Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-11-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
ProtoolstoReaper
Human being with feelings

Default Protools to Reaper - Editing .Wav Audio Files

Hi, I have been ‘trying’ to switch from Protools to Reaper. Avid charge far too much for their software, however Protools is good for editing audio .wav Files. For example editing a vocal track

Can anyone recommend where I could find a tutorial video for basic audio editing in Reaper?

Thanks.

Last edited by ProtoolstoReaper; 12-11-2019 at 10:57 PM.
ProtoolstoReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:01 PM   #2
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoolstoReaper View Post
basic audio editing
Any DAW is all about "Audio Editing".

What exactly do do mean by basic audio editing ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:12 PM   #3
serr

Right off the top...

Items are what PT called regions.
That's because Reaper then also has regions - which are saved time selections

Reaper doesn't permanently link time selection and item selection.
You CAN link them if you wish. Otherwise you can do those things separately.

Everything is selection based in Reaper. The selected thing (item, track, whathaveyou) or multiple selected things are the target for actions. (Commands are called actions. And there are 1000's more than the small default set pasted in the menus. Yes, you can change/add to menus.)

Protools was simpleton for editing. Reaper is very comprehensive!
You should be able to dial-in whatever your editing workflow is (change a few things if the defaults are too foreign) and then take off from there with the new features. That's what I thought anyway. I had a great 10 year relationship with PT HD before upgrading to Reaper when they crashed and burned back... looks like another 10 years has passed!

The manual and google are good. This forum is good.
I don't prefer videos and avoid them myself.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
Sir Hannes

Well, I see if that's true, after 15y protools HD ;-)
As I am open minded and like to learn new things, I am looking forward.

Just what I don't like: That Reaper counts days before it stops the free license. Friends have a startup and their software counts the hours you spend, not the calendar days... I feel a little bit pressure, although the price isn't hight at all but I don't buy things which I don't need (nor know if I will).

Thanks to everyone in this forum, btw, I will ask many questions

Bye!
Old 12-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
serr

Counts the days before it "nags" you to buy it actually FYI. You'll be able to finish your evaluation with no restrictions.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #6
Tone Ranger

I dumped Pro Tools for Reaper this year as well! It took a little getting used to, but I couldn't be happier making the switch. This helped a lot when I was making the switch, hope it helps you too:

https://www.protoolstoreaper.com/

I'd imagine you've already come across Kenny Gioia's videos, but if not...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq2...98HlB5mVFHGSsQ

And finally, Jon Tidey's videos - they all helped a lot when I switched. Jon also offers one on one support from his website, and could talk you through any specific questions you have!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39...48qpzEz1l_-7tQ
Tone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
serr

If you're even half the editing fiend I am, I suggest to look into Reaper's features instead of just trying to simulate Protools. The scope of Reaper's editing features are SO far ahead of where Protools HD was at. (Mind you, PT was happiness and light to me at the time!)

Just the first two things you stumble across: The ability to have time selection and item selection separate. Being able to hit undo for an errant item selection. (And all the other things that respond to ⌘z)

You hit the ground running! That last bit I said about undo is a genuine cure for DAW-based turrets.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:55 PM   #8
przemak

Well, I was PT guy from '93, so a bit longer Editing in Reaper can be exactly like in PT, minor differences are not important. My workflow is very similiar in PT and in Reaper. Kenny's video are great.
przemak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:07 AM   #9
BBusby

Yeah, 20 years PT user here, and editing in Reaper is faster. I have all my edit keys (trim, cut, paste, mute, fade, enable crossfade, delete, etc.) accessible with just my left hand in one position so that the right hand is free for the mouse. Editing is super fast. Reaper just requires you to dive in and customize it to your tastes.
BBusby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:30 AM   #10
airon

Same for me. 25 year PT user, now a happy Reaper editor and mixer for the past four years, casual user for 8 years before that.

I mouse-over-fade in and out all the time. Stuff I miss.... almost nothing these days.

Painting out bits is cleaner with Izotope RX, and actually I can do that in Reaper with a script if I really wanted to.

I did love the mousewheel-driven item gain in Protools a few years ago, but Justin recreated that with an EEL script in 20 minutes.

X-Rayms AATranslator/Protools scripts ensure compatiblity to Protools users if/when I have to take a Reaper sesson to old Protools, so I'm covered.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #11
bigjoe

Ten years PT user, 4 years of Reaper and no regrets.
I can do everything i did with PT, plus a lot more
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #12
przemak

To be honest, there is one thing - no pencil for drawing over clicks in waveform wiev
Old 12-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #13
vdubreeze

One of the biggest differences is that PT defaults to a physical handling, viewing and moving of sections that feels like you're in any other OS X program. You don't need to read the manual to edit, you can just do it. Reaper doesn't default like that, but the good news is that you can change, among many other things, the "mouse modifiers" to make the physical act of editing more the way you prefer it. The bad news is that it's virtually impossible to figure out what to do by staring at this in the preferences. But the good news is that if there's any thing at all you want to stop happening when you do something and make something else happen, asking here will get an answer quicker than anywhere else in DAW support land. There are also plenty of threads about changing workflow in Reaper to make it more what one considers productive, so a forum search may turn up the exact solution.

I personally did change several mouse modifiers and other things to make some physical editing behaviors more PT like, not because I insist on stick with old mores and refuse to march ahead into the future but because they're better ways to work for me. I had to ask how to do it and can't for the life of me remember what they were, but if I go back in my posts here I can probably find them. But they were simple to do after having the info how to do them. Some other workflow things happen with the help of actions, and some of my most used are not only not in the stock list but are a mystery to me how they were programmed and they exist through the generosity of the wiser Reaper users here. But it's easy as pie to put together a simple action, add one of the custom ones, and then have the perfect action that no one else understands why you'd need
Old 12-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #14
Mordi

Nice to see this PT veteran support club going on. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by przemak View Post
To be honest, there is one thing - no pencil for drawing over clicks in waveform wiev
Yes, Reaper does not have this natively - but it comes close.

Select the item and run this action:

Use CTRL + left drag to quasi-edit the waveform.

There was also a really nice extension that did the same thing as PT, where you could draw the waveform. I don't remember the name of it.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #15
Tone Ranger

This script? gen_SampleEditor.lua

It's by @EUGEN27771

I can't find the thread for it, but here's a link to his Github:

https://github.com/EUGEN27771/ReaScr...mpleEditor.lua

Works really well!
Old 12-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #16
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
This script? gen_SampleEditor.lua

It's by @EUGEN27771

I can't find the thread for it, but here's a link to his Github:

https://github.com/EUGEN27771/ReaScr...mpleEditor.lua

Works really well!
it does work very well but one should keep in mind that it actually alters the data in the source file in real-time (i.e. it works destructively) so it's highly recommended to work on a physical copy of the actual audio file (or a glued snippet of it) because it may not be possible to undo all sample edits and there's a risk that you screw up your original audio!

Old 12-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #17
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
it does work very well but one should keep in mind that it actually alters the data in the source file in real-time (i.e. it works destructively) so it's highly recommended to work on a physical copy of the actual audio file (or a glued snippet of it) because it may not be possible to undo all sample edits and there's a risk that you screw up your original audio!

Very true! Same for Pro Tools, pencil editing on the waveform is destructive. Does anyone know if that's the case for all apps that allow redrawing of the waveform??
Old 12-13-2019, 03:02 PM   #18
SonicAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Ranger View Post
Very true! Same for Pro Tools, pencil editing on the waveform is destructive. Does anyone know if that's the case for all apps that allow redrawing of the waveform??
such an edit probably can't be non-destructive by its nature
Regarding Reaper, this sample editor script is the only destructive editing feature I know of. Anything else does not alter the original audio file but instead automatically creates newly rendered clones.

Old 12-13-2019, 05:05 PM   #19
przemak

This script does exactly what I needed, great, THANK YOU!
Old 12-13-2019, 05:51 PM   #20
Tone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicAxiom View Post
such an edit probably can't be non-destructive by its nature
Regarding Reaper, this sample editor script is the only destructive editing feature I know of. Anything else does not alter the original audio file but instead automatically creates newly rendered clones.

Makes sense! I suppose you could create a custom action that would duplicate the selected waveform before opening the script? Scripting is not something I know much about, but imagine it wouldn't be complicated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by przemak View Post
This script does exactly what I needed, great, THANK YOU!
No problem, happy to help!! 👍
Old 12-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #21
hopi

funny how the OP pops up with such a 'burning' issue\question and then vaporizes...
Old 12-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #22
airon

Splitting, rendering to new take(or glue), then editing the audio in a pencil fashion is exactly what everyone does in Protools as well. b, OPT+SHIFT+3.... was it F9 for the pencil ?

Yeah that script is cool. With it you can replicate that workflow exactly.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 06:44 PM   #23
Eddy

one of the virtues of using an external editor is that a copy is made automatically. You could set Reaper as your external editor if you dont have another one - even make a portable install set up specifically for editing if you had the regular need for it
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:50 AM   #24
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
funny how the OP pops up with such a 'burning' issue\question and then vaporizes...
(grin) you`re getting as bad as the INs. (Impatient newbies) Hopi. Its been a couple of days. If he is a Brit he may well have been glued to teh telly/wireless/computer watching the general election & is now drunk in a gutter somewhere crying.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:52 PM   #25
ProtoolstoReaper

Sorry about the late reply, thanks a lot for the tips Toneranger

Last edited by ProtoolstoReaper; 01-26-2020 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Made typo
ProtoolstoReaper is offline   Reply With Quote