Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 09-22-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
Soli Deo Gloria
Human being with feelings

Default v5.983+dev0922 - September 22 2019

v5.983+dev0922 - September 22 2019
  • + Auto-crossfades: fix behavior when duplicating items [t=216416]
  • + Crossfades: fix fades changing when moving other auto-crossfaded items across them [t=225213]
  • + MIDI: fix marker text events displayed as cues with non-1.0 playrate [t=202705]
  • + Track: add action to bypass track playback offset
  • + Track: add user preference for max MIDI playback speed to catch up to negative track playback offset (ensures all notes are played, though they will be sped up of course)
  • # MIDI: fix .mid file import (broken in dev0920)
  • # Track manager: display playback offset
  • # Track: Add action to apply playback offset to receive source tracks
  • # macOS: use non-metal asynchronous layered drawing for various plug-in windows (rather than metal)
This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.

Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 09-23-2019 at 03:57 AM.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks for the continuous improvements, devs!

Two things I observe in this dev release :

- The range of negative/positive offset seems to be now -500/+500 ms when it was previously set to -1000/+1000.

- The text of the offset feature is now blackened, so it gets lost with a dark theme, as seen below :

A question : could someone explain to me the difference between this great new offset feature and something like the JS "Time Adjustment" plugin? I remember strange things happening with that plugin in the context of big MIDI projects, but now I can´t see any difference comparing the plugin with the offset feature using two identical tracks loaded with heavy-PDC plugins. Any insight regarding this topic will be appreciated...

Last edited by Soli Deo Gloria; 09-22-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
mschnell

AFAIK, "Time adjustment" only handles audio. (There also is the stock JS plugin "Midi Delay" that handles positive Midi delay.)

There also is the ReaPack -> "+/- Delay" JS plugin that handles positive and negative delay as well for Midi as for audio.

But only the built-in track delay can handle the "MIDI playback catch up" as described above.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:14 PM   #4
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Devs, I noticed this sort of thing happens so very often when you add new UI widgets... they often don't seem to follow theme colors. How come?

(And with that said, it would be really, really, REALLY great if all the various dialogs that Reaper has all listen to theme colors - some do, a lot of them don't. The list has existed for years now, going back to v4.11... v6 sounds like a really great opportunity to have this sorted out at last after all these years, and make Reaper at least somewhat consistent visually.)

Last edited by EvilDragon; 09-22-2019 at 11:19 PM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:18 PM   #5
EvilDragon

Quote:
A question : could someone explain to me the difference between this great new offset feature and something like the JS "Time Adjustment" plugin?
The difference is that you don't have to load a plugin to have track delay. Better UX
Old 09-22-2019, 11:24 PM   #6
PitchSlap

Quote:
  • + Auto-crossfades: fix behavior when duplicating items [t=216416]
  • + Crossfades: fix fades changing when moving other auto-crossfaded items across them [t=225213]
It would be amazing if there was an option to auto-crossfade the loop point of items when they are extended (looped).

Much of the time I'm importing selections from the media explorer, and as it's very hard to have the start/end points at zero-crossings it means clicks every time the item loops.

I've been manually destructively editing in an external editor, but this would save a ton of time.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:28 PM   #7
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
It would be amazing if there was an option to auto-crossfade the loop point of items when they are extended (looped).

Much of the time I'm importing selections from the media explorer, and as it's very hard to have the start/end points at zero-crossings it means clicks every time the item loops.

I've been manually destructively editing in an external editor, but this would save a ton of time.
That's a very good suggestion, I'd say.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:01 AM   #8
_Stevie_

Thanks so much for this update devs!

Please consider adding an API for the track delay, so that HeDa can incorporate that into Track Inspector.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:56 AM   #9
cool

Quote:

+ Crossfades: fix fades changing when moving other auto-crossfaded items across them [t=225213]
Thank you!
Maybe now is the time to fix the reset of the envelope shape of the fades when copying via Ctrl+Drag?
Bugrep: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=223505
Thats will be cool!
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 02:21 AM   #10
Thonex

Quote:
  • + Track: add action to bypass track playback offset
  • + Track: add user preference for max MIDI playback speed to catch up to negative track playback offset (ensures all notes are played, though they will be sped up of course)
  • # Track manager: display playback offset
  • # Track: Add action to apply playback offset to receive source tracks
  • # macOS: use non-metal asynchronous layered drawing for various plug-in windows (rather than metal)
THANK YOU DEVS!!

I'm amazed by how you can turn out these fantastic updates and fixes. And am excited to test out your novel approach to chasing negative delay. Preliminary tests have put a big smile on my face !! The negative delay notes are even caught upon cycle loop!

Thanks for all the hard work and dedication.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:24 AM   #11
EvilDragon

Small text glitch here?
Old 09-23-2019, 02:43 AM   #12
X-Raym

Quote:
  • + MIDI: fix marker text events displayed as cues with non-1.0 playrate [t=202705]
Perfect thx !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:11 AM   #13
Soli Deo Gloria

Thanks Mschnell and ED for the replies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
...But only the built-in track delay can handle the "MIDI playback catch up" as described above.-Michael

On a brief test with Addictive Drums 2 and LP10 - which is quite heavy in the PDC department -, the time adjustment plugin also catches up with the offset playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
The difference is that you don't have to load a plugin to have track delay. Better UX

Understood . Probably, the weird things I remember about the plugin´s performance were related to some other internal aspects of REAPER that have been improved. I don´t know; from now on, it´s good to have multiple choices to achieve the same thing and have this feature also available natively.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:45 AM   #14
mccrabney

Quote:
+ Auto-crossfades: fix behavior when duplicating items [t=216416]
+ Crossfades: fix fades changing when moving other auto-crossfaded items across them [t=225213]
thanks, guys! behaving great here even on FIPM items, which exhibited the bug behavior described but were not part of the original report.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:43 AM   #15
Klangfarben

Quote:
And also it is independent of PDC thus it is not adding a sample buffers worth of delay by adding a plugin to the track.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #16
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
And also it is independent of PDC thus it is not adding a sample buffers worth of delay by adding a plugin to the track.
Are you sure ? I in fact doubt that it's technically possible in Reaper to do do negative delay without rounding up the delay on the other tracks to full buffers.

(The known problem with PDC uprounding is that it currently is done for any plugin in a row in an FX chain instead for the sum of all of them.)

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:46 AM   #17
Thonex

Quote:
Are you sure ? I in fact doubt that it's technically possible in Reaper to do do negative delay without rounding up the delay on the other tracks to full buffers.

(The known problem with PDC uprounding is that it currently is done for any plugin in a row in an FX chain instead for the sum of all of them.)

-Michael
I'm pretty sure. Otherwise... if you added -500ms delay to a MIDI track... Live playback of MIDI would be completely latent. No? Right now, if I add -500ms to a MIDI track and play LIVE... there is no added PDC buffer to Kontakt.

And you can verify this in the Track Manager under the PDC column.

Plus... don't underestimate the awesomeness of the Reaper team

Last edited by Thonex; 09-23-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #18
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klangfarben View Post
That's correct, with the caveat that the negative delay only applies to recorded media playback, not live performance. In other words it's not time travel 😃
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #19
heda

don't forget API functions to get/set track playback offset please, please please... we will have a party

And one to Get the maximum/minimum(negative) playback offset in project would be awesome too. This way a script could know how much to rewind the play cursor when starting to play.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:31 AM   #20
Thonex

@schwa and @Justin,

Fantastic on all counts. I'm almost reticent to ask after all you included in this last push, but I think it will come up. Right now the action Track: Bypass track playback offset behaves like a toggle. This can be tricky when trying to sync states on multiple tracks.

Would it be possible to add an ON state and an OFF state? Like this perhaps:

Track: Track playback offset -- Bypassed
Track: Track playback offset -- ON

Or... even better.... add the Get/Set track delay On/Off to the API list here?:

reaper.GetMediaTrackInfo_Value( tr, parmname )

Thoughts?

[edit -- I guess Heda beat me to it above]

Last edited by Thonex; 09-23-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Thonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:04 AM   #21
EvilDragon

Yes, having simple on and off actions for it along with toggle would be nice indeed.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #22
srdmusic

Quote:
Yes, having simple on and off actions for it along with toggle would be nice indeed.
+1 love this idea
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:07 AM   #23
Arthur McArthur

Thank you devs for Track Playback Offset! Great feature.
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #24
machinesworking

Quote:
(And with that said, it would be really, really, REALLY great if all the various dialogs that Reaper has all listen to theme colors - some do, a lot of them don't. The list has existed for years now, going back to v4.11... v6 sounds like a really great opportunity to have this sorted out at last after all these years, and make Reaper at least somewhat consistent visually.)
This is my #1 GUI complaint. Reaper is a fantastic skinable DAW with certain GUI elements that look like Windows 95 spreadsheets, and no ability to change that. So hundreds of skins with the same 20+ year old looking visual elements still there.
machinesworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #25
srdmusic

Love the new track offset feature. Really brilliant implementation.

This will work perfectly for offsetting my midi orchestra track so they line up with the grid. I love the new option to apply the offset to the receive source tracks. I was thinking I'd be able to use this up offset my Print buss tracks which have plugins that would normally require PDC delay. The track offset function does work but I can see my self forgetting apply the offset action to my receive source tracks and therefore printing my stems out of sync.

Would it be possible to implement an option in the I/O window for the user to type in PDC delay, thereby doing away with the need for the extra JS plugin on each of my busses. The advantage for the user is that it would allow us to delay by exactly the number of samples needed instead of Reaper offsetting by full buffers for each plugin.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #26
srdmusic

# MIDI: fix .mid file import (broken in dev0920)

Thank you for this fast fix. Works properly now.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #27
Gianfini

Hi, will you create a Walter element that can be added in track tcp panel to distinguish the tracks with offset?

Something like tcp_offset_on tcp_offset_off

I think it could prove very useful!!

G
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:40 PM   #28
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
Hi, will you create a Walter element that can be added in track tcp panel to distinguish the tracks with offset?

Something like tcp_offset_on tcp_offset_off

I think it could prove very useful!!

G
Yes +1. Also, thanks so much for adding to the track manager.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:43 PM   #29
Vadium

If we have 2 tracks: 1)Vepro VSTi 2)track with midi notes with send to track 1 - what track is a right choice for using a track playback offset feature?
Vadium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:10 PM   #30
EvilDragon

MIDI track(s).
Old 09-24-2019, 12:31 AM   #31
amagalma

Quote:
This! If this could be solved it would really be great!!...
Sorry for being out of topic, but I could not resist..
Old 09-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #32
Arthur McArthur

It would be really helpful to have the Playback time offset available in the TCP/MCP track controls, which is where my Time adjustment jsfx's offset used to live.
Arthur McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #33
heda

time offse
the knob ate the t
win7 x64

since now it can be also samples... maybe time offset is not the best name.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:27 AM   #34
EvilDragon

It should just be Track delay, really.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #35
Klangfarben

Quote:
It should just be Track delay, really.
Agreed.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #36
heda

I think it will be just playback offset.

How does the action Track: Bypass track playback offset (42232) work? I'm running it on a selected track.. nothing happens. the checkbox is still active. I can bypass correctly from the Track Manager. But this action doesn't seem to work.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:44 AM   #37
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
I think it will be just playback offset.

How does the action Track: Bypass track playback offset (42232) work? I'm running it on a selected track.. nothing happens. the checkbox is still active. I can bypass correctly from the Track Manager. But this action doesn't seem to work.
Seems to work as expected here, although if you have the advanced setting enabled so the track I/O window remains open, the checkbox won't refresh until you close and reopen the window.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #38
EvilDragon

Is it a problem to make it refresh in that case?
Old 09-24-2019, 12:02 PM   #39
heda

ah that was it... I had the advanced setting enabled so the track I/O window to remain open.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #40
srdmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalma View Post
This! If this could be solved it would really be great!!...
Sorry for being out of topic, but I could not resist..
This is what I was suggesting but adding a manual PDC delay box in the I/O window instead of having to use the JS delay plugin to accomplish the same task.