Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #1
Andriko
Human being with feelings

Default Insert New Midi Item Question

Hi all,

Another addition to the dumb questions list - When I insert a new midi item, it creates one bar/measure and adds it in, which is fine. However, when I goto extend it (dragging it along) each new measure has little black arrows in the corner and it just duplicates whatever I write into the first bar into all of them.

Presumabley I have turned something on or off, but I am not sure what.

Ideally, I just want the full notation for the track, but I am having similar problems using the notation editor.

Related to this, each added midi item in a track is seperate, how do I merge them into one so that the notation score is continuous (and contains all the midi items in one?).

Thanks,

Andreas
Andriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:55 AM   #2
dug dog

Good morning, Andreas:

When you insert that new MIDI item, you could drag it out to the full length of your project before you put anything in it. (You'll see a whole series of those "little black arrows"). Right click on that dragged out item and select "Glue items". Now, you should have one long MIDI item.

OR.... Before you insert that new MIDI item, you could set your time selection to the full length of the project and, then, insert a new MIDI item. That should give you one blank MIDI item that's the full length of your initial time selection.

To "merge" several individual MIDI items on a single track, select them all, right click on one of them and select "Glue items".
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #3
Andriko

Great, thanks for the help!
Old 01-17-2021, 09:07 AM   #4
lunker

What you are describing is called looping.

You can control whether or not dragging the edge of an item causes it to loop by editing the item properties. I can never remember if the default shortcut key for item properties is F2 or CTRL+F2, because I assigned those keys to other actions -- but you can also get to it by right-clicking on an item and selecting "Item properties ...". Once there, check/uncheck the box for "Loop source".

You can control whether or not looping is enabled for new items by going to Preferences > Project > Media Item Defaults, and checking/unchecking the boxes for "Loop source for ...". In you case, it sounds like you want to uncheck the box for "Loop source for new MIDI items".
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #5
Coachz

I toggle looping of any item this way and then extend the midi item by dragging the edge.

Coachz Repo
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #6
nait

I do what Lunker described but I just unchecked all those "loop source for" check boxes. To be honest, it's a completely unnecessary feature, for me. I get the reasoning behind it, but I'm just content with copy/pasting, even if something changes. I can see how it can make it easy to maintain a particular section of your song, but I'm a little set in my ways, and manually copy/pasting works well for me.

BTW, just as a note.. I'm not sure if this is default functionality, or something I turned on, but you can also insert a longer/shorter MIDI item based on what bars you have selected. That's usually what I do.. make a 2 bar selection, for example, then hit my shortcut (insert) for inserting a MIDI item. That way, right off the start, you can insert to the right size. But for changing it later, like I said, I prefer to have those "loop source for" preferences all disabled and like the default functionality to be resizing the item when I drag the side of it.
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.

Last edited by nait; 01-17-2021 at 03:58 PM.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:51 PM   #7
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait View Post
I do what Lunker described but I just unchecked all those "loop source for" check boxes. To be honest, it's a completely unnecessary feature, for me. I get the reasoning behind it, but I'm just content with copy/pasting, even if something changes. I can see how it can make it easy to maintain a particular section of your song, but I'm a little set in my ways, and manually copy/pasting works well for me.
Especially if you paste/duplicate as *pooled* copies, so that edits in one item immediately propagates to all other copies.

Alternatively, if the items are unpooled, you can manually "propagate" changes to all similarly named items on the track.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 04:56 PM   #8
nait

Yeah exactly, using pooled items seems more appropriate functionality for this for me than having items loop. Good to have options though, and at least we can turn that off if we don't use it!
My Rig (also serves as my gaming PC): MSI Mag X570 Tomahawk Mobo, Ryzen R9 3900X, 32GB RAM, Samsung 960 Evo 500gb NVMe, Crucial 1TB NVMe, NVidia RTX 2080 Super, Arturia Minifuse 2, Nektar Impact LX25+ MIDI Controller Keyboard.
nait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #9
Andriko

Thanks Everyone!