Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 08-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #1761
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyone View Post
Hi!

Been plowing through this thread. This is an excelent projekt! Exactly what I'v been looking for. Donation incomming!

I also have an X-Touch Compact and just started tinkering with CSI.

Regardning the Mute and Solo buttons I found a quirk. If I reverse the midi values it stays on and off but inverted (light is on when muted and of when unmuted).

Example:

Mute PressFB 80 10 00 90 10 7f (inversed order. light stay on/off following mute state)

Mute PressFB 90 10 7f 80 10 00 (Lights on as long as button is pressed then goes off)
Yeah that X-Touch Compact seems to be the knuckleball pitcher of control surfaces

I'm trying to see if I can borrow one locally and tackle it directly
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #1762
Jack Winter

Hi Geoff,

Now that Reaper for Linux has become more official, any chance we will see Linux support some day? I have an X32 in the practice room / studio, and would seriously consider buying an X-touch for home if I knew it could be made to work well.

I'd be more than willing to lend whatever support I could either for porting to Linux and/or improving the X32/X-touch support. I just don't run Windows or OS/X anymore
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #1763
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Yep, I'm pretty much all set, thanks for taking the time to indulge me Is it ok to share the files I'm using with anyone who has a similar setup?
Not indulging you, the MCU/XT/C4 combo is a great testbed for most functionality, especially when added to the Avid Artist Mixes, Control and Softube Console 1 here, makes for a reasonably heterogeneous test sample

Also wanted to make sure folks in general have enough to play around with in a meaningful way, whilst I go off to the OSC Crusades and pray I don't run into the Knights Who Say Nicht !!

Quote:
One last thing (pauses for Geoff to stop groaning) Could you put in the piece of code that makes the screen bank in sympathy with the surface (and vice versa)? Then I promise to disappear and leave you in peace
Not sure what you mean here ?

Quote:
I don't think so, my C4.axt has just one line- TrackOnSelection MapFXToWidgets, so to make the C4 display the FX on the Send page I just need to include C4.axt in the Send page setup (I don't really need to make C4Send.axt, as it will be identical to C4.axt)

I think you maybe assumed I'd already done this, but I haven't (so carried away with seeing those sends appear on the faders!)
Yes, I did assume that, I was talking about the fxt folder which you would also have to reference, as stated, the same one used on the other Page would be fine, unless you wanted different behaviour.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #1764
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Hi Geoff,

Now that Reaper for Linux has become more official, any chance we will see Linux support some day? I have an X32 in the practice room / studio, and would seriously consider buying an X-touch for home if I knew it could be made to work well.

I'd be more than willing to lend whatever support I could either for porting to Linux and/or improving the X32/X-touch support. I just don't run Windows or OS/X anymore
A bit down the road, but yes, I hope so, I'm just using the Win/WDL/SWELL stuff, has Justin provided support for that under Linux ?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #1765
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Also wanted to make sure folks in general have enough to play around with in a meaningful way,
You've certainly provided that

Quote:
whilst I go off to the OSC Crusades and pray I don't run into the Knights Who Say Nicht !!
They're no longer the knights who say "Ni" they're now the knights who say "Ekke ekke ekke ptang zoo boing" but they still can't bear to hear the word "it", so you should be fine These guys might be good for a shrubbery though....https://dirtdigger.ca/

Quote:
Not sure what you mean here ?
So that when you select a channel on the surface, the on screen mixer banks to display that channel if it can't already be seen.

In a similar manner, if you select a channel on the on screen mixer that can't be seen on the surface, the surface banks to show the channel.

......."look mate, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government".....
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #1766
Jack Winter

Quote:
A bit down the road, but yes, I hope so, I'm just using the Win/WDL/SWELL stuff, has Justin provided support for that under Linux ?
The reaper port uses Swell! Was a bit afraid that the GUI part was native code
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #1767
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
So that when you select a channel on the surface, the on screen mixer banks to display that channel if it can't already be seen.

In a similar manner, if you select a channel on the on screen mixer that can't be seen on the surface, the surface banks to show the channel.
Ah, a bit more difficult than it seems.

The Reaper API, I think, allows for this in the MCP.

I don't think there is a way for the TCP.

Would MCP only be enough ?

Should this be an option, I guess at a Page level ?

I can think of a few use cases where you might not want this.

How important is this for your workflow, as you can see it might take an inordinate chunk of time.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:52 AM   #1768
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
The reaper port uses Swell! Was a bit afraid that the GUI part was native code
Cool, seems we're good in that department !
Old 08-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #1769
MixMonkey

Quote:
Ah, a bit more difficult than it seems.

The Reaper API, I think, allows for this in the MCP.

I don't think there is a way for the TCP.

Would MCP only be enough ?

Should this be an option, I guess at a Page level ?

I can think of a few use cases where you might not want this.

How important is this for your workflow, as you can see it might take an inordinate chunk of time.
MCP only is fine- I wouldn't want the TCP to scroll (personal pref)

Yes to it being a page level option if it doesn't make it harder to implement. Otherwise just have it on all the time- the TCP won't follow and can be used to access functions on unseen tracks if needed.

The lack of it won't stop me getting on with stuff, but I'm pretty sure most people will expect CSI to behave in this way. I was kinda hoping that you could just lift the code from Wadd C4, where this already happens (ignorance is bliss)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #1770
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
MCP only is fine- I wouldn't want the TCP to scroll (personal pref)

Yes to it being a page level option if it doesn't make it harder to implement. Otherwise just have it on all the time- the TCP won't follow and can be used to access functions on unseen tracks if needed.

The lack of it won't stop me getting on with stuff, but I'm pretty sure most people will expect CSI to behave in this way. I was kinda hoping that you could just lift the code from Wadd C4, where this already happens (ignorance is bliss)
Just had a quick look at the old MCU/C4code, looks like it makes sure the selected track is visible on the surface, but doesn't make sure the selected track is visible in Reaper if selected via the surface.

Is that the old behaviour ?
Old 08-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #1771
MixMonkey

Quote:
Just had a quick look at the old MCU/C4code, looks like it makes sure the selected track is visible on the surface, but doesn't make sure the selected track is visible in Reaper if selected via the surface.

Is that the old behaviour ?
In WaddC4 it works both ways.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #1772
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
In WaddC4 it works both ways.
Guess I'll have to dig a bit deeper and figure out what it actually does, because I obviously have no recollection whatsoever
Old 08-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #1773
MixMonkey

It's a pity Reaper 40913/Track: Vertical scroll selected tracks into view only scrolls the TCP, otherwise i'd map that to a button and have done with it. That and the code you found and we'd be covered

Select the track on the surface push SomeButton Reaper 40913 and the MCP would scroll the track into view in Reaper. Except only the TCP scrolls
Old 08-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #1774
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
It's a pity Reaper 40913/Track: Vertical scroll selected tracks into view only scrolls the TCP, otherwise i'd map that to a button and have done with it. That and the code you found and we'd be covered

Select the track on the surface push SomeButton Reaper 40913 and the MCP would scroll the track into view in Reaper. Except only the TCP scrolls
New build is up: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33037/CSI%20pre%20alpha.zip

Nice find on the Vertical Scroll !

I tried a brand new way of doing the MCP scrolling, see if you like it.

Don't quite remember how the other one worked, this one scrolls "just enough" if you are off one edge or the other, so the selected track shows up at the left or right edge of the control surface(s) and the Reaper track control panel.

There is no option to turn it off, but it only works in MCP mode.

Thinking about this, I'm wondering if there really is a good use case for not doing this, that outweighs the damage you can cause be having selected tracks hidden from view.

I'm starting to think this should always happen.

Let me know if you (and anyone else please jump in too) agree and we'll also add the ReaperAction 40913 !
Old 08-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #1775
MixMonkey

Quote:
I tried a brand new way of doing the MCP scrolling, see if you like it.
Works for me!

The only thing I would wonder about is whether anyone is going to have a problem with the mixer channel they've just selected (on screen) suddenly jumping to the far LHS (of the screen).

When the channel is selected from the surface, this behaviour (the screen jumping), seems completely normal (to me), but a little odd when the channel is selected from the screen.

If possible, it might be better if the screen only 'jumped' when the channel was selected from the surface. The surface (obviously) can always follow the screen.

Regardless of the above concern, this makes using the system much, much easier- thanks Geoff!

I promise no more interference 'til your quest for the OSC be done
Old 08-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #1776
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Works for me!

The only thing I would wonder about is whether anyone is going to have a problem with the mixer channel they've just selected (on screen) suddenly jumping to the far LHS (of the screen).

When the channel is selected from the surface, this behaviour (the screen jumping), seems completely normal (to me), but a little odd when the channel is selected from the screen.

If possible, it might be better if the screen only 'jumped' when the channel was selected from the surface. The surface (obviously) can always follow the screen.

Regardless of the above concern, this makes using the system much, much easier- thanks Geoff!

I promise no more interference 'til your quest for the OSC be done

I agree, now Reaper only "jumps" when selected from surface -- much more intuitive.

Also the vertical scroll is incorporated.

Note that the MCP and TCP only scroll if the track is visible.

If you had a surface following MCP and you selected track 9, the MCP would scroll, but the TCP would scroll only if track 9 was visible there too.

Might get a bit mind bendy from time to time

Let me know what you think.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:16 PM   #1777
MixMonkey

Quote:
I agree, now Reaper only "jumps" when selected from surface -- much more intuitive.
This is much better Seems (to me) completely natural.

Just noticed a weird bug (I think it may have been in the previous build as well) When I scroll the screen mixer to a higher numbered track and select it, the surface scroll stops short by 8.

Say I open the session and track one is selected and I can see tracks 1-24 on the surface(s) If I scroll the mixer on screen to see Track 58 and select it, the surface will jump but the far right channel will be Track 50. If I then scroll the screen to see Track 96 and select it, the far right channel will be Track 88.

Now here's the weird thing, going the other way, say scrolling the screen to see Track 46 and selecting it, the surface will jump and put Track 46 far left- exactly what you want.

Banking and selecting tracks from the surface always scrolls the screen correctly- the selected track ends up far left (until the last of the tracks are on the surface, then it doesn't move)

One thing I just discovered is that you can stop the surface banking with the screen by de-selecting "Scroll view when tracks activated" in the menu in the bottom right hand corner of the master fader. With this de-selected you can scroll the TCP and MCP windows and select tracks without the surface moving- v.handy! Think of it a bit like the timeline scrolling, sometimes you want it to scroll, sometimes you don't.

Even with "Scroll view when tracks activated" de-selected, selecting a track on the surface will always scroll both the MCP and TCP. It would be good to be able to disable this temporarily- it's handy to be able to separate the editing window from the mixing surface so you don't 'lose your place' whilst editing tracks if you want to bank the surface and EQ something (which would require a track selection and therefore force the TCP to jump)

I'm less bothered about the MCP following the surface all the time, but options are always good
Old 08-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #1778
Finnish

Following this, I have X Touch One.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #1779
MixMonkey

Quote:
Just noticed a weird bug (I think it may have been in the previous build as well) When I scroll the screen mixer to a higher numbered track and select it, the surface scroll stops short by 8.
Not a bug, operator error I had bankable enabled for the C4. As soon as I unchecked the box the surface scrolling (via the screen) started to behave as expected.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #1780
Geoff Waddington

You can now turn Scroll Linking on and off with this action -- I mapped it to my Scrub button:

Scrub SetScrollLink

This toggles the Scroll Link state.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #1781
_Stevie_

Still haven't found the time to install Windows 10, but apparently it is working now, somehow. Per default, CSI selected the master track, so no wonder, I couldn't see any change in the other tracks.
However, CSI doesn't seem to follow track selection?

I have to use the "next/previous channel" buttons and enable track coloring to see, which track CSI has currently selected. Did I miss to set some checkbox?

Furthermore, I'm trying to get more functions of the CMC-CH working. The Pan encoder seems a very stubborn guy...

From the specification it says:

Pan
CMC -> PC B0 10 rr
whereas rr: 0x = CW, 4x = CCW, that means, from 00-39 = clockwise, 41-127 = counterclockwise
Is there some way to get this working with CSI?

And the MIDI Feedback LED:
PC -> CMC
B0 30 xy

x: Lighting Type (0 – 4)*
y: Lighting Pattern (1 – B)

Last edited by _Stevie_; 08-20-2018 at 11:54 AM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #1782
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Still haven't found the time to install Windows 10, but apparently it is working now, somehow. Per default, CSI selected the master track, so no wonder, I couldn't see any change in the other tracks.
However, CSI doesn't seem to follow track selection?

I have to use the "next/previous channel" buttons and enable track coloring to see, which track CSI has currently selected. Did I miss to set some checkbox?
A lot of surfaces have a select button, had a quick look at the CMC-CH, looks more like a Faderport, might need a bit of thought on this to get the best mapping, and will likely help Faderport, AlphaTrack, X Touch One, etc. users at the same time.

Thanks for testing !!

Quote:
Furthermore, I'm trying to get more functions of the CMC-CH working. The Pan encoder seems a very stubborn guy...

From the specification it says:

Pan
CMC -> PC B0 10 rr
whereas rr: 0x = CW, 4x = CCW, that means, from 00-39 = clockwise, 41-127 = counterclockwise
Is there some way to get this working with CSI?

And the MIDI Feedback LED:
PC -> CMC
B0 30 xy

x: Lighting Type (0 – 4)*
y: Lighting Pattern (1 – B)
Here's what I would try:

in the .rst:
Rotary EncoderFB b0 10 7f b0 10 00
RotaryFeedback EncoderFB b0 30 7f b0 30 00

and in the .axt:
Rotary TrackPan 0
RotaryFeedback TrackPan 0

See if that does the trick.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #1783
_Stevie_

Woop, you are a wizard, the Pan encoder works!
The feedback works also, but not quite as expected. When centered, it should be turned off. When left or right, it should gradually get brighter. Not sure, if that's possible?

EDIT: ah so the track selection is an issue, that other users have too. I thought it's only me.

Last edited by _Stevie_; 08-20-2018 at 12:31 PM.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #1784
MixMonkey

Quote:

You can now turn Scroll Linking on and off with this action
Working fine here That's great work Geoff, now I'm going to get me head down, build a ton of .fxt maps and see what's possible and what isn't

Should I report findings as I go or keep a laundry list for a later date?
Old 08-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #1785
_Stevie_

Quote:
Working fine here ... build a ton of .fxt maps and see what's possible and what isn't
I haven't dug into these, yet. How exactly do they work, will the focused plugin be controllable as with LBX' SmartKnobs?
Old 08-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #1786
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Working fine here That's great work Geoff, now I'm going to get me head down, build a ton of .fxt maps and see what's possible and what isn't

Should I report findings as I go or keep a laundry list for a later date?
Is it possible to do both ?

That way we can pick up any low hanging fruit along the way.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:42 PM   #1787
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
I haven't dug into these, yet. How exactly do they work, will the focused plugin be controllable as with LBX' SmartKnobs?
Something like that, but without the Graphic interface of LBX.

A GUI may be added later, but for now we're focusing on functionality.

You customize by editing:
Surface Control Definitions - .rst files
Map Surface Controls to Reaper behaviours -- .axt files
Map Surface Controls to FX - .fxt files
Old 08-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #1788
_Stevie_

Quote:
Something like that, but without the Graphic interface of LBX.

A GUI may be added later, but for now we're focusing on functionality.
No biggie, expected that for the current state of CSI!
First functionality, then GUI.

And it will work for the focused plugin?
Old 08-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #1789
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Yes, well... errr.. let's see, maybe not right now, but soon if it doesn't.

The first test cases for the plugins were on the Console 1 and the C4, those are working reasonably well, so right now is a great time to start thinking about how to approach the single channel flavour of controllers.

What would the dream Reaper integration of your your CMC-CH look like ?

Let's see how easy it is to build !
Old 08-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #1790
MixMonkey

Quote:
....and therein lies the rub.. At the moment it maps all the plugins on the selected track to the surface, so it's best to dedicate certain surface controls to certain FX functions.

For instance, in my system I'm using a Mackie C4 to control plugins (it's an 8x8 endless encoder box with displays) What I'm planning on doing is dedicating A1-A8 (top row) to compressor stuff, B,C and D 1-4 to EQ and B,C and D 5-8 to everything else.

At the present time, there is only one 'layer' available. In my case that means a maximum of 32 rotaries and 32 pushes to cover all the plugins on a channel and I have to be careful that I don't end up with two fx parameters assigned to the same control.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:34 PM   #1791
MixMonkey

Quote:
Is it possible to do both ?

That way we can pick up any low hanging fruit along the way.
Absolutely

I plan on tearing into the MCU.axt and MCU.rst to get clearer idea of what works and what doesn't when I start assigning Reaper functions to buttons. I'm pretty sure all the Press type buttons will work ok, but the Press FB might be a bit more hit or miss.

For instance, my first choice for the new SetScrollLink was the Solo button on the MCU (handily placed and my Scroll and Zoom buttons don't latch) but this resulted in all the mute and solo buttons on the MCU flickering dimly. When I re-assigned it to GlobalView, it worked fine, including the LED.

One quick question, can the / be used to comment out lines in any of the text files?
Old 08-20-2018, 02:49 PM   #1792
dragonslair

I finally got some time to look into this a bit more, I have been slowly reading the entire thread, I am up to about page 30.
I mapped everything on the Spirit 328 that outputs a midi message when in Controller mode, here is the list, these also output midi messages when in mixer mode, but the messages are different, and are used for console automation.

Rewind 90 5b 7f 90 5b 00
FastForward 90 5c 7f 90 5c 00
Stop 90 5f 7f 90 5f 00
Play 90 5e 7f 90 5e 00
Record 90 5d 7f 90 5d 00
Locate1 90 65 7f 90 65 00
Locate2 90 66 7f 90 66 00

Fader1 b1 07 7f b1 07 00 (fader)
Pan1 b1 0a 7f b1 0a 00 (encoder)
Mute1 b1 40 01 b1 40 00
Solo1 b1 44 01 b1 44 00

Fader2 b2 07 7f b2 07 00 (fader)
Pan2 b2 0a 7f b2 0a 00 (encoder)
Mute2 b2 40 01 b2 40 00
Solo2 b2 44 01 b2 44 00
to
Fader16 bf 07 7f bf 07 00 (fader)
Pan16 bf 0a 7f bf 0a 00 (encoder)
Mute16 bf 40 01 bf 40 00
Solo16 bf 44 01 bf 44 00

Fader0 b0 00 7f b0 00 00 (master fader)
STE1 b0 21 7f b0 21 00 (encoder)
STE2 b0 22 7f b0 22 00 (encoder)
FX1 b0 23 7f b0 23 00 (encoder)
FX2 b0 24 7f b0 24 00 (encoder)
STE1 mute b0 61 01 b0 61 00
STE1 solo bd 21 01 bd 21 00
STE2 mute b0 62 01 b0 62 00
STE2 solo bd 22 01 bd 22 00
Solo Clear bd 00 01 bd 00 00

I set up a .rst and .axt file, the transport controls work, but there is no feedback from Reaper, none of the faders, encoders or the mute/solo switches work.
-------------------------------------
Spirit328.rst

Rewind PressFB 90 5b 7f 90 5b 00
FastForward PressFB 90 5c 7f 90 5c 00
Stop PressFB 90 5f 7f 90 5f 00
Play PressFB 90 5e 7f 90 5e 00
Record PressFB 90 5d 7f 90 5d 00

Fader1 Fader14BitFB -60.0 12.0 b1 07 7f b1 07 00
Pan1 EncoderFB b1 0a 7f b1 0a 00
Mute1 PressFB b1 40 01 b1 40 00
Solo1 PressFB b1 44 01 b1 44 00

Fader2 Fader14BitFB -60.0 12.0 b2 07 7f b2 07 00
Pan2 EncoderFB b2 0a 7f b2 0a 00
Mute2 PressFB b2 40 01 b2 40 00
Solo2 PressFB b2 44 01 b2 44 00

Fader3 Fader14BitFB -60.0 12.0 b3 07 7f b3 07 00
Pan3 EncoderFB b3 0a 7f b3 0a 00
Mute3 PressFB b3 40 01 b3 40 00
Solo3 PressFB b3 44 01 b3 44 00
-------------------------------------------------
Spirit328.axt

Rewind Rewind
FastForward FastForward
Stop Stop
Play Play
Record Record

Fader1 TrackVolume
Pan1 TrackPan
Mute1 TrackMute
Solo1 TrackSolo

Fader2 TrackVolume
Pan2 TrackPan
Mute2 TrackMute
Solo2 TrackSolo

Fader3 TrackVolume
Pan3 TrackPan
Mute3 TrackMute
Solo3 TrackSolo
-------------------------------
Also, when I move a control or push a button in Reaper, the monitor does not show any output.
I am just guessing on the .axt file, I haven't a clue what I am supposed to do there.
Do we have to set any actions in Reaper, or is that done in the .dll?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by dragonslair; 08-21-2018 at 10:48 AM.
dragonslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #1793
_Stevie_

Quote:
Yes, well... errr.. let's see, maybe not right now, but soon if it doesn't.

The first test cases for the plugins were on the Console 1 and the C4, those are working reasonably well, so right now is a great time to start thinking about how to approach the single channel flavour of controllers.

What would the dream Reaper integration of your your CMC-CH look like ?

Let's see how easy it is to build !
Oh Geoff, thanks so much for asking this.
Let's see. I'll try to explain it as transparent as possible.

Fader: works
Pan: works now! :P
Mute: works
Solo: works
Read Automation: works
Write Automation: works
Next/Previous Channel: works

"e"-Button: actually opens the Cubase channel strip, not available in Reaper. But I thought, it would be appropriate to open the FX Chain, because all plugins are listed in there. This comes the channel strip very close.
And it would be great, if the button LED would be turned on, if either the FX Chain is opened OR at least one floating plugin window of the selected channel (excluding VST instruments, see below).

Open VST instrument: would be great if this button could open all VST instruments of the selected channel and turn on the LED, when the plugin window is opened.

Toggle Bypass EQ: toggle bypass for all EQ plugins, or maybe only ReaEQ for a start?
Toggle Bypass Insert FX: toggle bypass all insert plugins, excluding ReaEQ or EQs and VST instruments
Toggle Bypass Sends: I think that's already possible? Not sure, though.

Monitor: change the different monitor modes, not sure if that's possible already? I can use Reaper 40495 (cycle track monitor), but this will not change the LED status accordingly.

That's all I can think of for now!

Concerning controlling plugins: that's what I would use my CMC-QC (quick controller) for! It has 8 Encoder (of the same kind as the Pan encoder of the CMC-CH). So, I guess I'm set with that one!
Old 08-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #1794
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Absolutely

I plan on tearing into the MCU.axt and MCU.rst to get clearer idea of what works and what doesn't when I start assigning Reaper functions to buttons. I'm pretty sure all the Press type buttons will work ok, but the Press FB might be a bit more hit or miss.

For instance, my first choice for the new SetScrollLink was the Solo button on the MCU (handily placed and my Scroll and Zoom buttons don't latch) but this resulted in all the mute and solo buttons on the MCU flickering dimly. When I re-assigned it to GlobalView, it worked fine, including the LED.

One quick question, can the / be used to comment out lines in any of the text files?
Excellent, let me know what you find !

Yes / works as comment in any of the text files.

Don't forget comments will get clobbered in CSI.ini on the next write though, that's the only one.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #1795
MixMonkey

Quote:
Don't forget comments will get clobbered in CSI.ini on the next write though, that's the only one.
That's OK. that's probably the only one I don't need it for
Old 08-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #1796
_Stevie_

Quote:
....and therein lies the rub.. At the moment it maps all the plugins on the selected track to the surface, so it's best to dedicate certain surface controls to certain FX functions.

For instance, in my system I'm using a Mackie C4 to control plugins (it's an 8x8 endless encoder box with displays) What I'm planning on doing is dedicating A1-A8 (top row) to compressor stuff, B,C and D 1-4 to EQ and B,C and D 5-8 to everything else.

At the present time, there is only one 'layer' available. In my case that means a maximum of 32 rotaries and 32 pushes to cover all the plugins on a channel and I have to be careful that I don't end up with two fx parameters assigned to the same control.
Ah great approach man! I wish, there was still something like that C4 available. 32 rotary knobs with displays sounds absolutely amazing for such a task!
Old 08-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #1797
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonslair View Post
I finally got some time to look into this a bit more, I have been slowly reading the entire thread, I am up to about page 30.
I mapped everything on the Spirit 328 that outputs a midi message when in Controller mode, here is the list, these also output midi messages when in mixer mode, but the messages are different, and are used for console automation.

Rewind 90 5b 7f 90 5b 00
FastForward 90 5c 7f 90 5c 00
Stop 90 5f 7f 90 5f 00
Play 90 5e 7f 90 5e 00
Record 90 5d 7f 90 5d 00
Locate1 90 65 7f 90 65 00
Locate2 90 66 7f 90 66 00

Fader1 b1 07 7fv b1 07 00 (fader)
Pan1 b1 0a 7f b1 0a 00 (encoder)
Mute1 b1 40 01 b1 40 00
Solo1 b1 44 01 b1 44 00

Fader2 b2 07 7fv b2 07 00 (fader)
Pan2 b2 0a 7f b2 0a 00 (encoder)
Mute2 b2 40 01 b2 40 00
Solo2 b2 44 01 b2 44 00
to
Fader16 bf 07 7f bf 07 00 (fader)
Pan16 bf 0a 7f bf 0a 00 (encoder)
Mute16 bf 40 01 bf 40 00
Solo16 bf 44 01 bf 44 00

Fader0 b0 00 7f b0 00 00 (master fader)
STE1 b0 21 7f b0 21 00 (encoder)
STE2 b0 22 7f b0 22 00 (encoder)
FX1 b0 23 7f b0 23 00 (encoder)
FX2 b0 24 7f b0 24 00 (encoder)
STE1 mute b0 61 01 b0 61 00
STE1 solo bd 21 01 bd 21 00
STE2 mute b0 62 01 b0 62 00
STE2 solo bd 22 01 bd 22 00
Solo Clear bd 00 01 bd 00 00

I set up a .rst and .axt file, the transport controls work, but there is no feedback from Reaper, none of the faders, encoders or the mute/solo switches work.
-------------------------------------
Spirit328.rst

Rewind PressFB 90 5b 7f 90 5b 00
FastForward PressFB 90 5c 7f 90 5c 00
Stop PressFB 90 5f 7f 90 5f 00
Play PressFB 90 5e 7f 90 5e 00
Record PressFB 90 5d 7f 90 5d 00

Fader3 Fader14BitFB -60.0 12.0 b3 07 7f b3 07 00
Pan3 EncoderFB b3 0a 7f b3 0a 00
Mute3 PressFB b3 40 01 b3 40 00
Solo3 PressFB b3 44 01 b3 44 00
-------------------------------------------------
Spirit328.axt

Rewind Rewind
FastForward FastForward
Stop Stop
Play Play
Record Record

Fader1 TrackVolume
Pan1 TrackPan
Mute1 TrackMute
Solo1 TrackSolo

Fader2 TrackVolume
Pan2 TrackPan
Mute2 TrackMute
Solo2 TrackSolo

Fader3 TrackVolume
Pan3 TrackPan
Mute3 TrackMute
Solo3 TrackSolo
-------------------------------
Also, when I move a control or push a button in Reaper, the monitor does not show any output.
I am just guessing on the .axt file, I haven't a clue what I am supposed to do there.
Do we have to set any actions in Reaper, or is that done in the .dll?

Any thoughts?
Ok, first of all, you're working way too hard, channel notation is your friend, instead of:

etc., up to 16

do this once only :

Channel
Fader Fader14BitFB -60.0 12.0 b0 07 7f b0 07 00
Pan EncoderFB b0 0a 7f b0 0a 00
Mute PressFB b0 40 01 b0 40 00
Solo PressFB b0 44 01 b0 44 00
ChannelEnd

When you add the surface, just set num channels to 16, and all 16 will automatically get generated.

now just put this in once only in the .axt

Fader TrackVolume
Pan TrackPan
Mute TrackMute
Solo TrackSolo

Let me know what happens.
Old 08-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #1798
MixMonkey

Quote:
Ah great approach man! I wish, there was still something like that C4 available. 32 rotary knobs with displays sounds absolutely amazing for such a task!
ebay is your friend
Old 08-20-2018, 03:43 PM   #1799
_Stevie_

Unfortunately, the device is way too big for my desk
Old 08-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #1800
MixMonkey

Quote:
Excellent, let me know what you find !
Definitely something hinkey with some of the PressFB buttons on the MCU.

For instance, if you comment out: Click Reaper 40364 and add Replace Reaper 40364, the Replace button will operate the metronome (as the Click button did) but when the button is in the off state the LED will flicker continuously and a continuous stream of MIDI is being sent from Reaper (presumably causing the LED to flicker)