Old 04-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #41
Tony Ostinato
Human being with feelings

hi, for years and years ive been using nuendo on a laptop with windsynth live as a vsti rack.

heres how i have it setup and some explanations why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T29uWWjmCI

recently i had to install reaper to try out a vst plugin called midichords that because of nuendos routing limitations i wouldnt be able to use there to replace the nuendo/cubase only chorder plugin.

turned out midichords works so well and so much better than chorder that its forced me to change to reaper for playing live.

but as im duplicating the nuendo setup in the video on reaper and im getting up above 150 tracks im starting to get way to much cpu drain.

so i would also like this "smart solo" feature where any track you select is solod and all other tracks are muted EXCEPT the tracks that the selected track routes to or thru.

so for instance if i have a track called "aintno" and that sends to 3 other tracks which have midichord plugins and those tracks then send to the 3 vsti tracks clicking solo on the "aintno" track would solo all those tracks and mute all the others.

that would be great and make this really work nicely live.

for now im muting all the songs we hardly ever play and i might make macros to mute all the jazz songs after the jazz set is done , or all the country songs if its not that kind of gig, and all songs in alternate keys, stuff like that.

but the smart solo would be so much better and really maximize the ease and power.

thanks. im very very impressed with reaper and the developers.
Tony Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #42
Analogy

I think this comes back to "implement a proper control room bus that is not something that I had to manually hack in with stupid audio routing tricks."
Analogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 AM   #43
Tony Ostinato

im pretty sure it would make reaper the best daw for running a large live vsti setup.

i could record a demo of nuendo/chorder vs. reaper/midichords but everyone knows what voice stealing sounds like, happens in the former but not in the latter.

if anyone has any other hints on what im doing, which is running all vsti tracks and no audio tracks, basically turning it into a midi sound module, please help. i think ive disabled audio processing wherever i can but it seems to only way to get unused tracks to use no cpu at all is to mute them with the red M button light on.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #44
Tony Ostinato

heres some macros i made as a workaround for me for now.

i arrange my main and send tracks net to each other, theres 6 maximum for each song so my macro selects and unmutes 6 tracks at a time while muting all others

down arrow does this one:

track:mute all tracks
track: go to next track
track: mute/unmute tracks
track: go to previous track

the up arrow one pretty much just reverses that.

sadly it makes scrolling really slow but itll have to do. ill need to make individual macros to get to individual songs so that at least will be faster.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #45
himalaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodbeats View Post
yeah I know you can do that. but it's a bit of a hassle to do this whenever you want to solo one and then go back to the solo-selection and then solo another one and so on and so forth, so yeah solo super mode would be great
Basically what you want is a 'solo exclusive' which already exists in Reaper but only possible via a key modifier. It should be made possible to just have 'Solo Exclusive' as a default option for those who prefer it like that, and have 'accumulative' solo available via a key modifier.

I think I've expressed my interest in a solo exclusive as a default as that is what I require 99% of the time. Any workarounds with folders this or that completely miss the idea of using solo exclusive in the first place, which is: solo exlusive is a spontaneous, unplanned action and it should be possible to achieve without any fuss whatsoever, including key modifiers. I click on which ever track's solo in order to , ahem... solo it. Then I move on to another track which grabs my attention and solo that - killing the other solo'd tracks(s).

a Big +1000 from me for the FR.

BTW. For anyone who wonders why a 'solo exclusive' default behavior is so important to me: I need to be able to play with my left hand while soloing with the right using the mouse. I play one track, then I need to quickly compare and jump to another and solo that (muting the other). Having to lift the hand to do Ctrl+Alt to use the exlusive solo mode soon becomes annoying when I need to do this action, many, many times in succession.
himalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:18 AM   #46
gofer
-blänk-

Yep, Tony is talking about something completely different (yet as valid a request). It would be better to keep them separate.

I think hollywoodbeats wants just an action for solo exclusive, basically what would happen when you trigger
- unsolo all
- solo selected
, but without the audible artifacts the "unsolo all" step will produce.

Tony wants more of a "Mute all other tracks, but with respect to the send routing", or a "don't process tracks that aren't audible because other tracks are soloed" thing.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #47
Tony Ostinato

indeed, and thanks for the resonance!

i figure if theyre in programming to fix the one issue theyre right next to the code for my issue and maybe could do both at once.

but im not a programmer and i have have huge respect for those that are.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #48
BobM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodbeats View Post
Hi there,
I was wondering whether you could implement an actual solo button, that only solos the one track thats focused. the solo button within reaper doesnt actually solo anything, you can have multiple tracks in solo mode... it would be great to have an option to do both, soloing multiple tracks and then solo just the one thats focused. i think some of us might benefit from that as well...
Got to say that Reaper is the first software or hardware mixer that I've owned in 20 years that doesn't have an actual traditional solo button.

Ok, so I'm an old fa*t...
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #49
gofer
-blänk-

Actually, Logic's solo works just the same at least until 5.51 (I never tried newer versions). Modifiers a bit different, exclusive solo is ctrl+click. I don't find a key command for it as well, just the normal solo function (adding to already soloed channel objects) is assignable. Same with the few (non-fancy, mind, I always worked on the low budget side ) hardware mixers I used, I had to unsolo other channels by hand as far as I remember. But it's been a while...20 years is about right .

That's no excuse, of course, just saying .
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #50
Tony Ostinato

i'm still forging ahead, pretty much dome setting this up and now im just making more macros and testing.

couple more things that would make this easier:

itd be great if keycommands could select tracks greater than 99. i have almost 300 setup.

itd be great if every send on a channel could have its own dedicated vst inserts.

so instead of setting up 5 tracks with one main sending to 4 with their own midichorder and midipbcurve and those sending to the vsti's you could just have one track and put all the midichorders in the sends.

then i wouldnt care so much about the muting/unmuting because id only have to do one track at a time instead of 6 at a time which is how i have my track selector setup now.

despite that theres so much i love about reaper now i cant give up.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #51
Tony Ostinato

i did a gig with the above setup, went well but was slower than i can stand and used ram in such a way i had to use my windows7 laptop.

so i redid things by shaving those macros down to only unmute one track at a time and instead of running several midichords already setup for each song i made a bank with one for each vsti i use.

theyre setup to recieve program change and i put a plugin that sends the right program change when i hit one of the unused wx5 keys.

so i select the track for the song and hit that key and its set for harmonies and mappings.

now i only have one track per song and can scroll around pretty fast. lots fewer tracks used now.

then i started messing with assigning plugins to dedicated tasks and that used the ram so much better i have lots of leeway and it works great on my windows xp stage computer.

so, yeay, ive officially switched my live setup to reaper.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #52
Tony Ostinato

i talk about the fix i used to do this on my live reaper setup:

I took everything from my live Nuendo setup and transferred it to Reaper and expanded it quite a bit.

I've used this on hundreds of gigs now and it's been rock solid.

http://youtu.be/l5ar_3nGx2w

i don't have years and years of being used to reaper like i had with nuendo/cubase so maybe people have some suggestions?

i love reaper and the whole setup.