Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 11-30-2014, 01:16 AM   #1
diapason8421
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper and Hauptwerk, how can I keep Hauptwerk active

Hi all,
I am new to the forum, so forgive me if this question seems silly.
I run Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ ( https://www.hauptwerk.com/learn-more/overview/) on a stand-alone computer, and use Reaper to add some Convolutional Reverb to the 6 channels from a Hauptwerk VST link.

The problem is that I need the Hauptwerk screen active, with Reaper in the background. The Hauptwerk screen shows the pipe organ I have selected and active, however, when I bring it to the front, Hauptwerk goes dead. No sound. Switching back to Reaper produces a crash of 'stored-up' sounds, then all works as it should. But Reaper insists on being the active screen.

Is there any way that I can get Reaper to work with Hauptwerk on the screen, and Reaper minimised?

As background, I have had the system working as it should, but suffered a SSD crash. Since rebuilding the PC with a new SSD, re-installation of Hauptwerk and all the organs, then re-installing Reaper, I cannot get it to work as it did previously.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Best regards.
diapason8421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Hartley Mays

Default seen similar behavior here

Hello and welcome to the Reaper forums. Just like the Hauptwerk forums, you'll find them helpful and friendly.

I use Hauptwerk and Reaper also, and very recently noticed, for the first time, similar behavior to what you're describing. What Hauptwerk and Reaper releases are you using? I'm on the most current for both, and wonder if the problem (or different behavior anyway) was introduced recently.

Also, which of the configurations described in the manual are you using for the Hauptwerk VST? These alternatives were newly introduced in 4.1, and I wonder if this relates. I'd suggest opening a post on the Hauptwerk forum also. I haven't seen anything in the Reaper forums asking about similar problems with other plugins.

I'm planning to do some experimenting later today with the VST configurations ofr Hauptwerk with Reaper, and I'll post what I learn from it.

Later,
Hartley
Hartley Mays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
diapason8421

Hi Hartley,
Many thanks for your quick reply.

I have posted on Hauptwerk here:

http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13554

but have tried the suggestions, with no luck as yet. (Although I must admit that one or two are somewhat over my head!) As I mentioned on the Hauptwerk forum, I am definitely hardware orientated, software leaves me cold.

The versions of Hauptwerk and Reaper are the latest available. The set-up for both is the same as that used before the crash and rebuild. I am wondering if it might be a setting in Windows 7?

As far as I can tell, all of the Windows settings are bog standard, nothing should have been changed between rebuilds of the computer.

I am at a loss to explain the problem.

Cheers,
Barry
Old 11-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Hartley Mays

Default Back to HW forum

Hello again,

Is it possible that your problem coincided with the recent upgrade to 4.1.1 or the fairly recent 4.1? I think that mine might have, but I had gone several months without doing much with Hauptwerk because of personal and professional things going on.

I tested again tonight, and here's the variation I see: I set up an instance of ReaControlMidi in Reaper to log midi input. Then I make changes to the registration on an organ in Hauptwerk. Nothing shows up in the log until I reselect Reaper as the primary window, and then all the changes come at once.

Again, which of the options for configuring the VST link are you using? There are now three ways to do it described, and that's one reason I'm suspecting a change in Hauptwerk more than a change in Reaper at this point. I'm going to update your thread there with some of this information and questions.

Later,
Hartley
Old 12-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #5
diapason8421

Hi Hartley,

Will check the VST link setup tomorrow and let you know. Going out tonight
Cheers,
Barry
Old 12-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Hartley Mays

Default What is supposed to keep Reaper active?

Good evening,

I did more testing tonight including trying the second of the three vst configs. That didn't change anything, but then I realized I'd forgotten the critical step of starting the Reaper transport while changing HW stops with HW as the active Window. It now works fine with both VST configs.

So the question is, in your scenario, what do you have active in Reaper (recording, playback?) when using Hauptwerk? Your initial description below is a little bit confusing; I'm not sure it's worded completely accurately. Is it Hauptwerk or Reaper that seems to not be getting dispatched when you expect it?

Later,
Hartley
Old 12-02-2014, 12:50 AM   #7
diapason8421

Hello Hartley,
You have been busy!
I have not been able to get to the organ this afternoon, as the room is being used by others.

I am using a very simple setup in both Hauptwerk and Reaper. All I want Reaper for is to add some minor reverb to make several of my dry recorded organs come to life a bit in my music room, which is 'L' shaped, but about 10 metres long by about 8 metres wide, 2.4 metre ceiling and floor carpeted.

I am not interested in mixing or recording any music, just play for my own enjoyment. None of the tracks are 'armed'. It works fine.

In Reaper, track one is the VST link, with tracks 2-5 corresponding to the two Main, and two Solo channels. Am presently using the plug-in 'ReaVerbate' on each, as it is simple to use, versatile, and sounds fine to me.

For Hauptwerk, I have selected Hauptwerk VST link, and this has 4 channels active, two for Main and 2 for Solo (have temporarily disconnected the other two while testing. Hauptwerk also works fine.

The only problem I have is that I can't bring the Hauptwerk screen to the front to be able to see what Stops are active on a given piston during playing of the organ. Reaper insists on being the front, active acreen, or it stops working, with no sound output from the speakers.

Apologies, but I don't understand the three methods of setting up the Hauptwerk VST that you mentioned. I have followed the setup procedures in the Hauptwerk User Manual, pages 181 to 191 for version 4.1.1

If I had to guess, upgrading to the later Reaper may have been the start of this problem, but I can't be sure.

Cheers,
Barry
Old 12-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
Hartley Mays

Default more questions

Hi again,

The three options I'm referring to are the three variations for the VST link on p.184, p.189, p. 194 of the 4.1.1 guide. You're probably using the first of the three.

I'm still not clear on what's supposed to keep Reaper active. Can you start the transport and see if there's any difference in behavior? If that doesn't help, set it up to arm and record a track.

Another thing to check on based on the fact you had to re-install Reaper is the Plug-in preferences discussed on page 377 of the Reaper manual, and the options for running VSTs. When you had to reinstall Reaper, what did you do to guarantee these were all set as they had been?

Good Luck,
Hartley
Old 12-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
diapason8421

Hi Hartley,

I am using the Hauptwerk VST setup as described on page 184. All Hauptwerk settings were copied to a backup, and then to paper. I used the paper notes to set all global settings in Hauptwerk back to the 'pre-crash' situation.

For Reaper, again, I copied all relevant settings to paper notes, and used these to build the new installation. There are slight differences however.

My User Manual for Reaper Version 4.75 seems to refer to other options than you mentioned. I have never armed or recorded a track, as have never needed to before. Pistons and Stop changes still work within Hauptwerk, even when Reaper is on the screen and Hauptwerk in the background, the only thing not happening is.....no sound output. I guess I am only using about .01% of the full functionality of Reaper, and am not across the rest of it's settings and facilities, including recording and playback.

You must be finding it frustrating trying to help someone so completely amateur when it comes to Reaper! But your help is very much appreciated.

Very best regards,
Barry
Old 12-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
Hartley Mays

Default 379

OK, it's page 379 in the 3.75 User Guide, I was still using 3.73.

Can you save your .rpp Reaper project file to this thread so I can try it here?

If you never previously started the transport and it used to work, I think I'm equally or more confused why it used to work than why it doesn't work now. I don't have time tonight but will do more testing here tomorrow evening.

Later,
Hartley
Old 12-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
diapason8421

Hi Hartley,

Many thanks for your suggestions. When I get a chance today, will copy the .rpp file and send it to you. Not sure how large the file will be, may have to email it to you.

Cheers,
Barry
Old 12-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #12
diapason8421

Hi Hartley,
Have the .rpp file, and will try to attach to this post. Hope it works...

Cheers
Barry
Attached Files
File Type: rpp 29 Nov 2014 4 channel Mono plus Woofer.RPP (14.9 KB, 334 views)
Old 12-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Hartley Mays

Default Works here -> transport?

Barry,

Your project works fine here so long as I start the Reaper transport while I'm using Hauptwerk. I had asked earlier about arming and recording a track, but that isn't necessary. But it is necessary to have Reaper getting dispatched by Windows as well as Hauptwerk. I think that's what's happening when you click on Reaper to bring it to the foreground - that also forces it to get dispatched.

So please try that and and see what happens.

Later,
Hartley
Old 12-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
diapason8421

EUREKA!!!!!!

That's done it!
(ah sorry, I got carried away a bit there.....

Still don't understand the 'nuts and bolts' of this thing, but as long as it works I won't touch a thing! (particularly the bit about 'getting despatched'. As mentioned, I am no sound engineer..

Many thanks for your skill and considerable patience over the last week or so. It is very much appreciated. Shame you don't live closer, I would have a carton of your favourite drop delivered to your home.

Very best regards, and have a joyous Christmas,
Barry
Old 12-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #15
Hartley Mays

Default Good News

Barry,

I'm glad I could help.

Best Regards,
Hartley