Old 03-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #1
przemak
Human being with feelings

Default Strange MIDI velocity case.

I was recording MIDI keyboard the other day. USB connection, everything is fine, except one key, A5, which is broken in pianist own Casio Privia and sends 127 velocity sometimes. OK, no problem, we'll edit it. We all heard those loud notes when recording, I pressed stop and tried to find that notes to edit them, but... no luck - all A5 were nice and just fine, like the other notes. Velocity is maintained of course, everything was like while recording, only those four or five notes were corrected to similiar values as neighbours. Very strange - is there something "under the hood" of Reaper MIDI engine I don't know about?
Thanks,
Przemek.
przemak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:52 AM   #2
DarkStar

Probably But not something that would cause loud A5 notes.

-- what VSTi are you using?
-- does it happen with other VSTis?
-- what happens if you record the MIDI, fix any weird velocities and play back that MIDI clip?
Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #3
przemak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Probably But not something that would cause loud A5 notes.

-- what VSTi are you using?
-- does it happen with other VSTis?
-- what happens if you record the MIDI, fix any weird velocities and play back that MIDI clip?
Key is broken, verified many times, common thing, sends full velocity via MIDI and plays loud from it's own sound generator. It's not a VSTi problem, because it's MIDI note velocity that was corrected, not sound
Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
DarkStar

but you said "I pressed stop and tried to find that notes to edit them, but... no luck - all A5 were nice and just fine, like the other notes"

Ah, I misunderstood. You mean they were all there, but their velocity was 127. And you then edited them to be similar velocities to their neighbours?

There is nothing standard that I know of. A specially-written JS FX could change those velocities. What exactly would you want to happen?
Old 03-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
przemak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
but you said "I pressed stop and tried to find that notes to edit them, but... no luck - all A5 were nice and just fine, like the other notes"

Ah, I misunderstood. You mean they were all there, but their velocity was 127. And you then edited them to be similar velocities to their neighbours?

There is nothing standard that I know of. A specially-written JS FX could change those velocities. What exactly would you want to happen?
Nono. During recording those notes (5-6, not many) had max velocity. I didn't edit it, because I needn't to - after recording they somehow mysteriously changed their velocity to average and sounded just fine. I know that this is stupid, but this is what happened
Old 03-16-2019, 05:59 AM   #6
Hartley Mays

What evidence is there that it sends the 127 velocity, as opposed to just sounding/playing it at that velocity, but transmitting the correct velocity to Reaper?

Later,
Hartley
Hartley Mays is offline   Reply With Quote