Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #41
daxliniere
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
There should still be a key command or ESC to clear the selection so the user doesn't have to click outside the area selection.
I have no objection to an action for this, but I would be opposed to using ESC, since that gets used for a bunch of other things. I have Time select: Remove time selection bound to Backspace key.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #42
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdBird View Post
Can we get API for area selection if you guys are going to ignore very basic functionality.

Is this really easier than typing "I think we could use an action as well?"
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:20 AM   #43
swiiscompos

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
You should be able to, as long as the destination track has the same envelopes visible.
True, any reason why the envelopes have to be visible? It's not a big deal but it feels wrong. It's a matter of consistency because with envelope points following media items enabled, I can have items selected with also envelope points selected somewhere else, and I can move the resulting selection on any track whether the corresponding automation lanes are visible or not.

----------

A quick useability thing: currently when we move an area selection the items stay split if we change our mind and don't move the item or put it back where it was. The items should definitely not be split until there is a visible move (this problem happens with snap enabled), and I think they should be "glued" again if they are put back where they were.
swiiscompos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #44
RobinGShore

Quote:
We haven't implemented this feature yet for .aif. This was one of the reasons I put up that file format usage poll a while ago, to see which file formats we should focus on first.

https://forum.cockos.com/poll.php?do...lts&pollid=875
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation. I would agree with the poll results that you should prioritize wav files, but I do hope you add aiff support eventually. I've got a ton of aiff files in my sound effects library from way back when and it'd be nice to be able use these new metadata features with them.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #45
daxliniere

Quote:
improve horizontal guide line positioning [p=2318672]
I just saw this. THANK YOU!!
Old 07-15-2020, 09:24 AM   #46
daxliniere

Quote:
Can we get API for area selection if you guys are going to ignore very basic functionality.
Please remember you are reaching real people on the other end of your keyboard.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #47
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNJUK2 View Post
My theme all work Ok -look attachment !!!

set tcp.fxparm [3 55 125 20 0 0 1 1]
set tcp.fxparm.font [0 24 100 100 1 0 0 3]
set tcp.fxparm.margin [3 0 1 1 0]
;set tcp.fxembed [205 5 60 60 0 0 1 1]

set tcp.sendlist [137 55 97 20 1 0 1 1]
set tcp.sendlist.font [0 24]
Like i said, tcp.fxembed doesnt do anything, you have it commented out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Everything (Parameters and embedded Fx as before, now also sends and inserts) goes in the fxparam area. You can make a separate sends area as well/instead if you wish.
Yeah, that cleared it up, for some reason I had it i my nut that fxembed was the inserts, so the inserts i already had set up via tcp.fxparm is how it is, I thought the inserts had their own scalar hahaha.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #48
BirdBird

Quote:
Is this really easier than typing "I think we could use an action as well?"
I do apologize for the overreaction.
It is not clear to us whether "Just click outside the area selection" means "We won't implement this" or "It is not our priority right now".
Old 07-15-2020, 09:56 AM   #49
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
I do apologize for the overreaction.
It is not clear to us whether "Just click outside the area selection" means "We won't implement this" or "It is not our priority right now".
It just means that's how the functionality is currently supported. It's easy for us to add an action as well.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:01 AM   #50
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
+1 for adding an action for clearing area selection. There will have to be some thinking done how is gonna area selection co-live with time selection.
I'm certain there was an action to clear area selections in earlier builds, but it looks like they got rid of it. I even made a few custom actions that included it, but now those all have had the clear area selection action replaced with the action to move area selections backwards without contents.

Anyways, personally I don't find it super necessary to have a separate action now that moving the cursor or changing tracks clears the selection, but if other people think it would be useful it couldn't hurt. In the meantime if you make s custom action that clears then restores track selection, it should be effectively the same thing as an action to clear area selection.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #51
Vagelis

What am i missing here?? We can already clear all area selections on AS with left click mouse modifer - remove all area selections. Why is there an action needed?

AS functions imo should be implemented with mouse modifiers and not actions, that's how AS is working in any other DAW.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:18 AM   #52
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagelis View Post
What am i missing here?? We can already clear all area selections on AS with left click mouse modifer - remove all area selections. Why is there an action needed?
As BirdBird explained, so the user doesn't have to click, which is not preferable to many of us.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:23 AM   #53
Vagelis

Ahh ok, I prefer using the mouse than keyboard shortcuts, but since it's useful to other users fair enough
Old 07-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #54
krahosk

Quote:
It just means that's how the functionality is currently supported. It's easy for us to add an action as well.
:-) Don't get me started on this! If actions are easy to add, instead of the approximate
"Edit: insert note at nearest (note)"
we could have:
"Edit: insert note at C1" and for all the notes.
The applications for this with custom actions and scripts are musically infinite.
Sorry, out of line.

Last edited by krahosk; 07-15-2020 at 10:32 AM.
krahosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #55
RobinGShore

Quote:

AS functions imo should be implemented with mouse modifiers and not actions, that's how AS is working in any other DAW.
Other DAWs definitely let you edit area selections with actions/mouse modifiers. I can't speak for every program on the market but I know that at the very least Pro Tools and Cubase/Nuendo, both do. I would be surprised if others didn't as well.

If you don't want to use the actions just ignore them. I will never understand people who want to limit things for other users just because they themselves don't have use for some features.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #56
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
Other DAWs definitely let you edit area selections with actions/mouse modifiers. I can't speak for every program on the market but I know that at the very least Pro Tools and Cubase/Nuendo, both do. I would be surprised if others didn't as well.

If you don't want to use the actions just ignore them. I will never understand people who want to limit things for other users just because they themselves don't have use for some features.
Excuse me, but i was trying to avoid the limitation of clearing areas selections only by triggering an action because i misunderstood. Then I posted above that i don't have any problem of adding an action since it's going to be useful to other users? Noone is trying to limit anyoone chillout.

For sure i 'll ignore anything i won't use, it's just normal as any other user would do in a similar scenario...
Old 07-15-2020, 10:54 AM   #57
RobinGShore

Quote:
Excuse me, but i was trying to avoid the limitation of clearing areas selections only by triggering an action because i misunderstood. Then I posted above that i don't have any problem of adding an action since it's going to be useful to other users? Noone is trying to limit anyoone chillout.

For sure i 'll ignore anything i won't use, it's just normal as any other user would do in a similar scenario...
Sorry, didn't mean to get so heated.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #58
Vagelis

BTW other Daws doesn't need an action to copy their hidden envelopes as Reaper, which makes me wish if we had a mouse modifier to copy hidden envelopes, for example Bitwig.

And one last thing that i find as a limitation compared to other daws that i 've worked with, is that we can't move items with envelopes to another track if the envelopes of the destination track don't match.

I said it before and don't want to repeat myself, but personally i'd prefer if the criteria to do this were to match the number of lanes and not the parameters of the destination track.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #59
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to get so heated.
No hard feelings at all Cheers
Old 07-15-2020, 11:04 AM   #60
ferropop

Devs:

This is really bad behaviour to destructively-delete the content. Could it not be done as a trim?

Audio items don't behave this way - you AS Delete, the audio is still completely inside the item, untouched.
ferropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #61
nappies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
Devs:

This is really bad behaviour to destructively-delete the content. Could it not be done as a trim?

Audio items don't behave this way - you AS Delete, the audio is still completely inside the item, untouched.
"Allow trim of MIDI items when splitting" is off?
nappies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:38 AM   #62
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferropop View Post
This is really bad behaviour to destructively-delete the content.
Preferences > Options > Media > MIDI > Allow trim of MIDI items when splitting.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #63
deeb

I also don't like like finding a space for clicking to clear selections .. i think I wouldnt mind esc to clear selections for: media item , Ai, and AS and envelope points selection when the focus is on project.

But I don't know the implications that would arrise.

Actually the way I see :when I clear a selection it should do for everything which is selected, as like when I apply something it should apply to everything which is selected.

Last edited by deeb; 07-15-2020 at 11:46 AM.
deeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:12 PM   #64
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
I also don't like like finding a space for clicking to clear selections .. i think I wouldnt mind esc to clear selections for: media item , Ai, and AS and envelope points selection when the focus is on project.

But I don't know the implications that would arrise.

Actually the way I see :when I clear a selection it should do for everything which is selected, as like when I apply something it should apply to everything which is selected.
Agreed, Esc is directly mapped to muscle memory for "making something disappear".
Old 07-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #65
ferropop

Quote:
Preferences > Options > Media > MIDI > Allow trim of MIDI items when splitting.
Wonderful thank you, that was tucked away and missed it.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #66
daniellumertz

I'm a little confused with the mouse wheel over the MIDI CC

What is the order It changes the CC showing?

(from a blank item)

It seems to roll ( Used CC + Common CC + Velocity banks etc... ) And whenever I go down it goes back to Used CC
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #67
EvilDragon

OK yeah that doesn't look right.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #68
daniellumertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
I'm a little confused with the mouse wheel over the MIDI CC

What is the order It changes the CC showing?

(from a blank item)

It seems to roll ( Used CC + Common CC + Velocity banks etc... ) And whenever I go down it goes back to Used CC
oh I got it now, it rolls by used cc and if there is not an higer/ lower number it rolls in order, and ctrl +wheel is just in order .Very Nice !
daniellumertz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #69
bFooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellumertz View Post
oh I got it now, it rolls by used cc and if there is not an higer/ lower number it rolls in order, and ctrl +wheel is just in order .Very Nice !
I'd say that's a questionable decision from the UX point of, would need to be properly tested what to run with a modifier and what to run without.

At least one user here was already confused. I'd probably be too. And I would hardly thought about ctrl+wheel over a dropdown menu.
bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote