Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-29-2019, 10:39 AM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default Mid/Side Mic leslie sound

I love the leslie guitar effect. I use the Strymon Lex through my main amp. I've tried just miking the amp with a single mic. That was a little thin, but it worked okay.

I've tried a stereo amp setup with a mic on each amp plus a room mic. That also worked okay, but it was really wide. Almost too full a sound.

I tried the Mid/Side technique with a figure 8 ribbon mic and SM57. I recorded two tracks: the 57 is the mid mic, the ribbon the sides. Once I'm done tracking, I copied the sides track and flipped the polarity of the first sides track.

These I put in a folder/buss. The side tracks are panned hard left and right; the mid is panned centre. Should I use stereo pan on the buss?

Also, I looked at the phase of the 57 and ribbon mics, which were out of phase with each other. Should I have flipped the phase of the 57, even though I flipped the sides track?

I could've also used the mid/side encode/decode, but that's more confusing for some reason. Thoughts?