Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Recording Technologies and Techniques

Old 01-01-2021, 11:55 PM   #81
panicaftermath
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Lard View Post
It isn't true you can be a beast with just plugins, it just isn't.
Here's Andrew Scheps on mixing entirely in the box. Start at 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=_M5aEC3-ACQ
panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #82
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdembo View Post
What Ivan said

I've done the 'finding a cheap but great pro to pay' thing a few times, highly recommended.

Mastering is one thing I've decided to do this with at some point. If ever I do an album that I'm really proud of and want to put out in some way, with a release that isnt just shoving it on youtube, I'll be saving up to pay a pro mastering engineer to do it.
Another piece of advice: Another friend recently paid out several thou to have his home recorded tracks mixed at Abbey Road.
Yes the engineer there did do a good job & helped my pal out a lot by offering good advice on re-recording some bits. No it wasnt worth what he paid, as he found out when it came to doing the Mastering & he followed my advice to track down a really good, young mastering engineer.
Excellent results for a fraction of Abbey Road prices.
Old 01-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #83
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
helped my pal out a lot by offering good advice on re-recording some bits.
There's a clue there.

I've seen a scenario before:

Young (or maybe not so young) band wants to record at the "big name studio" so their album will sound like The Beatles Abbey Road crossed with Led Zeppelin II.

Those were recorded in that big studio so that must be why they sound like that!

The hourly rate is HOW much?!?!

OK, we can do 8 hours. We'll record in 7 hours and then give the engineer the last hour to mix the finished album.

(Is your eye twitching yet?)

Shoot yourself in the foot and take the big name studio kicking and screaming down with you!

It's insidiously innocent of course! Who knew about this mixing thing and how it was so important?!
Who knew that working on arrangements before coming to the studio was a thing?!
Who knew that showing up rehearsed was a thing?!

If you can at least make reasonable recordings at home that don't sound like a phone recording. Spend time rehearsing. Have the luxury of doing more takes on your own time and get the one where you just nailed it. Then find an at least competent engineer to mix. You'll go a lot further.

I'm reading a loaded worst case scenario tale of course!

Maybe in this case there was no local "at least competent engineer" available? Maybe they DID get everything under control pretty well at home? Maybe Abbey Road was their best choice among the options they were aware of?
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:02 PM   #84
Tone Deft

flexing.
Tone Deft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:17 PM   #85
maxdembo

Quote:
Another piece of advice: Another friend recently paid out several thou to have his home recorded tracks mixed at Abbey Road.
Yes the engineer there did do a good job & helped my pal out a lot by offering good advice on re-recording some bits. No it wasnt worth what he paid, as he found out when it came to doing the Mastering & he followed my advice to track down a really good, young mastering engineer.
Excellent results for a fraction of Abbey Road prices.
Exactly. Always check the persons track record, and always be aware there are people out there itching to take on the job, that are great, for really competitive prices.

I've found a local guy, bookmarked, with good feedback who is a decent price too. But still, if one day I can afford it, I'd love those words "Mastered by Bob Weston at Abbey Road Studios" on a release one day, even if its just a single

And if there's room for me to talk about my dreams, it means we must be so far off topic

Again tho, what Ivan said. The internet makes everything local, meaning there is likely a local engineer itching to take the job on
maxdembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:29 AM   #86
ivansc

Quote:
Exactly. Always check the persons track record, and always be aware there are people out there itching to take on the job, that are great, for really competitive prices.

I've found a local guy, bookmarked, with good feedback who is a decent price too. But still, if one day I can afford it, I'd love those words "Mastered by Bob Weston at Abbey Road Studios" on a release one day, even if its just a single

And if there's room for me to talk about my dreams, it means we must be so far off topic

Again tho, what Ivan said. The internet makes everything local, meaning there is likely a local engineer itching to take the job on

Unfortunately these days the majority of the young local engineers itching to take a job on aren`t good enough. Shame, but in my neck of the woods, true.

Even if (like my mate Paul) you have a ton of recording experience, that wont help you find the right engineer at the right price.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:54 AM   #87
maxdembo

Quote:
Unfortunately these days the majority of the young local engineers itching to take a job on aren`t good enough. Shame, but in my neck of the woods, true.

Even if (like my mate Paul) you have a ton of recording experience, that wont help you find the right engineer at the right price.
When I said local, I meant the internet makes everything local, as in global/local.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:55 AM   #88
panicaftermath

Quote:
When I said local, I meant the internet makes everything local, as in global/local.
This.

Anyplace in the world where you can send a link to a consolidated Reaper project is local.
panicaftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #89
Tone Deft

how many times has this thread been hijacked?

even with acoustic treatment (the Godwin Law of the Reaper forum) and paying someone to Master your songs for you how can someone invest in external gear to pick up where VSTs fail to craft tones?

it used to be everyone insisted you needed a BBE Sonic Maximizer in your rack. no, you really need one, everyone has one FFS. the only way to not get lectured at was to buy one, then you were cool and they left you alone.
http://www.bbesound.com/products/son...s/default.aspx
Tone Deft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 12:36 PM   #90
cyrano

Hehe, that about sums it up, I think.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:41 PM   #91
cyrano

Quote:
That's undoubtedly true.

Getting there isn't the problem. The problem is knowing where to go to. Who to trust.

Let's face it, the internet isn't trust inspiring for most people, I'm afraid. I mean, auto mastering for 10$ a song, or what was it?
Old 01-03-2021, 01:11 PM   #92
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
That's undoubtedly true.

Getting there isn't the problem. The problem is knowing where to go to. Who to trust.

Let's face it, the internet isn't trust inspiring for most people, I'm afraid. I mean, auto mastering for 10$ a song, or what was it?
I'm pretty sure the OP knows how to research for more than just $10 auto mastering.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:43 PM   #93
Dork Lard

Quote:
Mastering is an art form in itself,
Yes it's true, I could contact someone online to master my stuff. Thought about it before many times, but I'd rather hone my skills. I don't like the idea of having someone else master my stuff when I'm still very much in the learning curve. I improve a lot from month to month; I'll listen to a mix of a song from August and go "oh wtffff ewww !!", compared to its current version from Dec/Jan, but the improvements are incremental. so I'm in this dynamic learning phase. Maybe when I'll have reached masterpiece level mixing, then, it would be worth bringing someone else in to immortalize that forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
yep. Saw that before making that post. Ppl have complained about the attk/rel function on certain drum items, but then you have all the other ppl who review or demonstrate the advantages of the machine. About the Pultec clone, I'll comment on that when it gets here, no point writing paragraphs about what might/may/seem right now with empty hands.
I'm guessing the ReInsert part will be a boring old roadblock on the 1st day, yes, and I'll feel suicidal for a few dozen minutes indeed...but hey, got to crack an egg for an omelette. And I love omelettes. Especially the ones with eggs in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panicaftermath View Post
Here's Andrew Scheps on mixing entirely in the box. Start at 5 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=_M5aEC3-ACQ
seen that before. I particularly enjoyed one of the comments below, not on this vid, another with Scheps, that read: " Hey Andrew, if your completely satisfied with being in the box, pass one of those Vintage Neve Consoles over here. Thank you".

Quote:
no no, please, this thread isn't just my personal little show. And if it's your dream that bad, just send your tracks over, I'll do a mediocre job at mastering them and send you a CD that says "Mastered at Albi Rose Studio" (copyright technicalities...).

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the OP knows how to research for more than just $10 auto mastering.
Please, Max. Generally refrain from assuming there is ANYTHING I can do. I like to keep it lowkey that way. Keeps the expectations low.
Dork Lard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:48 PM   #94
maxdembo

Quote:
Yes it's true, I could contact someone online to master my stuff.
Yeah, but I was answering why I would farm it out. Not suggesting you do it. It was all about MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Quote:
no no, please, this thread isn't just my personal little show. And if it's your dream that bad, just send your tracks over, I'll do a mediocre job at mastering them and send you a CD that says "Mastered in Albi Rose Studio" (copyright technicalities...).
My people will be in touch with your people

Quote:
Please, Max. Generally refrain from assuming there is ANYTHING I can do. I like to keep it lowkey that way. Keeps the expectations low.
My people will no longer be in touch with your people
Old 01-07-2021, 06:58 AM   #95
maxdembo

@dork lard...

Did your purchase arrive yet?
Old 01-07-2021, 07:49 AM   #96
numberthirty

Quote:
@dork lard...

Did your purchase arrive yet?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=247544
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:14 AM   #97
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
Thanks, and ouch.
Old 01-08-2021, 12:35 AM   #98
Pink Wool

Quote:
Thanks, and ouch.
Double ouch!
Pink Wool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 04:00 PM   #99
numberthirty

Sounds like it worked out in the end, and said piece of gear in now working with the setup.
numberthirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #100
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Deft View Post

even with acoustic treatment (the Godwin Law of the Reaper forum)....
Ha ha! Yep.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:58 AM   #101
Dork Lard

Would just like to give my input (ugh, God, "input"...just that word now) on the Klark Teknik.

It's shit. Absolute shit. Utterly useless. I'm so disappointed I would go through the trouble of incorporating it to my toilet so I can take a shit in it every day.

Nah. It's better than I expected. I was hoping for a 10-15% boost, and I got a 20% maybe 25% boost. The Pultec Boost+Cut at the same time technique works great to produce a sort of boosted yet smashed sound at the same time that sounds analogue. So easily better than the Waves Pultec clone plugin for one. A lot less flat and digital sounding. The combination of the KT as an EQ along with adding a tad bit of distortion from the audient really helps bring a mix to life, in a way that doesn't require tweaking and retweaking and retweaking. Just turn a few knobs - there's only 4 - and you're good.

Best results so far on one proper session:

- Snare. Cutting some low-mids and doing a Boost+Cut around 8-10k gave it a nice polish. Cleared out unneeded frequencies I wasn't even aware was there, despite having worked on it for a lonnnnng time.

- Kick drums: did two separate recordings, one for the regular clicky kicks and one for sub-bass kicks. Noticeable difference. Punchier. I can boost the 60 or 100hz on the KT to like 9, as long as I balance that with a cut I get real bass presence on the kicks that's fuller than anything I'd tried with plugins, which with those I'd eventually make the kicks just boomy and ugly so I'd cut back on the 60-100hz boost but lose presence, and increasing volume didn't help make it sound better.

- Bass guitar: Very noticeable, if not massive improvement. And God knows I've spent the time in the lab trying to get a nice tone. It's now taken on a bit of an analogue/warmer, more real sound. The string attack is nice now, not aggressive, and the low end is just -audible-. It no longer covers up other instruments or sounds too thin, despite my best efforts previously with plugs and trust me I tried.

- Voice: adding a bit of low-mids gave it a fuller, more real aspect. Adding a bit of shine helped too, better than the plugins for that. Again, just a bit less rough, a bit rounder sounding. Just, better.

- Heavy guitars: I'll be going through the Klark for guitars now, no doubt. Same as vocals. Fuller, smoother.

- Electronic overheads: nice improvement. Made that clang come out and sound more 80s, like I wanted. They're more tangible now.

- Synths all sound better too. More weight to them, more analogue, etc...

YES - yes, I bet some ppl out there achieve all that with 5 basic plugins recording in an igloo somewhere in Antarctica. Sure. But this is faster, more exciting and avoids me procrastinating/feeling guilty, and for 225€ and a headache I won't remember in 2 months (and thanks again for all who helped), it's undeniably worth it.

Problem with this unit ofc is it's mono, and for the Electronic Overheads I had to then add a Stereo Imager plugin but they won't be as accurately placed as I wanted, they'll just be spread out wide just about arbitrarily. Which still works but, not the original plan. I don't think I'll be doing the Toms for that reason, nor the regular OHs. GTRs I had to do each track one by one lol, and I can't master ofc, unless I get another unit for stereo.

I wish there was a way to not have to go through the printing process in real time.

Voila. Enjoy your Sunday guys.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #102
maxdembo

Quote:
Would just like to give my input (ugh, God, "input"...just that word now) on the Klark Teknik.

It's shit. Absolute shit. Utterly useless. I'm so disappointed I would go through the trouble of incorporating it to my toilet so I can take a shit in it every day.

Nah. It's better than I expected. I was hoping for a 10-15% boost, and I got a 20% maybe 25% boost. The Pultec Boost+Cut at the same time technique works great to produce a sort of boosted yet smashed sound at the same time that sounds analogue. So easily better than the Waves Pultec clone plugin for one. A lot less flat and digital sounding. The combination of the KT as an EQ along with adding a tad bit of distortion from the audient really helps bring a mix to life, in a way that doesn't require tweaking and retweaking and retweaking. Just turn a few knobs - there's only 4 - and you're good.

Best results so far on one proper session:

- Snare. Cutting some low-mids and doing a Boost+Cut around 8-10k gave it a nice polish. Cleared out unneeded frequencies I wasn't even aware was there, despite having worked on it for a lonnnnng time.

- Kick drums: did two separate recordings, one for the regular clicky kicks and one for sub-bass kicks. Noticeable difference. Punchier. I can boost the 60 or 100hz on the KT to like 9, as long as I balance that with a cut I get real bass presence on the kicks that's fuller than anything I'd tried with plugins, which with those I'd eventually make the kicks just boomy and ugly so I'd cut back on the 60-100hz boost but lose presence, and increasing volume didn't help make it sound better.

- Bass guitar: Very noticeable, if not massive improvement. And God knows I've spent the time in the lab trying to get a nice tone. It's now taken on a bit of an analogue/warmer, more real sound. The string attack is nice now, not aggressive, and the low end is just -audible-. It no longer covers up other instruments or sounds too thin, despite my best efforts previously with plugs and trust me I tried.

- Voice: adding a bit of low-mids gave it a fuller, more real aspect. Adding a bit of shine helped too, better than the plugins for that. Again, just a bit less rough, a bit rounder sounding. Just, better.

- Heavy guitars: I'll be going through the Klark for guitars now, no doubt. Same as vocals. Fuller, smoother.

- Electronic overheads: nice improvement. Made that clang come out and sound more 80s, like I wanted. They're more tangible now.

- Synths all sound better too. More weight to them, more analogue, etc...

YES - yes, I bet some ppl out there achieve all that with 5 basic plugins recording in an igloo somewhere in Antarctica. Sure. But this is faster, more exciting and avoids me procrastinating/feeling guilty, and for 225€ and a headache I won't remember in 2 months (and thanks again for all who helped), it's undeniably worth it.

Problem with this unit ofc is it's mono, and for the Electronic Overheads I had to then add a Stereo Imager plugin but they won't be as accurately placed as I wanted, they'll just be spread out wide just about arbitrarily. Which still works but, not the original plan. I don't think I'll be doing the Toms for that reason, nor the regular OHs. GTRs I had to do each track one by one lol, and I can't master ofc, unless I get another unit for stereo.

I wish there was a way to not have to go through the printing process in real time.

Voila. Enjoy your Sunday guys.
Awesome that its working for you mate, thats great news. And not just technically working, but that you like the sound its giving you.

Pleases me to read that, thanks for the update.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #103
maxdembo

Quote:
Just turn a few knobs - there's only 4 - and you're good.
Consider a less is more approach to your plugs too.

Quote:
Cleared out unneeded frequencies I wasn't even aware was there, despite having worked on it for a lonnnnng time.
This is a red flag regarding your monitoring or analysis of the files youre working with, i would say. Sent you a PM about it.

Quote:
It no longer covers up other instruments or sounds too thin, despite my best efforts previously with plugs and trust me I tried.
Totally pulling this out my arse, but I'd say this needs personal analysis from you, about what you were doing and how things can be improved by knowing why you couldnt get those results with plug ins. I suspect we're back in a 'less is more' area, but only you can answer this. Any answers you come up with need to not be blaming the concept of hardware and software being so alien to each other tho, but understanding why the Klark is doing what its doing, and how to recreate that with the plugins. You'll have done a massive learn that way, and have way less problems in the future should you be thrown into a project without your usual plugs, or the Klark.

EDIT: Amount of time working on something isnt necessarily an indication of having worked efficiently, and with knowledge, or correct feedback from your eyes and ears, it kinda indicates the opposite to me these days tbh. Always remember, you dont know what you dont know

Last edited by maxdembo; 01-10-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:32 AM   #104
Dork Lard

Quote:
Consider a less is more approach to your plugs too.

This is a red flag regarding your monitoring or analysis of the files youre working with, i would say. Sent you a PM about it.

Totally pulling this out my arse, but I'd say this needs personal analysis from you, about what you were doing and how things can be improved by knowing why you couldnt get those results with plug ins. I suspect we're back in a 'less is more' area, but only you can answer this. Any answers you come up with need to not be blaming the concept of hardware and software being so alien to each other tho, but understanding why the Klark is doing what its doing, and how to recreate that with the plugins. You'll have done a massive learn that way, and have way less problems in the future should you be thrown into a project without your usual plugs, or the Klark.

EDIT: Amount of time working on something isnt necessarily an indication of having worked efficiently, and with knowledge, or correct feedback from your eyes and ears, it kinda indicates the opposite to me these days tbh. Always remember, you dont know what you dont know
You're 100% right. I can't just expect there to be a Pultec clone and my specific preferred plugins at all times, and what if I'm rendered useless in a slightly different setting ?

For the bass:

I'd imagine to emulate what the Klark is doing for me I'd need some sort of a multiband comp, where I would first use an EQ to boost the 60hz (for the sub bass) or 100hz (for the regular bass guitar) and then attempt to produce that controlled/sucked-in effect with comp on those particular frequencies, rather than compressing the entire signal of the tracks.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:23 AM   #105
Cosmic

Welly welly well then.

Thanks in part to this thread and partly because I have been experiencing a bit of dissatisfaction with my vocal sound I scoured the small ads and bought a Toft Audio TC1 channel strip and by Thors mighty hammer,my vocal sound has improved exponentially.

Makes you think!

Focusrite Scarlett preamps are piss poor in comparison . And some outboard compression and eq is where its at.
The vocals need no plugins now

So..moral of the story...always be prepared to be proved wrong. Welcome it, in fact.

I've also ordered a Babyface Pro Fs on the back of the whole experience.

Last edited by Cosmic; 01-11-2021 at 05:29 AM.
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:45 AM   #106
Allybye

Although I am still a record it as ckean as you can sort of chap and think you can only improve things a little with better preamps (compared to other things) it is very pleasing that you have got to a position of a sound that you like.

Positive responses are often in dhort supply.

Would be really interesting for many I expect to hear a before and after track to hear what the differences are. We can all learn a bit?
Allybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:11 AM   #107
pipelineaudio
Mortal

What did you find wrong with the focusrite preamps compared to the Toft when you measured them?
pipelineaudio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 11:31 AM   #108
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
Welly welly well then.

Thanks in part to this thread and partly because I have been experiencing a bit of dissatisfaction with my vocal sound I scoured the small ads and bought a Toft Audio TC1 channel strip and by Thors mighty hammer,my vocal sound has improved exponentially.

Makes you think!

Focusrite Scarlett preamps are piss poor in comparison . And some outboard compression and eq is where its at.
The vocals need no plugins now

So..moral of the story...always be prepared to be proved wrong. Welcome it, in fact.

I've also ordered a Babyface Pro Fs on the back of the whole experience.
Cor! Bloated plutocrat alert!!! You shoulda gone the whole way & bought a Manley VoxBox. Instant fairy dust on anything from my (admittedly limited) experience.

I`m still trying to decide if its worth replacing my Babyface Mk1 with a newer fancier one, even though I am more than happy with the original. Think I will stick to my existing stuff till something dies.
Old 01-11-2021, 05:52 PM   #109
Dork Lard

Quote:
Welly welly well then.

Makes you think!
Being a gear-ascetic, just why. Since the dawn of time, back during the primordial era, Man has worked with amplifier tubes and transistors. It's atavistic in fact, as it's thanks to its mighty power that our ancestors smote down giant terrifying creatures and returned from hunting to their women, those anxiously waiting for sustenance in their caves to feed their young, as the men arrived carrying carcasses that would feed them for days, and the men at the back carrying their trusty amp tubes. And since then, we have never found ANY - THING - better. Have we ?

Look. I realize nobody should entirely rely on gear. There are no magic wands, improving your ears is all that matters, yadi yada. But wait a second. If you've got gear at your disposal, right there within reach, it's there, you happen to be alone in a studio, equipment that you know can at VERY LEAST accelerate your work twofold, threefold, why in the world would you not use it ? Like, you're a purist. You're trying to prove a point ? Use the damn gear man. Continue to work on being good at mixing, room acoustics and using your ears and getting better at using an EQ or a comp etc, obviously, nobody's saying spend 20 grand on equipment and never use your ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allybye View Post
Would be really interesting for many I expect to hear a before and after track to hear what the differences are. We can all learn a bit?
Alrighty thennnn, I'll try to select a few moments and show you guys soon.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:50 PM   #110
karbomusic

Quote:
I scoured the small ads and bought a Toft Audio TC1 channel strip and by Thors mighty hammer
Congrats!

Old 01-11-2021, 06:57 PM   #111
maxdembo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Congrats!

Apologies for being dumb, but I'm eager to learn What am I supposed to be seeing in this pic thats relevant?

No snark, just not sure what Im looking at in all that kit that is the response to the TC1 purchase.

And not sure if Im missing out on some sort of in-joke
Old 01-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #112
karbomusic

Quote:
And not sure if Im missing out on some sort of in-joke
Just sharing that I have some outboard preamps as well. Looks like 12 total if I'm not forgetting anything, that gives me 28'ish simultaneous (mic/line) inputs in that rig. That's my main DAW rig but it is rack-mounted so I can go mobile with it as needed. My desk is just to the right of that picture.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:10 PM   #113
maxdembo

Quote:
Just sharing that I have some outboard preamps as well. Looks like 12 total if I'm not forgetting anything, that gives me 28'ish simultaneous (mic/line) inputs in that rig. That's my main DAW rig but it is rack-mounted so I can go mobile with it as needed. My desk is just to the right of that picture.
ah ok, gotcha, thanks

nice set up
Old 01-11-2021, 07:13 PM   #114
karbomusic

Quote:
ah ok, gotcha, thanks

nice set up
All good, the last time I used all those at once, was like below. I usually do an I/O sheet so that I don't miss anything:

I'll get out of you guys way, just sharing.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:17 PM   #115
maxdembo

Quote:
I'll get out of you guys way, just sharing.
Stay in the way! I'm still looking up the devices you posted...

Whats the one with the four VU meters, its the only one I cant quite make out the manufacturer or work it out from its logo's etc?
Old 01-11-2021, 07:21 PM   #116
karbomusic

Quote:
Stay in the way! I'm still looking up the devices you posted...

Whats the one with the four VU meters, its the only one I cant quite make out the manufacturer or work it out from its logo's etc?
That's my beloved UA 4-710D. It gets mixed reviews but since it's not my only preamp, I really like it. It also has an 1176 type compressor circuit in each preamp. Basically a watered down 1176 from the same company - I often hit vocals and/or bass guitar with that on the way in. I'd be a little upset if it broke.

It has an ADAT out so it feeds into my Fireface UFX and just shows up as extra channels in my Reaper.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:24 PM   #117
maxdembo

Quote:
That's my beloved UA 4-710D. It gets mixed reviews but since it's not my only preamp, I really like it. It also has a 1176 type compressor circuit in each preamp. Basically a watered down 1176 from the same company - I often hit vocals and/or bass guitar with that on the way in. I'd be a little upset if it broke.

It has an ADAT out so it feeds into my Fireface UFX and just shows up as extra channels in my DAW.
Ah ha! Nice one, thanks. Gonna look it up just because
Old 01-11-2021, 07:25 PM   #118
karbomusic

Quote:
Ah ha! Nice one, thanks. Gonna look it up just because
I just checked, they still make them. I figured they were discontinued by now, I think I got mine around 2011 or so.
Old 01-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #119
Pfhuck

For me outboard gear made a BIG DIFFERENCE!

Especially preamps. I dived into the CAPI/DIY pool a couple of years ago.
You can clip some of these preamps, and they sound better than compression sometimes in my opinion.

Then there's hardware EQ and compression.

Then I bought some serious AD/DA (SSL MX). WOW.

I'd rather buy the hardware than chase software updates. Cheaper in the long run.

As always. Just my opinion.

Peace!
Old 01-12-2021, 03:25 AM   #120
Cosmic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allybye View Post
Although I am still a record it as ckean as you can sort of chap and think you can only improve things a little with better preamps (compared to other things) it is very pleasing that you have got to a position of a sound that you like.

Positive responses are often in dhort supply.

I might try and record a couple of takes with both and let yous hear the difference.Leave it with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
What did you find wrong with the focusrite preamps compared to the Toft when you measured them?
Well,I havent measured anything for a start. I would'nt even know what to measure. ANd to be honest I lashed straight in and had the compressor on full whack and its been on ever since. So,its probably that which I am hearing most of..but it honestly surpasses anything I could achieve with the plugins I have

I had a Gap pre 73 among others before that I sold on. I'd say I'm more of a compressor fan than a preamp fan per se