Old 08-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #81
J Riley Hill
Human being with feelings

Hey just submitted a feature request, that could improve the usability of this script for some people. (I know it would for me anyway)

take look and give a +1 if you agree and have time!
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....94#post2170594
J Riley Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:13 AM   #82
cool

Thanks for the scripts! Really very useful.
Everything works well, only in the script for audio there is one inconvenience - to undo the inserted item, you need to press ctrl+z five(!) times. It is very uncomfortable.

rus:
Привет, Евгений!
Спасибо за работу! Реально очень полезные скрипты.
Всё работает хорошо, только в скрипте для аудио есть одно неудобство - чтобы отменить вставленный айтем, нужно нажать ctrl+z пять(!) раз. Это очень неудобно. Есть ли какая-то вероятность, что это будет исправлено в будущем?
Я пробовал сам поправить путём прописывания Undo_BeginBlock/Undo_EndBlock, но не справился. Похоже, проблема за пределами моих навыков.
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #83
Zeno

Your script doesn't like me
The JS plugins can not be created.

Both scripts (Audio and MIDI)

Reaper V5.982
windows 8.1

EDIT: The subfolder "utility" did not exist. After I made the directory, everything works.

Last edited by Zeno; 08-21-2019 at 07:32 AM. Reason: WORKS NOW
Zeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:14 AM   #84
chumbo

Default Why 2 versions of each script?

Hi,
Just curious if this is normal....why are there 2 versions that seem identical of each script?

Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper - Retrospective Record.png (10.8 KB, 161 views)
chumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 03:55 AM   #85
cfillion

Looks like you have them installed twice in different directories. _RS16cbe147128449272b640262b4d5aae677aa6b0b and _RS7982ce5b87e31949dd6ede87cf3314c26ad6bcd5 are the ones installed by ReaPack.
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 04:45 AM   #86
chumbo

That was it, thx!
Old 11-11-2019, 04:55 AM   #87
chumbo

Can't quite get this thing to work?
I open a track, have it selected, run the script, I get the prompt to set the buffer and the following JS successfully created message.

I then hit play, noodle around on my guitar, hit stop and....then what??
I ran the script again but it does nothing.
What am I missing?

EDIT: Ok, got it! So for those future newbies like me...make sure you have a track selected when you run the script after having played. I must have clicked around with my mouse somewhere else in the project and the track got deselected so running the script did nothing.

Last edited by chumbo; 11-11-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #88
Jae.Thomas

is there a way to make this run in the background without playback?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:48 PM   #89
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Hi, could you please help me about Retro Rec? Its always just capture Channel 1 & 2 from my Audio Interface. Is there a way to change the Input channels?

Thanks!
you have to open up the track manager, make the hidden JS auxilliary track visible and change its input to the desired one. Unfortunately, the input selection doesn't adjust automatically (yet). Also, the script doesn't seem to be able to handle more than one stereo track at a time that is recorded retroactively.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #90
IadAslan

Ok I tried the midi record - did not work as expected unfortunately - now however nothing is working anymore!

VSTi's are not playable anymore unless I select the track and have playback running. Even on a fresh project without any of the script running!!

How can I completely remove whatever this script has done?
IadAslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:40 AM   #91
IadAslan

Anyone?? MIDI is completely screwed up now and it seems it's on a deeper level since nothing I can do within Reaper has any effect on it!
IadAslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #92
DreamDisease

This is awesome, works great for audio, haven't tried MIDI yet. Thanks!

Just one tiny thing though, since this works by always having a hidden always armed track, is it possible to make that track exempt from the "alt+click" function that makes all tracks except the one you click disarm? Somehow in the Track Manager?

I use that function a lot just to make sure I'm only recording one track and I realized it's disabling the hidden track and causing it not to work in those cases.
DreamDisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #93
chumbo

You could try 'Lock track controls' (right-click the TCP). You would of course need to unhide it first, then lock it, and hide it again.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #94
DreamDisease

Arg that seems to lock it in disarmed mode no matter what though. I never record more than one track at once so maybe I'll just change the way I do things to set every track in the template to autoarm on select and then hopefully never need to use alt+click. Thanks!
DreamDisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:12 PM   #95
chazza2

Hi all

Loving this script in anticipation, but so far haven't been able to install it.
I can play the piano, but not so much the computer. Can anyone help?
I've tried copying and pasting the script into a Windows text file in a folder I created in the Scripts menu of my AppDate-Roaming-Reaper folder, but the Actions List in Reaper doesn't see it when I go 'load new reascript'.
Sorry for the noob ignorance, but could anyone tell me how to get it right?
chazza2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #96
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazza2 View Post
Hi all

Loving this script in anticipation, but so far haven't been able to install it.
I can play the piano, but not so much the computer. Can anyone help?
I've tried copying and pasting the script into a Windows text file in a folder I created in the Scripts menu of my AppDate-Roaming-Reaper folder, but the Actions List in Reaper doesn't see it when I go 'load new reascript'.
Sorry for the noob ignorance, but could anyone tell me how to get it right?
I posted a reply in your other thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=244539
Old 11-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #97
chazza2

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
I posted a reply in your other thread: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=244539
Thank you so much for taking the time Solger. All solved and running now. Feeling so much better about life and everything already!
Only thing I missed was setting the buffer on the first run so I could record longer (too impatient!), but I'll get to that eventually...
Cheers buddy!
chazza2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:29 AM   #98
Aikido123

Trying to figure out how to use this script. It seems very promising, but the instructions for getting it up and running and usable are lacking for someone who is not fully acquainted with scripting in Reaper I guess.
I've downloaded the script and copied it into a new script file and ran it. It ran fine. But now what? I see it created a hidden track. How do I invoke the RR behavior? How do I get the recorded notes into a track?
I don't see a 'retro' action in my Action List.

Update:
I've got the script in the Action List with a shortcut now. But I still have no results.
I start a new project and add a track for Midi input. I run the script and it creates the hidden track and I see that it is getting midi input when I play.
How do I invoke the retrospective recorded notes? I rerun the script, nothing happens. I hit play, nothing.
Can someone enlighten me?

Update 2
Ok, now I get it. You have to be playing the transport for it to record anything. So for me, that doesn't seem very useful.
For me, the point of RR is to have it record in the background without me even knowing about it until the moment comes when I've played something useful and I want to retrieve it. If I have to hit play first, it implies that I think I'm going to play something useful. I might as well just hit record and play some stuff and then delete it if I don't play anything good.
Oh well, a long way to go to come up empty.

Last edited by Aikido123; 01-02-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Aikido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:02 AM   #99
beingmf

Is it possible to add "Preserve PDC delayed monitoring" to this script, analog to the MIDI recording options?
The script is working flawlessly here, apart from the fact that the midi events are much too early when playing at higher buffer sizes.

btw. Happy new year to everyone!
Old 01-06-2021, 08:49 AM   #100
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Is it possible to add "Preserve PDC delayed monitoring" to this script, analog to the MIDI recording options?
If you are asking the author, he won't reply, because he is not with us anymore.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #101
beingmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
If you are asking the author, he won't reply, because he is not with us anymore.
Sadly I know, hence I ask you group of gifted script wizards.
Old 01-06-2021, 02:43 PM   #102
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beingmf View Post
Sadly I know, hence I ask you group of gifted script wizards.
Unfortunately I'm not good at it, so can't help.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #103
Anshul999

This script is amazing. Sorry to hear that the developer is no longer with us.
But can anyone help me figure out how to set this as an 'always-on' script, that starts automatically? I've set it as a global startup action right now in a custom action where ReaLauncher starts first, and then this script runs. However, it doesn't seem to work automatically after loading a project - I have to re-run the script, set buffer size, and then it will run.

So, I'd like to make it always run on any project I load, and instead of always asking for the buffer size, just fix it to "2" buffers so it doesn't prompt me. Can anyone tell me a way to do that? Thanks.
Anshul999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:35 PM   #104
chumbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Just to clarify...what is that exactly supposed to me? Because if that line was said in a movie, it would mean he's dead!
I hope you mean he's just no longer on the Reaper platform?
Old 05-29-2021, 03:20 PM   #105
_Stevie_

Unfortunately, he is indeed dead
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=244621
Old 06-03-2021, 10:19 AM   #106
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anshul999 View Post
So, I'd like to make it always run on any project I load, and instead of always asking for the buffer size, just fix it to "2" buffers so it doesn't prompt me. Can anyone tell me a way to do that? Thanks.
I had a look at the code of the 'gen_Retrospective Record (audio).eel' script and for setting the buffer without a prompt, removing or disabling lines 116 and 122 should be enough (highlighted in bold):

Code:
//==============Set Specific JS_Track Parameters==============//
     Track_ID>0 && FX_index==0 ? 
     (SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"I_RECARM",1);SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"I_RECMON",1);//Rec-Arm = Enable//Rec-Monitor = Enable
      SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"I_RECINPUT",Rec_IN);SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"I_RECMODE",2);//Set Rec_IN and Mode=Disable(Mon Only)  
      SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"B_MAINSEND",0);//No send to master/parent track!
           //=====Clone JSFX(aka Buffers)-for RRAudio ONLY=====//
           RR_Type ? (SetOnlyTrackSelected(Track_ID);//Select Only! JS_Track
                      Main_OnCommandEx(NamedCommandLookup("_S&M_COPYFXCHAIN5"), 0, 0);//Copy JS
                      GetUserInputs("Set  the  number  of  buffers", 1 , "Set number of buffers(1-16):", #Buffs);//Set
                      match("%i",#Buffs, Buffs);//as Integer = Buffs
                      Buffs<1 ?  Buffs=1; Buffs>16 ? Buffs=16;//If user set val<1 or val>16
                      loop(Buffs-1, Main_OnCommandEx(NamedCommandLookup("_S&M_COPYFXCHAIN10"),0,0);); );//Paste(clone) JS              
      SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"I_SELECTED",0);//Unselect Track
      TrackList_AdjustWindows(0);//Update Tracklist
      MB("Done!","Info",0); );//End Set Specific JS_Track Parameters  
 Track_ID;//Return
);
In line 122, make sure to keep the following part (when removing the MB MessageBox part)
Code:
);//End Set Specific JS_Track Parameters
after
Code:
MB("Done!","Info",0);
or move it to the next line (see code below), since ); is the matching end bracket to the start bracket ( in line 110.

The entire Insert_JS_Track function looks like this then (when changing the two lines to a comment line by putting // in front of them):
Code:
function Insert_JS_Track()//===Insert Track(if not found);Create JS(if not Exist);Set Specific JS_Track Parameters===//
( InsertTrackAtIndex(0,Defaults);//Insert Track,Index=0
  Track_ID = GetTrack(0, 0); GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(Track_ID, "P_NAME", #JS_Track_Name, 1);//Get Track_ID;Set Track Name
  SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"B_SHOWINTCP",0);SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"B_SHOWINMIXER",0);//Hide TRACK in TCP & Mixer
  FX_index = TrackFX_GetByName(Track_ID,#JS_FX_Name,1);//Insert JSFX and Get FX_index 
     FX_index<0 ? (MB = MB("The desired JS-utility is not found!\nWould you like to create it?\n(In REAPER\\Effects\\utility folder)", "Info", 0);
                     //===Create JS in Reaper resoursces folder(Patch\REAPER\Effects\midi)==//
                     MB ?  (Create_JS_Utility() ? FX_index=TrackFX_GetByName(Track_ID,#JS_FX_Name,1);//Create JS//Insert JSFX//Get index 
                            FX_index==0 ? MB("Successfully!", "Info", 0) : MB("Failed...", "Info", 0);););//Verify//End Create&Insert JSFX               

(SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"I_RECARM",1);SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"I_RECMON",1);//Rec-Arm = Enable//Rec-Monitor = Enable
      SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"I_RECINPUT",Rec_IN);SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"I_RECMODE",2);//Set Rec_IN and Mode=Disable(Mon Only)  
      SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"B_MAINSEND",0);//No send to master/parent track!
                      //GetUserInputs("Set  the  number  of  buffers", 1 , "Set number of buffers(1-16):", #Buffs);//Set
                      loop(Buffs-1, Main_OnCommandEx(NamedCommandLookup("_S&M_COPYFXCHAIN10"),0,0);); );//Paste(clone) JS              
      //MB("Done!","Info",0);
 Track_ID;//Return
);
If necessary, adjusting the buffer size value should then still be possible in line 210:
Code:
#Buffs="2";//Default Buffs Value in UserInput

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anshul999 View Post
This script is amazing. Sorry to hear that the developer is no longer with us.
But can anyone help me figure out how to set this as an 'always-on' script, that starts automatically? I've set it as a global startup action right now in a custom action where ReaLauncher starts first, and then this script runs. However, it doesn't seem to work automatically after loading a project - I have to re-run the script, set buffer size, and then it will run.
I think it might be possible to add a functionality to my ReaLauncher script to set an Action Command ID (e.g. of a Custom Action) which is then triggered after loading a project (from ReaLauncher).

I'll add this topic to my list for further investigation

Last edited by solger; 06-03-2021 at 10:52 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #107
Anshul999

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
I had a look at the code of the 'gen_Retrospective Record (audio).eel' script and for setting the buffer without a prompt, removing or disabling lines 116 and 122 should be enough (highlighted in bold):

Code:
                      GetUserInputs("Set  the  number  of  buffers", 1 , "Set number of buffers(1-16):", #Buffs);//Set
      MB("Done!","Info",0); );//End Set Specific JS_Track Parameters  
 Track_ID;//Return
);
In line 122, make sure to keep the following part (when removing the MB MessageBox part)
Code:
after
Code:
MB("Done!","Info",0);
or move it to the next line (see code below), since ); is the matching end bracket to the start bracket ( in line 110.

The entire Insert_JS_Track function looks like this then (when changing the two lines to a comment line by putting // in front of them):
Code:
function Insert_JS_Track()//===Insert Track(if not found);Create JS(if not Exist);Set Specific JS_Track Parameters===//
( InsertTrackAtIndex(0,Defaults);//Insert Track,Index=0
  Track_ID = GetTrack(0, 0); GetSetMediaTrackInfo_String(Track_ID, "P_NAME", #JS_Track_Name, 1);//Get Track_ID;Set Track Name
  SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"B_SHOWINTCP",0);SetMediaTrackInfo_Value(Track_ID,"B_SHOWINMIXER",0);//Hide TRACK in TCP & Mixer
  FX_index = TrackFX_GetByName(Track_ID,#JS_FX_Name,1);//Insert JSFX and Get FX_index 
     FX_index<0 ? (MB = MB("The desired JS-utility is not found!\nWould you like to create it?\n(In REAPER\\Effects\\utility folder)", "Info", 0);
                     //===Create JS in Reaper resoursces folder(Patch\REAPER\Effects\midi)==//
                     MB ?  (Create_JS_Utility() ? FX_index=TrackFX_GetByName(Track_ID,#JS_FX_Name,1);//Create JS//Insert JSFX//Get index 
                            FX_index==0 ? MB("Successfully!", "Info", 0) : MB("Failed...", "Info", 0);););//Verify//End Create&Insert JSFX               

//GetUserInputs("Set  the  number  of  buffers", 1 , "Set number of buffers(1-16):", #Buffs);//Set
      //MB("Done!","Info",0);
 Track_ID;//Return
);
If necessary, adjusting the buffer size value should then still be possible in line 210:
Code:
#Buffs="2";//Default Buffs Value in UserInput

I think it might be possible to add a functionality to my ReaLauncher script to set an Action Command ID (e.g. of a Custom Action) which is then triggered after loading a project (from ReaLauncher).

I'll add this topic to my list for further investigation

Thank you so much! That worked perfectly, so now I can simply click on it from my toolbar and it works without interrupting anything.

And if you can integrate it into ReaLauncher, that would be amazing. Even though this script is amazing, the idea for retrospective record is that it must be active all the time so that you can recall anything you played in the last few minutes. Too many times I have not been able to make good use of this because I didn't activate the script. I've tried setting it as global and project startup actions, but that doesn't really work.

I have seen discussions on this forum regarding a 'global project startup action' that will apply to all projects every time, but seems like it does not exist yet? It would be very cool to have that for these kinds of scripts. I guess integrating it into ReaLauncher would effectively serve the same purpose, so that would be truly amazing.

Last edited by Anshul999; 06-03-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Anshul999 is offline   Reply With Quote