Old 05-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
klong
Human being with feelings

Default Status of Reaper in 4k / retina ?

I've read through a number of threads but am interested to know if Reaper will be able to utilize a 4k monitor or a Retina display properly anytime soon.

I've discovered the hiDPI themes such as this one https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187123 , which does make a marked difference in most of the UI elements.

Several parts of the UI are still blurry however, What is funny is that the Reaper website and 'favico' graphic are also quite blurry.

I realize this does not effect anything to do with audio etc but it does impact the user experience.

P.S. I'm on an older retina MBP and use LG 4k monitor via mini-displayport.
klong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
ivansc

have you tried the pre version 6 default theme that White Tie has pre`d in the pre-release subforum?
Old 05-31-2019, 04:17 PM   #3
MaXyM

try this one: https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=219391
Or at least read about it, it might provide you some overview about HiDPI related issues.
MaXyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
klong

hmm, I guess what I really want to know is if any near-future release of Reaper will have support for 4k/retina "out of box". Not just the UI elements that are image-based, but also the ruler markers etc which arent currently low-res.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #5
klong

sorry but .. bump ..
Old 06-16-2019, 07:50 PM   #6
klong

Quote:
Originally Posted by klong View Post
hmm, I guess what I really want to know is if any near-future release of Reaper will have support for 4k/retina "out of box". Not just the UI elements that are image-based, but also the ruler markers etc which arent currently low-res.
I'm sorry to bump this *yet again* but I'm surprised to not be able to find a solution for this. The ruler bars, grid, marker area etc, are all very grainy on 4k/retina. Is there no solution?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
klong

WELL this appears to be FIXED in the latest pre-release. Maybe all my whining helped somehow? Doubt it, but thanks devs !
Old 06-19-2019, 10:56 PM   #8
brainwreck

Only problem with 4k is plugin developers not supporting it. And lots of existing plugins will likely never get 4k support. But to me 4k is worth it for text clarity alone. I could care less about video and gaming at 4k. Both look just fine to me at lower resolutuons, even on a 4k monitor.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:59 PM   #9
MaXyM

But the situation is gettong better. Even I have feeling that it speeds up recently (Surge, BluArp).
On Windows, in case of plugins which don't support scaling, you can run them in bridged mode. Then they ware scaled by the operating system. yeah, such GUI looks blurred a bit but it's better than nothing.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #10
maralatho

I've never been able to get any of the VST bridging/firewalling settings to affect the size of my tiny plug-ins. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Hints?
maralatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:27 AM   #11
MaXyM

IMO it always worked to me like this. If I run plugin in separate or dedicated process it's being run bridged. The condition is, feature of embedding bridged GUI cannot be active.

And of course you need to have to have some scale set in Windows. Reaper is set to HiDPI more: Aware but I'm don't know it it does matter since bridged plugin GUI is not controlled by Reaper anymore.