Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 02-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
220volt
Human being with feelings

Default External (USB/Firewire) mixer advice needed

What I am looking for is external mixer (that you can actually mix on it and not on the PC) that can record 4 tracks at the same time(two vocals and two guitars) at the same time and sent it to PC via USB or firewire. Within $500 price range. Of course with decent preamps.

Is there a such a thing?

Here are requirements:
1. Ability to connect two acoustic/electric guitar and two mic's at the same time with no external preamps (I have only one good external acoustic preamp actually). Not sure if I would need a DI Box for other guitarist or not.
2. Ability to connect external near field monitors (XLR)
3. Ability to connect CD player or some other audio source where I can play guitar (see number 1) along with backing track (CD) and route everything via USB or Firewire to a PC.
4. I like to do hands on mixing with my own actual hands vs on a PC. It just kills creativity for me fiddling with mouse and software issues.
5. Easy transport to a PC or laptop
6. Flexibility for live and home studio work

Thanks in advance
220volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
jaimematic

There is such a thing but you will be hard pressed to find it for $500 unless it's used. One that comes to mind is the M-Audio NRV-10. It gets good reviews. I considered buying but it has no midi and the phantom power is universal. Beyond that I guess you're looking at an m-audio project mix I/O. Hope it helps.
jaimematic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
helpdeskeddy

I've no experience with these, but I've read the SOS review of the Alesis Multimix 16 Firewire. They were pretty positive about it (given the low price of course). Cons: the preamps were a little noisy at highest gain settings, the mid EQ is a bit harsh for boosting. And the onboard effects are not very high quality...

There is a Multimix 8 (Firewire or USB) available... you might want to check that out.

Eddy
helpdeskeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
ezurick

I just purchased this

http://www.phonic.com/en/audio-inter...wire-mkii.html

I love it! The drivers are solid and I have zero issues. They make a smaller one if you don't need all those inputs, but their prices are reasonable!
ezurick is offline   Reply With Quote