Old 01-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #1
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Default New Song - Slinky Walk

This is a new project with a couple of changes from my previous music. I recorded the bass through a real amp, where I previously used a hardware amp sim. Also I'm using my new set of Sennheiser E604s on toms and snare for a total of 7 drum mics now.

I'm playing bass, drums, guitar, keys, and singing all the vocals.
My bandmate of 45 years, Dave T. is on additional guitars and playing in all the solo spots.

I call this one "Slinky Walk" at:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14184381
-
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #2
zeekat

At current pace we're aiming at ending the pandemic in 2025 here. So I think I'll spent the next four years of the lockdown learning how to fake those amazing sounding tom fills, those never want to sound good programmed despite having gigabytes of round robins in drum libraries.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
At current pace we're aiming at ending the pandemic in 2025 here. So I think I'll spent the next four years of the lockdown learning how to fake those amazing sounding tom fills, those never want to sound good programmed despite having gigabytes of round robins in drum libraries.
Thanks Z, I had to do a lot of tom fills to try out my new Sennheiser mics!

I told my buddy Dave T. to bring whatever guitar he wanted or he could play any of mine, and he wanted to play the 1966 Epiphone SG Pro I bought to tweak around with. He played it a week ago and was real impressed with how nice it plays and sounds.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
karbomusic

Sounds great.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Sounds great.
Thanks Karbo!
Old 01-25-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
karbomusic

I posted three a few weeks ago, some of my best friends here missed them all (or they were so terrible they didn't want to hurt my feelings).
Old 01-25-2021, 07:04 PM   #7
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I posted three a few weeks ago, some of my best friends here missed them all (or they were so terrible they didn't want to hurt my feelings).
I just played 'em. I don't keep up in here as much as I'd like to. I really liked the groove on "Must be something". Skanky to resolve then back to skanky!

BTW, all the guitar tracks on this song of mine are using the inexpensive Epiphone SG I recently bought. It's incredibly fun to play. So much so that when I asked my guitar buddy Dave if he wanted to bring one of his guitars he came back with a loud and resounding NO, I want to play your new SG, and he has some really fine guitars to choose from.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:30 PM   #8
karbomusic

All good, sounds like fun!
Old 01-26-2021, 08:51 AM   #9
toleolu

Nice groove there Glenn, love that SG.

I can't think of anyone who has an Epiphone and doesn't like it. I'm keeping an eye out for an Epiphone Les Paul on Craigslist. Don't need one, just want one.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Nice groove there Glenn, love that SG.
Thanks Toleolu.

Quote:
I can't think of anyone who has an Epiphone and doesn't like it. I'm keeping an eye out for an Epiphone Les Paul on Craigslist. Don't need one, just want one.
I wasn't expecting the level of quality I got. It feels and plays like other $1000+ guitars I have in the studio, but I only paid $350 for it on sale. I was somewhat surprised that my guitar buddy chose it over one of his own guitars. He usually brings something he's played a lot and is comfortable with, but he had played the Epiphone SG a week earlier and told me straight up "I want to play your new SG on the track". Wish I could play it like he does.

Rambling bullshit since this is my thread . . .

The guitar player Dave T. was a rival drummer when we were in high school, but then he started playing guitar better than the guitar players we were working with at the time.

I got in a touring country band right out of high school and the first week out, our bassist quit, so I called Dave and asked him if he thought he could play bass.

He borrowed a bass and amp and got hired on the spot with my band. This Wolf Mountain Weekend outdoor concert with Freddy Fender, Jerry Reed, Hoyt Axton, Nicolette Larson, Crystal Gayle, Asleep At The Wheel, and David Allen Coe among others was one of the first gigs we played together in the country band.

https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Mountain.../dp/1514111438

The guy who fronted the band Dave and I played in had three gold records and five number 1 hits, but he wasn't as big of a name as most of the other acts at that concert.

We toured together for the next seven years, and by the end of it in 1982 Dave was the keyboard player with a giant stack of keyboards. Since then he and I have been in several other long running bands, but are now both retired and do stuff like this song for kicks when we can find the time.

Edit: More trivia . . .

I already had this pic uploaded here, but the Tascam on the left was mine and the Teac 3340 on the right was Dave's from around the same time as the other pic.

Last edited by Glennbo; 07-02-2022 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:47 PM   #11
Time Waster

You lucky bastard. I had (still have) a Tascam 4 track. Used to dream of having an 8 track!
Old 01-26-2021, 08:46 PM   #12
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Waster View Post
You lucky bastard. I had (still have) a Tascam 4 track. Used to dream of having an 8 track!
Hehe, that was my little starter 8 track. Both Boston and Kansas used the 1/2" Tascams.

I traded that machine and a Tascam Model 3 mixer towards this Ampex 1" and Carvin MX1688 about a year later.

Edit: I had caught the multi-track bug real intensely, and was doing stuff like getting two weeks vacation pay, without taking a vacation to help pay for the Tascam that I used as a down payment for the Ampex.

Last edited by Glennbo; 01-26-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:12 AM   #13
Mr. PC

I'm liking the solo

First time I'm seeing this SoundClick website. Seems more of a Bandcamp alternative than a SoundCloud.
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #14
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
I'm liking the solo
Thanks Albert. The solos are played by my bandmate of 45 years. I posted a little bit of our musical history together a few posts back.

Quote:
First time I'm seeing this SoundClick website. Seems more of a Bandcamp alternative than a SoundCloud.
They were around long before BandCamp. I became a member when they first setup shop back in 1997.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundClick
Old 02-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #15
SSteward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
This is a new project with a couple of changes from my previous music. I recorded the bass through a real amp, where I previously used a hardware amp sim. Also I'm using my new set of Sennheiser E604s on toms and snare for a total of 7 drum mics now.

I'm playing bass, drums, guitar, keys, and singing all the vocals.
My bandmate of 45 years, Dave T. is on additional guitars and playing in all the solo spots.

I call this one "Slinky Walk" at:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=14184381
-
Not familiar with soundclick as a site. Lot of people use this now? Regardless, taking a listen.

Not a bad tune, very groovey. The beginning it was a little difficult to understand what was being sung, but I picked it up as it went along. Sounds really quite good. Good mixing and definitely love that it is real drums being played(I use Superior Drummer and while great, you can tell the difference)
SSteward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:14 PM   #16
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteward View Post
Not familiar with soundclick as a site. Lot of people use this now? Regardless, taking a listen.
They've been around so long the format they started out with was Real Audio. I've been with them that long, but other sites are more well known now.

Quote:
Not a bad tune, very groovey. The beginning it was a little difficult to understand what was being sung, but I picked it up as it went along. Sounds really quite good. Good mixing and definitely love that it is real drums being played(I use Superior Drummer and while great, you can tell the difference)
Thanks! Real drums are still evolving for me. I used to exclusively use a Roland V-Drums pad kit and Superior Drummer 2 for my drums.

This was one of the last tracks I did using Superior and my pad kit.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/son...ongID=13599780

Old 02-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #17
tspring

I listened to this a while back and didn't have time to comment then. Cool song, Well performed and produced. Tasty guitar parts. The whole thing reminds me a lot of the Steve Miller Band from some years back, which is a good thing as they playes some very catchy music. Well done.

T
tspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:03 AM   #18
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspring View Post
I listened to this a while back and didn't have time to comment then. Cool song, Well performed and produced. Tasty guitar parts. The whole thing reminds me a lot of the Steve Miller Band from some years back, which is a good thing as they playes some very catchy music. Well done.

T
Thanks T.

Dave and I have been recording together since 1973.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:15 PM   #19
Stinger

Just listened and liked Slinky Walk, but actually liked the next one up (about lockdown) better....kind of a funky/jazz feel, with a little easy/breezy mixed in, but you managed to make it all work well together.

And really like the picture....takes me back to the days when bands played in shopping center parking lots, McDonalds etc., or just about anyplace with room enough for people to gather around...
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #20
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
Just listened and liked Slinky Walk, but actually liked the next one up (about lockdown) better....kind of a funky/jazz feel, with a little easy/breezy mixed in, but you managed to make it all work well together.
Thanks Stinger. Lockdown has become even more fun with a foot of snow, minus 14 degrees temps, and rolling blackouts. I'll need to write a part two about that.

Quote:
And really like the picture....takes me back to the days when bands played in shopping center parking lots, McDonalds etc., or just about anyplace with room enough for people to gather around...
That was when my guitarist buddy Dave and I were in our last year of high school. We went on tour about six months after that.