Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 11-04-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
artao
Human being with feelings

Default I need to migrate data references to a new hard drive. How?

So I migrated all my data from my 500 gig drive to a new 4 terrabyte drive.
However, all my projects prior to the migration still reference all the data on the old HDD. As such, currently, I have to keep another copy of all that data on the old drive, otherwise my projects get all borked.
I don't mind keeping a backup of all the project files, that's actually a good idea. But I definitely don't want to keep a second copy of my samples library. That is the largest problem right now, is file references to my sample library trying to find the old drive. And with the actual project files, I obviously want them to be referencing their home on the new drive re: recordings and glued/frozen material.
Aside from doing it all manually, is there an automated "quick" process I can use to change all file references to the new HDD?
I sure hope so.
Thanks!
artao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
solger

Which operating system are you using?

If you are basically replacing the 500GB drive with the 4TB one and both drives have the exact same directory and file structure: you could give the new drive the same drive letter (Windows) or Volume name (macOS) from the old drive, so that there are no changes in the file path.

Last edited by solger; 11-04-2017 at 03:12 PM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #3
EpicSounds

Preferences, Project
"Look for project media in project directory before qualified path"
Old 11-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
artao

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Just to clarify: do you basically want to replace the 500GB drive with the 4TB one? Or is there any additional/other data on the 500GB drive which you need to access?

Which operating system are you using?
And have both drives the exact same directory and file structure?
Sorry, system info, of course.
Win 7 64 bit Pro
And yes, both drives have the exact same directory structure for this data. Project files and samples library. (as well as graphics, but that's irrelevant here)
The 500 gig drive will stay in the system, but the 4TB is the new primary data drive. The 500 gig drive will hold my downloads and a bunch of games, plus some file backups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Preferences, Project
"Look for project media in project directory before qualified path"
NICE!
So if I select that option then load files, THEN re-save them, will it save the files with the new data source references?
Also tho, a lot of this involves referencing my samples library, which is NOT in the directories of the projects.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by artao View Post
Win 7 64 bit Pro
And yes, both drives have the exact same directory structure for this data. Project files and samples library. (as well as graphics, but that's irrelevant here)
The 500 gig drive will stay in the system, but the 4TB is the new primary data drive. The 500 gig drive will hold my downloads and a bunch of games, plus some file backups.
Ah, OK.

If the 500GB drive is not the system drive with Windows on it and both drives have the exact same data on it, then maybe my suggestion for swapping the drive letters on the old and new drive is an option for you.

You didn't see the last version of my post when you posted your reply So here's the edited line again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solger
If you are basically replacing the 500GB drive with the 4TB one and both drives have the exact same directory and file structure: you could give the new drive the same drive letter (Windows) or Volume name (macOS) from the old drive, so that there are no changes in the file path.

Last edited by solger; 11-04-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #6
artao

I did consider that, but that would screw up other file references in my OS. That would be worse than simply mis-referenced files in Reaper.
The 500 gig drive has data that the 4TB drive doesn't (and won't)
Old 11-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by artao View Post
I did consider that, but that would screw up other file references in my OS. That would be worse than simply mis-referenced files in Reaper.
The 500 gig drive has data that the 4TB drive doesn't (and won't)
Yeah, I already thought so that you still have other files and path references on the old drive.

Then relocating the corresponding Project media files manually is the better solution in this case.

Quote:
Also tho, a lot of this involves referencing my samples library, which is NOT in the directories of the projects.
Which sample libraries are these, exactly? Any specific products?

In general, procedures for relocating file paths to sample libraries can vary depending on the sample library or application/plugin of which the library is part of, etc.
In some cases you have the option to simply change/update paths to the new sample directory location in the preferences of the corresponding application/plugin ...

Last edited by solger; 11-04-2017 at 04:10 PM.