Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 04-01-2019, 06:29 AM   #1
dotpc
Human being with feelings

Default Normalize all exports to -6db?

Hi there!

I am coming to Reaper from Tracktion Waveform. When you do a render/export in Waveform, it gives you the option to Normalize to -6db. I'm trying to find something similar in Reaper.

I know that Item > Item Properties contains a Normalize function, but I don't see a way of doing that for the whole export/render. Also, that Normalize function only contains a slider. I don't see a way to enter a number directly.

Help!
dotpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

It's something that people have asked for, but it hasn't been implemented yet. It basically needs two render passes. You need to render the full mix and then analyze and normalize and then render to the final file.

And that's pretty much what you have to do. Render the mix to a 32 or 64 bit floating point file, then bring that back into Reaper, normalize, and render to whatever your final format will be.

A lot of times, I just look at the peak displayed in the render window when it's finished, go back to the project, adjust the master fader, and render the whole thing again. That's not always accurate, though. If there is much of any in-synced modulation or randomness (like humanized drum VSTis).

Note that Reaper's item normalize doesn't really let you pick a target. It peak normalizes to 0dbFS by adjusting the Take Volume. You can then adjust that with the slider, but you're right, you can't just type a value. Luckily, there are at least seven other places that you can adjust the level before you render it back out. Maybe try the Take Volume Envelope?
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #3
dotpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Note that Reaper's item normalize doesn't really let you pick a target. It peak normalizes to 0dbFS by adjusting the Take Volume. You can then adjust that with the slider, but you're right, you can't just type a value. Luckily, there are at least seven other places that you can adjust the level before you render it back out. Maybe try the Take Volume Envelope?
Thank you! I will give that a shot, is there a way to interface Reaper with Audacity? Because I could use Audacity's Amplify or Normalize to take care of this as well ...
Old 04-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #4
DVDdoug

I'm not sure if you can "interface" with Audacity but if you render to 32-bit floating-point you can open it in Audacity and then export the result as a new file.

If you are "done" and this is the last mastering-step, you can use Audacity to make your "final format" that you want (i.e. MP3 or 16/44.1 for CD, etc.). Or if you're not done yet you can export as 32-bit floating-point and re-open it in REAPER (or whatever mastering application you're using).
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
ashcat_lt

I can't imagine why you would bother with Audacity. Reaper can do it just fine.

I meant to mention that I think SWS extensions has actions to normalize to a given target in case normalizing to 0 and then adjusting to your target is unpleasant to you.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:48 AM   #6
dotpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
I can't imagine why you would bother with Audacity. Reaper can do it just fine.

I meant to mention that I think SWS extensions has actions to normalize to a given target in case normalizing to 0 and then adjusting to your target is unpleasant to you.
I am just more used to Audacity, but I suppose there is value to getting more effective with Reaper.

I will check out SWS, thanks again for the help.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
dotpc

After some messing around, I am finding SWS' Loudness extension with a normalization to -23 LUFS works really well for my situation. Thanks to everyone for the pointers!
Old 12-08-2021, 12:39 AM   #8
dotpc

Default Script to normalize all takes to -6db!

Somewhat related, I now have a script that sets all takes to -6db:

https://github.com/ryanpcmcquen/Reap...duce%206db.lua

Thanks to @EricTBoneJackson for basically writing the entire thing!

Last edited by dotpc; 12-08-2021 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Update url for script.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:14 PM   #9
Fabian

You can actually do what the OP asks now (v6.4) on the render dialog. There is a Normalize to x dB in various measures (RMS, peak, LUFS etc).
Old 12-08-2021, 01:23 PM   #10
Pashkuli
Banned

I assume you are (were) talking about Normalising peaks to -6dBfs.
(normalising RMS or Loudness to such value would be bonkers)

So, in Reaper → File → Render...

choose the following:

Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:09 PM   #11
dotpc

Yeah, that's different than what I'm trying to do. I like to normalize all files separately to -6db (peak), and then set levels with the faders. Makes it easier for me to have a common baseline. That's what the script above accomplishes.
Old 12-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #12
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotpc View Post
Yeah, that's different than what I'm trying to do. I like to normalize all files separately to -6db (peak), and then set levels with the faders. Makes it easier for me to have a common baseline. That's what the script above accomplishes.
Yep, I pretty much do the same thing but use LUFS instead of Peak as it's a better measure of loudness - I just use -26LUFS to give me the headroom I want before adjusting faders, while not clipping in the loudness-processed 24-bit file itself. Definitely speeds up the mixing process pretty dramatically for me; I can usually get a decent mix done in about 20 minutes once track prep is done, depending on track count of course.

I sort tracks into subfolders, then I start with the bass line and then unmute each drum track one at a time, set my levels around the bassline, then mix everything else about that drum track one at a time. One final pass to raise or lower each instrument in the mix as needed after panning, and I'm done! Maybe some EQ and reverb as needed, but then it's on to mastering.

Last edited by Lynx_TWO; 12-11-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #13
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, that's different than what I'm trying to do. I like to normalize all files separately to -6db (peak), and then set levels with the faders.
You have to consider the source files though, especially if you have not recorded them yourself.
Some might be pretty dry\raw, with high peaks, small RMS, others might have lows up above rest... depends.

A drum kick hit with a peak at -8dBfs and RMS about -22dBfs will result in -20dBfs RMS post normalisation of peaks to -6. But a bass with peak at -12 and RMS at -18 will result in -12dBfs RMS post norm..

So the bass will be louder.

Then you will pump the kick and your faders will no longer represent the RMS levels. Faders are form mixing\automation not for setting pre-mix levels.

To setup a proper baseline in pre-mix (setting levels) you could use trim\gain plugins and should treat the raw peaks as much as possible (depending on genre, style).

You should touch the faders at the very last stage, when having plugins loaded on tracks, etc. with matching output volume.

Of course within a DAW there are so many possibilities to match levels. but since still most DAW's interfaces represent more or less old-school analogue consoles with tracks and faders, a good practice is a good practice.
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:25 PM   #14
torikamal

Quote:
I am just more used to Audacity, but I suppose there is value to getting more effective with Reaper.

I will check out SWS, thanks again for the help.
If it makes you feel better, I do most of my single track editing in Audacity as it's a little faster and is better suited (at least to my eyes) to single track editing.
torikamal is offline   Reply With Quote