Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #401
Teddy T-Bone
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper crashing when setting MIDI output to hardware control surface

I've just moved to version 6.0 and at the same time trying to add an Xtouch One control surface on Ubuntu 18.04.

I've had only limited success in making any of the input control work with Midi input set to control only using Mackie Control Universal and the XT1 set to Reaper mode.

However, when I try to set the midi output of the device to hardware, reaper immediately crashes when clicking on Apply or OK.

Is there some other setting that I'm missing or is this a bug?
Teddy T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #402
silksow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy T-Bone View Post
I've just moved to version 6.0 and at the same time trying to add an Xtouch One control surface on Ubuntu 18.04.
WOW, you have my respect for your ambition and faith lol - I rolled back with Timeshift within 20 min of trying out 6.0. Such an emotional rollercoaster, the excitement of a point release and then the subsequent crash of remembering the extent to which Linux is an afterthought. And then how lucky that we have Reaper at all.

In any case, just consider this a bump for the brave!
Old 12-08-2019, 01:34 AM   #403
shosty

How do I stop SWS telling me there is an update to download every time I open Reaper? There is no download for linux.
shosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:05 AM   #404
cfillion

Perhaps you have notifications for Beta releases enabled in Extensions > About SWS extensions? (The latest one has Linux downloads by the way: https://www.sws-extension.org/download/pre-release/)

Last edited by cfillion; 12-08-2019 at 03:18 AM.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:46 AM   #405
shosty

Ah I didn't notice the check for updates options, must have been the one place I missed. I had official releases checked but realise now it was telling to update because reaper itself was not at the latest version. Unchecked both releases and beta, and now I only get notified of reaper releases which makes much more sense for me.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #406
Celphor

Default 6.0.1 Linux, ALSA MIDI broken?

Hi,

i connected an old M-Audio Oxygen for testing.
dmesg and lsusb show the device, and it also appears in Reaper.

But I receive no midi events in Reaper. Virtual keyboard works.

I tested with aseqdump on the command line and see all events coming in.

So it must be a Reaper problem. Reset Midi in Reaper does not help.
Celphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #407
lilith93

Don't know if that's a bug, but I can't change the size of the IO window:

lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #408
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celphor View Post
Hi,

i connected an old M-Audio Oxygen for testing.
dmesg and lsusb show the device, and it also appears in Reaper.

But I receive no midi events in Reaper. Virtual keyboard works.

I tested with aseqdump on the command line and see all events coming in.

So it must be a Reaper problem. Reset Midi in Reaper does not help.
I'm using reaper601+dev1207_linux_x86_64 in Xubuntu 19.10 with a QuNexus MIDI keyboard and it works fine. However at some point it was set as "disabled" in the MIDI devices section in preferences. (When this happened, I don't know, because I seldom connect the controller.)

So check your preferences for MIDI devices and see that your device is enabled. (You'll probably have to physically connect it first.)

Also be sure to:

-set the input channel of the track to be your MIDI controller specifically (or "all MIDI inputs")
-enable monitoring
-arm for recording
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #409
Celphor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post

So check your preferences for MIDI devices and see that your device is enabled. (You'll probably have to physically connect it first.)

Also be sure to:

-set the input channel of the track to be your MIDI controller specifically (or "all MIDI inputs")
-enable monitoring
-arm for recording
It's connected and enabled

Of course armed and monitored, virtual keyboard is working ;-)

Thanks for your reply
Old 12-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #410
Stringer

Default Effects Window

I have been having a weird issue with the track effects lately. If I have two tracks, track one with no effects or some effects and track two with effects, and I open the effects window for the second track, it also opens the effects window for the first track and adds the effects from the second track to the effects of the first. This has happened three times. There is no routing or anything. It is just two bone simple tracks.

Is it possible that this is a problem with Tonelib GFX? Every time it has happened, Tonelib was in the second track, and it has started happening since Tonelib was updated, which fixed other problems but perhaps caused this one?

Linux Mint 18.3
Old 12-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #411
gnzg

Default Self-duplicating FX

Hey everyone, I made a reddit thread documenting what I believe to be a software bug on reaper, here's a copy of it :
Link here:https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comm..._software_bug/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a weird problem where the FX chain on a track gets copied on another track whenever I try to open the FX windowIt's kinda strange so I made a little video [VIDEO CAN BE FOUND ON THE ORIGINAL THREAD] where you can see a whole bunch of reasamplomatic being duplicated everytime I open the fx window

It only happens when I try to open the FX window by clicking on the "FX" button on the TCP, clicking on the same button on the mixer panel or using a keyboard shortcut won't cause an issue, so it isn't an existential threat, but it's still annoying

I'm trying to make a track template for a drum sampler with:-1 track with 8 Reasamplomatic5000, each with its own stereo channel (1/2 to 15/16) going in a folder track which receives all 16 inputs (and can be used to add fx to any of them) and them mixes them with a "8x Stereo to 1x Stereo", which is then sent to master as stereo 1/2

I saved the folder track as a track template and when I load it, the track inside with its FXs and routing is also loaded, which is great and exactly what I want, except for the fact that self duplicating fx chain which is puzzling the hell out of me

I have tried reverting to reaper 5.99 and it fixed the issue which makes me think it's a v6 bugThe bug appears on both v6.00 and v6.01I have created an account on the Reaper forum to report it but it hasn't been activated yet (apparently the admins have to do it manually ??)

EDIT9999: I made a bunch of edit documenting my process and then erased them all because I'm quite confused and I need to study this supernatural and unholy phenomenon more thoroughly

EDIT9̶̹̟̝̝̻͚͐́͆͆͑̿́̚ͅ³̷̜͙͉̤͈̓̅̏̿͂͐̊̕͝^̸̗̭̎͒͂͂̅̈́̓͌̚ ̜͈̳3̷̢́͌́͋̇̈́̃͘3̵̠̖̬̯͇̜̪́̈́͊̈́̈́̐2̴̧̖̮̣̙̼̯̝̭̒̔͠2̵̨̛̰͙́ ̡̩̭̱̩̜͉1̷͉̖̤̤̼̑͂̿̈͒1̸̳̦͙̌2̵̫̩̫̲̝̹̮̭̼̗͒̆͂̈́̂̽͆̿: The bug just... vanished ? I can't... I... What ?
I now live in terror knowing that it might resurface at any moment,
I will keep this updated if I find anything new on the topic
Reaper 6 looks great otherwise !

The last edit highlights an important part of the issue, which is that the bug may or may not trigger at times, and I don't know why exactly, but it still pops up every once in a while

Hope this is useful, if anyone has any feedback or has experienced the same issue, please message me
gnzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #412
Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnzg View Post
Hey everyone, I made a reddit thread documenting what I believe to be a software bug on reaper, here's a copy of it :
Link here:https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comm..._software_bug/

I have a weird problem where the FX chain on a track gets copied on another track whenever I try to open the FX windowIt's kinda strange so I made a little video [VIDEO CAN BE FOUND ON THE ORIGINAL THREAD] where you can see a whole bunch of reasamplomatic being duplicated everytime I open the fx window

It only happens when I try to open the FX window by clicking on the "FX" button on the TCP, clicking on the same button on the mixer panel or using a keyboard shortcut won't cause an issue, so it isn't an existential threat, but it's still annoying
Yes, this is the same problem I posted about in the previous message. If you are not using Tonelib GFX, this makes it clear that it is a Reaper bug.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #413
Jack Winter

See if you can make a minimum project that has the bug and a description of how to trigger it, then email it to cockos.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #414
FeedTheCat

Hey guys,

I have a weird issue where when I put the Actions Dialog on a secondary monitor and press "Find shortcut" (anything that opens another dialog actually) gnome-shell crashes. I would assume that it is a libswell issue but the coredump doesn't endorse my assumption.

Stack trace of thread 994:
#0 0x00007fadb2fc7f25 raise (libc.so.6)
#1 0x0000564d12ba59e9 n/a (gnome-shell)
#2 0x00007fadb2fc7fb0 __restore_rt (libc.so.6)
#3 0x00007fadb2fc7f25 raise (libc.so.6)

I'm not sure but I think it used to work just fine. My gnome-shell version is 3.34.1. Can anybody replicate? (Save your project first :P)
FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #415
Teddy T-Bone

Default More info on Reaper crash with Xtouch

Tried versions 6.01 and 5.99 with same result. Selecting "R" option on install script produces following crassh error:

ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c: 233: (snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC2D0 failed: Device or resource busy
alsa_rawmidi: error opening hw:One for input (-16)
ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c :100: (snd_rawmidi_hw_params) SNDRV_RAWMIDI_IOCTL_PARAMS failed: Device or resource busy
reaper: rawmidi.c: 274: snd_rawmidi_open_conf: Assertion `err >= 0' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

Here's the output of amidi -l

Dir Device Name
IO hw:2,0,0 X-Touch One MIDI 1

Can anyone offer insight or additional debugging suggestions?

Quote:

I've had only limited success in making any of the input control work with Midi input set to control only using Mackie Control Universal and the XT1 set to Reaper mode.

However, when I try to set the midi output of the device to hardware, reaper immediately crashes when clicking on Apply or OK.

Is there some other setting that I'm missing or is this a bug?
Teddy T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 12:15 AM   #416
Celphor

Quote:
Tried versions 6.01 and 5.99 with same result. Selecting "R" option on install script produces following crassh error:

ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c: 233: (snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC2D0 failed: Device or resource busy
alsa_rawmidi: error opening hw:One for input (-16)
ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c :100: (snd_rawmidi_hw_params) SNDRV_RAWMIDI_IOCTL_PARAMS failed: Device or resource busy
reaper: rawmidi.c: 274: snd_rawmidi_open_conf: Assertion `err >= 0' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

Here's the output of amidi -l

Dir Device Name
IO hw:2,0,0 X-Touch One MIDI 1

Can anyone offer insight or additional debugging suggestions?
Looks like the MIDI In Port is already opened by another program or REAPER itself (Preferences Audio/MIDI Devices)

If you don't start Reaper and try aseqdump -p <your port id>, can you see input?
Old 12-15-2019, 10:46 AM   #417
petervh

I've recently installed Reaper on Ubuntu, and noticed a small GUI window resizing bug.

When I load Reaktor, and pull the right corner to resize the GUI, the GUI extends outside the bounds of the Reaper VST window. If I close the window, and reopen, the GUI window adheres to the dimensions of the VST GUI that were previously selected. Whereas, on OSX, when you resize the VST GUI, the Reaper VST window resizes with it.

I don't currently have any other VST's installed that can be resized in this manner, so I have only tested with Reaktor.

I have made a GIF to show the behaviour:
https://gfycat.com/safeallgnatcatcher
petervh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #418
shosty

I think the default locations of the installer are not right. I can't ever remember seeing ~/opt in many years of using linux.

The standard user install location would be ~/.local/opt (or always used to be). I can see that having it in a hidden directory could perhaps open up an issue of non computer savvy people being unable to find it but isn't ~/.config/REAPER the default place for settings etc?

It would seem better to make a user choose best practice if they don't have another specific preference.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:39 PM   #419
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
I think the default locations of the installer are not right. I can't ever remember seeing ~/opt in many years of using linux.

The standard user install location would be ~/.local/opt (or always used to be). I can see that having it in a hidden directory could perhaps open up an issue of non computer savvy people being unable to find it but isn't ~/.config/REAPER the default place for settings etc?

It would seem better to make a user choose best practice if they don't have another specific preference.
Hmm... not sure about this - opinions seem to differ on the subject. For example, there's an interesting article here which argues precisely the opposite. There's also a discussion about it here
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #420
Lokasenna

Really, as long as it's not ~/.reaper I'm happy either way. Not sure why so many people think it's okay to pollute my home folder with their installs.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #421
Xasman

FWIW, I always use the default number 1 install (to /opt) and prefer it that way because I always backup my home folder, which includes my Reaper configuration files (in ~/.config) but doesn't needlessly backup the Reaper program install itself as well.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #422
shosty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Hmm... not sure about this - opinions seem to differ on the subject. For example, there's an interesting article here which argues precisely the opposite. There's also a discussion about it here
Yeah I know there has always been some debate about that but I've always understood it as binary installs go to /opt and self compiled programs go to /usr/local.

I would think that, if ~/.local/opt is generally not preferred then, it should be ~/.opt, I don't want to see an opt directory if I have set to hide hidden directories. There's not really any reason for this to be so 'surface level', if a user doesn't want to see 'system files' then ~/opt is a glaring inconsistency.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #423
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shosty View Post
...I've always understood it as binary installs go to /opt and self compiled programs go to /usr/local.
Yes, that's my understanding too, so doesn't it make sense that, since REAPER is a binary install it should go into /opt? If it's not in your home directory you don't have to look at it there at all.

Another advantage to me with this setup is that I have two user accounts on my Linux machine (both of which are really mine) and so I can access REAPER from either one of them, and even have a different configuration on each!
Old 01-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #424
ryukau

Default Re: VST3 plugin with GUI makes REAPER segfaults

Hi.

It turned out that VST 3 GUI bug was at my fault. Sorry for wrong report.

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=381

To enable VST 3 GUI using VSTGUIEditor class, I had to bring RunLoop class from VST3Editor class source code. RunLoop class is written in `vstgui4/vstgui/plugin-bindings/vst3editor.cpp`.
ryukau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #425
maethi

Default Fan & CPU Temp go wild

Hi everyone!

After getting fed up with bugs and limitations in Ardour I've wanted to switch to Reaper. But for the last few months that I kept downloading the latest version, as soon as I start Reaper, before I even open a project, the fan gets loud and within 3min the CPU temperature is at 100°C (212°F). Interestingly the CPU usage is fine, Reaper uses 2-3% and no other background process goes wild either. As soon as I close Reaper, everything goes back to normal within seconds.

I run Arch with the 5.4.15 Zen kernel and the performance CPU governor on a Lenovo X230, no Pulse Audio, only ALSA and Jack2.

I'd appreciate any help because this way I simply can't run Reaper. I'd rather not install Wine. Despite what everybody says it has never ever worked well for anything with me.

Best, Maethi
maethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:18 AM   #426
eufex

Hi

I think I may have found a bug:

I'm using ReaInsert on a track to route midi to an external device and audio back in (several tracks actually).
I now wish to render the audio inside of Reaper.
If I select one of the tracks and choose Render tracks to stereo stem tracks (and mute originals) the render process will begin for a few second and then Reaper completely crashes out.

Selecting Freeze track instead will delete the ReaInsert from the channel completely and perform no other action.
eufex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #427
lightnb

Running Version 6.03. Here's the issues so far:

1. Sometimes, but not always, no button appears on the task bar, so if you minimize Repear, there is no way to restore it.

2. Reaper does not play nice with Linux window managers where focus follows cursor. ie. Open the routing box. If your mouse moves off the routing box, the main window focuses and the routing box closes. This occurs even if you, for example, add a new send and you hover over a drop down option that extends beyond the box border. Once you click, your mouse is out of the box and the box closes. Box should not close unless you explicitly close it, or another routing button is clicked.

3. Reaper does not respect window manager functions like "always on top".

4. Reaper should use the native file dialogs instead of implementing it's own. Open/Save/etc dialogs don't have critical features like favorite places or even a "create a folder" button. You have to create your folder in a window manager first, THEN save in reaper since you can't create folders. Even so, favorite places and other drives aren't there, and Reaper defaults to a stupid directory every time you open the dialog, like ~/.config/something.

5. Clicking settings button (gear) in Kontakt sometimes crashes reaper.

6. There's a whole lot of this in the terminal:

[CODE]
002b:fixme:shell:IDropTargetHelper_fnShow (0x5aef90)->(0)
002b:fixme:shell:IDropTargetHelper_fnShow (0x5aef90)->(1)
[CODE]

7. Sometimes audio just goes all glitchy for no reason.
lightnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:39 PM   #428
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufex View Post
I'm using ReaInsert on a track to route midi to an external device and audio back in (several tracks actually).
I now wish to render the audio inside of Reaper.
If I select one of the tracks and choose Render tracks to stereo stem tracks (and mute originals) the render process will begin for a few second and then Reaper completely crashes out.

Selecting Freeze track instead will delete the ReaInsert from the channel completely and perform no other action.
Using ReaInsert to send to hardware, and receive the audio back again, you can't just render it as though your external audio hardware is a plugin dealing with audio "in the DAW". You need to record audio to the track as though it's any other live audio that you'd record with a microphone or DI (etc.) It can only be processed live, due to the hardware requiring the audio being played live through it.

Here's a video with an example of this being done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMAup8OQ_7s

Alternately I imagine you could use ReaInsert on the input fx bin of the track you're recording audio to. In that case you wouldn't select "record output" for the track, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightnb View Post
5. Clicking settings button (gear) in Kontakt sometimes crashes reaper.

7. Sometimes audio just goes all glitchy for no reason.
#5: That's probably an issue with whatever you're using to bridge Kontakt, since it's not a native Linux plugin. There's a thread on this forum for using Windows plugins in Reaper for Linux, and Kontakt is discussed there. Maybe that will be of some help (sorry but I don't use any Windows plugins).

#7: I don't have that happen, and I haven't noticed other users mentioning it either, so you'd need to provide details about how to reproduce it.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 02-08-2020 at 07:49 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:21 AM   #429
Hypex

Default Corrupted time in Transport Bar

Hi guys.

I've just noticed this tonight. When I am playing a song here the play time is corrupted. The numbers are negative and the last few digits just keep bouncing from one to another. The song is just under 8 minutes and is playing from the start if that can make any sense. I've taken some screen shots. I'm using Reaper v6.0 on Linux Mint.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2020-02-11 21-00-27.png (7.6 KB, 222 views)
File Type: png Screenshot from 2020-02-11 19-23-30.png (11.5 KB, 202 views)
Hypex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:15 PM   #430
lightnb

Is there any way to make the MIDI editor and Mixer windows actually separate windows? They look like separate windows, but are parented to the main reaper window, o only one button appears on the task bar and they focus together, with the midi editor or mixer always being on top. It would be great to make these separate windows. The Rearticulate plugin window is actually a separate window.
lightnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #431
clepsydrae

Yeah, window issues like that come up for me a lot in reaper on linux (Kubuntu/KDE, in my case).
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #432
drewofdoom

Default REAPER/Mutter conflict

Hey guys, I posted a while back about an issue I was having with Reaper running under a GNOME-based desktop (anything running Mutter) where a crash would occur when opening certain dialogs - save/routing/etc.

I finally pinned down the reproducibility of it. It only occurs if the dialog you're spawning is opening on a non-primary monitor.

For example, if I try to save an FX chain, it will crash if the FX chain dialog is on monitor 2. No problems if it's on monitor 1. It's 100% reproducible for me on AMD and Intel, X and Wayland.

I'm absolutely willing to do some troubleshooting if anyone wants to look into this issue further. Just let me know!

I've got a workaround, and no one seemed to care last time I reported it, so I'm not really expecting it to go anywhere. But if anyone else hits this bug, there's your workaround!
drewofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #433
clepsydrae

That's awesome, Drew -- reproducibility is huge. :-) what I would do is make a separate thread in the Linux subforum rather than tagging on to this. Despite it's sticky prominence in the subforum, my impression is that the current best practice for reporting linux bugs is to make a thread. (This was the thread that existed before the linux subforum existed, IIRC.) I would put as much detail as possible (as you have already, perhaps) with steps to reproduce, making sure to use the latest version and a portable/unconfigured install.

(Someone correct me if this is still the right place to report bugs... maybe we should close out this thread if it's not?)
Old 03-10-2020, 02:31 AM   #434
royleith

Default Control Key and Action

*********See after horizontal line********

I think I know the answer to this one. I was watching a video from some guy called Kenny about V6 when I noticed he brought up Preferences with the Apple key and a comma. I had been using CTRL P. I checked the shortcuts and mine was still set to CTRL P.

I wanted to add a shortcut to close the current project. When I checked the Actions settings I found that the Control key was not detected and could not, therefore, be allocated to an Action. I used the Windows/logo key, instead.

I have been using Linux Reaper through several of the previous V5 incarnations and have just installed new versions over the top of the existing, in order not to lose any of my settings. I am, now, up to V6.05 and have continued to do this, but I suspect that this is the cause of the problem.

Is there a way to do a fresh install of V6, but not lose my existing prefs, templates and other settings?

__________________________________________________ _______________________________-

In fact, I did not know the answer. I copied the install .zip and pasted and extracted it elsewhere. I ran the reaper file. The new instance still refers to the installed Reaper settings and so I suppose the Opt folder is included in the path.

In fact, only CTR+F1-F4 don't work. I changed to CTRL+F5 and all was well. I checked in Kubuntu System Settings to see if there were any keyboard shortcuts already allocated to those key combinations and found there were not. There was, however, some amazing Linux keyboard stuff that I must try, sometime!

I ran a couple of browsers and Open Office and tried the shortcuts, but they had no effect. I did, however, find that CTRL+F1 minimises the current window and CTRL+F2 restores it. There must be similar functions allocated to CTRL+F3 and CTRL+F4 that I have not found.

So, not a bug, but a Linux feature!

Last edited by royleith; 03-12-2020 at 07:43 AM. Reason: New Information
royleith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:59 AM   #435
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by royleith View Post
I wanted to add a shortcut to close the current project. When I checked the Actions settings I found that the Control key was not detected and could not, therefore, be allocated to an Action.
It should be detected (works fine for me) -- maybe it's possible that your window manager was capturing whatever combination you were trying to assign? This happens a lot in linux for me... lots of handy shortcuts I have assigned in my WM that I can't use in reaper as a result...

Quote:
I have been using Linux Reaper through several of the previous V5 incarnations and have just installed new versions over the top of the existing, in order not to lose any of my settings. I am, now, up to V6.05 and have continued to do this, but I suspect that this is the cause of the problem.
I'd be very surprised. Reaper doesn't really build up "cruft" like other software (I have literally never heard of an issue caused by this for Reaper, but maybe I missed one). A much more likely source of issues is settings changes made in reaper, which of course will be preserved by copying them from one install to another. (All that said, I don't think any of this has to do with your shortcut assignment issue.)

Quote:
Is there a way to do a fresh install of V6, but not lose my existing prefs, templates and other settings?
You should learn about (and use, IMO) portable installs. See the link in my signature. For linux, this just means copying your ~/.REAPER somewhere and then running reaper via command line with a -cfgfile option.

I don't know how you're installing, but every linux install of reaper is a "fresh" install because the new app just lives in its own directory. You just download the archive and put it wherever you want.

In terms of export/import, though, you can always go to reaper preferences, and use the "Export configuration..." and "Import configuration..." buttons to export/import configs. But again, you probably don't need to, because your ~/.REAPER is sitting in your home directory, and any new reaper install will look for it unless told to look elsewhere using -cfgfile.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #436
Ral-Clan

Default Reaper stuttering when anything else selected with mouse

Hi,

I'm using Reaper 6.5 under Lubuntu 18.04LTS.
Whever I move a window or select anything else with the mouse during playback, there is about a half second of freezing in the playback (a gap of silence).

For example, if I am listening to playback and move a track volume slider, when I release the slider (let go of the mouse button after moving it), the playback will freeze for 1/2 second. Same if I move a window (i.e. or do other things that involve the mouse). This happens about 50% of the time.

Same if I open a menu at the top of the screen, etc. Always about 50% of the time.

It also happens randomly during playback, even if I do nothing (split second of freezing).

My audio device is set to ALSA (Audiophile 192 card) and latency to 256. Also happens if I select PulseAUDIO as my audio device. I do not have a real-time Kernal (not sure if it is possible to install one in Lubuntu).

EDIT: I found that adjusting the blocksize in the ALSA audiodevice improves it. I have to increase blocksize to 256 in order for the freezing to stop (this is on a four track test song). This is even though my CPU is not loaded (25% CPU usage on an old dual core Pentium machine).

Last edited by Ral-Clan; 03-15-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Ral-Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #437
sbungay

Default Hang when using menus...

Occasionally (thankfully) Reaper will go unresponsive when using the menus. The only way to recover is to kill the process and restart, whereupon it all works as expected. I've never lost anything because of this (save and save often), but it is quite disconcerting that the menus can lock up the program.
Anyone else experience this?
sbungay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #438
clepsydrae

Not exactly as you describe, perhaps; I experience something like that when window management goes awry; there's a dialog that has popped up somewhere and so the main window is unusable, but the dialog window is behind the main window, or off screen, or on another monitor behind a window hiding in the corner, etc. Sometimes I need to juggle things around to find it. I use "present windows" on KDE to show all the windows and sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Maybe that's what's happening to you? This kind of thing happens on Windows too (not in reaper, IIRC) but it's more common on linux, unfortunately. Fortunately, it's a little easier to deal with on linux in some ways.

I believe with some window managers you can configure the task switcher to show each application vs each window (the latter showing dialog windows as their own options, rather than conflating.) Seem to remember windows has this as well.

With your hang, is there CPU usage?
Old 03-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #439
sbungay

Default Cpu usage after hang...

Yes, but the task is unresponsive,almost like it has entered a race condition. Clicking on the close gadget in the upper right results in "Reaper is not responding", only way to close is to get the PID and kill it. I've been using Linux for 20 years now, never seen this kind of behaviour before... but then there's a first time for everything.
sbungay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #440
clepsydrae

I feel like I've seen that exact behavior with window issues, but I might be making it up (a little cursory testing right now did not show that behavior.) What's your distro/DE?