Old 08-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #1
Phil Steffen
Human being with feelings

Default Problem starting a new project

Recently I created a file called New Song, just to save an idea. Now, when I attempt to open Reaper, the message opening New Song appears, but the program won't open, it just spins and spins.
Apparently I must have erased the file. Since it kept trying to open, I renamed another project New Song in my Reaper documents hoping it would open that, but that didnt work either.This all occurred after upgrading to a newer version.
Any suggestions, fixes, referrals, etc? Trying to avoid having to take my PC into the shop. Yes, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Same thing happens.
Phil Steffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #2
Fex
Human being with feelings

Welcome to the forums.

I think that one of three things has gone wrong:

# The RPP file is corrupted.
# Reaper's configuration is corrupted.
# A VST in the project is buggy.

Obviously, there is the fourth possibility that your PC is goosed. Probably not.

A few things to try:

# File > Open project > New Song.... but before you click "Open," check the box that says "Open with FX offline (recovery mode)."

The project will open, or it won't. If it does, please report back before proceeding further.

# Consider resetting Reaper's configuration to factory defaults (if you're using Windows, it's in your Start menu under "Reaper"). You would then have to re-enter any custom VST paths, etc.

# If that doesn't fix the problem, upload the RPP project file (just the file, not the audio) to somewhere (eg a Dropbox or The Stash: https://stash.reaper.fm/ ), post a link to that RPP file, and we the peeps will see if we can load it.

It might be useful to know what OS you're using.

Last edited by Fex; 08-03-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote