Old 05-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #1
F-Rott
Human being with feelings

Default Upgrade = Completely screwed.

So I decided to download the new 4.62 version so it would stop bothering me every time I boot up Reaper, and my ASIO settings are completely screwed now. I had it set up perfectly, and now after downloading and installing the update, the latency is back and I can NOT get it to go away after messing with it for the past few hours.

Thanks, Obama.

And THANKS, Reaper for completely breaking my settings into tiny useless pieces.

Is there ANY way to fix this?
F-Rott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
F-Rott

I found a torrent of the previous version. Hopefully degrading will fix this.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
lachrimae

Preferences -> General -> Uncheck 'Automatically check for new versions of REAPER on startup'

Non torrent older downloads http://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
F-Rott

Thanks, but I think the damage is done. I can't get the latency to go away, and I've tried several different things. Going into my Control Panel Devices, Re-installing the new Reaper, Uninstalling and Re-installing Reaper and ASIO4ALL, now installing the previous version. STILL has half-second latency. I'm not sure how I had it that way before and it worked, but it just simply won't do it now.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
F-Rott

Default SOLUTION!

My wife has solved my problem.

Start menu ->
Programs ->
REAPER ->
REAPER (reset configuration to factory defaults)

Must have been something in the new download? It worked fine until I downloaded and installed the new version.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Rott View Post
Thanks, but I think the damage is done. I can't get the latency to go away, and I've tried several different things. Going into my Control Panel Devices, Re-installing the new Reaper, Uninstalling and Re-installing Reaper and ASIO4ALL, now installing the previous version. STILL has half-second latency. I'm not sure how I had it that way before and it worked, but it just simply won't do it now.
That's odd because updating Reaper is simply copying the new Reaper.app file over the old one. Preference settings do not get changed by this.

Yes I know... it's all fun in theory...

Anyway, what was your disc buffer size you were running with before (the value you entered into the 'request block size' field in Preferences/Audio/Device)?

Are you saying that the same value now results in higher latency?

Do this real quick:
Just type in the same value (so the 'apply' button un-grays) and hit apply.

Still the same?

Can you at least increase and decrease your latency by going back and forth with disc buffer values? (Even if the lowest value you can get stable operation with is now still too high for latency)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
bluzkat

Default For safety's sake...

Please don't download Reaper anywhere except from the Reaper site !!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #8
Sambo Rouge

Like he said.

I've been downloading for years, never a problem.

So often I hear people blame Reaper for self-inflicted problems.
Sambo Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
F-Rott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo Rouge View Post
Like he said.

I've been downloading for years, never a problem.

So often I hear people blame Reaper for self-inflicted problems.
The only problem I inflicted upon myself was downloading a new update. I did absolutely NOTHING different, changed no settings before downloading. After the installation of the new Reaper came latency, which was fixed oddly enough by going into the Start Menu and resetting everything to factory defaults, (which by the way, can apparently ONLY be done through the Start Menu, because it doesn't show up in the program OR the program's folder.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
serr

Quote:
The only problem I inflicted upon myself was downloading a new update. I did absolutely NOTHING different, changed no settings before downloading. After the installation of the new Reaper came latency, which was fixed oddly enough by going into the Start Menu and resetting everything to factory defaults, (which by the way, can apparently ONLY be done through the Start Menu, because it doesn't show up in the program OR the program's folder.
Well... can you answer my questions above? That's kind of the starting point for answering "what happened?"

What was the disc buffer size you set and haven't since changed? Is it still like you set it? Does it still directly affect your latency as expected (even if it appears 'offset' from where your latency used to be)?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #11
F-Rott

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Well... can you answer my questions above? That's kind of the starting point for answering "what happened?"

What was the disc buffer size you set and haven't since changed? Is it still like you set it? Does it still directly affect your latency as expected (even if it appears 'offset' from where your latency used to be)?
I never touched the disc buffer size. It was at its default the entire time, (I believe 1200ms and prebuffer of 100%). I didn't touch the buffer settings. The way I got it to work long ago was ASIO4ALL settings. Those are about the only settings I've ever messed with.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #12
serr

Quote:
I never touched the disc buffer size. It was at its default the entire time, (I believe 1200ms and prebuffer of 100%). I didn't touch the buffer settings. The way I got it to work long ago was ASIO4ALL settings. Those are about the only settings I've ever messed with.
That's the playback buffer and it does not affect latency.

What is the value you entered into the 'request block size' field in Preferences/Audio/Device? This is your disc buffer and the thing that directly controls the latency you run with?

If you've never intentionally set this, I would suggest that there's your problem. As for why something would change that you never intentionally touched... probably missing too much data to reconstruct that scenario. But anyway, this is step one with any DAW. You set your disc buffer higher for stable operation with lots of tracks in post production or lower to achieve low latency for running live sound or live performance. If you need to do both (high horsepower + low latency), that's when the SSD's and premium computers are needed.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
F-Rott

Quote:
That's the playback buffer and it does not affect latency.

What is the value you entered into the 'request block size' field in Preferences/Audio/Device? This is your disc buffer and the thing that directly controls the latency you run with?

If you've never intentionally set this, I would suggest that there's your problem. As for why something would change that you never intentionally touched... probably missing too much data to reconstruct that scenario. But anyway, this is step one with any DAW. You set your disc buffer higher for stable operation with lots of tracks in post production or lower to achieve low latency for running live sound or live performance. If you need to do both (high horsepower + low latency), that's when the SSD's and premium computers are needed.
I had it set at its defaults. 44100 and 256. Boxes are and were unchecked. Have made plenty of multi-tracked songs earlier with no problems. After download, I armed a track, set my track monitoring to ON and noticed input lag. No matter how I tweaked and set my settings after that, nothing worked. The only thing that worked was resetting configuration to defaults, and that was tricky to find.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
serr

Quote:
I had it set at its defaults. 44100 and 256. Boxes are and were unchecked. Have made plenty of multi-tracked songs earlier with no problems. After download, I armed a track, set my track monitoring to ON and noticed input lag. No matter how I tweaked and set my settings after that, nothing worked. The only thing that worked was resetting configuration to defaults, and that was tricky to find.
Come to terms with the fact that you missed an early and important 'getting started' setup step. Who knows what the value in use was if you had it on default and autopilot. Check the box first of all and then start playing with different values. Use multiples of 64 or 32 samples. Change it, hit apply, and watch your latency track along with it.

This really is supposed to be step one with any DAW. You got lucky that sound was coming out the other end well enough when you first took it out of the box and skipped over that bit of tech.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 AM   #15
F-Rott

Quote:
Come to terms with the fact that you missed an early and important 'getting started' setup step. Who knows what the value in use was if you had it on default and autopilot. Check the box first of all and then start playing with different values. Use multiples of 64 or 32 samples. Change it, hit apply, and watch your latency track along with it.

This really is supposed to be step one with any DAW. You got lucky that sound was coming out the other end well enough when you first took it out of the box and skipped over that bit of tech.
Sorry. I'll just agree to disagree.

A simple update when the app is previously working perfectly should not completely break the app and make it essentially useless. I'm just glad my wife found the solution on another forum, because apparently there are a lot of issues with latency and Reaper upgrades once you start looking around.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:55 AM   #16
karbomusic

Quote:

A simple update when the app is previously working perfectly should not completely break the app and make it essentially useless. I'm just glad my wife found the solution on another forum, because apparently there are a lot of issues with latency and Reaper upgrades once you start looking around.
I agree with you...

Hate to see you had this unusual yet frustrating issue. If it helps, I have never, ever seen what you just experienced and I've ran most every update since early 2009. Reaper isn't typically going to change anything unless something with the underlying hardware config changed and it doesn't know what to do but that would still be there even without an update. Now...

Something that may help you in the future is that you can install Reaper "as portable" to a folder and test it out and never affect the main install. You can also from within preferences Import/Export the entire config for safe keeping which should also prevent this in the future.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-14-2014 at 11:05 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
DarkStar

Quote:
That's never happened here either. A Reaper install does NOT change the various .ini files. Once you have got your set-up configured as you want, perhaps ZIP up all the Reaper .ini files into a back-up (you can get to them by clicking [Options] >> "Show Reaper resources ..." (the folder or files may be "hidden" in Windows).

Can you please post the links to those issues with latency and Reaper upgrades so that the devs can investigate?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #18
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
That's never happened here either. A Reaper install does NOT change the various .ini files. Once you have got your set-up configured as you want, perhaps ZIP up all the Reaper .ini files into a back-up (you can get to them by clicking [Options] >> "Show Reaper resources ..." (the folder or files may be "hidden" in Windows).

Can you please post the links to those issues with latency and Reaper upgrades so that the devs can investigate?
Doesn't Export Configuration pick those up automatically?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #19
DarkStar

Yep, that would do it too.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
serr

Quote:

Sorry you're having a frustrating time and I don't mean to be dismissive. I use many different interfaces and run Reaper at a couple different latencies depending on if I'm running live sound or doing heavy studio post work.

Setting the latency to me is like setting the volume on the stereo. If I updated my "stereo" (work with me here) and the volume reset to zero, I would just say "Oh, volumes turned down." and turn it up. You set your volume control differently all the time anyway.

If you've never seen a stereo system with a volume control before, you just might say it's broken and not even look for the control.

Anyway, while I can't reconstruct what led you to this system change, I can offer a starting point to you and suggest you get familiar with your disc buffer and how it controls your system latency.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #21
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Yep, that would do it too.
Thanks man for the sanity check, just wanted to make sure I wasn't dishing out bad advice.