Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 02-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #1
sjs94704
Human being with feelings

Default Question about dynamic vocal processing ......

Hey, All:

My Uncle died a couple weeks ago, so, I have recorded the song 'Amazing Grace' in his memory.

There is a single vocal track and I am now ready to do the DVP.

I know how to do it, but, I have not yet had the opportunity to actually put it into action on a song I am ready to fully mix.

I understand about going through the vocal item and how to split it phrase-by-phrase so that I can make the adjustments to the waveform to even them all out as best as possible.

I say all that so you all know what I know about how to do it.

First, if there is anything I left out of my explanation above that I should be doing, please say so.

What I would really like to know is, when I look at the overall song, what considerations do I need to keep in mind when deciding whether to adjust the louder waveforms to the softer ones, or visa versa. Or, does it not really matter?

The thought does occur to me that once I adjust them all I will glue them all together and then adjust the volume of the entire waveform from there.

I am just putting my thoughts out here to see if I am on the right track or if my workflow should be in any way different to get the best results.

Yes, I know there are many different ways to do this, but, I'm interested in hearing what some of you do that works for you that I can get something out of it ....

Thanks so much !
Old 02-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #2
SoundGuyDave
Human being with feelings

First, I'm sorry for your loss. I think it's an awesome idea to do the musical tribute.

Personally, it drives me nuts having that many little clips floating around. Far too high a chance for an accidental "bump" in location. I will "clip-gain" large sections of a vocal to get them roughly to the volume needed, usually in terms of verses or choruses. Once you have a roughly consistent performance, I would apply processing (static EQ, automated EQ, de-essing if needed, compression), to get the vocal "sound" that I wanted. Then, I would follow that up with two automation passes. First, The "automated EQ" to smooth out any small performance inconsistencies or quirks (throat resonances, harsh syllables) by dialing in the frequency and bandwidth of the filter, then automating the gain. That makes it easy to get just the right amount of cut for that specific instance. I could have up to 3 or 4 filters running. Finally, I would finish the vocal track up with a volume automation to fine-tune the balance between the vocal and the music bed. The end result is a nice consistent, smooth vocal that just sits in place.
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote