Old 02-08-2020, 04:49 AM   #1
Dork Lard
Human being with feelings

Default How To Make Smooth MIDI Slides

I compose my stuff on a tab/MIDI-based software and there I simply use the slide tool. Say fret 12 on the bass down to 0.

When I extract the MIDI file and import it into Reaper, Reaper can't directly translate the slide and just makes this 2 semitone drop instead.

How do I make an actual slide: in other words how do I make the two blue-selected notes link so it simulates the sound of an actual bass slide

Also: is there a way to drop pitch more than 2 semitones on Reaper ?? I'm constantly being limited by this.
THANKING YOU.
Dork Lard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:10 AM   #2
domzy

what do you mean Reaper is limiting to a 2 semitone drop? Surely this would depend either on how it is programmed or what is being used for a sound source?
I think it would need to be either a pitchbend message (set the pitchbend range to more than two semitones in the VSTi / sampler or whatever you're using for sound)
or switch to a portamento or legato sound for the slide
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
what do you mean Reaper is limiting to a 2 semitone drop? Surely this would depend either on how it is programmed or what is being used for a sound source?
I think it would need to be either a pitchbend message (set the pitchbend range to more than two semitones in the VSTi / sampler or whatever you're using for sound)
or switch to a portamento or legato sound for the slide
Oh I mean like when you open up the MIDI editor and you go to 'Pitch', you can only change the pitch of a note by 2 semitones. I'd really like to be able to change it more than just 2 semitones on quite a few occasions.

But my main issue here is creating the slide on MIDI performances.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #4
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Lard View Post
Oh I mean like when you open up the MIDI editor and you go to 'Pitch', you can only change the pitch of a note by 2 semitones. I'd really like to be able to change it more than just 2 semitones on quite a few occasions.
can you explain what you mean by this? if you are talking about the CC editor at the bottom of the MIDI window, this just represents the maximum range of pitchbend as defined by the MIDI instrument, it could be two semitones if this is what is defined in the instrument or it could be 2 octaves, it totally depends on what you have set in the instrument.
What instrument are you using?
Old 02-09-2020, 05:43 AM   #5
Dork Lard

Quote:
can you explain what you mean by this? if you are talking about the CC editor at the bottom of the MIDI window, this just represents the maximum range of pitchbend as defined by the MIDI instrument, it could be two semitones if this is what is defined in the instrument or it could be 2 octaves, it totally depends on what you have set in the instrument.
What instrument are you using?
I've had the 2 semitone limit for every single MIDI instrument I've used so far, so that's MIDI guitars, bass, synths... it's the maximum limit set for editing any MIDI note on the 'Pitch' tab with the little blue bars in the grid. A maximum flexibility of two semitones higher to two semitones lower. And sometimes I'd like to drop much lower than 2 semitones or bend higher than 2 semitones - within the Pitch Tab in the MIDI editor.

And I have to reiterate: my main issue here is creating the slide on MIDI instruments. Is that even possible in Reaper ?
Old 02-09-2020, 06:09 AM   #6
bobobo

It is..

You can set set midi note-ons every midiframe or use pitch cc events or portamento settings in your vsti

Maybe it would help if you post a little sound demo to listen to.
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:50 PM   #7
domzy

Quote:
I've had the 2 semitone limit for every single MIDI instrument I've used so far, so that's MIDI guitars, bass, synths... it's the maximum limit set for editing any MIDI note on the 'Pitch' tab with the little blue bars in the grid. A maximum flexibility of two semitones higher to two semitones lower. And sometimes I'd like to drop much lower than 2 semitones or bend higher than 2 semitones - within the Pitch Tab in the MIDI editor.

And I have to reiterate: my main issue here is creating the slide on MIDI instruments. Is that even possible in Reaper ?
two semitones is definitely not a limit imposed by reaper
what VSTis are you talking about?

Last edited by domzy; 02-09-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo View Post
It is..

You can set set midi note-ons every midiframe or use pitch cc events or portamento settings in your vsti

hey man thx for the reply. I really NEED a fix for this !

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by "set midi note-ons every midiframe" - do you mean manually modify each MIDI note, for pitch ?

The Pitch cc events ? What do you mean exactly ?

What does the portamento do ? Will it bind two notes together and create a slide ?
Old 02-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
domzy

You really need to say what specific sound source (VSTi) you are using to get a definitive answer.
Maybe i've not explained well enough, but that is your issue, not Reaper.
Portamento is a function found on some synths & samplers, as is pitchbend range - these are what you need to be focusing on.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo View Post
it'd be more helpful if he actually said what sound source / instrument he was using
Old 02-09-2020, 04:38 PM   #11
domzy

my guess is that you are using a General MIDI instrument at default settings?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_wheel
Old 02-09-2020, 04:39 PM   #12
bobobo

It would

@DL

I've found an answer in another forum. other tools but same issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8056615

Maybe you read it to get things clear
Old 02-10-2020, 06:28 AM   #13
Dork Lard

Quote:
You really need to say what specific sound source (VSTi) you are using to get a definitive answer.
Maybe i've not explained well enough, but that is your issue, not Reaper.
Portamento is a function found on some synths & samplers, as is pitchbend range - these are what you need to be focusing on.
Oh I'm sorry. I'm using a VST called Ample Sound's Ample Metal Ray. It's a bass vst. I didn't think it mattered which specific vst I used as I have this problem with any vst I could think of using, there's no difference there.

I found this in the program:

I tried everything they described in that Legato window and couldn't get a result. I tried creating a note on C#0, I made the two notes I want the slide to occur on overlap, I played around with the Portamento and Mod Wheel and Pitch... just don't get it.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:53 AM   #14
domzy

cool, now we're getting somewhere, unfortunately i've never used that instrument but it looks pretty straightforward & what you are describing seems to be correct - ie trigger your keyswitch (C#0) just before you do the slide & make sure the slide notes are overlapping.
are you seeing the relevant articulation indicator (i assume it's the LS one) light up when it's triggered?
Old 02-10-2020, 12:04 PM   #15
Dork Lard

Quote:
cool, now we're getting somewhere, unfortunately i've never used that instrument but it looks pretty straightforward & what you are describing seems to be correct - ie trigger your keyswitch (C#0) just before you do the slide & make sure the slide notes are overlapping.
are you seeing the relevant articulation indicator (i assume it's the LS one) light up when it's triggered?
I'm sorry but what do you mean by "trigger the keyswitch" ? I've just been creating a note in the MIDI editor. At C#0.

But anyways, if this is sth specific to Ample then I should ask them and shouldn't bother you with this.
So I guess there is no way to just create slides for any instrument within Reaper. It'll always vary on the specific instrument ?
Old 02-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #16
domzy

Yes, it depends on the specific instrument, as has been mentioned many times.
Going by your pic, the articulations in the plugin have indicator lights to show which one is playing. "Sus" is lit in your pic - when you play C#0 does "LS" light up?
The reason i ask is because if not, you may have an octave differential between what Reaper is seeing as C#0 and what the plug-in does. I've had this happen with other plugins in the past, so if this is the case (ie the light isn't coming on at C#0) try C#1 or C#-1 instead.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:01 AM   #17
Dork Lard

Quote:
Yes, it depends on the specific instrument, as has been mentioned many times.
lol look I'm sorry, I'm slow with these things ok, I'm SLOW !!!!

Quote:
Going by your pic, the articulations in the plugin have indicator lights to show which one is playing. "Sus" is lit in your pic - when you play C#0 does "LS" light up?
The reason i ask is because if not, you may have an octave differential between what Reaper is seeing as C#0 and what the plug-in does. I've had this happen with other plugins in the past, so if this is the case (ie the light isn't coming on at C#0) try C#1 or C#-1 instead.
The Sus doesn't light up when I play the C#0 note, no.
But I tried every single note at the bottom of the actual notes playing. Nothing. I got a few different effects like fret sounds or a slight slide to start off the note, but no linking betw. the two notes. It seems pretty complicated for just a slide...

Thanks for your help man. Appreciate it.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:37 AM   #18
ivansc

(grin) Hire a bass player or learn to play one yourself. I am a bass player but use bass VSTis a lot for quickness, but I too have found it is a lot less hassle if you want all the little subtleties of proper bass playing, to do it yourself.

I know it would cost you at least 100 GB Pounds or the local equivelent to get a playable bass, but worth it - especially if you already play guitar.
Guitarists can easily play bass parts, just that most of them cant play them like a proper bass player would.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:35 AM   #19
Dork Lard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
(grin) Hire a bass player or learn to play one yourself. I am a bass player but use bass VSTis a lot for quickness, but I too have found it is a lot less hassle if you want all the little subtleties of proper bass playing, to do it yourself.

I know it would cost you at least 100 GB Pounds or the local equivelent to get a playable bass, but worth it - especially if you already play guitar.
Guitarists can easily play bass parts, just that most of them cant play them like a proper bass player would.
I actually sold my bass some months ago. It was just sitting in the corner of the room. I figured with the software technology available no way I still need it. Obviously you'll run into little problems like this now and then. But I've got to find a way to get that slide...
Old 02-12-2020, 06:57 AM   #20
domzy

Quote:
The Sus doesn't light up when I play the C#0 note, no.
But I tried every single note at the bottom of the actual notes playing. Nothing. I got a few different effects like fret sounds or a slight slide to start off the note, but no linking betw. the two notes. It seems pretty complicated for just a slide...
that sounds promising - the LS light should light up instead of the Sus when you trigger C#0, is that what's happening?
It looks like velocity has some bearing on the speed of the the slide in Legato mode, so it shouldn't take much experimentation to get it working
Old 02-13-2020, 03:24 PM   #21
Dork Lard

Quote:
that sounds promising - the LS light should light up instead of the Sus when you trigger C#0, is that what's happening?
It looks like velocity has some bearing on the speed of the the slide in Legato mode, so it shouldn't take much experimentation to get it working
I just worked sth out. The VST bass is playing the two notes on separate strings. As opposed to on one string as it should for a slide. I'm asking the Ample guy how to get the first note to be played in the upper frets of the same string to get like a fret 16 -> fret 4 slide.

LS isn't lighting up as of now, no.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #22
bobobo

StrMan key E6 to G6 (or maybe one octave above) nails playing to String 1 to 4

Last edited by bobobo; 02-14-2020 at 01:01 PM.