Old 08-26-2019, 02:48 AM   #1
multibody
Human being with feelings

Default HiDPI: Per-Plugin Option for UI-Scaling (Windows)

Hi,

I just got a 4K-Monitor and use it with 150%-Scaling-Mode on a Windows10 computer.

With this windows-screen setting Reaper looks gorgoeus in HighDPI-Mode "aware".

Concerning plugins the situation is different:
- Some plugins do follow the windows setting and look gorgoeus too (FabFilter plugins for example)
- Most plugins do not follow the windows-setting and become unusable small (Waves plugins for example)

As far as I know plugins have to be adapted to follow these relatively new windows-scaling-mechanism. This will not happen for many legacy plugins.

To make these plugins usable in Reaper HiDPI-Mode I think it will be necessary to implement a per-plugin option to pass the windows scaling setting. This should zoom them to the correct size (of course making them look blurry, but usable sized).

I read on other forums this is available on most other daws (Ableton, Studio-One...) Therefore this has to be possible for Reaper too.

Until this option is implemented I have to use Reaper in "unaware"-mode which looks blurry but always gives correct plugin sizing.
multibody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:05 AM   #2
swindus

Yes, same for me. Some kind of plugin gui scaling as a per plugin option would be great! Thanks!
swindus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #3
cbenci

Location: In your cupboard with something for you in my hand.

+1

I am surprised this isn't in Reaper 6. This is essential in 2019.

www.thoughtbox.com.au - www.trojanband.com.au
cbenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
p4thie

You can pass your Windows scaling setting for most of plugins by making them running in a separated process (or dedicated processes). Reaper will do x64-bridging for them, and they'll follow your Windows scaling settings. Although this function is not for GUI scaling (it is for plugin-sandboxing, speaking of which you should take advantage of), it serves as a solution to small plugin windows.

The drawback is that you cannot embed plugins in FX windows when they are in a separated process (or dedicated processes). A little annoying but bearable in my opinion.
p4thie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by p4thie View Post
The drawback is that you cannot embed plugins in FX windows when they are in a separated process (or dedicated processes). A little annoying but bearable in my opinion.
You can, on Windows at least.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:43 AM   #6
Joe90

Quote:
You can pass your Windows scaling setting for most of plugins by making them running in a separated process (or dedicated processes). Reaper will do x64-bridging for them, and they'll follow your Windows scaling settings. Although this function is not for GUI scaling (it is for plugin-sandboxing, speaking of which you should take advantage of), it serves as a solution to small plugin windows.

The major disadvantage for me is that plugins running in a separate process will steal all keyboard focus, your key commands for play/stop/record/write automation/ or (most annoyingly) close FX window, will all be ignored.

Check out the latest pre-release versions, the feature you're requesting is here, and it works very well for most plugins (problem plugins I've found include komplete kontrol, kontakt and nebula, but those plugins have the same issue with S1 when using their per-plugin HiDPI scaling, so I'm not gonna blame Reaper for that one).
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #7
p4thie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You can, on Windows at least.
Yes, that was my mistake. However if you embed bridged plugins that are not capable of GUI resizing, they ignore Windows scaling settings and you get small GUIs once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The major disadvantage for me is that plugins running in a separate process will steal all keyboard focus, your key commands for play/stop/record/write automation/ or (most annoyingly) close FX window, will all be ignored.
That is annoying too, it is nice have an option for per-plugin HiDPI scaling anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Check out the latest pre-release versions, the feature you're requesting is here, and it works very well for most plugins (problem plugins I've found include komplete kontrol, kontakt and nebula, but those plugins have the same issue with S1 when using their per-plugin HiDPI scaling, so I'm not gonna blame Reaper for that one).
Really? I am using the v6.01+dev1209, can't find the option. Could you tell me where it is?
Old 12-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
multibody

Quote:
Really? I am using the v6.01+dev1209, can't find the option. Could you tell me where it is?
You have to press the little + above the plugin when floating. Then you can find it under "Compatibility Settings".

Unfortunately this is not available via righ-click in the fx-browser. That would be more convenient.
multibody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
p4thie

Quote:
Originally Posted by multibody View Post
You have to press the little + above the plugin when floating. Then you can find it under "Compatibility Settings".

Unfortunately this is not available via righ-click in the fx-browser. That would be more convenient.
Thanks. So, it works when a FX is floating (but it doesn't when embedded). Okay, that's nice.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:25 AM   #10
n997

Quote:
Originally Posted by multibody View Post

For some reason, I can't make that work on a Windows 8.1 system, probably due to some customization I've made previously. I can turn the "HiDPI compatibility mode when floating window" setting on, but it does nothing on my setup.

What OS and DPI/scaling settings (both in REAPER and OS) this has been tested to work on?
n997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 06:45 AM   #11
lorcan

There's actually a standard VST3 extension intended just for that, it's just that Reaper doesn't yet implement it.

See my FR here Support Steinberg / Presonus VST / VST3 HiDPI extensions