Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-27-2020, 10:07 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default How to deal with tail of a vocal waveform item

I am a singer. I am recording the song "Impossible Dream' from Man of La Mancha.

The issue is at the very end of the song.

The phrase is: "To reach (held longer) the unreachable" (break) "Star" (Note held out longer)

First, what makes this harder is that I am singing to pre-recorded music, so, unlike a live performance where the band or orchestra is following the singer, I have to follow the music. So, getting the timing of the silent breaks between phrases can be a real challenge.

So, right or wrong, here is what I did. At the break of the very last note which is the word star, I just split the track item into 2 items, isolating one item as just the waveform of that last note. I then adjusted it to line up with the music.

My problem, however, is that now the tail of the last note is now too long and I simply need to shorten that track item of that last note so that the tail ends when the song ends.

I'll bet that with everything Reaper can do that there is some trick that is hopefully not too hard to be able to fix this.

I would be grateful if someone can tell me something about whatever it is that I need to do to fix this.

With Gratitude,

Steven
Under 'Stay at Home Orders" in Berkeley, CA USA
Old 03-28-2020, 10:29 AM   #2
Mikethebass

Hi,

If I'm understanding you correctly the audio for Star is a separate item to everything else?

If so then just move to the end of this item ALt and right click the normal symbol will be replaced by a hand and you can move the end of your audio.

Hope that makes sense.
Mikethebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
nofish

Maybe you could put in project markers as hints where the relevant parts are and have an eye on it while recording? (if that's possible)
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
sjs94704

Works great! Thanks so much. I got the note to end right where it is supposed to on the first try!

You see! I knew there was a way to do this! I'm glad I know this now. It has been a source of frustration and re-recording vocals to get the timing right! But, hey! We all gotta learn sometime, right?

Thanks again! This will be such a HUGE time saver for me cuz I've been satisfied with how my vocals have sounded, but, as mentioned, since I am singing to pre-recorded music my only issue has been timing between breaks!

I only wish I had asked about this one a long time ago!

Thanks again!

-Steven