Old 04-19-2007, 04:27 AM   #1
Amberience
Human being with feelings

Default Who is using Vista?

I wouldn't mind trying Vista out, but Alesis do not yet have vista drivers for their IO26 card. In the future though, who knows.
Amberience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
Bassman1

Still on XP home SP2 here, as there are no drivers for my soundcard yet. I have Vista home premium that came with my new PC, but not installed it.

I too would like to know who's on Vista and how REAPER and other audio apps run. I've heard conflicting reports.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
Amberience

I've also heard conflicting reports.

Tomorrow my Dell laptop will arrive, and it will have Vista with it. But I plan to just format straight away and put XP on the machine. Because drivers don't exist for my soundcard either.

But in the future it would be nice to try Vista out. It has some nice features that are slick and stylish. But slick and stylish is not enough to make me switch, I'd like to know if Reaper and other software (Cubase, Ableton Live) are stable enough to use.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
markheath

I'm using Vista, and all is well so far (apart from some problems with the drivers for the E-MU XMIDI 1x1 USB MIDI interface I bought specifically because it had Vista drivers - grrrr). My soundcard is a Line6 TonePort UX2.

I did once see the message "this program may not have installed correctly" after installing a version of REAPER, but I just clicked to say that it was OK, and I haven't noticed anything missing.

SONAR5 and Project5 are also working fine. EZDrummer is working too.

Mark
markheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #5
Jae.Thomas

I have heard WILDLY conflicting reports about vista. Some people talk about massive performance gains and some talk about massive performance loss...

Thing is, i dont have a problem with XP. Not ONE issue. My only issue with my setup is my antiquated hardware... otherwise, XP as an OS works flawlessly for me, so why go into uncharted and possibly unstable territory, for what? Some neat looking graphics, a couple of interesting tweaked features?

nah, sorry.

It was a bit different back in the 98SE vs. XP days.. 98 actually sucked.

maybe someday... there are drivers for the emu1212m coming, however none for my other audio interface, the firepod, and none planned
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
Bevosss

Actually, I have one issue with XP...it starts up to f**ken slow! Not an issue in a studio so much, but live.....

I've thought about using Reaper in a live band context, a crash is unlikely but still, it'd be nice to have OSX's restart time of 23 seconds. Maybe in a few months though with the Reaper Mac build, but to be honest I'm more comfortable with the PC.

How fast can Vista start up? (without extra programs loading, just the bare bones I mean)
Bevosss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
bob32069

I am using Vista because my Dell came with it. I have turned off all the bells and whistles to maximize performance. I have a Core2 Duo with 3 GB RAM and a 500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive. Interface is MOTU 8pre firewire, which comes with Vista drivers. MIDI interface is just an old Casio keyboard which works just fine. I have had absolutely no issues or problems with Vista and Reaper. Reaper is truly an amazing piece of software and the developers should win a Nobel peace prize for making it available for only 40$!!

The fact is that in five years, it is unlikely that XP will still be number 1. Eventually all the software and hardware drivers will catch up to Vista. Maybe Vista won't be around in 5 years either (doubt that), but if not, there will be something newer, not XP.
bob32069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:37 PM   #8
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob32069 View Post
I am using Vista because my Dell came with it. I have turned off all the bells and whistles to maximize performance. I have a Core2 Duo with 3 GB RAM and a 500 GB 7200 RPM hard drive. Interface is MOTU 8pre firewire, which comes with Vista drivers. MIDI interface is just an old Casio keyboard which works just fine. I have had absolutely no issues or problems with Vista and Reaper. Reaper is truly an amazing piece of software and the developers should win a Nobel peace prize for making it available for only 40$!!

The fact is that in five years, it is unlikely that XP will still be number 1. Eventually all the software and hardware drivers will catch up to Vista. Maybe Vista won't be around in 5 years either (doubt that), but if not, there will be something newer, not XP.
So, what's the start up time on your machine?

And do you have a list of processes to turn off? Thanks
Old 04-19-2007, 10:29 PM   #9
Rann

Bevosss,
I bought an HP last month (model a1700n) and I was expecting it to start faster because of the dual processors, extra ram, etc. but to my amazement it was slower starting up than my hp a320 that runs XP. I was disappointed.

r

ok, I timed them both. XP took roughly 1 min 10 seconds to start from a cold boot.
vista took 1 min 23 seconds to start from a cold boot.

Last edited by Rann; 04-19-2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Timing my pc's
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:37 AM   #10
Amberience

Your machine takes a minute to boot up? Wow. I'd be surprised if mine took 30 seconds.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:11 AM   #11
manning1

no vista for me.
gonna wait awhile.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:27 PM   #12
nightwreck

I installed Vista Ultimate yesterday and it's working great. I had to update all my drivers (Nvidia and Linksys) but that was a no brainer. As from the slick new look, performance isn't all that bad. My system boots up about as fast as my XP SP2. As a matter of fact I made my machine dual boot. The Aero theme is truly slick, way slicker then I originally imagine.

My machine's specs

o AMD Athlon64 3400+ (2.2 Ghz)
o Arctic Alpine64 heatsink & fan
o 2 GB Patriot PC3200 (400 Mhz)
o PNY Verto 256 Nvidia GeForce 6600 PCI-E
o 2 x 250 GB WD Sata2 (3.0g/s, 7200 RPM, 16 MB cache)
o 1 x 320 Seagate Sata2 (3.0g/s, 7200 RPM, 16 MB cache)
o NEC 8X DVD+/-RW drive
o 420 Watt PSU
nightwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #13
bob32069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post

i have not timed the startup but it seems pretty quick, possibly under a minute. i will time it next time i boot up. the main items that seem to have the greatest impact when i turn them off is my wireless connection (i have a wireless network with the router on a different computer), and the antivirus/firewall stuff. So when I am going to use the computer for music production, I disable the wireless network in the device manager, and then i go to "manage" after right-clicking the my computer icon, go to services, and disable anything related to McAfee. I also have Aero turned off completely. Also, in the control panel, i have performance switched to "maximize performance". I have no desktop themes, screensaver, etc. There is a website I found that has some pretty good suggestions for maximizing Vista performance http://vistasupport.mvps.org/index.htm

Of note, with regard to turning off the antivirus stuff, when I restart teh computer or re-enable the wireless network connection, McAfee gives me a pop window telling me i'm unprotected and then i press a button and all the processes are started again, so i never "forget" to restart the antivirus when i try to go back on the internet.

hope this answer helps

thanks
Old 04-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #14
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevosss View Post
XP pro, 18 seconds to desktop plus another 3 to get Reaper going on a fresh install; but that was before I got internet and networking hooked up, just with that it more than doubled boot time to 38 seconds

Don't think Vista will boot much faster than that thought.

Quote:
Did that once, gained nothing but a bunch of hassle; I ain't bothering with that anymore.

Last edited by bullshark; 04-22-2007 at 03:53 PM.
bullshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:01 AM   #15
Bevosss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
XP pro, 18 seconds to desktop plus another 3 to get Reaper going on a fresh install;
Serious! 18 seconds, what's your secret?

OSX boots up in 23 seconds on mine, and XP fully tweaked still takes about a minute. I don't reboot much, but that could be important in a live format.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:40 AM   #16
bullshark

There's a settings called fast boot or somesuch, don't remember the exact name as I set that once when I first built the system 5-6 years ago, in the mobo bios where it forgo all test, splash screen and stuff and just goes directly into boot sequence. Apart from that I did nothing special except make sure I don't load unnecessary program on boot.

But XP does gets slower as months go by, including boot, for some reasons so I ghost back a fresh install every couple of months. I like the snappy response of a fresh install.

I feel your pain thought, been to a friend house and his system, while more recent than mine, takes well over a minute to boot up and it's a royal pain in the butt. His system is full of junk thought, with the original install still on and no maintenance whatsoever.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #17
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberience View Post
Your machine takes a minute to boot up? Wow. I'd be surprised if mine took 30 seconds.
Back in the day when I was a "computer repairman" I went to fix a computer running a Novell network in a law office.

"Well, there's something wrong with it, it takes a long time to start" they said.

This thing took almost 15 minutes to boot up.

*15 minutes*.

Simple solution: their drive was something like 98.9% fragmented. An old 386 they'd had for years and years and they'd *never* defragged it...

VISTA:

Why?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 AM   #18
manning1

re fast booting.
its my understanding that the better and more hi performance drive one has win installed on ..the faster the boot.
due to the way the core win code is installed.
this is what ive been told anyway.
can others confirm this ?? eg on 10k raptor drive the boot process is sped up as it is with a 16mb cache drive over say a 2mb cache hard drive.
manning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #19
bob32069

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
VISTA:

Why?

I guess 10 years ago you would have asked "Windows 98: Why?".

Answer's pretty obvious...
Old 04-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #20
bullshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob32069 View Post
I guess 10 years ago you would have asked "Windows 98: Why?".

Answer's pretty obvious...
Disagree, nothing obvious about it, Win 98 was a pile of dung while XP is solid. I couldn't move to 2000 fast enough, then moved to XP again as soon as my hardware had drivers for it. Vista? I see no need for it and will keep on XP as long as I can, what I would have liked improved in XP didn't get improved (mostly small annoyances), while they bloated Vista with junk.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:07 AM   #21
Diogenes

Slightly OT...

You know what PISSES ME OFF about this Vista thing? The way MS and the PC vendors are SHOVING it down our throats! GRRRR!!! In the last year or so, all our software is finally fully supported and operating well under XP. We have some industry specific, kinda 'special' software that most people here use on both desktops and laptops. We get new PC's... guess what? They are preloaded with Vista. The desktops are not a big deal. IT dude has to dig around a bit for some drivers but he gets the desktops working fairly quickly. It's the stinking laptops that drive us nuts. A few weeks ago, a colleague got a new laptop with docking station, external KB, mouse and LCD. Fine. IT dude slaps XP Pro on it and after a few hours of twiddling, gets almost everything working well EXCEPT the external KB. What? It's just a blinkin' KB? It seems Dell has a special driver for the KB or something?

IT dude: Hey, we have a new Dell Model XXXX laptop here. We have to install XP Pro on it.

Dell Geek: Errr... no. That machine ships with Vista.

IT dude: I am aware of that. We can't use Vista.

Dell Geek: Why not? It's one of Microsoft's most innovative and cutting edge OS's ever!

IT dude: *roll-eyes* Right. Anyway, it's really no concern of yours WHY I have to install XP on it. I just need XP to work with the external KB supplied with the unit. The built-in KB is fine and everything else is fine under XP. The external, USB KB YOU supplied does not work.

Dell Geek: Did it work with Vista?

IT dude: Yes.

Dell Geek: Can you re-install Vista?

IT dude: NO! Let me speak to your supervisor.

Dell Geek: Errr... hold the line please.

FIVE MINUTES LATER...

Same scenario with Supervisor 1...

TEN MINUTES LATER...

Same scenario with Supervisor 1's supervisor...

Already long story shortened somewhat... we still don't have an operating external KB. A generic USB KB will work but the supplied Dell will not. This particular user just "has to have" the goofy little shortcut keys and volume control the Dell KB has on it...

Vista on my DAW? No way! Not until I HAVE to buy a new machine and Vista has been around for a while. I haven't run out of juice on my XP box yet.

D

PS Sorry for the rant.
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote