Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 05-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #1201
UNdark
Human being with feelings

Default Fx folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Post the fx.zon file here please. Could be something in the .zon or even the file name.
Thanks Funkybot - (it's very basic as i'm in the middle of a walk through vid showing the ZoneRawFXFiles method to get names and params and have the names on the display for faders and rotary's..) I want to get the displays working correctly when switching between faders and rotary's too if you've any thoughts on that too? Many thanks

Code:
Zone "VST: Smooth Operator (BABY Audio)" "SMOOTH"

SelectedTrackNavigator

Fader1				        FXParam 8 "HPF"
         Fader2					NoAction 
         Fader3				         NoAction  
         Fader4					NoAction 
         Fader5					NoAction 
         Fader6					NoAction
         Fader7				        FXParam 9 "LPF"
         Fader8					NoAction 

DisplayUpper1 FXParamNameDisplay 8 “HPF”
        DisplayLower1 FXParamValueDisplay 8
        Fader1 FXParam 8 
/	
        DisplayUpper2 FXParamNameDisplay  
        DisplayLower2 FXParamValueDisplay   
        Fader2 NoAction
/	
	DisplayUpper3 FXParamNameDisplay  
        DisplayLower3 FXParamValueDisplay  
        Fader3 NoAction 
/	 
	DisplayUpper4 FXParamNameDisplay  
        DisplayLower4 FXParamValueDisplay  
        Fader4 NoAction 
/	
	DisplayUpper5 FXParamNameDisplay   
        DisplayLower5 FXParamValueDisplay  
        Fader5 NoAction
/	 
	DisplayUpper6 FXParamNameDisplay   
        DisplayLower6 FXParamValueDisplay  
        Fader6 NoAction 
/	 
        DisplayUpper7 FXParamNameDisplay 9 “LPF”
        DisplayLower7 FXParamValueDisplay 9
        Fader7 FXParam 9
/

DisplayUpper8 FXParamNameDisplay   
        DisplayLower8 FXParamValueDisplay  
        Fader8 NoAction 

Rotary1					NoAction
	Rotary2			                NoAction
	Rotary3					NoAction
	Rotary4					NoAction
	Rotary5					NoAction
	Rotary6					NoAction
	Rotary7					NoAction
        Rotary8			                NoAction
Old 05-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #1202
tompad

Default FixedTextDisplay and GoZone

Here we go again....

I cant get the GoZone with FixedTextDisplay to work like I
want it to...

I have this:
Code:
Zone "Home"
     ShowText1                          FixedTextDisplay "Track Mode"
     IncludedZones
          "Buttons"
          "SelectedChannel"
          "MasterChannel"
          "JogWheel"
    IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd

Zone "Buttons"
     BankLeft                           Control
     BankRight                          Alt
     Scrub                              Shift
    / Some more buttons....and

Control+F1                         GoZone "Home"
     Control+F2                         GoZone "Mixer"
     Control+F3                         NoAction
     Control+F4                         NoAction
     Control+F5                         NoAction
     Control+F6                         NoAction
    / and a lot more buttons....
ZoneEnd

Zone "SelectedChannel"
     SelectedTrackNavigator 
     DisplayUpper1                      TrackNameDisplay
     DisplayLower1                      MCUTrackPanDisplay
     Fader1                             TrackVolume
     Control+Fader1                       Reaper "_XENAKIOS_RESETTRACKVOLANDPAN1"  // Reset volume and pan for selected tracks
     Control+RotaryPush1                  Reaper "_XENAKIOS_PANTRACKSCENTER"    // Reset pan
     Rotary1                            MCUTrackPan  [ (0.005,0.01,0.025,0.034,0.05) ]    //Rotary1  MCUTrackPan  [ (0.001,0.005,0.025,0.05,0.1) ]
     VUMeter1                           TrackOutputMeter
     Solo1                              TrackSolo
     Mute1                              TrackMute
     RecordArm1                         TrackRecordArm
     Shift+RecordArm1                   CycleTrackAutoMode
     /ShowText1                          FixedTextDisplay "Track Mode"
     ShowText2                          TrackNameDisplay
     ShowText3                          TrackVolumeDisplay
     ShowText4                          TrackPanDisplay   
ZoneEnd

Zone "MasterChannel"
     MasterTrackNavigator
     MasterFader                        TrackVolume    
ZoneEnd

Zone "Mixer"
      ShowText1                          FixedTextDisplay "Mixer Mode"
     Control+F1                         GoZone "Home"
ZoneEnd
When I start up Reaper my SamsungTablet with TouchOSC it show "Track Mode" and what track is selected
and volume values. When I change track TouchOSC follows and show the right things.

However when I press Control+F2 to change zone to "Mixer" nothing happens with TouchOSC it still
show "Track Mode" and the correct values. Dont get it - shouldn't it show "Mixer Mode"??
Old 05-14-2021, 12:59 PM   #1203
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNdark View Post
Thanks Funkybot - (it's very basic as i'm in the middle of a walk through vid showing the ZoneRawFXFiles method to get names and params and have the names on the display for faders and rotary's..) I want to get the displays working correctly when switching between faders and rotary's too if you've any thoughts on that too? Many thanks
It looked fine overall. You were missing a ZoneEnd at the end of the file. I also wonder if the Displays with no actions were tossing off the zone. I replaced those with a proper NoAction.

Try this...

Code:
Zone "VST: Smooth Operator (BABY Audio)" "SMOOTH"
SelectedTrackNavigator
/
DisplayUpper1 FXParamNameDisplay 8 “HPF”
DisplayLower1 FXParamValueDisplay 8
Fader1 FXParam 8 
/	
DisplayUpper2 NoAction  
DisplayLower2 NoAction   
Fader2 NoAction
/	
DisplayUpper3 NoAction  
DisplayLower3 NoAction  
Fader3 NoAction 
/	 
DisplayUpper4 NoAction  
DisplayLower4 NoAction  
Fader4 NoAction 
/	
DisplayUpper5 NoAction   
DisplayLower5 NoAction  
Fader5 NoAction
/	 
DisplayUpper6 NoAction   
DisplayLower6 NoAction  
Fader6 NoAction 
/	 
DisplayUpper7 FXParamNameDisplay 9 “LPF”
DisplayLower7 FXParamValueDisplay 9
Fader7 FXParam 9
/
DisplayUpper8 NoAction   
DisplayLower8 NoAction  
Fader8 NoAction 
/      
Rotary1     NoAction
Rotary2     NoAction
Rotary3     NoAction
Rotary4     NoAction
Rotary5     NoAction
Rotary6     NoAction
Rotary7     NoAction
Rotary8     NoAction
/
ZoneEnd
...regarding having the displays update for the rotaries, that's trickier. You can try to setup sub-zones. Also, you could look to use a modifier on the displays so holding "Shift" for example gave you a peak as to what the Rotary was doing.
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #1204
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Jon, just a tip since your surface doesn't have displays. If you have a spare tablet or phone, you can setup CSI where the tablet/phone operates as the "displays" for your control surface so you can see what's mapped where.
I'm trying to make this work for me and it is working partially. I created a surface file for my TouchOSC, just like you suggested. Now when i connect mu TouchOsc and reset all devices, my channel information is displayed well. I can go through banks etc. No problems here.

But when I want to change a zone, go to the FXMenu for instance, no data at all is sent to the OSC device. I monitored it with the CSI monitor.

Do I oversee something? Any ideas? Would love this to work, cause this addition makes the BCF2000 a great tool. I can provide the files if needed
Navelpluisje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:48 PM   #1205
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navelpluisje View Post
I'm trying to make this work for me and it is working partially. I created a surface file for my TouchOSC, just like you suggested. Now when i connect mu TouchOsc and reset all devices, my channel information is displayed well. I can go through banks etc. No problems here.

But when I want to change a zone, go to the FXMenu for instance, no data at all is sent to the OSC device. I monitored it with the CSI monitor.

Do I oversee something? Any ideas? Would love this to work, cause this addition makes the BCF2000 a great tool. I can provide the files if needed
Maybe try zipping up the relevant .zon and csi.ini files and posting them here. Are you treating the OSC device and BCF2000 as the same device in CSI? If not, I don't think it will work. Either way, I'd want to take a closer look at how everything's tying together in case anything sticks out. Others on the forum may have ideas too. Helps too see what you're working with.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #1206
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Maybe try zipping up the relevant .zon and csi.ini files and posting them here. Are you treating the OSC device and BCF2000 as the same device in CSI? If not, I don't think it will work. Either way, I'd want to take a closer look at how everything's tying together in case anything sticks out. Others on the forum may have ideas too. Helps too see what you're working with.
In the attachment the relevant surface and zone files and the ini file in the code block. Yeah I am, as far as I know, treating them as the same device. They both are in the same page in the settings.

Thanx already

Code:
Page "BCF2000" FollowMCP NoSynchPages UseScrollLink 
MidiSurface "BCF2000" 8 8 "Reapinger-BCF2000.mst" "Reapinger-BCF2000" 8 8 8 0 
OSCSurface "Displays" 8000 9000 "labels.ost" "Reapinger-BCF2000" 8 8 8 0  192.168.1.23
Archive.zip
Old 05-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #1207
MixMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navelpluisje View Post
I don't believe you've overlooked anything. To achieve what you want would require CSI to synchronise zone changes across surfaces, which is something it doesn't currently do.

This feature has been discussed in the past and the use case you've described makes a compelling argument for that feature to be added, I believe.
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #1208
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
I don't believe you've overlooked anything. To achieve what you want would require CSI to synchronise zone changes across surfaces, which is something it doesn't currently do.

This feature has been discussed in the past and the use case you've described makes a compelling argument for that feature to be added, I believe.
Just to add to what MixMonkey said...Geoff proposed some new actions for this recently so it may be "in the works." Adding displays to a surface with no displays currently works using the "use the same zon folder for hardware and OSC" approach, but the zone changes are probably the current state deal-breaker in the FXMenu approach.

Hopefully we're not too far away from that being added to CSI though as I'd like to use it too.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:55 PM   #1209
UNdark

Quote:
Just to add to what MixMonkey said...Geoff proposed some new actions for this recently so it may be "in the works." Adding displays to a surface with no displays currently works using the "use the same zon folder for hardware and OSC" approach, but the zone changes are probably the current state deal-breaker in the FXMenu approach.

Hopefully we're not too far away from that being added to CSI though as I'd like to use it too.
Absolutely second (third in this case..! )that one. It may be a bit niche and only relevant to the multi controller users, but it's a big one if you do use another controller for fx..

Funkybot - here's a link for you to the remote/zero templates i use in midi with a link for downloading the editor to upload and edit them to your remote. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...n_?usp=sharing
I've a vid on the layout of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy_cI_h5VYQ

At the moment I'm selecting the fx zone with CSI on the MCU then switch to the SL using template for FX - eq/comp/del+verb. REALLY want to get the remote in CSI, but must admit i'm struggling with the time consumption. I keep imagining CSI being able to - : touch control on fx with mouse/wiggle controller fader/rotary and it's assigned with correct params on display - as reaper internally does with midi - but that's because I'm so bloody slow on the text/programming side of CSI and am not really "code" minded!

The SMOOTH FX zon we looked at above - thanks - that works fine.. I still have to put it in the main zon file and the param names don't show on the display(the display lower works fine) I made an FXZones folder in the MCU surface zon folder but the individual plugin files don't seem to be noticed in there - only when written into the main zon file - that's a big issue at the mo.. if you have any knowledge of what i need to do to get csi to see the individual plugin files ( i tried adding the ext. "zon" to the file.. )
I do look at the github before asking here - but like folks that come to my channel - it can be a bit "tec minded" or confusing to people who've never had to do this before, so i try to convert sections of CSI into a layman's walkthrough, in video, for those who find it hard to grasp... please bear with me/us
Many Thanks!
Old 05-15-2021, 06:27 AM   #1210
MixMonkey

Quote:
I made an FXZones folder in the MCU surface zon folder but the individual plugin files don't seem to be noticed in there - only when written into the main zon file - that's a big issue at the mo.. if you have any knowledge of what i need to do to get csi to see the individual plugin files ( i tried adding the ext. "zon" to the file.. )
Does the FXMenu appear on the MCU display correctly?

Probably a good idea to zip up your MCU.zon and MCU.mst so we can take a look.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:13 AM   #1211
UNdark

Quote:
Does the FXMenu appear on the MCU display correctly?

Probably a good idea to zip up your MCU.zon and MCU.mst so we can take a look.
Thanks MixMonkey - The plugin shows + works correctly inserted into the main zon, it just shows "NoMap" on the MCU if i delete it from the main zon file + try to use an individual FXZone text file..

I created an "FXZones" folder in the MCU zon folder.
Into this, i made a very basic text file (MCU faders only) and added the ext. "zon" for this plugin:
Code:
Zone "VST: Midnight Compressor (Focusrite)""MIDNIGHT"

SelectedTrackNavigator 

DisplayUpper1 FXParamNameDisplay 3  
        DisplayLower1 FXParamValueDisplay 3 
       Fader1 FXParam 3 "Attack"
/	
        DisplayUpper2 FXParamNameDisplay 4
        DisplayLower2 FXParamValueDisplay 4
        Fader2 FXParam 4 "Release"
/	
          DisplayUpper3 FXParamNameDisplay 1
          DisplayLower3 FXParamValueDisplay 1
        Fader3 FXParam 1 "Threshold"
/	 
	DisplayUpper4 FXParamNameDisplay 2 
        DisplayLower4 FXParamValueDisplay 2 
        Fader4 FXParam 2 "Ratio"
/	
	DisplayUpper5  NoAction 
        DisplayLower5  NoAction   
        Fader5  NoAction 
/	 
	DisplayUpper6 FXParamNameDisplay 8    
        DisplayLower6 FXParamValueDisplay 8
        Fader6 FXParam 8 "Blend" 
/	 
        DisplayUpper7 FXParamNameDisplay 0  
        DisplayLower7 FXParamValueDisplay 0 
        Fader7 FXParam 0 "InGain" 
/

DisplayUpper8 FXParamNameDisplay 6   
        DisplayLower8 FXParamValueDisplay 6   
       Fader7 FXParam 6 "Make up Gain"

ZoneEnd
"NoMap" is the result. This code, when copied into my main zon file: the plugin + display work fine. So the folder name/plugin text type might be why it's not seen as a file in the FXZones folder... i think?

When it does work (via the main zon file) - I didn't want the manufacturer's names, as they were too long for the display on the MCU.
As it appears, in this above layout, the plugin, remains the reference for the plugin parameters names. The way i'm modifying those:

1) Move the fader (which is allocated correctly, just no apparent name)
2) use a hotkey to edit the ALIAS of the plugin parameter
3) Enter abbreviated names for the MCU display
4) Instant update on the MCU display

This is quick for me to do and gives instant visual confirmation, but is there use a method to alter names inside the plugin zon file I'm missing? I tried a few ways but altering the Alias in the plugin (after assigning the faders in CSI) seems easy..

The MST file is standard(last version)and the zipped zon file is attached - Again - Many thanks
Attached Files
File Type: zip MCU.zip (9.6 KB, 62 views)
Old 05-16-2021, 04:43 AM   #1212
MixMonkey

Quote:
Thanks MixMonkey - The plugin shows + works correctly inserted into the main zon, it just shows "NoMap" on the MCU if i delete it from the main zon file + try to use an individual FXZone text file..

The first thing that strikes me is that your fx.zon files aren't plain text files- they need to be. Here's what's actually in your Midnight Compressor file from the ZIP:
Code:
{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\cocoartf1561\cocoasubrtf610
{\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;}
{\*\expandedcolortbl;;}
\paperw11900\paperh16840\margl1440\margr1440\vieww7140\viewh13240\viewkind0
\pard\tx720\tx1440\tx2160\tx2880\tx3600\tx4320\tx5040\tx5760\tx6480\tx7200\tx7920\tx8640\pardirnatural\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs24 \cf0 Zone "VST: Midnight Compressor (Focusrite)""MIDNIGHT"\
	\
        SelectedTrackNavigator \
       \
  \
\
        DisplayUpper1 FXParamNameDisplay 3  \
        DisplayLower1 FXParamValueDisplay 3 \
       FXParam 3 "Attack"\
/	\
        DisplayUpper2 FXParamNameDisplay 4\
        DisplayLower2 FXParamValueDisplay 4\
        FXParam 4 "Release"\
/	\
          DisplayUpper3 FXParamNameDisplay 1\
          DisplayLower3 FXParamValueDisplay 1\
        FXParam 1 "Threshold"\
/	 \
	DisplayUpper4 FXParamNameDisplay 2 \
        DisplayLower4 FXParamValueDisplay 2 \
        FXParam 2 "Ratio"\
/	\
	DisplayUpper5  NoAction \
        DisplayLower5  NoAction   \
        Fader5  NoAction \
/	 \
	DisplayUpper6 FXParamNameDisplay 8    \
        DisplayLower6 FXParamValueDisplay 8\
        FXParam 8 "Blend" \
/	 \
        DisplayUpper7 FXParamNameDisplay 0  \
        DisplayLower7 FXParamValueDisplay 0 \
        Fader7 FXParam 0 "InGain" \
/\
	\
	DisplayUpper8 FXParamNameDisplay 6   \
        DisplayLower8 FXParamValueDisplay 6   \
       FXParam 6 "Make up Gain"\
       		\
	\
ZoneEnd\
\
}
When you cut and paste what you see on the screen to the MCU.zon file, all the extraneous formatting code is left behind and the FX works. That's my guess anyway.

You need to use a proper plain text editor to create Zone files. My recommendation would be NotePad++ on Windows and BBEdit on macOS.

I've re-written the fx.zon file (see below) and included the parameter aliases you asked about. I've also included a ZIP file of same in plain text format. See if the file from the ZIP works in your FXZones folder.
Code:
Zone "VST: Midnight Compressor (Focusrite)" "MNIGHT"

SelectedTrackNavigator

DisplayUpper1   FXParamNameDisplay  3   “ATT” 
        DisplayLower1   FXParamValueDisplay 3
        Rotary1         NoAction 
        Fader1          FXParam             3  

DisplayUpper2   FXParamNameDisplay  4   “REL”
        DisplayLower2   FXParamValueDisplay 4
        Rotary2         NoAction
        Fader2          FXParam             4  

DisplayUpper3   FXParamNameDisplay  1   " THRESH"
        DisplayLower3   FXParamValueDisplay 1
        Rotary3         NoAction
        Fader3          FXParam             1 

DisplayUpper4   FXParamNameDisplay  2   " RATIO" 
        DisplayLower4   FXParamValueDisplay 2
        Rotary4         NoAction 
        Fader4          FXParam             2   

DisplayUpper5   NoAction 
        DisplayLower5   NoAction
        Rotary5         NoAction   
        Fader5          NoAction 

DisplayUpper6   FXParamNameDisplay  8   " MIX"    
        DisplayLower6   FXParamValueDisplay 8
        Rotary6         NoAction
        Fader6          FXParam 8   

DisplayUpper7   FXParamNameDisplay  0   " IN"  
        DisplayLower7   FXParamValueDisplay 0
        Rotary7         NoAction 
        Fader7          FXParam             0   

DisplayUpper8   FXParamNameDisplay  6   " OUT"  
        DisplayLower8   FXParamValueDisplay 6
        Rotary8         NoAction   
        Fader8          FXParam             6  
ZoneEnd

Last edited by MixMonkey; 05-23-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:37 AM   #1213
Navelpluisje

Quote:
The first thing that strikes me is that your fx.zon files aren't plain text files
@UnDark: Looks like you're using TextEdit on a mac, right?
If so, you can change the Format to Plain text in the peferences:
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 15.33.11.png

Then create a new file and copy the zon file into it again.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:06 AM   #1214
Funkybot

Quote:
Absolutely second (third in this case..! )that one. It may be a bit niche and only relevant to the multi controller users, but it's a big one if you do use another controller for fx..

Funkybot - here's a link for you to the remote/zero templates i use in midi with a link for downloading the editor to upload and edit them to your remote. https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...n_?usp=sharing
I've a vid on the layout of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy_cI_h5VYQ

At the moment I'm selecting the fx zone with CSI on the MCU then switch to the SL using template for FX - eq/comp/del+verb. REALLY want to get the remote in CSI, but must admit i'm struggling with the time consumption. I keep imagining CSI being able to - : touch control on fx with mouse/wiggle controller fader/rotary and it's assigned with correct params on display - as reaper internally does with midi - but that's because I'm so bloody slow on the text/programming side of CSI and am not really "code" minded!
That's the approach I had been using in the past as well (create template in Editor, push to device, call up template). Lately, the RemoteZeroSL just doesn't get use here. Though I still use it in Studio One, when I pop over to that DAW. If the displays worked with CSI similar to Mackie displays, I might be more inclined to use it in Reaper, but unfortunately, they do not and I can't get Novation to send me the documentation on how to control the displays.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:55 AM   #1215
cjewellstudios

So I've taken the day to finally set up this ipad as direct mirror to my dual twister setup.

Using the exact same Zone File/Folder for each

Running into problems:

1. I have an FXMenu on the ipad. GoFXSlot takes me into the FX Zones on the iPad but not on my twisters.

Here's the zone file:

Code:
Zone Home
        OnTrackSelection MapSelectedTrackFXToMenu
        IncludedZones
            "Channel"
            "Buttons"
            "FXMenu"
        IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd

Zone "Channel"
        TrackNavigator
        RotaryA|        TrackOutputMeterMaxPeakLR
        RotaryB|        MCUTrackPan                 [ (0.0005,0.0005,0.001,0.001,0.0015,0.002,0.003,0.004,0.004,0.005,0.015) ]  
        RotaryC|        TrackVolume                 [ (0.0005,0.0005,0.001,0.001,0.0015,0.002,0.003,0.004,0.004,0.005,0.015) ]
        RotaryPushA|    TrackUniqueSelect           { 0 255 135 255 0 80 }
        RotaryPushB|    TrackMute                   { 25 255 0 255 50 0 }
        RotaryPushC|    TrackSolo                   { 0 75 255 242 255 0 }
        ButtonH|        TrackMute
        ButtonI|        TrackSolo
        DisplayUpperA|  TrackNameDisplay
        DisplayUpperB|  TrackPanDisplay         
ZoneEnd

Zone "Buttons" 
        Shift           Shift
        Control         Control
        Option          Option
        Alt             Alt
ZoneEnd

Zone "FXMenu"
    FXMenuNavigator          
    FXMenuLabel|            FXMenuNameDisplay
    Shift+FXMenuButton|     Reaper "_S&M_FXBYP|"            //Bypass FX Slot
    Option+FXMenuButton|    Reaper "_S&M_FXOFF|"            //Offline FX slot
    FXMenuButton|           GoFXSlot
    FXMenuButton|           Reaper "_LBX_FX_POS_|"
ZoneEnd
Super weird that it pulls the ipad into the fx zone but not the twisters.

2. The OSC displays do not clear. For instance, "LP Freq1" will appear where it is until something overwrites it. Which makes sense, but even Refreshing all surfaces doesn't clear it. Is there something I should be adding to my FX Zones (like a "" for example) to clear the displays? Are there any other tricks?

The first problem is way more important at the moment. I also know there was chatter about broadcast zones and that should technically solve the problem, but I was hoping to get something set up and working today.

Cheers all!
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:59 AM   #1216
Geoff Waddington

New build is up

CSI v1_0.zip

Hopefully cured at least some of the crashes

However this is an EXPERIMENTAL build, so fair warning

OSC/EuCon are not functional, this is Midi only.

The whole Zone/Widgets thing has been a thorn in the CSI project's side for a number of years -- anyone remember the stack ?

Because of the number of R&D experiments in this area, the whole thing was a disaster, code-wise.

So, it got completely rewritten (finally).

We're starting from the ground up, please verify that Zones work properly.

Expect issues, please note them as you find them.

After a bit of pain testing this, we will have a much smoother, more stable sail going forward.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #1217
UNdark

Quote:
You need to use a proper plain text editor to create Zone files. My recommendation would be NotePad++ on Windows and BBEdit on macOS.

I've re-written the fx.zon file (see below) and included the parameter aliases you asked about. I've also included a ZIP file of same in plain text format. See if the file from the ZIP works in your FXZones folder.
Thanks MixMonkey - I'd never had known that. The ZIP file you edited does now show up as a working FX file, thanks. Frustratingly the plugin name remains in UpperDisplay1 where ATT should be and nothing in UpperDisplay2 ( REL) - but at least the others are named (i couldn't get them to work as aliases in a zon file previously and used the plugin's "alias parameter" which updated the display on the MCU using CSI instantly. )
... using:
Code:
        DisplayUpper1   FXParamNameDisplay  3   
        DisplayLower1   FXParamValueDisplay 3
        Rotary1         NoAction 
        Fader1          FXParam             3
CSI seems to revert to the plugin alias for the display name..i found a way to save the plugin with the alias names intact, but doesnt' explain what's up using the zon to do this..seems so close !

Quote:
@UnDark: Looks like you're using TextEdit on a mac, right?
If so, you can change the Format to Plain text in the peferences:
Screen Shot 2021-05-16 at 15.33.11.png
I've made that adjustment to text edit and will look at BBEdit as Mixmonkey mentioned , thank you for your help - i would never have been aware of it - !

Quote:
If the displays worked with CSI similar to Mackie displays, I might be more inclined to use it in Reaper, but unfortunately, they do not and I can't get Novation to send me the documentation on how to control the displays.
I was told if you use automap you get midi feedback with the remote, but without automap - non. ( I never used it) Do you think no midi feedback would be the reason for having to use template fixed displays?
Old 05-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #1218
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjewellstudios View Post
So I've taken the day to finally set up this ipad as direct mirror to my dual twister setup.

Using the exact same Zone File/Folder for each

Running into problems:

1. I have an FXMenu on the ipad. GoFXSlot takes me into the FX Zones on the iPad but not on my twisters.

Super weird that it pulls the ipad into the fx zone but not the twisters.

2. The OSC displays do not clear. For instance, "LP Freq1" will appear where it is until something overwrites it. Which makes sense, but even Refreshing all surfaces doesn't clear it. Is there something I should be adding to my FX Zones (like a "" for example) to clear the displays? Are there any other tricks?

The first problem is way more important at the moment. I also know there was chatter about broadcast zones and that should technically solve the problem, but I was hoping to get something set up and working today.

Cheers all!

1. Right now, you can't use FXMenu on one surface and have it update the .zon's on another. Sounds like Geoff has some ideas about adding this for a future build, so I think it'll be coming relatively soon. In my own Twister+OSC setup, the iPad just mirrors the Twister at all times and I'm not using an FXMenu. Just FocusedFX. But that may change when Geoff adds the functionality.

2. OSC is really weird about not clearing text and values. I'm not sure if it's a CSI issue, an OSC issue, or a router issue, but the same thing happens here. I either just ignore it (like when I'm exiting Reaper and some values linger), or just force it to change .zon's by focusing an unmapped FX and going home. Like you, not a high priority item so I've been living with it.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:43 PM   #1219
Funkybot

Quote:
I was told if you use automap you get midi feedback with the remote, but without automap - non. ( I never used it) Do you think no midi feedback would be the reason for having to use template fixed displays?
I'm speaking entirely out of my ass here, but I believe one of the other Reaper extensions does indeed work with the RemoteZeroSL displays, so there's probably some way to send sysex to them in order to get them to dynamically update. I would assume then that if Geoff had documentation and the inclination, he could figure out how to update the displays. Would that require auto-map being on or would it work with MIDI? No idea. I'd hope for the latter, but like I said...I'm talking out of my ass and don't know how these things really work.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:08 PM   #1220
cjewellstudios

Quote:
1. Right now, you can't use FXMenu on one surface and have it update the .zon's on another. Sounds like Geoff has some ideas about adding this for a future build, so I think it'll be coming relatively soon. In my own Twister+OSC setup, the iPad just mirrors the Twister at all times and I'm not using an FXMenu. Just FocusedFX. But that may change when Geoff adds the functionality.
Makes sense, and I did know that. I guess I just blindly hoped using the same zone folder would work lol.

But let's get back to testing the new build. My setup is all torn apart from trying this today so I won't be testing.

Best of luck to the new build!
cjewellstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 10:22 PM   #1221
UNdark

Quote:
New build is up

CSI v1_0.zip

Hopefully cured at least some of the crashes

However this is an EXPERIMENTAL build, so fair warning
Hi Geoff,
Installing all components: Dead surface...no display/controls

After playing a while - switching zones 7-10 times the display came up but not faders - more zone changing - faders and buttons working.

Restart reaper

All dead again

Re installed my original setup -

When the new build did work - the "MapSelectedTrackReceivesToWidgets" i hot keyed didn't work. But there was no crashing from zone to zone - send/globalview/plugin all good .
Old 05-17-2021, 02:41 AM   #1222
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
But there was no crashing from zone to zone - send/globalview/plugin all good .
Great news, that was the main outcome I was looking for, we'll just have to fix all the inevitable "shakedown cruise" stuff, as you are finding.

Any clues as to what finally got it to come to life ?
Old 05-17-2021, 08:47 AM   #1223
ivanmihaljevic

Hey guys! I'm a long time Reaper user (gonna be 10 years soon), but haven't joined the forum until now.
I started looking into CSI for my X Touch + Extender. It took me a while to figure out the logic, but I think I got it (to a degree). However, I have one big issue that I can't resolve and I'm unsure whether this is a bug or I'm just not understanding something.
When I select a track and go into Plugin mode everything works great, but I can't get back to the Home View. The Global View button is assigned the "GoZone Home" command, but it doesn't do anything. I checked that the hex code of the Global View button definition is correct with the MIDIox and it should be fine. I also tried assigning the "GoZone Home" to another button on the controller, but it didn't help.
Is this just a bug with the current version or am I messing something up?
ivanmihaljevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:53 AM   #1224
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanmihaljevic View Post
Hey guys! I'm a long time Reaper user (gonna be 10 years soon), but haven't joined the forum until now.
I started looking into CSI for my X Touch + Extender. It took me a while to figure out the logic, but I think I got it (to a degree). However, I have one big issue that I can't resolve and I'm unsure whether this is a bug or I'm just not understanding something.
When I select a track and go into Plugin mode everything works great, but I can't get back to the Home View. The Global View button is assigned the "GoZone Home" command, but it doesn't do anything. I checked that the hex code of the Global View button definition is correct with the MIDIox and it should be fine. I also tried assigning the "GoZone Home" to another button on the controller, but it didn't help.
Is this just a bug with the current version or am I messing something up?
Could be a bug with the current version. MixMonkey posted the March 26th update here...

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=12747

Try that out and see if it solves the issue.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #1225
UNdark

Quote:
Any clues as to what finally got it to come to life ?
Just had more time with this to find out:

(Again - clean install/csi folder + dylib)

No display/no fader working/sound like motor constantly updating on fader
Only working controls (no lights) : transport/click/marker/Drop/Replace - not solo
No zone swapping or other stuff.. much as i tried

I put my original dylib in, updated all midi devices - all worked
RE placed the new dylib into the folder and removed my old one,
updated all midi devices and that worked too.
Except till i restarted reaper.. then it did as described above..

I think i must have repeated that process yesterday in the testing and still had reaper using my old dylib, though i'd put the new one in and run "Reset all MIDI control surface devices" i guess it didn't register the new dylib till reaper startup...?
Old 05-17-2021, 10:39 AM   #1226
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Just had more time with this to find out:

(Again - clean install/csi folder + dylib)

No display/no fader working/sound like motor constantly updating on fader
Only working controls (no lights) : transport/click/marker/Drop/Replace - not solo
No zone swapping or other stuff.. much as i tried

I put my original dylib in, updated all midi devices - all worked
RE placed the new dylib into the folder and removed my old one,
updated all midi devices and that worked too.
Except till i restarted reaper.. then it did as described above..

I think i must have repeated that process yesterday in the testing and still had reaper using my old dylib, though i'd put the new one in and run "Reset all MIDI control surface devices" i guess it didn't register the new dylib till reaper startup...?
Cool, thanks, that makes more sense.

You need to exit Reaper, as you have found out

Reset just tells the devices to reset, doesn't reload libraries.

The good news is... managed to get my Avid Mixes back into Mackie mode, so now that I can test, am working my way through the issues, making good progress, stay tuned...
Old 05-17-2021, 10:49 AM   #1227
ivanmihaljevic

Quote:
Could be a bug with the current version. MixMonkey posted the March 26th update here...

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=12747

Try that out and see if it solves the issue.
Oh, would you look at that. It does solve it! Thank you very much!
Old 05-17-2021, 01:10 PM   #1228
Funkybot

Quote:
Oh, would you look at that. It does solve it! Thank you very much!
Thanks to MixMonkey for reposting that! It sounds like Mr. Waddington is on the case of the zone issues in the new builds so I'm sure the zone change issues will be resolved in no time flat.

Glad you're up and running. Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of CSI!
Old 05-17-2021, 04:33 PM   #1229
Geoff Waddington

New build is up.

CSI v1_0.zip

The power is slowly coming back on

Having an MCU emulation sure doesn't hurt either

You should now have basic transport, channel functions.

Next up -- Sends, Receives, OSC, EuCon, and anything else you folks find

Fingers crossed that things are returning to normal, that was a nasty little interlude.

However, as usual, the outcome will be a more solid internal architecture, the whole Zone thing was a piece waiting to be done for a while now...
Old 05-17-2021, 09:44 PM   #1230
UNdark

Quote:
Having an MCU emulation sure doesn't hurt either

You should now have basic transport, channel functions
Yep - channel function + bank/channel good.
Display back on
Transport (stop/play/rec) good - no ff or rew
Jog wheel good

Marker through to click - good Except: "DROP" seems to be zoning? It toggle drops the faders+blank display back to Global zone or thats how it looks..

Can I keep my zon and just replace the mst+Dylib to help test this? I've a stack of functions i know what to expect from in my own zon - no issue/no worries if not
Old 05-18-2021, 02:43 AM   #1231
ivanmihaljevic

I'm trying to make it so that when I touch a fader on my X-Touch the lower display switches from MCUTrackPanDisplay to TrackVolumeDisplay with no luck.

What am I doing wrong here?

Code:
Zone "Channel"
     TrackNavigator
     DisplayUpper|            TrackNameDisplay
     DisplayLower|            MCUTrackPanDisplay		 Rotary|
     TrackTouch+ DisplayLower|  TrackVolumeDisplay
     Rotary|                  MCUTrackPan								// [ (0.005,0.01,0.025,0.034,0.05) ]
     RecordArm|               TrackRecordArm
//     Control+RecordArm|       CycleTrackAutoMode
//     Shift+RecordArm|         Reaper         40495                         //Cycle track record monitor
     Solo|                    TrackSolo
     Mute|                    TrackMute
     Select|                  TrackUniqueSelect
     Shift+Select|            TrackRangeSelect
     Hold+Select|             TrackUniqueSelect
     Hold+Select|             Reaper 41665                            //Mixer: Toggle show tracks in folders in mixer
     Hold+Select|             TrackToggleVCASpill
     Shift+Control+Select|    TogglePin
     Fader|                   TrackVolume
     VUMeter|                 TrackOutputMeter
     TrackTouch+Fader|        TrackVolume
     FaderTouch|              TrackTouch
ZoneEnd
I thought it could be that the "FaderTouch" widget idea that I found in the documentation is deprecated (and not defined in my mst file), so I thought since the mst file defines "Touch" for each fader I could use that so I tried:

Code:
     Fader+DisplayLower|  TrackVolumeDisplay
But without any luck. So, can I make this work somehow?

The other thing that bugs me is that I need to give the pan pot a good swirl to get it to move from the center position. Then I can use small adjustments. But if I start out with just one click to the left or right, it does nothing. Why?
Old 05-18-2021, 03:18 AM   #1232
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Yep - channel function + bank/channel good.
Display back on
Transport (stop/play/rec) good - no ff or rew
Jog wheel good

Marker through to click - good Except: "DROP" seems to be zoning? It toggle drops the faders+blank display back to Global zone or thats how it looks..

Can I keep my zon and just replace the mst+Dylib to help test this? I've a stack of functions i know what to expect from in my own zon - no issue/no worries if not
Thanks for testing, glad to hear things are slowly returning to normal

Yup, usually you only need to change the dylib, no need to change the .mst or .zon files unless indicated -- matter of fact that rarely even happens now, the .mst and .zon formats have stabilized nicely for the most part
Old 05-18-2021, 03:19 AM   #1233
ivanmihaljevic

Quote:
I'm trying to make it so that when I touch a fader on my X-Touch the lower display switches from MCUTrackPanDisplay to TrackVolumeDisplay with no luck.

The other thing that bugs me is that I need to give the pan pot a good swirl to get it to move from the center position. Then I can use small adjustments. But if I start out with just one click to the left or right, it does nothing. Why?
For now I did this:
Code:
	Alt+DisplayLower|        TrackVolumeDisplay
And that allows me to temporarily switch what the display shows with the alt button. Actually it works quite elegantly for my needs because it switches the display on all tracks.

The pan pot thingy still bugs me a bit though.

I apologize in advance if I bomb you all with questions. I'm doing my best with the documentation and everything and I am figuring a lot of it out on my own, but I hope it's ok to ask when I get stuck like this
Old 05-18-2021, 05:00 AM   #1234
MixMonkey

Quote:

What am I doing wrong here?

Code:
Zone "Channel"
     TrackNavigator
     DisplayUpper|            TrackNameDisplay
     DisplayLower|            MCUTrackPanDisplay		 Rotary|
     TrackTouch+ DisplayLower|  TrackVolumeDisplay
     Rotary|                  MCUTrackPan								// [ (0.005,0.01,0.025,0.034,0.05) ]
     RecordArm|               TrackRecordArm
//     Control+RecordArm|       CycleTrackAutoMode
//     Shift+RecordArm|         Reaper         40495                         //Cycle track record monitor
     Solo|                    TrackSolo
     Mute|                    TrackMute
     Select|                  TrackUniqueSelect
     Shift+Select|            TrackRangeSelect
     Hold+Select|             TrackUniqueSelect
     Hold+Select|             Reaper 41665                            //Mixer: Toggle show tracks in folders in mixer
     Hold+Select|             TrackToggleVCASpill
     Shift+Control+Select|    TogglePin
     Fader|                   TrackVolume
     VUMeter|                 TrackOutputMeter
     TrackTouch+Fader|        TrackVolume
     FaderTouch|              TrackTouch
ZoneEnd
I thought it could be that the "FaderTouch" widget idea that I found in the documentation is deprecated (and not defined in my mst file), so I thought since the mst file defines "Touch" for each fader I could use that so I tried:

Code:
     Fader+DisplayLower|  TrackVolumeDisplay
But without any luck. So, can I make this work somehow?
I'm afraid that Touch is now only used in the context of automation and can't be used as a separate action, which is kind of a shame, I agree.
Quote:
This seems to be something within Reaper itself, we all have this issue

No problem with asking questions, that's why this thread exists
Old 05-18-2021, 06:38 AM   #1235
ivanmihaljevic

Quote:
I'm afraid that Touch is now only used in the context of automation and can't be used as a separate action, which is kind of a shame, I agree.
Ah, got it! Well, the way I've set things up now works quite well too.

Quote:
This seems to be something within Reaper itself, we all have this issue
Interesting! I was using the Klinke driver up to this point and that one doesn't suffer from it, so I wonder how he pulled it off. Not meaning to take anything away from CSI, this is obviously waaay more customizable and actually really amazing. FWIW, the DrivenByMoss driver also has the same issue.

Quote:
No problem with asking questions, that's why this thread exists
Awesome! So, I have one more
I've been spending the whole day playing with this thing today and figuring it out. One thing I don't get is how to get my X-Touch Extender to go into FX mode together with the main unit. I've made some plugin maps for my main X-Touch and it works great, but I'd like to use the rotaries on the Extender too. When I press the plugin button on X Touch, it goes into MapSelectedTrackFXToMenu, but the Extender does nothing. Selecting a plugin map makes the main X Touch open the map, but the map I created for the extender doesn't appear on it. The extender acts as if nothing happened.
In this case I'm mapping the Brainworx SSL4000E channel strip. I've mapped the EQ + filters to the main unit (using rotaries + push buttons + modifiers). I'd like to map the compressor + THD and some other stuff to the Extender.
The Extender doesn't have a plugin button of its own, so I'll have to somehow get it to react to the plugin button from the main unit. But how?
The original .zon file for the Extender had "OnTrackSelection MapSelectedTrackFXToMenu", but I don't want that to happen when I select a track. I want it to only happen when I press the Plugin button on the main X Touch unit.

And thanks so much for the help! Although I'm newly registered on this forum, I've been visiting it for years to look for Reaper related answers and it's such an amazing community!

Last edited by ivanmihaljevic; 05-18-2021 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:24 AM   #1236
MixMonkey

Quote:
I was using the Klinke driver up to this point and that one doesn't suffer from it, so I wonder how he pulled it off.
That's interesting, so not necessarily Reaper's fault then

Quote:
I've been spending the whole day playing with this thing today and figuring it out. One thing I don't get is how to get my X-Touch Extender to go into FX mode together with the main unit. I've made some plugin maps for my main X-Touch and it works great, but I'd like to use the rotaries on the Extender too. When I press the plugin button on X Touch, it goes into MapSelectedTrackFXToMenu, but the Extender does nothing. Selecting a plugin map makes the main X Touch open the map, but the map I created for the extender doesn't appear on it. The extender acts as if nothing happened.
In this case I'm mapping the Brainworx SSL4000E channel strip. I've mapped the EQ + filters to the main unit (using rotaries + push buttons + modifiers). I'd like to map the compressor + THD and some other stuff to the Extender.
The Extender doesn't have a plugin button of its own, so I'll have to somehow get it to react to the plugin button from the main unit. But how?
The original .zon file for the Extender had "OnTrackSelection MapSelectedTrackFXToMenu", but I don't want that to happen when I select a track. I want it to only happen when I press the Plugin button on the main X Touch unit.
What you need is a way to sync zone changes across surfaces. This would mean that the FX menu would appear on the X-Touch as it currently does, but when you select an FX (with GoFXSlot) it would retrieve an FX map for both the X-Touch and the extender, mapping widgets on both.

Currently CSI doesn't do this, but it is a much discussed feature and hopefully will be added soon.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:53 AM   #1237
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
What you need is a way to sync zone changes across surfaces. This would mean that the FX menu would appear on the X-Touch as it currently does, but when you select an FX (with GoFXSlot) it would retrieve an FX map for both the X-Touch and the extender, mapping widgets on both.

Currently CSI doesn't do this, but it is a much discussed feature and hopefully will be added soon.
Been thinking about this lately, is there any reasonable use case where you do not want to broadcast Zone loads to all surfaces ?
Old 05-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #1238
Funkybot

Would this be a valid concern? I've got two surfaces with FX mappings and only want the GoFXSlot driving loading the FX.zon on the MCU device, not any other surface. Might not be too common but I can see it being the case for someone out there. Like maybe someone's got a C4 and an MCU (both with FX maps) and sometimes they want to use the MCU instead of the C4.

Also, was progress ever made with FX Focus (or rather, with FX losing focus)? I may switch to an FXMenu if I can keep the menu on my tablet and broadcast the change to my Twister, but I'm not sold on that being the workflow for me as I'm just used to the hybrid mouse+controller approach of the FocusedFX navigator. I just keep hoping one day the lost focus issues will get resolved and recall seeing an API update note in a pre-release build a while back.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #1239
Navelpluisje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Been thinking about this lately, is there any reasonable use case where you do not want to broadcast Zone loads to all surfaces ?
To make it work for 99.9% of the users it could be a toggle in the page settings. So the user can decide to broadcast or not.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:33 PM   #1240
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Would this be a valid concern? I've got two surfaces with FX mappings and only want the GoFXSlot driving loading the FX.zon on the MCU device, not any other surface. Might not be too common but I can see it being the case for someone out there. Like maybe someone's got a C4 and an MCU (both with FX maps) and sometimes they want to use the MCU instead of the C4.
Yes, agree that GoFXSlot should stay local, was thinking about GoZone broadcasting to all surfaces, I'm finding it hard to imagine a use case where you want an FX on one surface sometimes and another at other times.

I think it's a sufficient outlier that we can say if you really need this use a Page based approach.

Quote:
Also, was progress ever made with FX Focus (or rather, with FX losing focus)? I may switch to an FXMenu if I can keep the menu on my tablet and broadcast the change to my Twister, but I'm not sold on that being the workflow for me as I'm just used to the hybrid mouse+controller approach of the FocusedFX navigator. I just keep hoping one day the lost focus issues will get resolved and recall seeing an API update note in a pre-release build a while back.
Just waiting to get ver 1.0 solid.

You're right the needed API is fairly recent, wanted to make sure that folks who want to hang back Reaper version-wise can still have a solid, fully featured product.

So once we have v1.0 a bit further along, thinking of starting a build for experimental stuff, as suggested, sort of a playground where we can try things like Focus out without affecting the main branch.