Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #1
psingman
Human being with feelings

Default Replacing kick drum in EZdrummer with samples and mixing?

Ok, spent all night reading the threads about replacing kick drums using Drumreaplacer, Aptrigga, JS stillwell/drum trigger and so on. So, since Ezdrummer is midi, does this rule out Drumreaplacer or can it be used? From my research, it seems the JS plug is more useful in what I was asking in the title.

So, which method is the best for replacing kick drums with other kick samples in the EZdrummer section? Do you use the older pipeline Reafir video showing to accomplish this or is there a simpler way to play the drum track in Reaper and grab the kick then replace it and then add it and play it along with the EZdrummer track? Finally, best samples that you have run across and where to download them, as I keep getting 404 pages, thanks for listening, assisting me, psingman
psingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
Swamp Ape

One easy way to do it to put ReaGate on the track you want to replace and have it "send midi on open/close" to note 36 (or whatever works for your EZdrummer) and have Ezdrummer behind it. Be sure to turn the wet and dry all the way down on Reagate to mute the original sound.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
planetnine

ReaGate will trigger a MIDI signal from an audio input, but if this is related to your other Kick drum in EZD thread, it might be easier to take a send of your original MIDI sequence and use something like Reasamplomatic or Short Circuit to trigger audio from it.

Edit: You already have a MIDI signal for the Kick drum Psingman, which is what most drum-tracking/replacing plugs/programs do (including ReaGate in this example, Audio trigger in -MIDI out).

You just need to trigger a Kick drum sample (from your MIDI) to sidechain process your Bass Gtr; use Reasamplomatic or Short Circuit like I suggest in your other thread:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=101381

>

Last edited by planetnine; 04-22-2012 at 03:33 AM.
planetnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
psingman

Yeah, I get it. I am realizing that you just have to experiment with all these scenarios, and get them down before doing more recording...i.e. why I ask so many q's, but just as I could never get a direct answer when my home was in foreclosure, you have to "PASS" through it. There can be some serious consequences though, and I have mucho tales to tell using Reaper and hard drives being accidentally erased, ouch, bad memory, haha, thanks for helping, psingman
Old 04-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
psingman

OK, I am really wrestling with this issue. Do you have to take the EZdrummer setup and do multichannel outs to make the kick, snares, toms etc. on different tracks to accomplish this? Please explain, if not, then how do you accomplish this again, the changing of the kick drum that was in Ezdrummer, possibly adding one to a track below the Ezdrummer track, blending and then sidechain compressing with the bass.

So, does anyone seem to grasp what I am asking? I think this must have come up quite a bit for those using EZdrummer in Reaper and trying to tweak the drums, am I correct? Is this difficult because it is in MIDI, seems with all the threads mentioning Reagate, Reasamplomatic, it can be done, somehow. Will keep waiting on responses. I did try it tonight in my studio, none of the suggestions worked...am sure it can be done but don't want to muddle up the mix, hoping, psingman
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
planetnine

No, you take a send from the track where your MIDI is to a spare track. Make the send MIDI-only. Put Reasamplomatic on this track and get it to trigger a kick sample from the MIDI note that fires the kick in EZD. Once you have it working, turn off "Master/Parent Send" on this track. Use a send (audio-only) from this track to the sidechain of your bass gtr comp (prob 1/2 => 3/4 on send channels); set the comp up to duck transparently.

Use a recording of the kick you are using in EZD if you don't have any kick samples to hand; Reasamplomatic isn't that hard to get to grips with.

>
Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
psingman

Ok, Planetnine, will try your method right now. I do have some kick samples to work with....oh, the ones from Pipe didn't unzip after I downloaded them, something is amiss with the file, OK, just notifying. I do appreciate all your assistance, you keep tabs on all us needy ones and we receive your help gratefully, psingman
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
psingman

Ok, got it to work, but it is picking up the snare and even some hihats later in the mix. It does sound neat though, but how do you get rid of those higher frequencies....in other words, why does a kick drum sample play the other drum parts, hmmm, getting it figured out, psingman
Old 04-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
planetnine

Sorry Psingman, I've had my glass of port early tonight and it tends to dull my telepathic senses -you're going to have to explain this a little more clearly

What is playing what? Are you using Reasamplomatic with just a Kick sample or are you using Short Circuit with a fuller sound set? If the latter, your MIDI is probably triggering the other sounds and you need to disable them somehow.

There are some MIDI filter JS plugs to save you ripping the S/Cct config to pieces if it's that.

>
Old 04-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
psingman

HMMM, Port, late, night, another hmm. Yes, I got Reasamplomatic to work. You have to use Reagate with it though and Reafir, if you want to just get the bass sounds of the drums, kick, i.e.

If there is a better way, then please mention. So, I opened up a blank track under EZdrummer track. Then I sent the midi out to that track to FX section, with Reafir first, then Reagate, with bass gated, then to Reasamplomatic with the different samples I downloaded to try. OK, seemed the only way to make it all work together. Again, any scenarios that have been followed that work better, please enlighten.

I can see where doing the multiout thingie in Reaper with EZdrummer would get that bass part on its own track and you could sidechain it better with Reacomp on the bass one. Oops, yeah, followed the sidechaining process, though, on this song I am working on, didn't do that much.

Final tip, went back and tried all sorts of saturators on the bass track...TLS saturated driver blew them all away. Somehow it boosted the bass without woofing out my speakers and made it clearer, go figure. Over and out, psingman
Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
psingman

"quote"There are some MIDI filter JS plugs to save you ripping the S/Cct config to pieces if it's that.

INteresting, which ones would be best with EZdrummer, or a midi vsti? I know there is best method and when I get it ironed out, will be able to move faster on all my tracking...i.e. why I am configuring a go to template for most of my works, will post it when I remove the wrinkles, OK, psingman