Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 12-06-2021, 03:24 AM   #1
The Kid
Human being with feelings

Default Taking a break from Linux (still in love with it)

I wanted to change my audio interface to run Linux, but I thought about it again.
I don't really want to sell my Tascam US-1800. I'ts worth for me a lot more than the money I can get for it. To buy the Behringer boxes for Linux was to spend money I don't really have now. And I want to stay out of debt.
The Tascam is very good for my studio. I've done great records with it, and it goes very well with my analog console. I have 8 preamps and 6 line in for the console, so I don't need to f$%k around with adat cables.
So, I'm going to take a break from Linux (wich was a great experience by the way) for a few years. In 2025 when Windows 10 ends, I see if I can keep my Tascam, and my computer lol if not I'll get something Linux ready.
I still run Linux on my second machine, with a Behringer 2 channels interface.
I'm not going to suffer much running Windows. I might as well enjoy the massive amount of software available.
When I go back to Linux, it's just going to be even more advanced than now, so that's going to be great.
Cheers

Last edited by The Kid; 12-06-2021 at 03:33 AM.
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
I wanted to change my audio interface to run Linux, but I thought about it again.
I don't really want to sell my Tascam US-1800. I'ts worth for me a lot more than the money I can get for it. To buy the Behringer boxes for Linux was to spend money I don't really have now. And I want to stay out of debt.
The Tascam is very good for my studio. I've done great records with it, and it goes very well with my analog console. I have 8 preamps and 6 line in for the console, so I don't need to f$%k around with adat cables.
So, I'm going to take a break from Linux (wich was a great experience by the way) for a few years. In 2025 when Windows 10 ends, I see if I can keep my Tascam, and my computer lol if not I'll get something Linux ready.
I still run Linux on my second machine, with a Behringer 2 channels interface.
I'm not going to suffer much running Windows. I might as well enjoy the massive amount of software available.
When I go back to Linux, it's just going to be even more advanced than now, so that's going to be great.
Cheers
Best of luck! I know how it feels. I’m feeling burned out from Linux as well. I’ve been pushing myself very hard to get more skilled with linux. And I am currently using arch linux, but there’s so much work involved with maintenance that I’m not sure I really want to use arch. I love the flexibility, but I am weary of all the work involved. I was an Ubuntu user only a few months ago, and I pushed myself to learn as much Linux as I could, because I wanted to be able to put things together exactly as I want. That’s why I moved to arch linux. I am not stopping using Linux, but I am not convinced that I want to put as much work into using arch linux as I had previously thought. I guess what I’m saying is that I understand how you feel. Linux is alluring. 😎👍🏼
audiojunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
Glennbo

I'll go back to Windows if they make it exactly like Manjaro Linux and pay me a million dollars in $40,000.00 installments over the next 25 years. Otherwise, I'll just keep running Manjaro.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #4
The Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiojunkie View Post
Best of luck! I know how it feels. I’m feeling burned out from Linux as well. I’ve been pushing myself very hard to get more skilled with linux. And I am currently using arch linux, but there’s so much work involved with maintenance that I’m not sure I really want to use arch. I love the flexibility, but I am weary of all the work involved. I was an Ubuntu user only a few months ago, and I pushed myself to learn as much Linux as I could, because I wanted to be able to put things together exactly as I want. That’s why I moved to arch linux. I am not stopping using Linux, but I am not convinced that I want to put as much work into using arch linux as I had previously thought. I guess what I’m saying is that I understand how you feel. Linux is alluring. 😎👍🏼
I feel great about Linux, it's just that I have a piece of Windows only hardware that I want to use.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:23 PM   #5
Held

Quote:
And I am currently using arch linux, but there’s so much work involved with maintenance that I’m not sure I really want to use arch. I love the flexibility, but I am weary of all the work involved.
What kind of maintenance do you do other than running pacman -Syu once or twice per week? I've been using Arch for about 6 months now and I've never had an update that broke anything (except for a few wine versions that were easily reverted).
Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #6
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
What kind of maintenance do you do other than running pacman -Syu once or twice per week? I've been using Arch for about 6 months now and I've never had an update that broke anything (except for a few wine versions that were easily reverted).
I have been busy dealing with pages and pages of errors in my journal log. This is after a fresh install. Everything seems to be running correctly, and it looks fine, but I can’t find any answers even in the arch forums about whether these are false positives that I don’t need to worry about, or something serious. My brain is a little burnt out from All of that, and I’m thinking about going back to endeavor OS.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
pterodox

Quote:
I have been busy dealing with pages and pages of errors in my journal log. This is after a fresh install. Everything seems to be running correctly, and it looks fine, but I can’t find any answers even in the arch forums about whether these are false positives that I don’t need to worry about, or something serious. My brain is a little burnt out from All of that, and I’m thinking about going back to endeavor OS.
I mean, if they don't actually have any clear detrimental impact on your system I suppose you could simply ignore them?? Systemd daemons throw random warnings all the time, but generally they aren't useful unless the particular service actually crashes or fails in other ways.
pterodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:51 AM   #8
lilith93

Did you try something like Ubuntustudio instead?
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #9
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
Did you try something like Ubuntustudio instead?
I’d take EndeavourOS or Manjaro over Ubuntu. 😜
Old 12-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
The Kid

I had a great experience with Linux Mint.
Everythimg I set out to do, I did.
If I had the money, I'd buy some Linux compatible hardware and switch back.
Please don't think this is a thread to complain about Linux, because it's not.
Old 12-07-2021, 01:33 PM   #11
audiojunkie

Quote:
I had a great experience with Linux Mint.
Everythimg I set out to do, I did.
If I had the money, I'd buy some Linux compatible hardware and switch back.
Please don't think this is a thread to complain about Linux, because it's not.
I didn't take it that way. :-) I was just wishing you well on your endeavors. I suspect that my comments about my journalctl errors and my personal frustrations threw things off track. :-) I often "bite off more than I can chew", complain, adjust, and then move on. Apologies! :-)
Old 12-07-2021, 01:36 PM   #12
The Kid

Quote:
I didn't take it that way. :-) I was just wishing you well on your endeavors. I suspect that my comments about my journalctl errors and my personal frustrations threw things off track. :-) I often "bite off more than I can chew", complain, adjust, and then move on. Apologies! :-)
No worries

Linux rocks!!!
Old 12-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #13
lilith93

Stability wise I prefer Debian
/ Ubuntu over Arch/Manjaro.
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:24 PM   #14
The Kid

Quote:
I couldn't even boot Manjaro lol

I really like Mint, great distro!
Old 12-07-2021, 04:33 PM   #15
audiojunkie

Quote:
I really like Debian, and I recognize that Ubuntu is the de facto standard that commercial developers compile for. I have no major complaints with those distros, other than that it takes so long to get new versions of software into the repositories. :-)

The Arch family is cutting edge, and the AUR is unbeaten. My problem is that I've been trying to push beyond my true skill level. My ambition to be "part of the Arch club" is what has me in trouble. I need to be more patient and develop more skills and then try again with Arch. In the meantime, I'm thinking of moving back to EndeavourOS or possibly Manjaro. At least I know that I can install Arch and get it up and running. I now need to learn more about how to troubleshoot journalctl and fix problems. :-)

Either way, in my opinion, I believe that as far as audio goes, the Debian and Arch families are the only two linux distro families that really matter, unless you are comfortable with compiling from source and dealing with the dependencies. :-)
Old 12-07-2021, 04:37 PM   #16
audiojunkie

Quote:
I couldn't even boot Manjaro lol

I really like Mint, great distro!
Manjaro is quite easy for me (thank goodness). EndeavourOS would be completely perfect if they didn't force all of their theming on me. For an OS that claims to be as minimal and as close to Arch as possible (without having to install everything by hand through the console), it sure is heavy-handed with that theming. If they would only make the theming an option that people could choose for themselves whether to use or not, it would be a perfect OS for accessing everything that Arch has to offer.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:00 PM   #17
The Kid

When I had the studio set up with Mint on my main machine and a 2 channel Behringer it was a blast.
But I was doing remote work, the studio wasn't working with clients, and it was perfect for a keyboard player like me.
The virtual instruments were cool, and it was fast.
I had all my OS keyboard shortcuts, and I had managed to beat Windows latency wise.
But the Tascam US-1800 is too good for the money (except for the crappy knobs)
The connections and sound are a good fit for my studio, and I already have a Windows 10 license, so, yes, it was a no brainer.
To put things in perspective, a dolar is 200 pesos in my country, whatever that means lol. That makes it hard to upgrade stuff.
But... if you think about it, from the Tascam to a Behringer UMC1820 with adat expansion, it wouldn't be an upgrade for my studio.
The connections of the Tascam go perfect with my Yamaha console from the 80's.
If it ain't broke... And I don't really want to deal with adat cables. It freaks me out!
The idea of migrating to Linux came from my romantic and geeky side.
It can be done, for sure. But pick the hardware first!
I encourage people to try it.
It's my contribution to the planet, as well, not bringing more stuff in.
Just use what you have, and make records!
Windows, Linux, I don't care anymore, it's like a car for me, it takes you from A to B.
Sure, Microsoft sucks, but I almost never SEE the OS lol, I see Reaper and Chrome.
I hope this helps to make things more clear.
I still have a Linux machine, with the little Behringer.
I call it Studio B lol

Last edited by The Kid; 12-07-2021 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #18
Mcgiver69

Quote:
When I had the studio set up with Mint on my main machine and a 2 channel Behringer it was a blast.
But I was doing remote work, the studio wasn't working with clients, and it was perfect for a keyboard player like me.
The virtual instruments were cool, and it was fast.
I had all my OS keyboard shortcuts, and I had managed to beat Windows latency wise.
But the Tascam US-1800 is too good for the money (except for the crappy knobs)
The connections and sound are a good fit for my studio, and I already have a Windows 10 license, so, yes, it was a no brainer.
To put things in perspective, a dolar is 200 pesos in my country, whatever that means lol. That makes it hard to upgrade stuff.
But... if you think about it, from the Tascam to a Behringer UMC1820 with adat expansion, it wouldn't be an upgrade for my studio.
The connections of the Tascam go perfect with my Yamaha console from the 80's.
If it ain't broke... And I don't really want to deal with adat cables. It freaks me out!
The idea of migrating to Linux came from my romantic and geeky side.
It can be done, for sure. But pick the hardware first!
I encourage people to try it.
It's my contribution to the planet, as well, not bringing more stuff in.
Just use what you have, and make records!
Windows, Linux, I don't care anymore, it's like a car for me, it takes you from A to B.
Sure, Microsoft sucks, but I almost never SEE the OS lol, I see Reaper and Chrome.
I hope this helps to make things more clear.
I still have a Linux machine, with the little Behringer.
I call it Studio B lol
Bloody hell!! a Dollar = 200 Pesos? where are you? Damn in mine is just 75 Pesos and I thought that was bad.

Oh well if you found a better solution that works for you hey just do what you have to.

Do not worry when you can come back we'll be right here waiting with open arms.
Mcgiver69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #19
The Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
Bloody hell!! a Dollar = 200 Pesos? where are you? Damn in mine is just 75 Pesos and I thought that was bad.

Oh well if you found a better solution that works for you hey just do what you have to.

I'm in Argentina. The dolar in 2015 was 9 pesos lol
The rest is history.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:13 PM   #20
audiojunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcgiver69 View Post
Agreed! :-)
Old 12-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #21
The Kid

I'll stick around, since I still have a Linux machine. I don't use it that much, it's kinda slow to boot up, but it's nice to have.
Sometimes I turn it on just to run cmatrix lol