Old 03-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
mojotele65
Human being with feelings

Default Project Organization

My band is getting ready to start recording our latest CD. This will be the 1st time doing the entire project in Reaper. We have used Reaper to a little 4 song promo and clean up live recordings from my Zoom H2.

Do any of you have tips for good organization for doing a full blown project? I am think about file structure and so on just to make backups and so on easier and more productive.
We will be doing indvidual tracking and I want to make the time in the studio flow best I can.

Any other tips would be greatly appriciated as well.

Mojotele65
www.bigbosstwang.com
mojotele65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
nofish

This might be helpful if you decide to record each song in a seperate project:

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...&postcount=115

(copy mixer settings between projects)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Analogy

What I do is I have my media hard drive D:\, subdirectory Audio, a subdirectory for the client, a subdirectory for the major project (album or whatever), then individual subdirectories for each individual song. So the band Stellar Vector for whom I am mixing their album A Flock Of Cowards, has a song titled February 14th, that project would be under D:\Audio\Stellar Vector\AFOC\Feb14\Feb14.rpp

Works pretty well for me.

Within the project itself, I use folders all over the place for organization and audio bussing (most extreme example: Guitars->KevinGtr->Rhythm/Solo->PR40/e609 {two mics on the cab, blended for the right sound}->Double1/2, no doubles for the solo, I just split that out because I change so many things when the solo kicks in I'd rather just use a separate track)
Analogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
mojotele65

Default Thanks

Nofish: the Snapshot feature looks cool. I hadn't seen that before. I am still amazed at the things Reaper can do.

Analogy: I think i will have a seperate project for each song. I have created a project template for the band to keep things consistant. Your file structure was what I was thinking.

D:\Audio\Stellar Vector\AFOC\Feb14\Feb14.rpp

Thanks for the tips and validation.
mojotele65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
Analogy

Oh, one other thing, I render my mixdowns to the d:\Audio\Stellar Vector\AFOC\ directory, and also have a "skeleton" project in that directory with all my tracks and sends set up and overall levels roughly set for when I start on a new song.

I also have a subversion repository. Every once in a while I will "commit" my latest project data to the repository, which keeps an archive of all past changes. If I want to revert to the version of the project from a week ago, I can.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:08 AM   #6
nofish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogy View Post
I also have a subversion repository. Every once in a while I will "commit" my latest project data to the repository, which keeps an archive of all past changes. If I want to revert to the version of the project from a week ago, I can.
A bit off topic but a question regarding subversion:

I once looked into that program also for keeping track of my projects, but it seemed a bit over my head at first.
One thing I didn't understand and which kept me from trying it out:
Do you need a server and dedicated webspace to run it (which I haven't) or can I do the same just using my own computer ?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
Analogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
I once looked into that program also for keeping track of my projects, but it seemed a bit over my head at first.
One thing I didn't understand and which kept me from trying it out:
Do you need a server and dedicated webspace to run it (which I haven't) or can I do the same just using my own computer ?
TortoiseCVS will let you do this under Windows.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
technogremlin

You can also combine backup with versions: I use Areca (open source free software). Set it up to do an initial full backup of your project and backup deltas from there on. Also minimizes backup time and space as it only saves changed/new files in the deltas.

http://www.areca-backup.org/
technogremlin is offline   Reply With Quote