Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
herg67
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper doesn't quantize properly

I just don't understand when editing in grid mode, with quantize set at 100% and most beats are pretty close why Reaper only quantizes some of them and not others. I select all of them but it seems selective for no reason at all.
herg67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
xpander

Any example of how it doesn't work, perhaps a screencap of the notes and the quantize settings?
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
herg67

[QUOTE=xpander;1439269]Any example of how it doesn't work, perhaps a screencap of the notes and the quantize settings

Not sure why you would heed a screenshot when I have stated the problem. It doesnt quantize all notes at 100%
Old 12-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herg67 View Post
Not sure why you would heed a screenshot when I have stated the problem.
Since a screenshot may be helpful in solving your problem?

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-06-2014 at 06:03 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #5
Giano
Banned

Same here. Reaper does not quantize correctly !
I solve this problem by moving some midi notes manually !
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:06 AM   #6
mabian

Hello,

if there's something wrong, devs should be able to see what and how in order to understand why and eventually fix.

Without this, as sad as it can be, example (and pictures/screencaps), or it didn't happen for devs

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:16 AM   #7
herg67

As you can see another poster has the same problem so it needs a fix in the next version. A screenshot will show exactly what I have described. Some midi notes off and some on quantize. What more do you need to know ?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:23 AM   #8
Badmotor

I always had this problem as well, but thought I was doing something wrong - so I just started doing it all manually as well.
Badmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:31 AM   #9
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herg67 View Post
As you can see another poster has the same problem so it needs a fix in the next version. A screenshot will show exactly what I have described. Some midi notes off and some on quantize. What more do you need to know ?
A sample minimal project with a recipe of how to reproduce the issue, I guess that would be gold in order to find what's going on....

- Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:11 AM   #10
donchilcott

Default Another issue?

My quantize works fine...
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:12 AM   #11
ivansc

Probably nothing to do with this issue at all, but all three of you with the problem:

You did check that the resolution on your grid was set correctly to actually move the notes that were already close?

I used to get this "problem" in my old sequencer software - if you have the resolution set to 1/16 and your notes are already closer than that they wont get quantised any more accurately, as in any other software I have used subsequently.

Again, sorry if this is a red herring.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:24 AM   #12
EvilDragon

Screenshots/project are helpful to devs. Do them.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:25 AM   #13
Gerry

Works perfectly for me so here is a question what have you set in the midi window bottom left?

Old 12-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
ivansc

My point exactly, Gerry.

I suspect this is the problem for all three of the reporters.....
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #15
Giano
Banned

Of course after quantizing in Reaper you get a different result, sometimes result makes sense or let´s say, it fits to the Music, sometimes not at all, it´s like a random function. Reaper is just doing something haphazardly, so I prefer doing it manually. I suppose you can use Reaper´s quantization only with very simple things, as soon as you want to get something experimental or more complex, Reaper fails. I know you can even try SWS quantization with features from Logic, but it does not work, either. I remember a version of Logic Emagic 3.xx (?)many years ago (watching someone using a daw for the first time), never saw or heard of any issues with quantization. Midi bottom left is set to "velocity".

Last edited by Giano; 12-07-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #16
Doc Brown

I have ran into this problem before where quantize wouldn't work and I finally figured out that in most of the instances it was due to the notes overlapping. I'm not saying that's the case here but another variable to think about I guess.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #17
EvilDragon

Quantizing works here just fine... Post projects/screenshots/GIFs, people, if you want to be heard and understood properly.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #18
Giano
Banned

I do not even think it is a bug, it´s simple a low standard or low quality in Reaper, but this is not a problem for me, as I already said, I can do it manually.
When I have some free time, I will try to show drums that I play on a keyboard with small parts that have to be improved.
I will show before and after quantization (I ll tell the settings, as well)

Last edited by Giano; 12-07-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #19
micron

here works fine, you should also check additional quantize options, such as what to quantize(position, note end, etc), quantize strength.....
Not a low standard at all, i would say that once you understand how it works, it will be very flexible.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #20
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by micron View Post
here works fine, you should also check additional quantize options, such as what to quantize(position, note end, etc), quantize strength.....
Not a low standard at all, i would say that once you understand how it works, it will be very flexible.
If I have a midi drum Loop (played with a Keyboard), I simply want the drum loop to be quantized. Strength set to 100% is not an option for me, sounds too robotic, 1/4 note as well no option, 1/16 or 1/32 depends on how complex the drums are. I do not want to select new Options every time I quantize drum, Keep it simple, tweaking strength should be enough or do you select only parts of the drum Loop, maybe kick drums only ? I am asking, because maybe you are right and I do not do it properly.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #21
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
I do not want to select new Options every time I quantize drum, Keep it simple, tweaking strength should be enough or do you select only parts of the drum Loop, maybe kick drums only ? I am asking, because maybe you are right and I do not do it properly.
I'd say that's your problem, if you've got any straight 16th notes then you have to quantize with straight 16th settings. If you've got a mixture of straight 32nd, 16th, 8th, and 1/4 notes then you have to use straight 32nd settings.

If you've got a mixture of straight 8th and 8th triplet, then you have to quantize twice in the corresponding positions.

Quantize works good here too but my settings are set up for the notes that are to be quantized.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #22
Giano
Banned

[QUOTE=Tod;1439499]I'd say that's your problem, if you've got any straight 16th notes then you have to quantize with straight 16th settings. If you've got a mixture of straight 32nd, 16th, 8th, and 1/4 notes then you have to use straight 32nd settings.

QUOTE]

That´s exactly what I tried to do, but by doing it manually I get better results.

For me quantization is only sometimes important for drum loops, sometimes the loop does not start properly, that´s because
the end of Loop was not played decently. This can be sometimes corrected manually by moving midi notes and that´s the way I prefer,
because quantizing the whole loop destroys the original feel - I do not produce electronic music a lot, so I do not aim for "boring" monotonous perfection !

Last edited by Giano; 12-07-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #23
donchilcott

Default Learn to ignore inflammatory titles ...

When You read a inflammatory subject like above with 2 users agreeing midi doesn't work in reaper, don't you ask yourself "why haven't thousands or at least hundreds of other users had this problem??? If you see it's a noob innocently seeking help then I understand if you go further. You can also browse the OPs previous posts and see how long they have been a member... Get my drift?
donchilcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #24
Fergler

Just post the project already
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #25
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donchilcott View Post
When You read a inflammatory subject like above with 2 users agreeing midi doesn't work in reaper, don't you ask yourself "why haven't thousands or at least hundreds of other users had this problem??? If you see it's a noob innocently seeking help then I understand if you go further. You can also browse the OPs previous posts and see how long they have been a member... Get my drift?
Don´t agree with you, because not every Reaper user reads or joins this thread and with Logic Emagic vers. 3.x.x I never had quantization issues, as far as I can remember version 3 must be older than 10 years now! It might be some do not know how quantization works in Reaper properly. But on the other hand no one was able to explain the way quantization works properly, refering to a few possible settings won´t help, more detailed explanation would be a lot better. Well, if your drum loops are only simple kick drum, simple snare and simple high hat, then quantization even in Reaper is not a big deal ! ? and pls do not refer to manual

Last edited by Giano; 12-07-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #26
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giano View Post
That´s exactly what I tried to do, but by doing it manually I get better results.

For me quantization is only sometimes important for drum loops, sometimes the loop does not start properly, that´s because
the end of Loop was not played decently. This can be sometimes corrected manually by moving midi notes and that´s the way I prefer,
because quantizing the whole loop destroys the original feel - I do not produce electronic music a lot, so I do not aim for "boring" monotonous perfection !
Nobody simply quantizes for quantize sake. I think we all scrutinize when and when not to quantize.

But this thread is not about that, it's about "Reaper doesn't quantize properly" and it appears some folks are having problems with it.

That's why there are some folks trying to help.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #27
Giano
Banned

Maybe I will have to check out every quantization Feature and possible setting of Reaper - 2 days quantization only. In case I do not succeed I could still download Trial Version of Cubase Essential, but I´d prefer to do it in Reaper.

Thanks for your good piece of advice, Tod
Old 12-08-2014, 04:08 AM   #28
herg67

Settings are

Grid-1/16
Straight
Notes-Grid
Old 12-08-2014, 04:16 AM   #29
EvilDragon

Again. Post a project. Screenshots. GIFs. Don't be lazy.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #30
Remco Z

Ehm ... maybe a weird idea...
but I remember that @ my 1st install , everything set to defaults , not a single customization ... well , the Quantize in Pianoroll editor had a bypass ticked .
I didn't notice it at first
Lasso-ing all notes & hitting "Q" left the offset notes as they were , in fact , not quantizing at all .
Deticked "bypass" and poof , all quantized tight .
Since then , bypass remained ever deticked .

Worth to check ? ;-)

Remco Z
Remco Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #31
Lawrence

It's probably something really simple like the little check box for "bypass" being checked, which means it won't work. Why in the heck quantize even defaults to having that box checked is beyond my personal understanding, but as you can see below, it does, and it doesn't work when it is.

Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #32
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Why in the heck quantize even defaults to having that box checked is beyond my personal understanding.
I figured it out at one point and discussed it but I can't remember what that was and/or if it was good or bad logic after I realized the reasoning; part of it made good sense but I forget the details. I'll check into it in the near future and update as to why that actually was.

Actually, I think it is for the ability to non-commit as you are testing out and it can't go to bypass until you quantize the first time which is what sets it. Will investigate but since I always use the dialog, the checkbox was always kind of staring me in the face.

Here it is, see the full thread since the details may help people reading this one...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=quantize

And specifically..

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...01&postcount=9

And Ollie's follow up. Assuming any of this is relevant to this thread, either way and for everyone else, knowing how it works is the first step in reducing frustration.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-08-2014 at 12:51 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #33
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I figured it out at one point
Not a big deal for me personally. I'm aware of it so I just uncheck it. No biggie.

For a new user having any dialog come up essentially in bypass mode may be a little confusing initially, but once you see what it does, no biggie.

From one of those links, a question you asked...

Quote:
Let's say you quantize a few midi notes, come back a few moments later and quantize a few more, then a few moments pass and you quantize a few more.

Now you decide you want to go back to the original unquantized state, what button would you press (other than undo) to get to that original state? Something has to keep up with those in order to guarantee nondestructiveness pre-commit and I don't see anything that does that. I'm not saying what you expect isn't perfectly valid, just that I can't prove via current functionality that Reaper has the means to do so.
In some places it's just a dedicated function like in S1, "Restore Timing". No matter what you've done to midi or audio it just restores the original timing of the selected notes or audio clips or whatever if you've quantized audio. If all editing is truly non-destructive you have to keep track of all that anyway, aside from undo, which is only linear.

I mean, for example, if you record notes in S1 with quantize on, quantize the notes as you record them, you can still restore the original timing, what you actually played, after the fact with that function.

Last edited by Lawrence; 12-08-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #34
karbomusic

Quote:
For a new user having any dialog come up essentially in bypass mode may be a little confusing initially, but once you see what it does, no biggie.
Yep, my understanding it doesn't come up until the first quantize action on that item occurs but yes I agree it can be confusing to the uninitiated.

Quote:
In some places it's just a dedicated function like in S1, "Restore Timing". No matter what you've done to midi or audio it just restores the timing of the selected notes or audio clips or whatever if you've quantized audio. If all editing is truly non-destructive you have to keep track of all that anyway, aside from simple undo.
Cool, I assume that is where the same idea above stopped in Reaper for now anyway.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #35
Lawrence

Yeah, it's pretty handy. It's a fully non-linear "undo" of just (all) quantize, Shift+Q there, like in the edit history below, it undos all four of those but it obviously doesn't undo the other stuff.

Anwyay, that's all off topic. Sorry.

Last edited by Lawrence; 12-08-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #36
memyselfandus

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty handy. It's a fully non-linear "undo" of just quantize, Shift+Q there, like in the edit history below, it undos all four of those but it obviously doesn't undo the other stuff.

Nice

memyselfandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #37
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Here it is, see the full thread since the details may help people reading this one...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...light=quantize

And specifically..

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...01&postcount=9

And Ollie's follow up. Assuming any of this is relevant to this thread, either way and for everyone else, knowing how it works is the first step in reducing frustration.
That thread gave me some insight indeed (also never used the commit button until now).
Thanks.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #38
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by memyselfandus View Post
Nice
Yeah. I'm gonna go off topic here again for a bit, sorry, but a guy like you who probably owns every daw on the planet can likely attest to this, why it becomes frustrating sometimes when you use more than one product, because you always see stuff like this below, both ways, that make you feel like in some areas companies pay great attention to detail and in some other cases they just mostly ignore it.

Like below. In Reaper's edit history what's clear when you look at the events where clips moved or were otherwise edited is that it doesn't tell you what moved or what was edited, only that something moved or was edited. In the S1 history you always know exactly what you're undoing by looking at the details, because the history has the name of the clips in it. Notice how the last line where I moved two clips has both of the clip names in it.

Reaper's edit history tells you none of that. All it tells you is that at X time, something (or multiple things?) moved, but what? It's maybe harder to make a really big (like 20 minutes ago) undo decision if you can't see that. You more kinda just do it and see what it was after you do it.

I see little housekeeping stuff like this all the time, which is why I have a firm belief that any developer not occasionally using other products just for that one reason, probably should be.

Because I'm a techie / nerd type who uses a few different products, I can't help always noticing that kinda "it's really obvious when you see it but nobody can think of everything" stuff.

Last edited by Lawrence; 12-08-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #39
gofer
-blänk-

Quote:
Why in the heck quantize even defaults to having that box checked is beyond my personal understanding, but as you can see below, it does, and it doesn't work when it is.
It does not default to be checked in a clean Reaper install. It doesn't in my everyday Reaper version either. Why it is checked in yours I don't understand.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #40
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
It does not default to be checked in a clean Reaper install. It doesn't in my everyday Reaper version either. Why it is checked in yours I don't understand.
Me either. See Karbo's post, apparently his was also.

Again, not a big deal by any stretch so no point in making a mountain out of that mole.