Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
statue
Human being with feelings

Default Some Reaper OS X problems

Hi all.

I am experiencing some problems that are quite frankly making Reaper unusable and I'm hoping some of you guys might be able to help me out.

I have a iMac 21,5" I bought in january, with a quite old Focusrite Saffire audio interface, with newest drivers. Reaper is version 4.151.

So my first problem is audio dropouts.
Almost everytime when I render a track, my audio goes totally silent. Meters still flash as if sounds were working, but nothing comes out. It does not only mute Reaper, but all audio. Sometimes it helps to open Finder, sometimes the sounds pop back randomly. Sometimes it helps to unselect Saffire, then select it again.
This does not however happen (as often) if I have "Request block size" unticked in Audio -> Device.

Second problem is with MIDI.
If I have a MIDI item playing VSTi on a track, I can't play the VSTi on top of it.
It does take MIDI notes in if I press record, but I can't hear the notes.
This could be a brainfart on my part, but I've tried pretty much every setting in Reaper's preferences.
I also get quite a lot of stuck notes, especially when looping, but sometimes with MIDI items too.

It's starting to look like I have to get Logic or perhaps a PC...
statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
AnyOtherCity

Quote:
Originally Posted by statue View Post
Second problem is with MIDI.
If I have a MIDI item playing VSTi on a track, I can't play the VSTi on top of it.
It does take MIDI notes in if I press record, but I can't hear the notes.
This could be a brainfart on my part, but I've tried pretty much every setting in Reaper's preferences.
Possibly stupid question but... do you have monitoring switched on on that channel?
AnyOtherCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
statue

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherCity View Post
Possibly stupid question but... do you have monitoring switched on on that channel?
Yeah I do, thanks for the suggestion though.
This MIDI problem was solved now that I understood how to delete ALL Reaper files (yeah I'm a OS X newbie, sorry) and do a fresh install.

And I guess I'll just have to use the default block size for my audio interface. Sucks for playing VSTi's, but oh well it will have to do I guess.
statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
TimOBrien

You need to complain to Focusrite about their drivers then.

I also just moved to a 21" iMac and I've had my Motu828mkII down to 3ms with no problems. (I don't keep it there but its nice to know I could)