Old 10-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
nofish
Human being with feelings

Default v5.96+dev1010 - October 10 2018

• + Takes: make take changing behavior consistent independent of take-lane visibility option
  • # Takes: use reconcilation option on activate under mouse option [p=2043771]
  • + VST3: fix color byte ordering for plug-ins that use IContextInfoHandler [t=211988]
  • + VST3: revert to 5.95 behavior relating to latent VST3 parameter changes and state saving
Changelog - Pre-Releases

Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode

Last edited by Justin; 10-10-2018 at 07:00 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 02:36 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Branches. Yay!
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
Yanick

I would like to have a new feature to work with takes. As for now, after having recorded the last take, the next take splits the previous one if its length is not the same. Is it possible to make the next take not splitting the previous one? So the source length of the next take would be the same as the source length of the previous one?
Yanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:05 AM   #4
EvilDragon

That is not an easy change and won't happen probably, I'd say. Takes in Reaper work as a subset of item. For what you want, you should probably use Free Item Positioning mode instead of takes.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 10-11-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
Yanick

It can be done by drag-and-dropping a new clip over the previous one and saving the new clip as a take
Old 10-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
EvilDragon

That's a completely different thing though, not exactly compatible to natively do what you want. FIPM is much more in line with that.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #7
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanick View Post
I would like to have a new feature to work with takes. As for now, after having recorded the last take, the next take splits the previous one if its length is not the same. Is it possible to make the next take not splitting the previous one? So the source length of the next take would be the same as the source length of the previous one?
I highly agree on this one...
There were multiple threads created in FR for that 'feature'....

I really think that splitting previous takes as a default is just horrendous...if a person needs a portion or a segment from a different take he/she will be more willing to do that by themselves and not have +100 small chops on each lane at the end of most takes just because you hit stop earlier or later.

This part of recording process is very weak and must be revised.
Don't get me wrong, it's not unusable, but it's absolutely not optimal or comfortable for majority of users...

I know that ED will jump on my generalization of 'majority' so here is Google search that will show you a lot of threads on the same subject dating from 2014 up till 2017/18:
https://www.google.com/search?q=spli...the+end+reaper

If something is not broken it doesn't mean it's not cumbersome.

Overdubbing needs to be overhauled and now is the perfect time to do it.

My take on it (no pun intended) that by default Reaper will not split takes and just prioritize the top lane.

So when you have multiple takes they will sit in one track and the only parts will play that are selected and by defult we will prioritize only the highest recorded takes.

There is no need to split anything if user dose not want to do that...

By prioritizing highest lane we can solve the splitting issue.

Last edited by inarisound; 10-11-2018 at 10:34 AM.
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
EvilDragon

There are clear benefits to the current take system, as outlined by Robert in this post:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=214

Reaper doesn't remove features or existing workflows often (or at all), so anything that happens regarding takes how some other DAWs are handling it is not going to be based on the current take paradigm in Reaper, but instead enabling FIPM to do better and easier comps, for example. At least that would be the easiest way of implementing this, as far as I can see.

In any case, post discussion regarding comping in the thread I linked above, not here.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
inarisound

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There are clear benefits to the current take system, as outlined by Robert in this post:

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=214

Reaper doesn't remove features or existing workflows often (or at all), so anything that happens regarding takes how some other DAWs are handling it is not going to be based on the current take paradigm in Reaper, but instead enabling FIPM to do better and easier comps, for example. At least that would be the easiest way of implementing this, as far as I can see.

In any case, post discussion regarding comping in the thread I linked above, not here.

well just so you know... this sentence by Robert says it all

"I do agree that the current system is not that great for music. For the task of recording musicians performing, I personally think other systems allow you to achieve better results with less work."

That's exactly what we are trying to deliver here...

In the remaining portion of that post by Robert he is trying to say that the system can't be changed because it's gonna ruin existing workflows.

Well in that case Reaper is very flexible to solve that issue with a checkbox in preferences... that was always solution to most "debatable" features....

For instance ED, you might not use measure dividers?
But for me It was very significant visual improvement for my workflow.... though some people found it unusable and were saying "there is no need for that"...

And I agree with both arguments, so that's why devs just made a checkbox...if you want it, you use it.

Last edited by inarisound; 10-11-2018 at 10:51 AM.
inarisound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Yanick

Something like this.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19_S...pfoWY6qs8/view
Old 10-12-2018, 07:09 AM   #11
Robert Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
[list][*]+ Takes: make take changing behavior consistent independent of take-lane visibility option
Perfect! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
[*]# Takes: use reconcilation option on activate under mouse option [p=2043771]
This seems "better", but I'm still a bit confused by the smart reconcile introduced in +dev1009

The behaviour seems to be that later takes are only picked up as you approach, then pass, the lane with the later takes.

To me the is a bit strange based on part of your original explanation:

Quote:
The use case of the reconcilation mode is that you would often start by recording a performance, as the first take. Then, you'd overdub various parts multiple times.

In this case, if you select multiple items and choose a take lane, you'd want to use the media in that lane if available, and if not, use the previous lane that has media (since in that instance the overdub applied in that lane did not modify that item other than adding an empty lane).
To me it seems most useful that all of the take lanes are filled. So here's an animation of how I would expect the take switching to occur:

I'm pointing this out because sometimes overdubs have slight earlier overlaps, or late releases that are important to the whole take to sound right. Performers rarely nail that onset and exit perfectly right.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #12
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
I'm pointing this out because sometimes overdubs have slight earlier overlaps, or late releases that are important to the whole take to sound right. Performers rarely nail that onset and exit perfectly right.
Ah yeah, I think I can fix that...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote