Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #1
Boogieshoes
Human being with feelings

Default Recording With a Backing Media file.

As a solo player here I am trying to find a way to help my playing as much as anything, so I want to use a backing track to play along with. Being self critical means this would be a way to find out where my playing is good/bad in as gentle a way as possible... and without inflicting others in an intoward way .

Easy part is insert a Track and insert a media file for the backing to that track. I can set this to play back and setup a second track to record what I play to accompany that backing.

Here are the questions.

1. Can I monitor my playing at the same time (for electric guitar) by switching 'Record Monitor' On ?

2. Is there anything I need to do to address any latency between the backing track and my recording over and above the Loopback latency fix Kenny Gioa presents in his video?

3. Can I record the 'dry' guitar that way and still monitor with a VST Fx ?

You would think that I should have simply tried things but my setup is quite an effort to get sorted to try these things for space and workroom so I have to try and plan ahead as it all has to be packed away after, hence I am asking before I do to try and save some creativity time.

Thanks for any help from those that have done this.

Phil
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #2
zeekat

1) yep
2) there's a chance you won't even have do that fix, some drivers might report latency correct enough you might as well leave the default auto ("use driver reported latency") setting on
3) yep, it's basically the default way of using effects (called "output fx"), dry signal is recorded but you still hear it processed.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
martmix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogieshoes View Post

2. Is there anything I need to do to address any latency between the backing track and my recording over and above the Loopback latency fix Kenny Gioa presents in his video?Phil
what it is your soundcard?
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
Boogieshoes

Thank you both Zeekat and MartMix.

Zeeket, forgive me but I'm not fully sorted on FX use in a DAW environment so not sure about what is recorded, as in, pre or post vst as I think both options are possible if I knew fully what I were doing. I am sure I'll get there but I am a bit slow. I did find 13 samples difference when I did the latency loopback test so barely any difference. The PC I am using is 12 yrs old and core2 duo cpu on windows 7 with 4gb ram so not a rocket ship .

Martmix, I am intending on using an Octa-Capture. Thank you, you popped a reply in the general discussions area to my post on latencies which on reflection I should have posted in this noobs area really so as not to pollute the more serious and tech discussions of others. Hence I asked the questions here.

When I last attempted stuff, back in 2009, I was using a line 6 pod xtlive and the pod did the amp simulations but things moved on and I was given an octa-capture to try which also gives midi access for a novation impulse 25 keyboard that I'm hoping will help with other things. These days I pick up an acoustic guitar more than anything so again the octa-capture is, I hope better suited, to using microphones for these too.

Anyway thats all a bit ahead of things. Back in 2009 FenderPick forum was going still and it was working with some cool folks on there that started the Reaper idea before my work obliterated fun times and guitar for long while. An accident shattering my right hand nearly 5 yrs ago has also set things back a bit (understatement). So I'm back and trying it all again.

Thank you again.
Phil
Old 01-25-2021, 05:50 PM   #5
martmix

Quote:

Martmix, I am intending on using an Octa-Capture. Thank you, you popped a reply in the general discussions area to my post on latencies which on reflection I should have posted in this noobs area really so as not to pollute the more serious and tech discussions of others. Hence I asked the questions here.
im using a quad-capture(roland)
my buffer size is set to 128sample,so that i can record with about no latency (with plugin also)
martmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:26 AM   #6
zeekat

Quote:
Zeeket, forgive me but I'm not fully sorted on FX use in a DAW environment so not sure about what is recorded, as in, pre or post vst as I think both options are possible if I knew fully what I were doing. I am sure I'll get there but I am a bit slow. I did find 13 samples difference when I did the latency loopback test so barely any difference. The PC I am using is 12 yrs old and core2 duo cpu on windows 7 with 4gb ram so not a rocket ship .
Obvious, visible FX button is like I said - dry signal gets recorded. To have an effect baked in recording takes some extra effort (quickest is called "input fx" and it's hidden somewhere under right click). 13 samples off (0,2msec at 44.100kHz) is indeed nothing to worry about IMO. My interface is a bit over 100 samples off and I admit I didn't notice when if removed the correction by mistake at some point.

Have fun with the recording!

Last edited by zeekat; 01-26-2021 at 03:38 AM. Reason: units!
zeekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:03 AM   #7
Boogieshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by martmix View Post
im using a quad-capture(roland)
my buffer size is set to 128sample,so that i can record with about no latency (with plugin also)
I have 256 buffer but did not find that changing it made any difference but as yet I haven't tried to do anything of any With playing back one track whilst recording to a second. I suspect this is where my rather old PC will show up its limitations.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:13 AM   #8
Boogieshoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post

Have fun with the recording!
Thank you. Very helpful info Zeekat and very kind to be so detailled. The scale and scope of Reaper is so vast that there are probably many ways to do what we want. It can seem a bit too complicated and it is easy to be put off when you hit a problem or something you can't understand.

I certainly hope to get to grips with Reaper, hopefully I won't be put off to easily.

Phil