Old 01-23-2022, 07:58 PM   #1
spewdog
Human being with feelings

Default Change path from VST3 to VST?

Hey all,

I recently upgraded my PC and now using Reaper 6. However bringing my project across from my old PC and re installing all my VST's again, when I open my project, a lot are now missing.

An example is for Kontakt, the FX track path is looking for VSTi:Kontakt, however Kontakt only shows up in the new VST3i:Kontakt, so it says it's missing.

It says it keeps it configuration, so I tried replacing it with the new VST3i path at it just replaced the whole thing with a new instance of Kontakt.

This also happens with some others, like VST: (instrument), however mine now shows as VST3: (instrument).

Is there any way to fix this?

Cheers,
Stu
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reaper_VST_paths.jpg (28.0 KB, 124 views)
spewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:11 PM   #2
nait

Another way around fixing this rather than swapping from VST2 to VST3 (which I'm not sure how to do, and have it retain your settings/preset for instruments.. someone else might).....

You probably should make sure that your VST2 path where things like Kontakt have been installed is actually in your VST Plugin Path setting in Reaper:

Reaper: options->preferences->plug-ins->VST->Vst plugin path... add in the location of your VST2 plugins

As far as finding out where Kontakt VST2 is installed, open Native Access. In the top right corner, click on the icon of the man in the top right corner and click preferences. It will show "VST 64 location" and "VST 32 location". I typically don't care about the latter, but ensure that you have the VST 64 location added to the VST plugin path in Reaper. Once that is all done, just re-scan for plugins either from the preferences "Re-scan" button below vst plugin path, or just simply close/re-open Reaper and let it scan any new plugins.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:28 PM   #3
spewdog

OMG is was that simple, thanks for the quick response.

I think I just got blinded by the fact that it picked up the Kontakt library, it didn't even occur to me to add other paths. Good to know I have to add more for different versions.

I think what was happening was it was picking up Kontakt.vst3:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3

But not the Kontakt.dll, which was in here:
C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit

Adding the latter made it work, now to go through and find the others.

Thanks heaps for the help nait
spewdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:00 PM   #4
nait

Yah no worries at all.

And yes, it was finding the VST3 because VST3 are always installed in the same location (C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 for 64-bit VST3) and that path is automatically entered in for you in Reaper's plugin path.

VST2s can really be installed anywhere you like them. Often times developers will read your PC's registry to figure out where to install them.. and other times they'll just default to a standard location like C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins. I use "standard" loosely here, as there really is no standard for VST2.. just what I'd say are more common locations, depending on the plugin developer.

Anyways, best of luck finding all your VST2s!
Some common locations (taken from Steinberg website):

C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2

MOST installers will prompt where to install when you install though, so be sure to pay attention to that in the future!
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote