Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Live Use

Old 03-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #1
woodslanding
Human being with feelings

Default Settings to improve live performance with Reaper?

My current host for live work is Usine, and I have a live performance computer that has been custom built and thoroughly tweaked for low latency audio. With Usine, I run a mixer with 15 vsts, and can typically play 8-10 vstis ( a mixture of Reaktor, Kontakt, Keyscape, Synthmaster, etc, layered and controlled from two keyboards) running through 4 effect channels, at 128 samples, with my RME interface (with lots of playing and big chords) before I get dropouts. The CPU starts to cause clicks at about 39%, according to Usine's performance meter.

Under Reaper, once I get the 15 vsts loaded into tracks, I'm getting dropouts with just one instance of Reaktor playing a couple of notes! (although the other instruments are loaded and using processor, they are not playing any notes at all, and the reaktor instances don't even have ensembles loaded yet) and meanwhile Reaper's total CPU is registering barely 20%.

Are there any preference settings that might help this? I'm guessing that my routing is somehow keeping Reaper from making good use of multi-threading, but I'm not sure what to change. Does anyone have any tips on routing do's and dont's for live use? I know Usine is well adapted for multi-threading, but I expected Reaper to be as well.

I realize, I should bypass unused instruments, although I don't want to lose the tails of sounds when I turn off an instrument, so that's going to take some scripting--not sure exactly how to approach that. But still I feel like I shouldn't be seeing dropouts with Reaper working this little. (They are consistent clicks, not the occasional glitch from a bad driver or something.)

Any thoughts welcomed. I would really like to move to Reaper, as it is much more stable, and I like scripting in Lua much better than Delphi!

Windows 10, intel 5775c processor, Samsung M.2 NVME drives for OS and samples.

Last edited by woodslanding; 03-27-2021 at 09:06 PM.
woodslanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #2
Regisfofo

To get started, I'd say two things :

Avoid putting fx on Master track

Experiment with the buffer menu options regarding multiprocessoring live input, number of cores involved etc...

The cpu you want to look at is the RTCpu (real time cpu). If I remember correctly, it's an option within the cpu minitoring window. Better to keep it under 20% If you want no stutter at all, and it's always higher than the Cpu meter in my experience.

Last edited by Regisfofo; 03-28-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Regisfofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:55 AM   #3
Tiggerdyret

If you want to save processing power just use mute automate in combination with volume automation. Unmute in the automation lane and then fade the track in and out with the tail length you want and you can the mute the track again once the volume is at 0.
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 05:15 PM   #4
XITE-1/4LIVE

If you use a GFX card instead of the built in GPU it will turn the L4 (victim cache) into a cache used with your audio apps.

Your CPU isn’t locked but if overclocked will choke because the cache (ring buss) is stock @ 1800 MHz, and will clock up to 2200 MHz before choking, as it is tied to the CPU.

My 5775C is a spare to my i7, but works great @ stock 3.3GHz. No difference in performance to my i7’s.

But using a discrete GFX card makes all the difference.
I use an EVGA GTX 40 dollar dual monitor card.
I also use Bidule as a live host because it’s modular, and strictly for hosting instruments, no automation tracks needed. Hardware Sequencer handles that with synced lighting.
Old 04-22-2021, 03:34 AM   #5
mschnell

There are JSFXes that allow for "mute when volume down" in "real" live (not sequenced) application controlled by Midi.

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
woodslanding

wow, cool tip about the gpu. A lot cheaper than building a new computer, so I will definitely give it a go! Hope I can find a card small enough to fit. Might need a right-angle riser.... actually I already have one, from thinking about adding an RME pcie card!

Thanks!!

Bidule has been promising user gui widgets would be in version 1.0 since I stopped using it in 2006! What are they at now? v .99999998? :0
Old 05-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #7
woodslanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE View Post
If you use a GFX card instead of the built in GPU it will turn the L4 (victim cache) into a cache used with your audio apps.

I use an EVGA GTX 40 dollar dual monitor card.
I have never bought a video card. Is there some minimum requirement I should look for in this application? I've heard that some folks have had issues with nvidia cards wiith audio...

Well, I'll scout around anyway.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:46 AM   #8
woodslanding

found this for $38 on ebay used. we'll see how it works.

Asus 2GB DDR3 R5230-SL-2GD3-L Radeon R5 230 2gb Video Graphics Card