Old 12-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #1
EpicSounds
Human being with feelings

Default Reastream on Windows 11 ?

I had someone on a video comment that ReaStream is no longer working with OBS after they upgraded to Windows 11. I don't have a Win 11 system to verify.

Is it true?
Old 01-05-2022, 10:14 AM   #2
Justin
Administrator

Haven’t tested but since reastream uses the network it would probably make sense to see if the user can disable windows firewall etc
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 05:29 PM   #3
amonline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Haven’t tested but since reastream uses the network it would probably make sense to see if the user can disable windows firewall etc
I'm the one that commented on the video. I also posted a couple of topics here in another section or two. (got not replies)

With everything security-related disabled or closed (firewall(s)/defender/trend micro/everything), Reastream only receives audio for about a second from the DAW before stopping. Just to get it to start receiving, I have to put the cursor in the default name and hit enter. This seems to refresh it for a second or so before the audio cuts out again.

Just to be clear, I've used this for years, and in the same config. So, it only started with the Win11 upgrade. (not a fresh install)

I've even removed OBS from the firewall list, allowed OBS to reapply to the firewall, allowed it, and the results are the same. I don't think this is OBS, simply because there is audio making it through when I trigger it as mentioned above. I agree it does seem like the firewall is kicking in.

So, this is something deeper. Devs will need to dig into it and see what it is.
amonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:21 PM   #4
EpicSounds

"Reastream only receives audio for about a second from the DAW before stopping."

I think that's the key to solving this. In OBS try putting ReaStream on a different input source, not 'default' or an audio output capture.

You'll see this in Vincent's video around 5:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZ3o1aTyPY
Old 01-06-2022, 11:19 AM   #5
amonline

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
"Reastream only receives audio for about a second from the DAW before stopping."

I think that's the key to solving this. In OBS try putting ReaStream on a different input source, not 'default' or an audio output capture.

You'll see this in Vincent's video around 5:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZ3o1aTyPY
Sorry, I should have mentioned I’ve tried all the different alternatives such as IP, etc.

Right now, as a work around, I’m simply sending a loop out my 3&4 line out to my 3&4 input (Roland Studio Capture) so I can capture that looped separate input. It works, but I’d rather go back to the virtual connection. (I normally use all my I/O in the studio, and don’t want to be swapping out cables constantly) Thus, the reason I’ve been pointing out that Reastream is broken in Win11 so the developers will consider updating it. I’m just not getting any answers/response from the Reaper FB page or website contact email.

I believe one of the above was what you were suggesting?
Old 01-06-2022, 11:47 AM   #6
EpicSounds

in obs it has to be an 'audio input capture' source in a scene or globally as an Aux input and set to some kind of audio device.

You could try testing ReaStream without OBS and see if it's reaper or the plugin that's the problem.

try sending to a second instance of the plugin, try sending to a second instance of reaper
Old 01-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #7
amonline

Quote:
in obs it has to be an 'audio input capture' source in a scene or globally as an Aux input and set to some kind of audio device.

You could try testing ReaStream without OBS and see if it's reaper or the plugin that's the problem.

try sending to a second instance of the plugin, try sending to a second instance of reaper
It has been set like that for years and worked properly. The Win11 update/upgrade was the only change I've made that started the issue.

I'll give this another shot with a fresh setup this evening and report back, but I expect the same results I've gotten for the past couple of weeks. (I already tried starting from scratch with input captures several times... but maybe I missed something)
Old 01-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #8
EpicSounds

maybe you'll have better luck with ReaRoute instead? Might be easier
Old 01-06-2022, 03:13 PM   #9
amonline

Quote:
maybe you'll have better luck with ReaRoute instead? Might be easier
I don't have Reaper installed at the moment. I was using Reastream from Studio One.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:40 PM   #10
amonline

Well, I have zero explanation, but completely wiping the source audio input and starting from scratch (with the EXACT same setup as before the Win11 upgrade) fixed the issue. I'm still scratching my head.

It must have been the resetting of the firewall over the past few days, followed by the recreating of the input source. I remember recreating the input source, but I think I hadn't reset the firewall yet.

So, there's some chain of events that solved the issue. Unfortunately, I cannot provide complete steps for the next user experiencing the same issue.

I can only say remove OBS from the firewall apps (after the Win11 upgrade), restart OBS, remove any existing audio source input with Reastream, and recreate it from complete scratch.

Thank you, guys, for chiming in and giving me ideas. Somewhere in there, something helped.