Old 01-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
Triode
Human being with feelings

Default Bad sound from imported video files

I'm having problems playing back the sound from video files. When I drag a .mov file in (on mac) reaper will play the video via VLC. This is varifiable in the preferences. VLC 2.0 is loaded.

If I copy the item to a new track and render the item as audio the new file has the same audible artifacts. - It sounds badly bit reduced and full of clipping sounds and kind of out of tune.

If I open the video file outside of reaper in an instance of VLC it plays perfectly.

This has only started happening since I upgraded my hard drive to SSD. I figured out I needed another old version of VLC on this new drive along with reaper and the only version that would play the video at all was the copy on of VLC my old drive which I just dragged across.

I'm on mac snow leopard, reaper 5.311 (32 bit) VLC 2.0.4 (32 bit)

Has anyone any idea what's not working?
Old 01-04-2017, 12:06 AM   #2
insub

I'm having trouble following your description of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
If I copy the item to a new track and render the item as audio the new file has the same audible artifacts. - It sounds badly bit reduced and full of clipping sounds and kind of out of tune.
Is the rendered file audio only, or still a video item? This sounds to me like some discrepancy between your project samplerate and the video's audio samplerate and/or the Playback Resample Mode in Project Settings can affect the resampling quality of actions like Gluing audio. So, that may be the source of your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
If I open the video file outside of reaper in an instance of VLC it plays perfectly.
Which file are you referring to here? The original, the copied render, or the render of the project with/without the copied render?
insub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:55 AM   #3
Triode

Thanks for your reply Insub.

The primary problem is with the sound from any imported video file.

I was trying rendering a copy of a section of the audio to diagnose if it was a realtime playback problem or a problem with how the audio part gets imported.
The section that I rendered I did by gluing audio. I was working at the same sample rate as the audio in the video file (48K) and the file I created was an audio file.

I tried playing the original video file back in VLC and it works fine both the picture and the sound. In reaper, only the picture is working.

Thanks for your time
Old 01-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #4
insub

You're welcome. I'm new to using video as well, but I'll try to work through this with you as best i can until someone more knowledgeable steps in.

Which file types are you using and with what audio codecs?
Have you tried converting the video files to another format (container/codecs) prior to importing to see if that helps?

Gluing definitely relies on the Playback Resample Mode in Project Settings and can have a great affect on the quality of the glued file.

If you didn't render a new video file incorporating the glued files then playback of the original should be the same as before you loaded it into Reaper since Reaper seems to be trying to keep the video editing non-destructive just like audio editing is.

The files I've been trying to work with will play fine in VLC, but they will not import into Reaper at all. Some of the conversions I tried would get the audio only but not the video. I've switched to using HandBrake to convert the files to another container/codec combination prior to importing into Reaper and that seems to have solved the problem I was having, but the settings I used are not providing the quality I was looking for. So, I'm still trying to find the right conversion settings to get the result I'm after. You could also try converting from within VLC using the Media > Convert / Save... command. The options and capabilities of conversion are not as robust as HandBrake's though.

Good luck!
insub is offline   Reply With Quote