Thonex
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Hey FTC,

here's the video and sorry for the rambling

https://nextcloud.stephanroemer.net/...agt4dHmSQw9aBH
Very cool Stevie!!

Yeah... Cubendo had a Solo button in the MIDI editor so only what was open in the Editor was heard.

I liked that... and you found a way to do that. Will have to look more closely.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:18 AM   #122
reapero

I also have this "Solo" button in the midi editor, ala Cubase. I, however, dont link to selected items but to selected tracks, since item selection is linked to track selection in my settings.

So, in practice, the only thing that the midi edtior "solo" button is doing is sending the solo command to the Main screen b(that isnt really how it works in Cubase but does the trick 95% of the times here).
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:09 AM   #123
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedTheCat View Post
Very interesting! I really like the soloing concept. I recently was playing around with the new solo items stuff and made a simple action to solo items under mouse cursor. Also added it to ReaPack if anybody's interested. I'll definitely now use the action "Item properties: Toggle solo" to replicate what you are doing. Thx!

As you mentioned, the issue is that there is no way (that I know of) to find out which items are visible in the editor. The only thing I can think of at the moment is using the selection link.

Anyways, I don't know when I'll get to adding multi-editing to MeMagic. That might get a bit complicated. I quickly put together a script called "FTC_Multi edit scroll" which is very similar to the multi edit zoom script. It's now on ReaPack. It opens all selected items in the editor and scrolls to their center. Didn't test it much, hope it works
If anyone wants to check it out, here’s the solo action I’m using: (not the auto one!)
https://reaper.hector-corcin.com/app...selected-items

Thanks FTC, your script works perfectly! And I don’t think it‘s necessary to add this to MEMagic.
An auxiliary script like this one is perfectly fine for that use case!
Old 07-27-2020, 02:17 AM   #124
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapero View Post
I also have this "Solo" button in the midi editor, ala Cubase. I, however, dont link to selected items but to selected tracks, since item selection is linked to track selection in my settings.

So, in practice, the only thing that the midi edtior "solo" button is doing is sending the solo command to the Main screen b(that isnt really how it works in Cubase but does the trick 95% of the times here).
Yeah I had a thought about that, too. But the issue is that this will arm all selected tracks, if you have auto-arm enabled (which I do).
Old 07-27-2020, 06:42 AM   #125
reapero

Quote:
Yeah I had a thought about that, too. But the issue is that this will arm all selected tracks, if you have auto-arm enabled (which I do).
You are right. I also have auto-arm enabled. I usually open multiple items when the sequences are already recorded so i almost never record again, thats why this didnt bother me s far.

I have setup Ctrl+ Tab to the action "Activate Next Visible Item" in the MIDI editor. Perhaps you can use JS_ReascriptAPI to get the name of the track (from the midi item name in the midi editor for example) and select it and assign to Ctrl + Tab as well. Then visibility and arm-recording would go together. Just a thought..

Anyway sorry for the offtopic.

Quote:
I'm not even keeping it pressed (which is fun though), but I just click to the right of the editor to scroll right a bit, to the top to scroll up a bit, etc. I think it's starting to grow on me.
I like this approach, although sometimes its a bit too much. All the midi notes move suddenly and you easily get lost or lose the position on some notes.

I am not sure if this is already there (you did soo much stuff!) but let me ask: is there a way to have this behaviour only when you get close to the edges of the midi editor? This way the notes wont move when i click around the center and only when it kinda makes sense.

cheers

Last edited by reapero; 07-27-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #126
FeedTheCat

Quote:
If anyone wants to check it out, here’s the solo action I’m using: (not the auto one!)
https://reaper.hector-corcin.com/app...selected-items
I ended up using the action "Item properties: Toggle solo exclusive" assigned to a global hotkey. Has been working really well for me so far
Quote:
Thanks FTC, your script works perfectly! And I don’t think it‘s necessary to add this to MEMagic.
An auxiliary script like this one is perfectly fine for that use case!
Nice! What I want to add to MeMagic (at some point) is that it will be capable of analyzing all selected items, instead of only the active editor item. This way all actions (contextual and standalone) will also work for multi-editing. Actions like scroll to highest note of all selected items etc. But yeah, it's definitely no priority. I'm working on a different beast atm

Quote:
I like this approach, although sometimes its a bit too much. All the midi notes move suddenly and you easily get lost or lose the position on some notes.

I am not sure if this is already there (you did soo much stuff!) but let me ask: is there a way to have this behaviour only when you get close to the edges of the midi editor? This way the notes wont move when i click around the center and only when it kinda makes sense.
If I understand correctly, you want the horizontal movements to be slower? I have implemented some smoothing, but tbh I didn't finetune it much. Could you change a number in the script and tell me if that's better?

In line 1095 I'm calculating a factor:

Code:
local factor = math.abs(cursor_diff / hlength * 2)
Can you change the 2 to something like 0.2 (smaller numbers make transitions slower) and see if that feels better?
FeedTheCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:39 AM   #127
reapero

Thanks FeedTheCat!

I changed the value but nothing seemed to happen.

But my thought was not that the scrolling was too fast (although that might indeed help to have a better understanding on what happened).

What i meant to say is that when you are clicking in the center of the midi editor you dont need scrolling, cause you can already see what you are doing. I ´d want the scrolling to happen when i need the scrolling, cause i cant see stuff that is too much on the left/right/above/below.

So, in the picture below, only clicking on the red rectangle areas would trigger the MEMagic scrpt.

Does it make sense?
Old 07-28-2020, 01:48 AM   #128
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Thanks FeedTheCat!

I changed the value but nothing seemed to happen.
It should only make it slower when keeping the button pressed

Quote:
So, in the picture below, only clicking on the red rectangle areas would trigger the MEMagic scrpt.

Does it make sense?
Yes, thanks for the picture. I'll have a look into it. Could you tell me how you are using the script? Why are you using the script in the center when you don't want to scroll? As you keep saying "clicking" I get the feeling you are using it as a mouse modifier.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:56 AM   #129
reapero

Exactly, i have it as mouse modifier on left click on the "MIDI Piano roll" context.

Dont sweat it though, perhaps i am the only one using it this way I tend to skip keycommands whenever is possible
Old 08-11-2020, 03:41 AM   #130
outpatient

this stuff is fantastic and basically fixed all my remaining issues with MIDI editing in REAPER.

one bug is if you like to work with loop points not linked to time selection, what happens is loop points get erased (if you have no time sel) or they get reset to the existing time selection.

the fix is super easy (fingers crossed, it doesn't seem to have broken anything so far...) - find the getSelection function and change the second false in getSetLoopTimeRange to true. now the horizontal zoom portion should remember your loop points independently of any time selection.
outpatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:25 AM   #131
reapero

Hey outpatient

Do you care to describe which were the issues that this script fixed please?
Old 08-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #132
outpatient

Quote:
Hey outpatient

Do you care to describe which were the issues that this script fixed please?
the stock 'zoom to content' action does a bunch of stuff that drives me mad:

1. it doesn't work for items containing notes of only one pitch. instead it zooms out centered on middle C.

2. when it does zoom vertically, there isn't really a sane limit on how far in it will go, so you may have to fix your zoom manually. what's doubly annoying is the pitch cursor gets used as the vertical zoom center (if it's on screen) so when you tweak your vertical zoom it scrolls to the pitch cursor, which requires you to then scroll back to what you were looking at...

3. it always zooms out to the full length of the item. there's basically no action available that lets you only zoom vertically to notes, which makes for a bunch of wasted time fiddling with zooming/scrolling.

tl;dr I've always wanted to scroll/zoom vertically to notes with a key press while (1) not messing up my horizontal zoom settings and (2) having a comfortable limit on how far in the vertical zoom will go.
outpatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #133
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by outpatient View Post
this stuff is fantastic and basically fixed all my remaining issues with MIDI editing in REAPER.
Thx outpatient, glad you're finding use in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by outpatient View Post
one bug is if you like to work with loop points not linked to time selection, what happens is loop points get erased (if you have no time sel) or they get reset to the existing time selection.

the fix is super easy (fingers crossed, it doesn't seem to have broken anything so far...) - find the getSelection function and change the second false in getSetLoopTimeRange to true. now the horizontal zoom portion should remember your loop points independently of any time selection.
Thx for reporting, should be fixed in all scripts now.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #134
mozart999uk

These are amazing scripts. The inconsistent zoom behaviour was driving me mad in Reaper but this has almost 100% fixed it.

One thing I'd like to be able to do, is to select multiple items in the arrange, double click one of them and have the midi editor open up with the zoom set vertically and horizontally to all the previously selected items.

However, setting the "media item - left double click" to one of your actions means that only the double clicked item gets opened in the editor.

If I change the "media item - left double click" to the default "midi: open in editor" it works as I want.

Is there a way round that?
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:52 AM   #135
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Is there a way round that?
Yeah, there should be. Are you trying to use a MeMagic or a Multi-edit standalone script? Also, out of curiosity, what do you have assigned to simple left click on items?
Old 08-13-2020, 07:59 AM   #136
mozart999uk

Quote:
Yeah, there should be. Are you trying to use a MeMagic or a Multi-edit standalone script? Also, out of curiosity, what do you have assigned to simple left click on items?
Thanks! I've tried "FTC_MeMagic 2-3"

and "multi edit zoom".

My left click is set to "select item".
Old 08-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #137
FeedTheCat

Quote:
My left click is set to "select item".
Wow, ok then it won't be simple. It's actually related to your bug report. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll try:

When you double click on an item, both left and double click modifier actions are executed. (From a programming perspective this is because you don't know if a second click is going to follow the first). The left click will set the item under the cursor as the only selected item (based on your settings). Now any action that you use for double click will happen after this selection change. If you use the action "open in built-in MIDI editor", as you do in your bug report, it will only open this one item.

But why does it work with the default double click setting (MIDI: open in editor...)? My theory is that it works because the devs added some fancy extra logic, which undoes the left click selection change.

So basically, the only way I can think of to make this work is with undo. I'll try some things and get back to you.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:25 PM   #138
FeedTheCat

I just updated both Multi-edit scripts. There's quite a few improvements:
  • Support for double click mouse modifier.
  • Multi-edit zoom now features the latest MeMagic zooming algorithms. Should be quite a bit faster than before.
  • The editor should now be flushed more reliably, so that only the selected items are visible in all cases.

You can double click on multiple MIDI items, and keep them all selected (see GIF)! This behavior is enabled by default when selection is linked to visibility. But you can also enable it by using the script setting "keep_items_selected".

Old 08-14-2020, 01:34 AM   #139
mozart999uk

Quote:
Wow, ok then it won't be simple. It's actually related to your bug report. It's kind of hard to explain, but I'll try:

When you double click on an item, both left and double click modifier actions are executed. (From a programming perspective this is because you don't know if a second click is going to follow the first). The left click will set the item under the cursor as the only selected item (based on your settings). Now any action that you use for double click will happen after this selection change. If you use the action "open in built-in MIDI editor", as you do in your bug report, it will only open this one item.

But why does it work with the default double click setting (MIDI: open in editor...)? My theory is that it works because the devs added some fancy extra logic, which undoes the left click selection change.

So basically, the only way I can think of to make this work is with undo. I'll try some things and get back to you.
Thanks :-) I really appreciate you explaining and going into detail. And also for your offer of trying to make it work for me. Really really grateful!!!! :-)

Last edited by mozart999uk; 08-14-2020 at 01:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-14-2020, 02:48 AM   #140
mozart999uk

Can I just check...has anything changed with:

"FTC Me magic (2-3) Horizontally zoom to item and vertically zoom to all notes in item?"

If I open multiple items in the editor, and then run this script, it no longer zooms vertically to all notes.

Unless perhaps it never did and I've not checked it before with multiple selections....
Old 08-14-2020, 03:06 AM   #141
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Can I just check...has anything changed with:

"FTC Me magic (2-3) Horizontally zoom to item and vertically zoom to all notes in item?"

If I open multiple items in the editor, and then run this script, it no longer zooms vertically to all notes.

Unless perhaps it never did and I've not checked it before with multiple selections....
Hmm not sure what you mean exactly. The MeMagic scripts only zoom to the active item, similar to the built-in Zoom to content action. It's not aware of secondary items, only the active MIDI editor item and its content. I'm planning to add multi-editing capabilities to MeMagic at some point, for now only the two Multi-Edit scripts work like that.

FYI, you might want to sync ReaPack. I pushed an update earlier today that disables "keep_items_selected" by default. Does the Multi edit zoom script now work as you expected as a double click modifier? I'm really loving the double click to open multiple items btw, I never use Windows so I didn't even know it was possible
Old 08-14-2020, 06:20 AM   #142
mozart999uk

BOOM! Nailed it! Thanks so much :-)

On my donation list!
Old 08-14-2020, 06:36 AM   #143
mozart999uk

Sorry off topic....

How does your side mixer script work?
Old 08-14-2020, 03:14 PM   #144
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Sorry off topic....

How does your side mixer script work?
You have to set up two screen windows sets. One for default (floating or docked mixer or whatever you like) and one for side mixer (watch Kenny's vid). By default the script toggles between window screen set 1 (default) and 2 (side mixer), but you can change the numbers inside the script.

I would only recommend this script to people that already use a side mixer in their workflow. It basically only fixes the minor issue of dragging fx & sends without scrolling the mixer and it looks/feels a bit better. I was using a side mixer for a long time and it always felt to me like reaper was just not intended to be used in this way (it's not ). The script is a bit overkill for what it does, this should be native. The devs could easily implement this in 1-2 hours.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:30 AM   #145
_Stevie_

Quote:
I just updated both Multi-edit scripts. There's quite a few improvements:
  • Support for double click mouse modifier.
  • Multi-edit zoom now features the latest MeMagic zooming algorithms. Should be quite a bit faster than before.
  • The editor should now be flushed more reliably, so that only the selected items are visible in all cases.

You can double click on multiple MIDI items, and keep them all selected (see GIF)! This behavior is enabled by default when selection is linked to visibility. But you can also enable it by using the script setting "keep_items_selected".

Dude, that’s just brilliant!
Old 08-15-2020, 10:00 AM   #146
Breeder

I'm looking through scripts for this kind of combination:

do this:
Script: FTC_MeMagic (1-8) Vertically scroll to center of notes in item.lua

and then do this:
Script: FTC_MeMagic (1-2) Vertically zoom to notes in visible area.lua

but only do the second step if not all notes end up visible after doing the scrolling.

Is this already solved through these scripts?
Breeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:08 PM   #147
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Dude, that’s just brilliant!
Thought you might like it I'm really loving the Multi-edits scripts for double click now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeder View Post
I'm looking through scripts for this kind of combination:

do this:
Script: FTC_MeMagic (1-8) Vertically scroll to center of notes in item.lua

and then do this:
Script: FTC_MeMagic (1-2) Vertically zoom to notes in visible area.lua

but only do the second step if not all notes end up visible after doing the scrolling.

Is this already solved through these scripts?
Hi Breeder,

No it isn't. Except if you only want this combination because the vertical zoom script is zooming in too far. Then you could change the setting 'min_vertical_notes' to a higher value.

The combination you want is actually a really tricky one. There isn't an easy way (that I'm aware of) to detect if a note is out vision. You could modify a script (FTC_MeMagic (1-8)...) to make it work. Add the following code to line 712:

Code:
target_range = pitch_range
target_row = backup_target_row or target_row
// Add this
if target_range < (note_hi - note_lo) / 2 then
    if active_row and active_row ~= '' then
        reaper.MIDIEditor_SetSetting_int(hwnd, setting, active_row)
    end
    zoomToPitchRange(hwnd, item, note_lo, note_hi)
    return
end
Old 08-16-2020, 09:36 AM   #148
_Stevie_

Quote:
Thought you might like it I'm really loving the Multi-edits scripts for double click now.
Yes! I really wish it was possible to prevent the UI update when undoing the selection. But then the script would need to be executed before the actual click
Old 08-17-2020, 02:48 AM   #149
mozart999uk

Quote:
You have to set up two screen windows sets. One for default (floating or docked mixer or whatever you like) and one for side mixer (watch Kenny's vid). By default the script toggles between window screen set 1 (default) and 2 (side mixer), but you can change the numbers inside the script.

I would only recommend this script to people that already use a side mixer in their workflow. It basically only fixes the minor issue of dragging fx & sends without scrolling the mixer and it looks/feels a bit better. I was using a side mixer for a long time and it always felt to me like reaper was just not intended to be used in this way (it's not ). The script is a bit overkill for what it does, this should be native. The devs could easily implement this in 1-2 hours.
Thanks so much. I'll give it a try. I liked having the side mixer style channel strip in Cubase so will be nice if I can get something similar :-)
Old 08-19-2020, 03:25 AM   #150
mozart999uk

I don't suppose there's anyway of getting any of your scripts to work in the inline midi editor is there?

I'm getting frustrated opening that up and always having to scroll and zoom to get to the notes I want :-(
Old 08-19-2020, 08:47 AM   #151
FeedTheCat

I don't think it's possible to run a inline editor action from inside a script (link). Otherwise it would be easy to port all the scripts. That kind of makes the inline editor (and the media explorer) a dead zone for scripters. A shame really, I'd love using the inline editor as well.

There should be a function like:
Code:
reaper.OnCommand(integer section, integer command, integer flag)
But if it doesn't exist at this point, I doubt it ever will.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #152
mozart999uk

Quote:
I don't think it's possible to run a inline editor action from inside a script (link). Otherwise it would be easy to port all the scripts. That kind of makes the inline editor (and the media explorer) a dead zone for scripters. A shame really, I'd love using the inline editor as well.

There should be a function like:
Code:
reaper.OnCommand(integer section, integer command, integer flag)
But if it doesn't exist at this point, I doubt it ever will.
Thanks for your speedy reply. Yeah I did wonder. Needs a bit of love really. I'll put a feature request in. You never know :-)
Old 08-22-2020, 01:16 PM   #153
daeavelwyn

Default [SOLVED] BUG -Can't export my Reaper configuration due to Read Error

Hello,

I'm using your wonderfull tool since a week now and it's a really good tool, thanks man !

However, I encounter an issue while trying to export my Reaper configuration to save it.

Here is the problem in picture : https://imgur.com/a/WqjEUJg

It seems some files are corrupted and can't be read by Reaper while it tries to export configuraiton.

I've installed it via Reapack packages and it's uptodate (as shown on the picture ) and I have already tried to delete/reinstall it but still got error.
If I manually delete the corrupted files, I can export without problems.

How can I solve this ?

Last edited by daeavelwyn; 08-22-2020 at 02:36 PM. Reason: issue Solved
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:24 PM   #154
FeedTheCat

Hmm weird, I can't reproduce it on Linux. Seems like the files that have the issue coincidentally also have the longest file names. Just pushed an update that slightly renames them, hopefully that solves it
Old 08-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #155
daeavelwyn

Quote:
Hmm weird, I can't reproduce it on Linux. Seems like the files that have the issue coincidentally also have the longest file names. Just pushed an update that slightly renames them, hopefully that solves it
I just tried to update / export my configuration and everything is now perfectly working

thanks !
daeavelwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:38 AM   #156
Skorobagatko

Strange behaviour of the script when I trigger it with Radial Menu. So when I click it with mouse it works as expected, but when I do it with keyboard it behaves different.

Maybe it's because it tries to scroll to mouse? How to make it ignore the mouse cursor then?

Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 01:38 PM   #157
FeedTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorobagatko View Post
Strange behaviour of the script when I trigger it with Radial Menu. So when I click it with mouse it works as expected, but when I do it with keyboard it behaves different.

Maybe it's because it tries to scroll to mouse? How to make it ignore the mouse cursor then?
I hadn't thought of it being launched from inside radial menu... I suggest you make a copy of the script and replace line 165

Code:
local cursor_pos = reaper.BR_GetMouseCursorContext_Position()
with

Code:
local cursor_pos = reaper.GetCursorPosition()
Old 11-11-2020, 06:14 AM   #158
Skorobagatko

Quote:
I hadn't thought of it being launched from inside radial menu... I suggest you make a copy of the script and replace line 165

Code:
local cursor_pos = reaper.BR_GetMouseCursorContext_Position()
with

Code:
local cursor_pos = reaper.GetCursorPosition()
Perfect, thank you!
Skorobagatko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #159
mozart999uk

Default Multi edit script - double click on item deselects track

Wonder if I can ask yet another question.

I'm using "FTC multi edit zoom" as my "double click on a media item" mouse modifier. It works brilliantly......except....

If I have a random track selected and then I double click on a midi media item on another track, to open it in the editor, it selects the track relating to my item, and then deselects it, so that I can't record inside the editor, i.e., I have no midi input into that midi media item while the editor is open because the track is not armed. (I have all my tracks set to "Automatic Record arm when selected" by default, so the track needs to be selected in order to allow midi input into the editor)

If I click on the track (that relates to my midi media item) first, then double click on the media item to open the editor, the track stays selected and I can record into the editor.

I can activate the record arm in the midi editor after opening to get round this.

However, the problem I have here is that, as I set all my tracks to "Automatic Record arm when selected", activating the "record arm" in the midi editor disables this on the selected track

Phew - looks complicated now I've written it down!

Any way around this?

EDIT: So it's not ideal but I can use the action "Archie select track of active midi editor" and put it on the right click menu in the editor. It's a bit cumbersome though....Can't see anyway of combining the Multi edit zoom script with this as they're actions in different sections....

Last edited by mozart999uk; 11-19-2020 at 09:43 AM. Reason: thought of something else
Old 11-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #160
FeedTheCat

Quote:
If I have a random track selected and then I double click on a midi media item on another track, to open it in the editor, it selects the track relating to my item, and then deselects it, so that I can't record inside the editor, i.e., I have no midi input into that midi media item while the editor is open because the track is not armed. (I have all my tracks set to "Automatic Record arm when selected" by default, so the track needs to be selected in order to allow midi input into the editor)
Hmm, I can't replicate this. I'm also using auto-arm a lot. Might be a setting.
A few questions that might help me figure this out.

1. Is "Preferences>Editing Behavior>Mouse>Mous click/edit in track view changes track selection" enabled?
2. What's your mouse modifier for left click on items (is it something weird?)
3. Are you using the script setting "keep_items_selected"?