Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #1
markhw
Human being with feelings

Default Using Sigabort 'MidiSynth' software as VST

I'm trying to use Sigabort's MidiSynth software as a patch browser and librarian for my Novation Summit synth. (The software page is here https://sigabort.co/midisynth.html.)

Works great in standalone mode but I'm having an issue opening as VST. When I load into track FX as VST I get the message

"Unable to open MIDI in & MIDI out. As Windows MIDI drivers are not multi-client, MIDISynth will not be able to connect if your DAW has the MIDI ports open at startup."

How can I best handle this when opening Reaper to allow MidiSynth to access to MIDI ports? I looked at the Reaper manual and couldn't find the answer. I am able to open MidiSynth in standalone mode, then open Reaper and things work pretty well. But there are some features of the software I can't use because it's not open as VST within Reaper. Any pointers would be much appreciated!
markhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
b2001

What do you have in preferences/midi devices?

I have 3 midi inputs (all with different ids) and 4 midi outputs (again all with different ids)
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
domzy

sounds like the MIDI connection to the Summit is already in use by Reaper, so can't be used by the plugin?
If so, that's an interesting conundrum - implying you can only use the plugin for editing when the port is disabled in preferences?

Maybe do some routing with virtual MIDI cables like loopBe or copperLAN to save constant enabling / disabling of the MIDI port
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:09 PM   #4
markhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2001 View Post
What do you have in preferences/midi devices?

I have 3 midi inputs (all with different ids) and 4 midi outputs (again all with different ids)
I have quite a few MIDI inputs and outputs because I use several different devices. But I'm not sure that this really matters...? It seems clear MidiSynth is saying something more broadly applicable about Reaper registering as the sole MIDI client for Windows at startup, and this blocks MidiSynth from working. I'm not all that savvy about the MIDI back end in Reaper (or Windows) so I don't know what to do to disable MIDI in Reaper upon startup as the default so I can load MidiSynth as VST before enabling Reaper's midi. At least, that's how I'm interpreting this messaging.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:22 PM   #5
b2001

Without a doubt this could be over my head in understanding...

What I was trying to get at :

I have a midisport 2x2; it shows up in midi devices in Reaper as two separate midi input and output devices with separate ids. I take that to mean they are separate midi ports...

I first thought that midisynth was specifically tied to your summit but I can see that it can be used with several synths. I looked at its user manual; didn’t see anything off hand.

It seems that the synth is trying to use an already existing midi port id; I struggled to understand how to overcome this; assumed an installation process would handle this.

Having said that; my understanding could be all wrong on all of this...

Edit (midisynth manual):

“Windows doesn’t have multi-client MIDI drivers and the synth only provides a single USB MIDI input/output, so you’ll need to ensure nothing else is connected to synth when using the editor.
This also extends to using the VST inside a host – please make sure that the host doesn’t open the synth MIDI input/output, or any MIDI port used for controller input (see your host documentation for how to set this up). You can still send data to the synth through the plugin by enabling the MIDI Thru option (see section 3.1.8)”

3.18 (midi thru):

“Select this to process note in information from the DAW – this should be selected when a host sequencer (e.g. Live) is being used to send MIDI information to the synth.”

Might play around with this...

Last edited by b2001; 01-27-2021 at 01:54 PM.
b2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:00 PM   #6
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhw View Post
I don't know what to do to disable MIDI in Reaper upon startup as the default so I can load MidiSynth as VST before enabling Reaper's midi. At least, that's how I'm interpreting this messaging.
i would try -
open Reaper, go to preferences / MIDI devices & disable the Summit entry.
(then maybe try closing & re-opening Reaper)
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:33 PM   #7
markhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
i would try -
open Reaper, go to preferences / MIDI devices & disable the Summit entry.
(then maybe try closing & re-opening Reaper)
This did it! Didn't need to even restart Reaper. I actually feel pretty foolish for not trying this before... But regardless, many thanks to both of you domzy and b2001 for being good samaritans and chiming in to help out.

For anyone else with a Peak or Summit - if you're wondering if MidiSynth is worth it (it is surprisingly expensive) it is extremely useful for analyzing patches and quickly understanding all the parameter settings and modulations going on. There are also some cool morphing, randomization, and performance features. If you're solely building new patches from scratch, maybe not as useful.