Old 02-13-2020, 01:42 PM   #1
earlybird
Human being with feelings

Default Dell Optiplex 3020 - good for Reaper?

Hi there,

I'm trying to find a computer and interface to run Reaper. A local shop has a Dell Optiplex 3020 for £250 with the following:
8GB DDR3
Quadcore Gigahertz i5 processor
240GB solid state drive
2 x USB 3
6 x USB 2

I know absolutely nothing about computers (sorry!). So, can anyone tell me whether this will be suitable for running Reaper with a two input interface like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2? Thank you.
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
toleolu

I run Reaper on an i5 desktop with 8gb of RAM, works fine for me, but my projects are pretty small, 12 to 15 tracks at most I use a USB interface as well, but only two inputs.

I also tend to not use a lot of plugins and effects on my tracks.

If this laptop has all the stuff Dell typically puts on their computers, what's typically called bloatware, you might check with this shop to see what they would charge you to wipe all of that and do a clean install of Windows 10.

Last edited by toleolu; 02-13-2020 at 02:32 PM.
toleolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #3
rncwalker

Toleolu,

Do a search on line to see what the price is used,It's and Old PC but it should work fine if you do not have Large projects.

Also Check "Newegg" and other online shops as well.

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
billybuck

Funny--as the IT guy at work, my recent Windows 10 upgrade/replacement project just freed up about 12 Optiplex 3020's, and I was thinking the same thing, that one might make a good replacement for the aging Latitude laptop I currently use for Reaper in my small basement studio.

Apparently, the CPU can be upgraded to a fairly zippy i7 (9660, I think? About $100, used) but 8 Gb of RAM is the max. I thought about changing out the primary drive to an SSD, rolling it up to Win 10 and then stripping out every bit of software not critical to the OS, as well as disabling unneeded services, etc. I've got some experience there, as the first thing I do with every new Dell I buy for the company is remove all of the bloatware except the utility that allows you to do a factory restore from the recovery partition.

I'm curious as to how a streamlined Optiplex will perform with roughly 9 audio tracks and one resource-hoggish Arturia Analog Lab VSTi in real-time live recording at 16/44.
billybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:48 PM   #5
earlybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
I run Reaper on an i5 desktop with 8gb of RAM, works fine for me, but my projects are pretty small, 12 to 15 tracks at most I use a USB interface as well, but only two inputs.

I also tend to not use a lot of plugins and effects on my tracks.

If this laptop has all the stuff Dell typically puts on their computers, what's typically called bloatware, you might check with this shop to see what they would charge you to wipe all of that and do a clean install of Windows 10.
Thanks. That's great to know. Can I ask....what interface do you use? I'm thinking for going for the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. It's two inputs, which is fine, as I'll mostly be recording vocals and guitar. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:52 PM   #6
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
Thanks. That's great to know. Can I ask....what interface do you use? I'm thinking for going for the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. It's two inputs, which is fine, as I'll mostly be recording vocals and guitar. Thanks.
I use a Presonus Studio 26c, but that Focusrite you mentioned should work fine. I see lots of people here using those.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #7
billybuck

Quote:
A caution: Focusrite 2i2's have well-documented problems when plugged into USB 3.0 ports, so since the Optiplex you mentioned has both USB 2 and 3 available. make sure you're using the right one
Old 02-16-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
earlybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybuck View Post
A caution: Focusrite 2i2's have well-documented problems when plugged into USB 3.0 ports, so since the Optiplex you mentioned has both USB 2 and 3 available. make sure you're using the right one
Thank you. That's good to know. I'm undecided on the Optiplex as I'm wondering whether 16 GB Ram might be better. I know very little about computers and the research I'm doing online is sending me in circles trying to match a DAW with an interface and a computer. Is there a recommended requirements list for Reaper? I couldn't see one on the downloads page?
Old 02-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #9
earlybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
I use a Presonus Studio 26c, but that Focusrite you mentioned should work fine. I see lots of people here using those.
Thanks. That's great. The Presonus Studio 26c and the Focusrite 2i2 are a similar price here, so I appreciate the recommendation. I just need to work out what my computer requirements are to run Reaper before purchasing a computer. If you have any advice, I'd be most grateful. Thank you.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:01 PM   #10
billybuck

Quote:
Thank you. That's good to know. I'm undecided on the Optiplex as I'm wondering whether 16 GB Ram might be better. I know very little about computers and the research I'm doing online is sending me in circles trying to match a DAW with an interface and a computer. Is there a recommended requirements list for Reaper? I couldn't see one on the downloads page?
I think the Optiplex 3020's (at least the ones I have, with the small form-factor cases) max out at 8 Gb of RAM
Old 02-16-2020, 11:09 PM   #11
toleolu

Quote:
Thanks. That's great. The Presonus Studio 26c and the Focusrite 2i2 are a similar price here, so I appreciate the recommendation. I just need to work out what my computer requirements are to run Reaper before purchasing a computer. If you have any advice, I'd be most grateful. Thank you.
The best advice I can give you is, as best as you can, post something about how you plan on using Reaper. Don't get all caught up in all the technical computer stuff, just stay focused on what you're trying to do.

If you're projects are fairly small, like mine, you don't need a whole lot of computer horsepower. Good microphones, interfaces, and speakers are going to give you a bigger bang for your buck than computer hardware will.

The only other advice I can give you is keep things simple. You're going to have a basic computer 101 learning curve anyway, just don't prolong that with a lot of overly complicated hardware and software. Get the basics down, file management, backup, that kind of stuff, and don't worry too much about all the bells and whistles for now. Spend your time making and recording music instead of dinking around with computer stuff.

A computer is like your car, you don't need to know the intricacies of the internal combustion engine in order to get to the store and back. Just need to make sure the trunk is big enough for all the groceries.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:22 PM   #12
rncwalker

Check for a used Dell PC online with more memory options and also M3 SSD.

I'v got a Dell i5 3+gighz with 20gig of ram (Can goto 32gig)
the ability to have 3 HD or SSD drives (1 M3 and two SATA, also a DVD.
the M3 by the way would give you a faster PC than Sata.

A Dell OptiPlex 7040 is the above specs.

Below is a few links to some PC's

https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-0001-2G...quicklink=true

[url]https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-7040/p/N82E16883995137?Description=dell optiplex 7040&cm_re=dell_optiplex_7040-_-9SIAKWUAS69246-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex...69H4-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex...5XA9-_-Product

Robert
rncwalker is offline   Reply With Quote