Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
ChaseEversole
Human being with feelings

Default Mic-->Mic Pre-->??

I am a bit confused, I have been recording music the newer modern way for about 8 months now. (Microphone into interface into DAW) But how do you connect a Mic pre into this chain, such as an API 3124, do you connect it to your interface? Looking to eventually go a different route for recording, as well as being informed in other ways of doing things.
ChaseEversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
d.bop

Mic -> Pre -> line-in on your interface.

Your interface already has preamps, but you'll be bypassing them by using the line-in jacks. If you want to get rid of the interface you have now, you'll need an A/D converter, which is basically the way your current interface would be functioning with external pre's anyway.

That's how I've come to understand it anyway.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
ChaseEversole

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.bop View Post
Mic -> Pre -> line-in on your interface.

Your interface already has preamps, but you'll be bypassing them by using the line-in jacks. If you want to get rid of the interface you have now, you'll need an A/D converter, which is basically the way your current interface would be functioning with external pre's anyway.

That's how I've come to understand it anyway.
With doing this, there is no way to use the individual pre's as an input for a single track only is there? As in, say we have a Pre with 8 mic ins, and we run that into an interface, since the pre is just a pre, it cannot send a single signal from "mic pre A" to "track A" and "mic pre B" to "track B" in your DAW so to speak. It will only combine all of the pres on one track, correct?
ChaseEversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseEversole View Post
With doing this, there is no way to use the individual pre's as an input for a single track only is there? As in, say we have a Pre with 8 mic ins, and we run that into an interface, since the pre is just a pre, it cannot send a single signal from "mic pre A" to "track A" and "mic pre B" to "track B" in your DAW so to speak. It will only combine all of the pres on one track, correct?
If the 8-Ins pre has 8-Outs and the interface has 8 line Ins your in business. For example, the 4 pres in my FF800 also have a separate line in allowing me to use external pres for those 4 channels if needed. Also, some interfaces with built-in pres use a Neutrik connector and when using a 1/4" cable instead of a mic cable it is effectively a line in. Depends on the unit.

Karbo
Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseEversole View Post
I am a bit confused, I have been recording music the newer modern way for about 8 months now. (Microphone into interface into DAW) But how do you connect a Mic pre into this chain, such as an API 3124, do you connect it to your interface? Looking to eventually go a different route for recording, as well as being informed in other ways of doing things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
If the 8-Ins pre has 8-Outs and the interface has 8 line Ins your in business. For example, the 4 pres in my FF800 also have a separate line in allowing me to use external pres for those 4 channels if needed. Also, some interfaces with built-in pres use a Neutrik connector and when using a 1/4" cable instead of a mic cable it is effectively a line in. Depends on the unit.

Karbo
Humm, I don't know what a "API 3124" is (Tube Preamp maybe), but if it don't have A-to-D converters you'll have to go through converters somewhere along the line.

Heh heh, maybe I'm reading something wrong here.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Humm, I don't know what a "API 3124" is (Tube Preamp maybe), but if it don't have A-to-D converters you'll have to go through converters somewhere along the line.

Heh heh, maybe I'm reading something wrong here.
API 3124 = $2900.00 really nice quad mic preamp.

I think he is saying that he would like to use that in front of his existing interface (ADC is in the interface). To do this he needs four separate line outs on the back of the pre and 4 line ins on the interface so he can have 4 separate simultanous tracks to record to in Reaper. If he doesn't have the equivalent of "line ins" on the interface, he'd be running a pre into a pre...

@Chase:

IMHO, really nice preamps are a lifetime purchase and usually worth every single penny. If I had to name items that were worthwhile when recording, I'd place preamps very high in the list and many, many notches above other stuff like expensive plugins for example. There is nothing better than getting it right at the source, period. Not to mention, the better the "source to tape" path the less need for corrective plugins across the board. Trust me on this one..

High-end pre's come in a few flavors. Transparent, slightly colored and heavily colored and about character depending on gain settings. So take this into account if you ever decide to get one/some. Now I won't enter a debate about where the price point switches from worthhile to audiophile ridiculous but at least in this area, the higher price tends to be due to high quality parts, attention to detail and build & sonic quality. IE: tangible benefits. Like anything though, one could go crazy here (think botique/audiophile) but outside of that there is something to be said for choosing great pre's over something else further down the chain. Many times good preamps are responsible for "that sound" that everyone spends months in a DAW with plugins trying to recreate but can't seem to quite pull it off.

Karbo

Last edited by karbomusic; 03-03-2010 at 09:22 PM.
karbomusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
sweetbutt

a doubt.

I've recently purchased my first "standalone" preamp (Audient Mico) so I'm quite new to this

I'm delivering the outputs of the mico inside my firestudio via XLR cables

are the FS pres still "on" ? (its knobs are down to 0)

or do I need to use the line ins to disable them effectively?

(fs hosts neutrik combo ins both XLR and 1/4" jack combined)

mm..
sweetbutt is offline   Reply With Quote