Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
alogie
Human being with feelings

Default Send sysex when project tab is selected.

I know that I can send midi data when a project is loaded, and/or when the the transport starts using a JS plugin, but is there a way to send the same data when the project tab is selected?

The reason I want to do this is, I load all my songs for a set into separate tabs in Reaper. Right now when I can switch between tabs using my midi controller, but in order to set everything up for the song, I need to start the sequencer to send the sysex and other control messages. If that midi data could be sent when the project tab is selected, I could have everything set to go just by pressing one button.

Is this possible?
alogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
gofer
-blänk-

That sure seems the right thing to do, at least with sysex, CC, Bank/Program messages that are set in ReaControlMIDI. But as I can see it doesn't.
I looked around a bit, but couldn't find a setting or at least an action (so you could hit some key or button after tab-change manually) to provide sending initial MIDI messages, sorry.

Maybe someone else knows more about it?
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
alogie

I've not been able to test this yet, but I think I might be able to make it work in the following way.

I already have a single measure at the start of the song which included the sysex and the song select message.

At 2:1:0 I insert a marker and enter the name as !1008. The SWS Extensions allow markers to carry out actions, in this case pause.

I set my Next Song and Prev Song buttons on my MIDI controller to trigger a macro which selects the next or previous project tab and starts the transport.

That way when I select the next project tab, it will start the transport, play the first measure which will send the sysex, and then pause until I hit play to start the song....

I'll post back if I have any issues.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Oooh, that's clever! Thumbs up.
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
alogie

Well, in practice, things turned out to be a little bit more complicated. The final solution involved:

Prev Song/Next Song buttons on my midi controller:
These ended up being assigned to a custom action which included:
Next Project Tab (or Previous Project Tab)
Transport: Go to start of project (just in case..)
Transport: Play

Then I ended up with two markers:

Marker 1:
Name: !1008 40162 (pause and then go to marker 2)
Location: 1.1.58 (if I tried to put it too close to the end of my "setup" measure, it wouldn't actually pause until some time in the second measure)

Marker 2:
Location: 1.1.99 (I originaly had it set to 2.1.0 but that was triggering the first MIDI note in the measure).

I was able to use the SWS extensions to copy the markers to the clipboard which made it very quick to add the markers to all my other songs.

It seems to be working pretty well.