Old 11-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #1
alanofoz
Human being with feelings

Default iPhone/iPad owners - here's a couple of "controllers" for you

Introducing iReaPhone, a remote controller for Reaper. This works whenever you are within Wifi range of your network.

iReaPhone is written in AutoHotkey and runs on your iPhone using Air Display from http://avatron.com/apps/air-display and provides a one-track-at-a-time control surface. It reads Reaper's project file (.rpp) and then displays the relevant values. iReaPhone and iReaPad (coming soon) have rendered my Frontier Tranzport obsolete. As a result of the soon-to-be-presented iReaPad (and AC-7 Core, but that's another story) my BCF2000 is also put away in a cupboard in my garage.

To get started fire up Air Display and iReaPhone, then drag a .rpp file to anywhere on the iReaPhone window.
Note that you may first need to open iReaPhone.ini in a text editor and change the path in the [ReaperLocation] section to your path.

iReaPhone provides functions via a tabbed interface. The Trans(port) tab provides volume and pan sliders with "nudge" buttons. Mute, solo, arm, freeze, phase and FX bypass buttons are provided and operate on the selected track (which may be the master track). Also included are master mode (mono/stereo) and master FX bypass buttons. In addition, transport controls are included in this tab.

The Close button tells Reaper to save the current project and exit. iReaPhone also closes. The current project path\filename is saved in iReaPhone.ini which will be read next time iReaPhone is run.

The View Mixer button toggles Reaper's mixer panel on/off.

Zoom To Project should be self-explanatory.

Sync With Reaper tells Reaper to save the current project. iReaPhone then reads the project file and updates its display accordingly. This action may be necessary if you bypass iReaPhone to directly change anything in Reaper.

The File/Edit and View/Man(age) tabs provide buttons which can save you navigating menus or remembering shortcuts. The Sel(ect) tab allows you to select tracks, including the master track.

In the animation shown above all the mouse gestures are really fingertip gestures on the iPhone's touch sensitive screen.

The animation starts in the Trans(port) tab with the volume of track 2 being adjusted, first with the slider, then with the '+' nudge control. Observe the value being displayed at this time. Similarly then for pan. Mute etc. are then controlled; observe how the display changes. Finally in this tab, the next track is selected.

Then follows a brief look at the buttons provided in the File/Edit and View/Man(age) tabs. In the Sel(ect) tab track 4 is selected.

Back to the Trans(port) tab showing that track 4 is indeed selected. A few seconds is then played using the Play/Pause button. At this time watch the Big Clock in the top right-hand corner. This is simply Reaper's Big Clock, reduced in size and moved to the iPhone screen. This seems like a Good Idea.

The attached zip file contains the AutoHotkey script, an icon, iReaPad.ini and a "compiled" version of the application.

Note that I am not presenting a completed application, just an idea. I expect that with use I'll keep changing it. I have included the AutoHotkey script so that anyone who uses it may modify it for their own purposes.

Note the display arrangement shown below, especially the x and y values, in my case -1600 and 1024. These values are included in iReaPhone.ini and will need to be changed to suit your own display arrangement.

It's not perfect, has its limitations, but give it a try - see what you think.

Coming soon - iReaPad with multiple volume faders...
Attached Images
File Type: png DisplayArrangement.png (31.3 KB, 2593 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip iReaPhone.zip (217.6 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by alanofoz; 06-30-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Slightly revised version
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #2
alanofoz

Hmmm... no interest. In that case I'll just post screenshots from the iPad version, iReaPad.

Must be just me, but I find this extremely useful...

Obviously the Mixer 17-32 tab is a whole lot like the Mixer 1-16 tab.

Last edited by alanofoz; 04-28-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Images changed
Old 11-30-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
ReaDave

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Alan, I'm certainly interested in this. I am currently using AC-7 on my iPhone 3G (iOS 4.2.1) which works really well but I really like the implementation of REAPER specific functions you're showing here.

Would this run on my ageing iPhone 3G?

BTW - I notice you're originally from Geelong. This may be a long shot but you didn't happen to have anything to do with dB Concert Sound by any chance did you?
ReaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
JBradley

This looks really cool and I would certainly try it out. I am also using AC-7 but on my ipad. It is pretty slick.
JBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Sumalc

Yes very interesting, thank you.
Sumalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
martygras

Alan, this looks great.
I have both iphone and ipad, but would prefer to use ipad for control.

Can't wait to try it.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
alanofoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannii View Post
Alan, I'm certainly interested in this. I am currently using AC-7 on my iPhone 3G (iOS 4.2.1) which works really well but I really like the implementation of REAPER specific functions you're showing here.
It certainly is Reaper specific, and easily changed to suit individual users. Later this morning I'll post more details about this.

Quote:
Would this run on my ageing iPhone 3G?
If Air Display works on iOS 4.2.1 I think it should. I'm currently on 4.3.1. I couldn't find anything on the Avatron web site re iOS versions; I imagine that if you go to the App store from your phone you'll find the answer.

Quote:
BTW - I notice you're originally from Geelong. This may be a long shot but you didn't happen to have anything to do with dB Concert Sound by any chance did you?
Sorry, that was a long shot. I moved from Geelong to Adelaide in 1965 after graduating in Electrical Engineering. Still a happy Cats supporter though

Totally OT, after a couple of years in Adelaide I moved to Sydney, a few more years and I crossed paths with Geoff Francis (aka nicholas) quite often before he moved to Tassie. Now crossing cyber paths on this forum. Small world!

Still get back to Geelong a few times a year, Mum still lives in Belmont & needs regular visits from offspring in 3 different states!

Last edited by alanofoz; 11-30-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
alanofoz

Later today I'll be posting more details on setting up, as well as posting a zip file for iReaPad.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
alanofoz

Most of the interface from iReaPad/iReaPhone is done via shortcuts to Reaper's actions, many of them being SWS extensions. Some are via the SWS ReaConsole.

The shortcuts must be defined in Reaper's Actions list. I have attached the full list of the actions I have used, many of them defined just for these apps. The shortcuts chosen often have no logical resemblance to the action, but that's OK because you don't need to remember them. The list includes many of the standard shortcuts.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Actions.txt (7.5 KB, 148 views)