Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 09-28-2018, 04:20 AM   #1
Jason Lyon
Human being with feelings

Default A completely unREAPER question

I apologise in advance, but this is a forum I respect and have found very helpful.

I'm setting up a cheap laptop for a learning disabled relative. She doesn't need much - internet access (cat videos and such), a few simple games, easy video play and very simple email access. She won't even need Libre.

Can anyone recommend a distro for this purpose? Lightweight, undemanding on system resources, but with possibilities for me to set up the GUI so it pretty much only has a handful of "buttons". But most importantly, something that will update only security patches and automatically without "borking". No need for "sudo apt" stuff or even point-and-click install managers.

What I really need is something I can strip down, make bombproof and use to effectively build a limited little user experience for someone with the understanding of a child.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give.
Jason Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:49 AM   #2
eric71

Depending on what games, the home edition of Cloudready may be a solution for what she needs - bascically making any old pc into a chromebook/chromebox. Limits what you can do with it, but it does allow installation of flatpaks which opens up some extra software possibilities.

https://www.neverware.com/freedownload
eric71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:06 AM   #3
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
Depending on what games, the home edition of Cloudready may be a solution for what she needs - bascically making any old pc into a chromebook/chromebox. Limits what you can do with it, but it does allow installation of flatpaks which opens up some extra software possibilities.

https://www.neverware.com/freedownload
Thanks Eric, I'll check it out in a VM. As to games - Solitaire and things like that, nothing fancy, no screaming polygons. And I'm a bit suspicious of Google, but who knows?

I'm idly considering developing, or at least bespoking a distro for people like her. Thinking of calling it either LDD (Learning Disabled Distro or Linux Doesn't Discriminate) or IDSY (I Don't See Why... disabled people should be excluded).

For charitable purposes, of course. Might start poking around some other, more specific, places to see if anyone else is into the idea. I'm guessing that Arch would be a good place to start building from scratch - but I'd need some help!
Old 09-28-2018, 07:15 AM   #4
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lyon View Post
I apologise in advance, but this is a forum I respect and have found very helpful.

I'm setting up a cheap laptop for a learning disabled relative. She doesn't need much - internet access (cat videos and such), a few simple games, easy video play and very simple email access. She won't even need Libre.

Can anyone recommend a distro for this purpose? Lightweight, undemanding on system resources, but with possibilities for me to set up the GUI so it pretty much only has a handful of "buttons". But most importantly, something that will update only security patches and automatically without "borking". No need for "sudo apt" stuff or even point-and-click install managers.

What I really need is something I can strip down, make bombproof and use to effectively build a limited little user experience for someone with the understanding of a child.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give.
I used Xubuntu on my i5 DAW, plus an old Core 2 Duo that is serving as a whole house DVR, and also on an old Atom based Asus netbook because of it's lighter weight.

It's xfce desktop is clean, easy to setup and not very memory or CPU intensive. It was recommended by the folks who created MythTV (my whole house DVR) for use on older hardware. I first set it up on my old Core 2 Duo for teevee stuff, but when it came time to do my DAW, I used it there too, and haven't regretted it yet, and I did try Ubuntu, Manjaro, Arch, AVLinux, and a few others before deciding to just use the same distro as I had on the DVR machine.

Not really running it for the lighter weight requirements on my DAW, but because I just like the way it works. With Synaptic, I was able to install almost every app I use, and hardly ever have to hit a terminal and type in cryptic commands that I have no idea what the function of are.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Tyrannocaster

I really like Linux Lite (it's Ubuntu based and works very well on older machines; its target audience is people coming from Windows, but that's not why I like it - it's just comparatively simple and easy to use), as these things go. But maybe any Linux distro would be too complex for what you want. I suspect any of them would require that you personally set everything up for her, which is probably doable, but then you'll have to help her out quite a bit.
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
Jae.Thomas

people who ask such questions should be banned.

Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
grinder

Keep asking, Reaper forum is the best forum for a reason.
People needing a disability question answered should be honoured with open arms and minds.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #8
Jae.Thomas

yeah, super glad here for the folks in this forum. Always. this thread is proof.
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
Jason Lyon

Thank you everyone for your suggestions (and Jason for your sarcasm - careful with online sarcasm btw - I know from experience that you're cool, but some don't and maybe won't).

I don't think she actually needs a laptop at all really, but I want her to have internet access, a couple of games and the possibility to learn as much as she's able - but securely. And she lives two counties away - I can't just swing by and do do that sudo voodoo that we do.

Last edited by Jason Lyon; 10-01-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:38 AM   #10
Snap

Maybe this helps

https://opensource.com/life/15/8/acc...blind-disabled

https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-accessibility/
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:35 AM   #11
Jason Lyon

Thanks. I've got a cheap i3 on order and in the meantime, I'll tinker with the Debian solution in a VM. Looks promising.

Reckon I'll first see how far I can get with the pre-installed W10 re customisation, parental controls and such, then try a dual boot and bespoke the bejasus out of the be-thing. If it works out better, I'll set that as the default boot partition.

Any Linux hard nuts out there - be reasonable. I need the best solution that works, and I also need a fallback option. I'm not an OS warrior!
Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #12
Snap

Quote:
Any Linux hard nuts out there - be reasonable. I need the best solution that works, and I also need a fallback option. I'm not an OS warrior!
Hey, Jason. Maybe your are not addressing your questions to the best Linux (sub)forum for your goals. We are only a very small enthusiasts group here wanting to use a pre-release sort of beta software (though already darn good, I must say). And from what I can see, a good part of the gang are newcomers to Linux.

Though totally willing to help here, I think you will probably get more and better help and guidance in the big distros or general purpose Linux forums. You surely find folks fully knowing about accessibility on Linux.

Last edited by Snap; 10-02-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:28 AM   #13
Jason Lyon

Completely understood Snap, just wondered if anyone had any thoughts. Actually, the Debian distro you pointed to has been of help. I was focused on simplicity and hadn't considered searching under accessibility.

As to Linux REAPER - I keep an eye on it, but I just can't risk it yet. My tinkering experience with it gives me the impression that as betas go, it's still got quite some way to go. As I implied upthread, I'm a pragmatist and W10 (with update settings tamed) is fine and fully functional. And there are other programs I need to use that won't work properly or at all in Linux.

So maybe one day, but not yet. For low-latency work, neither comp layer nor VM is ideal. For now, I keep a couple of pet penguins in my virtual zoo, visit them often and keep them fed and healthy.

Last edited by Jason Lyon; 10-06-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:00 PM   #14
Snap

Yes, Linux Reaper has walked a huge way in just a few months (kudos to Justin and team), but yeah, it's still experimental. Once released and getting LV2 support implemented it will be a game changer.

One of the main problems in the Linux Audio department is the lack of man power. The usual enthusiast "I code when I can" developers Vs full-time paid developers situation. Besides ALSA is not amongst the best things under the sun, it does the job fair enough. And native Reaper for Linux, besides being proprietary software (something that may raise blisters on many Linux users skins), it's an state of the art product that will push "doing audio in Linux" a few notches higher on its own.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:52 PM   #15
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
Reaper for Linux, besides being proprietary software (something that may raise blisters on many Linux users skins)
You got that right. Jeeze, there are some toxic people in the Linux world, and that's one button they really complain about if it gets pushed...or even looked at.
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:01 AM   #16
Jason Lyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannocaster View Post
You got that right. Jeeze, there are some toxic people in the Linux world, and that's one button they really complain about if it gets pushed...or even looked at.
The thing that amuses me most is that, leaving aside the "Never Windows" crowd, some people are so tribal about distros. For me, the whole point of Linux is flexibility. That's why I run two in parallel - one may go down a development route I don't like or throw up system problems. And anyway, why bet it all on one horse - especially in a race without a finish line?

A more general thing is that some people are such stubborn diehard OS warriors. The heritage of Linux is C and UNIX, where two of the golden rules are don't reinvent the wheel and use what works best. I speak as an old git from the original K&R days.

In the end btw, I was really pressed for time so I brutally stripped down a W10 installation for her. The main trick was to disable updates completely (so no borking possible) and install free malware protection. It is what it is now - the very basic, reliable and reasonably secure system she needs to play simple games, look at pictures, watch DVDs and occasionally look something up online.

I've got used to luxury, so working with an i3, 4GB RAM and a spinner was frustrating. But decrapping the crap out of W10 has made a big difference...
Old 10-31-2018, 08:45 PM   #17
s wave

Default WHY not use a popular distro like linux mint cinnamon 19?

For some one disabled there are quite a few major distros... where you can enlarge icons \ change desktop environment etc... or even use touch screen or even a vitual keyboard on screen... you could set it up as a Guest user and you as Administrator... I usually go with Firefox switching to DUCKDUCKGO as default browser... I am a Mint fan and have used it since Mint 9. The plus is - I have always switched off the PSU power to shut down the PC = It hasn't failed me since MINT 9 through todays MINT 19. ALSO I would just have suggested updates: set for 'Don't Hurt My Computer' and get rid of that update Icon on main screen. I Would not even have 'update' enabled at all... I do not think its needed. I have installed quite a few Mint os systems for old WINDOWS non tech users and none have had any problems... [If it is a laptop pre-installed win 8 pc - I just wipe out all win bios uefi or programs or other... even install a different $5 Hard drive from craigslist.}

There are something like 50000+ free programs in mint repository - I find it more stable than ubuntu. If the program is in the mint available free software manager it is good. (no terminal commands needed) just hit install. gl bless
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:48 AM   #18
Jason Lyon

Thanks for that Colorado.
I'm a fan of Mint myself, although I also run Ubuntu on the side - distros change direction over time and it's good to keep up with developments with more than one.