Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #1
WIshface
Human being with feelings

Default Optimisation Problem? Suddenly Reaper is eating up my CPU

I've only just started to have this problem and I don't know what's causing it.

I'm in a project, no more complex or full than anything else I've done, and the framerate started slowing down. I checked Task Manager and saw that Reaper was using damn near 80% (plus!) CPU. The core temperatures on my laptop, which I always monitory, were not far off 80 degrees C as well.

I cannot figure out why this is happening. I tried a smaller project, moving the part I'm working on to a new subproject and shutting the main one. Even then it's still at 60% CPU and that's while idle, as I type this.

The performance monitor in Reaper itself is saying nothing close to this. Not even 10% so something's not right. Can you help me find what it is?

Thanks
WIshface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
serr

Does Task Manager report per CPU core? (Like Activity Monitor in OSX.) If you had an 8 core CPU with a single core maxed out, you would see 100%. (100% out of max 800%) Performance meter in Reaper would show 12%. (12% out of 100%)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
WIshface

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Does Task Manager report per CPU core? (Like Activity Monitor in OSX.) If you had an 8 core CPU with a single core maxed out, you would see 100%. (100% out of max 800%) Performance meter in Reaper would show 12%. (12% out of 100%)
I don't know. I have a dual core.

It must be something in the project because I'm not experiencing this with other projects. But I can't find what it is.
WIshface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #4
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIshface View Post
I tried a smaller project, moving the part I'm working on to a new subproject and shutting the main one. Even then it's still at 60% CPU and that's while idle, as I type this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIshface View Post
It must be something in the project because I'm not experiencing this with other projects. But I can't find what it is.
I am confused, does it happen only for one project or several?

One thing to test is to de-activate all FX and see if it still happens. If it does, then activate them one by one until the problem occurs again. This could be a badly coded FX exhibiting denormalization issues. If so, you can put GNormal (https://www.gvst.co.uk/gnormal.htm) in front of it.