Old 05-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
eisenfarn
Human being with feelings

Default Set Custom Colors?

Hi, how can I set up the custom colours please, if I right click on a track, Track color, SWS track color, all the 16 colours are black. Can I change these?

Thanks
eisenfarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:29 AM   #2
exidus

In SWS Track Color menu (where you clicked) the last entry is Show color management There is where you define the colors.

::::::: My Mixcloud Page ::::::: EFMod_JN Theme :::::::
exidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:16 AM   #3
Pet

In addition to exidus, in that SWS color management window you can save the color set to a file or load sets. The extension is *.SWSColor. There are also some in the stash.
But by default they are empty, that's why they look black.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:27 AM   #4
eisenfarn

Thank you, I didnt realise you could change the colourso the pallette!
eisenfarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:49 AM   #5
hopi

well that is sort of the point of the SWS colors ... that you can create and save your own color palattes of 16 colors... and you can make as many of them as you like and then load them into the SWS colors at will...

just a thought... you might like to get something like a 'color picker' program or use some online tools to pick a set of colors, note down their numeric values and use that to create your various palates.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #6
lowerbout

Just an aside, I tried several different color sets and in the end I'm using the most basic RGB 6 colors. I repeated the six colors up to 16 on my palette I haven't touched it since. For some reason the basic colors look really good to me in Reaper.

Last edited by lowerbout; 05-05-2017 at 08:26 AM.
lowerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #7
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowerbout View Post
Just an aside, I tried several different color sets and in the end I'm using the most basic RGB 6 colors. I repeated the six colors up to 16 on my palette I haven't touched it since. For some reason the basic colors look really good to me in Reaper.
Color rendition depends to a large extent on the theme in use.

A pure, bright color in one theme may appear very dull in another. Hence the need for various colorsets.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:20 AM   #8
djabthrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
Color rendition depends to a large extent on the theme in use.

A pure, bright color in one theme may appear very dull in another. Hence the need for various colorsets.
Hi !

Can you be more specific about that ?

My colors (especially the ones i defined in SWS Autocolor-icon) were fine in Reaper theme V5, but once i jumped to Reaper theme V6, they all changed to something very ugly to me.

How i can go back to the colors of my Reaper V5 theme ?
djabthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #9
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by djabthrash View Post
My colors (especially the ones i defined in SWS Autocolor-icon) were fine in Reaper theme V5, but once i jumped to Reaper theme V6, they all changed to something very ugly to me.
In Default_5.0 theme, many of the images have less transparency than in Default_6.0 theme, so the same selected colors come through stronger in latter. Following topic has panel images with different transparencies, so you could try swapping some of them. Modding the custom colour intensity on the V6 Track Control Panels

Other option of course being to edit and save a new color set for the Default_6.0 theme.

Last edited by xpander; 05-05-2021 at 02:48 AM. Reason: missed auto color feature
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:57 AM   #10
djabthrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
In Default_5.0 theme, many of the images have less transparency than in Default_6.0 theme, so the same selected colors come through stronger in latter. Following topic has panel images with different transparencies, so you could try swapping some of them. Modding the custom colour intensity on the V6 Track Control Panels

Other option of course being to edit and save a new color set for the Default_6.0 theme.
Thanks a lot ! That makes perfect sense now that i think about it (my colors are the same, but their appearance on my screen changes because of the features of the graphics these colors are applied to : buttons, etc).

By the way, can you be a more specific about the following part ? :

"Other option of course being to edit and save a new color set for the Default_6.0 theme."
Old 05-05-2021, 02:47 AM   #11
xpander

Quote:
By the way, can you be a more specific about the following part ? :
"Other option of course being to edit and save a new color set for the Default_6.0 theme."
Wups, sorry about that. Reading through the topic initially, SWS colors stuck on my mind. But I missed that you were talking about SWS auto color feature, not the SWS custom colors where you can save and load different color sets.

Using the the same rules and filters in auto color, it's really not possible to get different colors based on themes.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #12
djabthrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
Using the the same rules and filters in auto color, it's really not possible to get different colors based on themes.
Thanks for the answer.

Just to be sure, did you mean :

"with the same autocolor setting, colors should look the same from one theme to another" (which is clearly not the case on my V6 vs v5, due to the transparency difference of the elements of each theme i guess)

or

"they will look different indeed, but you can't do much about it (besides changing the image characteristics (transparency, etc) to resemble those from the previous theme)"

?
Old 05-06-2021, 09:38 AM   #13
xpander

Quote:
"they will look different indeed, but you can't do much about it (besides changing the image characteristics (transparency, etc) to resemble those from the previous theme)"
If using SWS auto color feature exclusively, I'm afraid this is what you might have to do if you want them to look closer to what you want.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:57 PM   #14
djabthrash

Thanks !
Old 05-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #15
babag

i've noticed a similar thing but always just put off asking about it.

i have a series of template projects that i made way back in v4 which i still use, though i'm on reaper 6 now. here's an image of part of a template:

the tcp colors look perfectly normal here. when i look at them in a color picker, though, they come up looking black. the values, however, do reflect the color cast. they're just so low that they appear black, numbers like r2, g8, b3. i just made those up but that's the kind of range they're in. not like r50, g 255, b75. i assume this is because of the transparency setting in the v4 theme. is that right? where is that set? how do i find it so i can play with it. the current theme adjuster script doesn't have anything labeled as transparency. its adjustments seem more general. obviously, theming is far from a forte of mine.

thanks,
babag
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #16
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag View Post
i assume this is because of the transparency setting in the v4 theme. is that right? where is that set? how do i find it so i can play with it.
White Tie has a good topic about the coloring here; Custom colouring for Themers

Just shortly, if your theme is from the Reaper v4 period or earlier and not modded later, it uses the legacy coloring.