Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 06-19-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
Iokanaan
Human being with feelings

Default Best CPU for Reaper. AMD 5900X or intel 11900K ? (sorry for the double post)

(sorry for the double post, I put firstly put the message in the wrong forum and tried to delete it but I couldn't figure out how)

Hello everyone,

I am currently at the point of buying a new configuration and I am hesitating between these 2 CPUs (AMD 5900X or intel i9 11900k). Both are approximately the same price here and I can't find anywhere some solid information concerning these in the perspective of music production. If you have a link, btw, I would be glad to take it.

The questions this seems to raise is :
- The Intel seems better in single thread performance, and for what I know, single-thread perf is the most important for DAWs. On the contrary, the AMD with its 12 cores instead of 8 for the i9 overcomes a lot the intel. And Reaper does exploit multi-thread performances. I don't know if the better perf in single core of the intel compensates the better perf in multi-cores of the AMD or the opposite.

- I've heard that softwares are often optimized for intel CPUs and that AMD may have compatibility issues. Does anyone know if it is the case for Reaper ?

All in all, if someone has the answer - or a lead, a guess - for the question of which CPU will allow me the greatest number of tracks and plugins while keeping its stability during the recording and the mixing, I take.

Important notice : I use a lot Reaper with FX instances in real-time since I use it to make my sound during rehearsals. So real-time performances are quite important to me, at least as much as mixing performances during the playback.

Any insight or advise will be welcome.

Thanks in advance guys.
Iokanaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
mplay

I'd go with the 5900x. Maybe if you have a thunderbolt interface Intel is the safer choice or at least make sure the motherboard will work. Single thread performance is very close but the 4 extra cores should come in handy if you run lot's of tracks with fx. AMD is also more power efficient, I'd definitely want some serious cooling if you pick the 11900k and plan to overclock it. Having said that I'm very happy with my 11400 build I just did, definitely a great CPU for $170. I'm running lot's of cpu hungry Acustica Audio plugins and have enough power for my needs. Also did a test with Gullfoss and could run 185 instances @48/512 and although it's only a six core with a maximum all core boost of 4.2 GHz it was hitting 76C in a high airflow case with a noctua U12 redux.
mplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
Iokanaan

Thanks for your input.
Iokanaan is offline   Reply With Quote