Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 09-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Default Middle click and drag jumping around

I use middle click and drag a lot. Use it all the time, but, it is the source of much frustration, and the loss of much hair, because often enough, I'm clicking and dragging, and then it jumps to someplace. If I'm somewhat zoomed, even a small jump makes me lost. Sometimes it jumps far away.

I can't replicate this behaviour on demand. It just happens in a seemingly random way.

However, I think I may have found one of the possible causes.

I think sometimes, reaper receives and action to move the view, that might be because the play cursor moves off the screen or what have you, and I think this may sometimes be the cause of some of the jumping around.

I think it happens also when nothing is playing, but I'll have to pay more attention and catch it when it does to be 100% sure.

either way, I think whatever click and drag is doing, should trump any other view scroll command reaper receives. So, before reaper does anything with changing the view, it should check first to see if it is in a middle click scroll state.

I'm not sure on the details of how it is programmed, but this priority to mouse scroll should work for any view action included in any macro anyone could make.

That is of course if this is the source of middle click scroll jumping.

I tested out a bit, and I noticed that this is actually somewhat the behaviour, however, middle click scroll is sort of for short distances, you need to click, release, grab again and move over. If in that middle time, reaper receives some view change information, you'll warp somewhere, and that sucks because you were trying to get somewhere else at the time.

So, I think there needs to be some sort of "release delay" after using middle scroll, where mouse no longer behaves as though it is grabbing, but all other components of reaper think it is still in that drag state. Maybe like around a second or something.

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure the jumping around always happens on release, in between drags.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:53 PM   #2
Jorock

Reviving this because I am having the same issue and cant seem to find a solution. I have right click and drag set as marquee select. Any time I am trying to right click and drag to highlight an item while zoomed in, the screen keeps jumping around and it messes up my selection.

This also occurs when zoomed in a fair bit and I am trying to manually adjust a crossfade by a small margin. If my cursor moves towards the outer edge of my screen the view really jumps a fair bit and constantly messes up my effort to adjust a small fade etc.

Any solutions?!
Jorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:17 AM   #3
Sound asleep

That's a pretty old post I made, and I gotta say, I don't recall ever experiencing that recently. So, Idk if maybe they fixed it, or I'm doing something differently.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote