Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 05-03-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
read
Human being with feelings

Default how can i recreate this bass sound in this song at 1:08

how can i recreate this bass sound in this song at 1:08

also at 1:29 does the bass sound become something else? Or is it buried underneath that other bass kinda sound i'm hearing....Or is it just this bass sound filtered at 1:08

basically i was trying to go through all bass sounds in REASON studios....IS IT NORMAL i can't get anything similar and i've just wasted 2 hours going through its presets...any advice?
read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
domzy

i shouldn't really have answered cos i'm only listening on my laptop with tiny bedside speakers so can't really hear the bass that well,but i just wanted to comment because i really like the tune, especially the guitar arpeggios at 1:45. Cheers for introducing me to it!
Anyway, it just sounds like a fairly standard saw-ish sound, bit of distortion, lo-passed with a tiny bit of resonance?
And it sounds to me like another sound comes in for the chorus.
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #3
read

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
i shouldn't really have answered cos i'm only listening on my laptop with tiny bedside speakers so can't really hear the bass that well,but i just wanted to comment because i really like the tune, especially the guitar arpeggios at 1:45. Cheers for introducing me to it!
Anyway, it just sounds like a fairly standard saw-ish sound, bit of distortion, lo-passed with a tiny bit of resonance?
And it sounds to me like another sound comes in for the chorus.
thanks Domzy will try that! cheers
Old 05-03-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
eq1

I haven't been into music much for a long while, just kind of dabble here and there - so consider my suggestions as just me with off-the-cuff rusty response:

-The initial bass sound, at 1:08+, sounds more or less like a simple sine wave with a pretty fast attack and decay. A sine wave gives you a round, full bassy sound, the fast attack gives you a little definition at the first sounding of the note - not so fast as to sound like a kick drum, though...

It could be some other wave form, perhaps a saw*, with the cutoff frequency rolled-off/down/back a lot. Pretty much any wave form will sound full, round, and 'bassy' if you set the cutoff frequency real low... Something like that.

-The chorus bass could be the same as the initial bass but with another sound on top, like a saw wave.

-And then there's other stuff happening. You'd generally start with these waves though to get the underlying 'sound', shape the attack and decay, then take it from there...

*Actually, listening again, I don't hear saw wave in that initial bass sound. I think I hear square wave.
eq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
domzy

actually, having listened again on headphones i'm thinking triangle now
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:32 PM   #6
ErBird

Take a look at the bass with a spectrum analyzer. Several things give away the nature of the sound.

This is how I read things:

-There are even harmonics present, so sawtooth wave.

-The harmonics slope down pretty drastically from the fundamental, so a 4-pole filter.
Full filter key-tracking. No filter envelope.
If there's resonance, it should be centered at the fundamental.

-The harmonics are dancing up and down in amplitude, so there's some phasing taking place.
I think it's a stereo chorus as opposed to stacked, de-tuned oscillators.
Detuned oscillators would make the fundamental waver more in strength. It's pretty constant (good).

-Fast attack and release. Not so fast that they cause clicking.

Using Serum and Tal Chorus LX:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Op...A6gy0LuXORfcfn
ErBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:02 AM   #7
read

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBird View Post
Take a look at the bass with a spectrum analyzer. Several things give away the nature of the sound.

This is how I read things:

-There are even harmonics present, so sawtooth wave.

-The harmonics slope down pretty drastically from the fundamental, so a 4-pole filter.
Full filter key-tracking. No filter envelope.
If there's resonance, it should be centered at the fundamental.

-The harmonics are dancing up and down in amplitude, so there's some phasing taking place.
I think it's a stereo chorus as opposed to stacked, de-tuned oscillators.
Detuned oscillators would make the fundamental waver more in strength. It's pretty constant (good).

-Fast attack and release. Not so fast that they cause clicking.

Using Serum and Tal Chorus LX:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Op...A6gy0LuXORfcfn

cool! spot on! i need to try recreate this with your method thanks for this!

thanks guys will experiment