Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 07-08-2019, 10:57 PM   #241
mrelwood
Human being with feelings

Routter 1.16 is up!
- Fixed: Loading project or preset when plugin is hidden.
- Fixed: Lag in dragging sliders.

https://mrelwood5.wixsite.com/plugins

Last edited by mrelwood; 07-11-2019 at 11:33 AM.
mrelwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:22 PM   #242
mrelwood

I had the chance to test my plugins on Windows 10. What a mess! The brightness curves and font sizes are quite different. I took the effort to update all my plugins that suffered from cross-OS contamination:
DynEQ, KickbAss, LinkEQ, MotherComp, Routter, Sky, SonnyComp and StereOpposition.

The drawing will never be the same than on macOS, but they should now all be a lot more pleasant to use.

Also found and fixed a jerky dragging bug when dragging the note in LinkEQ:
http://b.link/mrelwood_LinkEQ_0v68

Last edited by mrelwood; 07-12-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:43 AM   #243
Sambo Rouge

M ---- Thanks for all of your sterling efforts --- I know how much work this must have been. Great stuff === keep it up!
Old 07-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #244
creator31

Hi mrelwood,

Your plugins look interesting. However, some of the download links are broken for me:
  • SonnyComp 1.06
  • DynEQ 0.973
  • KickbAss 0.35
These three all return a 'page not found' page from Bitly.

Sometimes my internet seems a bit flakey, when it seems to work ok for others. I've successfully downloaded MotherComp and a few others though.

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #245
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by creator31 View Post
However, some of the download links are broken for me:
Thanks for letting me know! Somehow the links had gotten all wrong. They should work now though. If they still don't, try refreshing the main plugin page first.

Last edited by mrelwood; 07-13-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #246
creator31

Thanks mrelwood. Downloaded ok.

I had a play with MotherComp earlier. Sounds good. Great work. I'm looking forward to trying some others...

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:28 AM   #247
danerius

Default GlitchPress Mono

Hi

Tried GlitchPress the other day on a bus. It sums to mono. Is it supposed to do that? I found references to Left + Right in the code so Im guessing not...?

/thanks
danerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #248
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by danerius View Post
Hi

Tried GlitchPress the other day on a bus. It sums to mono. Is it supposed to do that? I found references to Left + Right in the code so Im guessing not...?

/thanks
Oh boy... Stereo processing was totally forgotten midway. Fixing!
Old 12-10-2019, 12:01 AM   #249
danerius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelwood View Post
Oh boy... Stereo processing was totally forgotten midway. Fixing!
Awesome . Keep us posted when its updated
Old 12-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #250
mrelwood

GlitchPress has been updated to 1.05!

- More sensitivity range
- Operates in stereo
- Slightly more consistent glitch suppressing
- Smaller pops when changing buffer size

http://mrelwoodplugins.ml
Old 12-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #251
danerius

Quote:
GlitchPress has been updated to 1.05!

- More sensitivity range
- Operates in stereo
- Slightly more consistent glitch suppressing
- Smaller pops when changing buffer size

http://mrelwoodplugins.ml
Sweet
Old 12-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #252
vanhaze

Thank you for the update mrelwood, your plugins are superb !
Old 01-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #253
mrelwood

While mixing drums for a few rock tracks I found that my compressors MotherComp and SonnyComp don't quite have the range to get as aggressive as I expected. So, what do I do? I make a compressor!

The GUI is a bit of a knee-jerk to a friend, but I think it actually does work reasonably well! We'll see if I can clear up the overall look a bit more in time.

Let me introduce CompLab 0.6!

http://b.link/mrelwood_CompLab_0v6

- This is a powerful tool with a lot of range in adjustments, and besides a compressor it can function as a limiter or a distortion!
- Attack range from one sample to 200ms, release from 10 samples to 5 seconds.
- Threshold (-60dB - 0dB), attack curve shape, hold time (0-40ms), release curve shape, ratio, mix, volume.
- Mono, Stereo, M/S
- Sidechain/internal HP/LP filters up to 30dB/oct
- A beautiful settings window for further options

To do:
- More advanced M/S processing to retain stereo image better under hard compression.

Let me know what you think of CompLab!

Last edited by mrelwood; 01-25-2020 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #254
danerius

Quote:
Let me know what you think of CompLab!
Already loving it /danerius
Old 01-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #255
JamesPeters

Already one of my favorites!
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #256
Eliseat

Very nice compressor. And the gui is more intuitive as I thought at the first sight. Many thanks Mr. Elwood! (づ。◕‿◕。)づ
Old 01-25-2020, 07:15 PM   #257
mrelwood

Well, this started nicely! Thank you, guys, I'm glad that you like it too!
Old 01-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #258
JamesPeters

A request for CompLab: make the release area a lot shorter so there's more space for the most useable release times (I'd say up to 300 ms, or 500 ms). The fact 5000 ms is 2/3 the way across the screen (and the other 1/3 isn't usable either) makes me want to expand the plugin to a large size to get the attack/hold/release (and curves) dialed in better.

Oh also the ability to grab the nodes is a bit fiddly for me (like Bamp).

Besides that I think it works very well! I haven't tested it much, but so far I think it's great for "sound shaping" compression with even 3 dB of reduction, and is probably the most flexible compressor that I've used for getting the shape the way I want (while still having a compact interface). I still need to get accustomed to shaping the attack/release (and how that affects what other settings I will use).
Old 01-26-2020, 12:47 AM   #259
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
A request for CompLab: make the release area a lot shorter so there's more space for the most useable release times (I'd say up to 300 ms, or 500 ms). The fact 5000 ms is 2/3 the way across the screen (and the other 1/3 isn't usable either) makes me want to expand the plugin to a large size to get the attack/hold/release (and curves) dialed in better.
I see your point, and this is something I've spent some time with. When attack, hold and release are all at maximum, the release node already reaches the edge of the plugin. The center of the release travel is at 200ms. I want to retain some relation between the distances, so that the 40ms travel for hold doesn't reach the 5000ms travel of the release, for example.

What I could try to do is shape the start so that the 10-30ms range would be a bit faster, since I would imagine 50-200ms to be the area where people set it the most.

Btw, You can drag with Shift, Cmd/Ctrl or Alt to get more precise movement.

Quote:
Oh also the ability to grab the nodes is a bit fiddly for me (like Bamp).
Maybe the draggable areas are too small (on BAMP as well)?

Quote:
Besides that I think it works very well! I haven't tested it much, but so far I think it's great for "sound shaping" compression with even 3 dB of reduction, and is probably the most flexible compressor that I've used for getting the shape the way I want (while still having a compact interface). I still need to get accustomed to shaping the attack/release (and how that affects what other settings I will use).
Thanks, glad you like it! It definitely is an untraditional one, so it does take some testing to learn what the CompLab can do.
Old 01-26-2020, 09:26 AM   #260
JamesPeters

Quote:
What I could try to do is shape the start so that the 10-30ms range would be a bit faster, since I would imagine 50-200ms to be the area where people set it the most.
I think 10-30 ms for release is still a useful range. The least useful range is over 1000 ms. I can't imagine wanting to use any more than that personally, and it's hard to imagine anyone needing over 2000 ms. If anything I'd say try to let the entire range be used if possible, and if you need to "squeeze" some of the range, make that the stuff over 1000 ms.

Quote:
Btw, You can drag with Shift, Cmd/Ctrl or Alt to get more precise movement.
Thanks! I'd assumed that but hadn't tried it.

Quote:
Maybe the draggable areas are too small (on BAMP as well)?
Maybe, but I'm no expert. So all I know is it seems fairly hit-or-miss even when I'm trying to be slow and deliberate. How it locks into up/down or left/right, especially in the Bamp EQ, it seems to not realize which axis I want at least half the time.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:31 AM   #261
mrelwood

Quote:
How it locks into up/down or left/right, especially in the Bamp EQ, it seems to not realize which axis I want at least half the time.
But it doesn’t seem to favor either direction more than the other?
Old 01-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #262
JamesPeters

Quote:
But it doesn’t seem to favor either direction more than the other?
No. It seems to be luck of the draw. If I'm very careful and deliberate (moving my mouse incredibly slowly after grabbing from a dead stop, using a lower resolution for the mouse), it's fine.

Oh also I realized the following plugins don't report their parameter changes to Reaper for the undo history:

CompLab
Bamp
AmpEra
Routter
DynEQ (some things do, some don't)

It's possible your other compressors/limiters behave this way too. I don't have them installed at the moment. So, anything with graphics I guess.
Old 01-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #263
mrelwood

Quote:
No. It seems to be luck of the draw. If I'm very careful and deliberate (moving my mouse incredibly slowly after grabbing from a dead stop, using a lower resolution for the mouse), it's fine.
Got it. It works fine on the MacBook Pro trackpad, and that is the only mouse I have for testing. But I got an idea of a new approach that I’ll try, at least on BAMP.

Quote:
Oh also I realized the following plugins don't report their parameter changes to Reaper for the undo history:
Oh boy... You sure want to keep me busy, huh? I hadn’t even thought of the undo. I have no idea how to implement that, but I’ll learn.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:18 PM   #264
bolgwrad

Hi Mr Elwood, thanks for all your work, it's really made a difference to what I'm doing (donated)

I've got a strange issue with Complab 0.6 on latest Reaper on XPSP3, SSD drive, on the master channels. Even with all tracks muted, there's a (not apparently audible) noise up to 30Hz (see attachment). This is the same on 12 separate projects with all tracks muted, and all plugins disabled on the master track except Complab and Span.

Dunno if it's me or what.

Last edited by bolgwrad; 07-25-2021 at 02:13 PM.
bolgwrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #265
JamesPeters

I can't duplicate that (Linux). Do you have any other plugins on that track, or others that feed into it? Some plugins do that kind of thing (some Airwindows and SoundToys plugins, for instance).

Last edited by JamesPeters; 01-28-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:27 AM   #266
mrelwood

Thank you so much for your support, bolgwrad!

I actually saw that sub noise earlier as well, but was able to work around the issue that time. I wonder if I’ve changed something relevant since. The filters used in the sidechain section for some reason messed up the extreme low end.

Could you check if the Detector HP filter (defaults at 10Hz) has any effect?
Old 01-29-2020, 04:41 AM   #267
bolgwrad

Quote:
I can't duplicate that (Linux). Do you have any other plugins on that track, or others that feed into it? Some plugins do that kind of thing (some Airwindows and SoundToys plugins, for instance).
Quote:
I actually saw that sub noise earlier as well, but was able to work around the issue that time. I wonder if I’ve changed something relevant since. The filters used in the sidechain section for some reason messed up the extreme low end.

Could you check if the Detector HP filter (defaults at 10Hz) has any effect?
NB this glitch doesn't affect the sound in any way I can tell, it's just odd.

FYI I've got 2 soundcards: the MB soundcard and a 4-ch MAYA PCIe which Reaper uses. (Quite happily for years, touch wood).

Weird results, depending on whether I open a new or old project - which suggests it's me, but:

1/. Opened a blank project and just put Complab 0.6 and Span on the master - no sub noise.
Added tracks to this project with (a lot of) random plugins and templates - no sub noise.

2/. A regular project with 50 tracks and 1-4 plugins on each track, various inter-track sends, VSTis, etc - Span shows 30Hz at -39.1dB.
Removed all plugins - still there, except each plugin or track removed reduces the frequency equally, it drops to about 26Hz. Any single random track left behind without any plugins or master sends produces the 26Hz @ -39.1dB. Even with the master hardware sends removed. Without any tracks/channels, the noise goes - until I press 'play'. If I add a new blank track the subnoise returns, playing or not.

3/. No controls on Complab affect it apart from the Reaper wet/dry button - as I reduce the wet level the signal frequency jumps to 40Hz and then down again; 0% removes the noise. The Span display also spikes frequency-wise to about 90Hz when I press 'play' - even with no media in the tracks.

4/. Just to confuse things further, I opened a blank tab with just Complab and Span, and copied and pasted all tracks and media from a regular project that shows the subnoise. You guessed it - no subnoise in the new one.

Not sure any of this helps, sorry! As I say, functionally Complab works fine.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:11 PM   #268
mrelwood

http://b.link/mrelwood_CompLab_0v7

- All parameters support global Undo!
- Adjustable Attack Limiter! Limits the signal that get's through during the attack time
- Advanced M/S processing to retain stereo field
- Reworked attack and release shapes
- Mouse capture improvements
- Drag range tweaks

So, I guess I'll have to start adding Undo support for all my plugins at some point then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
NB this glitch doesn't affect the sound in any way I can tell, it's just odd.
Btw, I use channels 3-4 for data output while I code, to see the internal parameters on a scope. I have forgotten to remove the additional outputs a few times before as well, so it is possible that the CompLab 0.6 was also putting out some parameter in the extra channels. A constant value would indeed show as 0Hz "hum" on an analyzer, and everything you described would also support this.

I made sure that the CompLab 0.7 doesn't put out anything in the extra channels. I hope you could try to reproduce the issue.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #269
JamesPeters

Reaper's undo history shows parameter changes now, thanks!

I notice that some parameters like steepness of detector, while they do show up in the undo history, have a minor display issue. If I set that parameter to "1" for instance, then change it to "3", then undo (to "1" again), the display still shows "3" until I close and re-open the plugin, or resize it so that it re-draws.

Hit detection for the "grabbing" of nodes works better, thanks!

While on that subject though: in the "settings" dialog, depending on the size of the plugin sometimes it's impossible to select one setting or another. It seems to sometimes select the wrong value (as though it thinks the mouse is clicking 100 pixels to the right, for instance).

Oh and by the way I'm looking forward to LinkEQ! I don't suppose you plan to include harmonic generation in it as well?
Old 01-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #270
mrelwood

Quote:
I notice that some parameters like steepness of detector, while they do show up in the undo history, have a minor display issue.
Oh yes, some parameters didn't refresh automatically. Fixed!

Quote:
It seems to sometimes select the wrong value (as though it thinks the mouse is clicking 100 pixels to the right, for instance).
The mouse areas didn't take account different window sizes properly. Fixed!

http://b.link/mrelwood_CompLab_0v71

Quote:
Oh and by the way I'm looking forward to LinkEQ! I don't suppose you plan to include harmonic generation in it as well?
No... But HP and LP with variable steepness will be. Unfortunately there is still this audio glitching issue while dragging a node that I am still fighting to locate. That's why I haven't published the latest versions. If you are ok with that and would like to use a (slightly buggy) marquee select/remove, Cmd+Shft+click to set node shape, or a few older bug fixes, you might want to try the 0.72:

http://b.link/mrelwood_LinkEQ_0v72
Old 01-30-2020, 07:14 PM   #271
JamesPeters

Thanks! CompLab seems to be fixed now.

That's one handy EQ! Moving, shaping, and increasing/decreasing several bands at once is something I have wanted in an EQ for a while. Plus it just works so smoothly overall. I look forward to the final version!
Old 01-31-2020, 08:21 AM   #272
bolgwrad

Yep, great work Mr E, no sub issues with Complab any more.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:40 AM   #273
mrelwood

Quote:
That's one handy EQ!
Wait 'til you get the hang of the power in the marquee selection tool! I tried to summarise the essentials to a rewritten help section. Lots of small bugs fixed as well.

http://b.link/mrelwood_LinkEQ_0v73

Ps. You can update an older instances by first setting all as Single, then the source as Master and the new as Slave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolgwrad View Post
Yep, great work Mr E, no sub issues with Complab any more.
Good to hear, thanks!
Old 02-01-2020, 10:49 AM   #274
Eliseat

Quote:
Wait 'til you get the hang of the power in the marquee selection tool! I tried to summarise the essentials to a rewritten help section. Lots of small bugs fixed as well.

http://b.link/mrelwood_LinkEQ_0v73

Ps. You can update an older instances by first setting all as Single, then the source as Master and the new as Slave!

Good to hear, thanks!
Hi Mr Elwood,

wasn't LinkEQ supposed to be able to counteract certain band volumes from the master? If I change the 100% to -100% at the slave instance, nothing changes. I'm not sure if it was the function to negatively affect the master adjustments. But I'm sure that it worked in earlier versions.

By the way. Many thanks. Your plugins are pretty amazing and kind of unique. So you really have something in common with Sai'ke.

Greetings
Eli
Old 02-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #275
mrelwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
wasn't LinkEQ supposed to be able to counteract certain band volumes from the master? If I change the 100% to -100% at the slave instance, nothing changes. I'm not sure if it was the function to negatively affect the master adjustments. But I'm sure that it worked in earlier versions.
I do have to check, but at least the master volume link scaling (next to the volume button) seemed to work for me. But it only reacts to master volume settings from the Master instance. Per band gain scaling is adjusted at the Slave instance’s orange info box.

Quote:
By the way. Many thanks. Your plugins are pretty amazing and kind of unique. So you really have something in common with Sai'ke.
Thank you so much for the kind words! Why create plugins that have already been done, right?
Old 02-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #276
JamesPeters

I don't suppose you plan to include a "solo" (listen) band feature in LinkEQ? With that and HP/LP, it would probably be the only EQ I'd use. If not it might still be, though.

You're going to hate me...I have another idea. Unless this is already being planned of course. Could a slave have its bands be inverted compared to the master? It would be useful for emphasis/de-emphasis EQing. If master/slave in a single fx chain could be inverted and cancel each other completely/reliably, you could do stuff like this. With Reaper's parameter automation, it seems that a lot of EQs don't match up/scale the additive (on the positive/top side of the graph) EQ with the subtractive EQ bands (including ReaEQ). And in Linux there are much fewer choices for EQ plugins which will work this way.

I should also mention that your current naming scheme is problematic for compatibility between versions. If I use one of your plugins in a project and then I update the plugin with a new version, the new version will not be added to the project the next time I load it, so I'd have to load the new version myself and recreate the settings manually. Likewise any presets that I make for a particular plugin will not exist for the new version. Plus whatever fx folder preferences I've made for the plugin (categorizing your plugins by type in Reaper) will be lost when updating the plugin. If you are changing things between versions which make the plugins incompatible from one version to the next, then that makes sense. For instance if a control works differently in a later version. But if the basic functionality remains the same between versions, the plugin should be named such that it is consistent with a previous version. The file name and description tag should just have the name of the plug in and not the version. Version information should just be comments within the file. (I have been getting around this by renaming the files and the description tag.)

Testing LinkEQ later today, and I had the output "explode" on me (+144 dB) while doing something like moving a band. I can't seem to replicate it but I'll let you know if it happens again. Reaper's clipping protection kicked in anyway (I have its threshold set really low just in case).

Last edited by JamesPeters; 02-01-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:18 PM   #277
mrelwood

I noticed that the LinkEQ undo support doesn't work after all. I added the exact same parameters I did with CompLab, but nothing registers. Will keep digging.

Also, the individual link scaling was indeed broken. Fixed for 0.74.

Quote:
I don't suppose you plan to include a "solo" (listen) band feature in LinkEQ?
I don't think I will, unfortunately. I have just personally never found a way to implement it to my workflow, and I can't see how to do it in a way that would be useful.

Quote:
Could a slave have its bands be inverted compared to the master?
But dear James, exactly that feature is why I made the LinkEQ in the first place! The Slave's info box has a link scaling parameter that runs from -100% to 100%. But that is exactly the feature Eliseat found to have been broken lately... Hold on for 0.74!

Quote:
I should also mention that your current naming scheme is problematic for compatibility between versions.
Yes, I'm sadly aware. My plan was to name the file ...1v0 and having smaller updates make the version 1.01 etc, which would then update effortlessly. But I have yet to even reach 1.0 on most of my plugins, and planning for a change log beforehand is completely impossible in the scale I do all this. For the amps it's been clear, every version has tweaked (or overhauled) the sounds, so I have needed to make them clearly separate plugins already for the projects I use them on myself. I hope I can reach 1.0 on more of my plugins so I would at least get to try the naming plan in action.

Quote:
Testing LinkEQ later today, and I had the output "explode" on me (+144 dB) while doing something like moving a band.
Yep. That right there is the glitch I mentioned earlier, which I have had zero success locating, other that it happens only when the nodes are dragged. I suspected it to be a memory space overlap between the analyzer sample buffers and the graphics, but further tests haven't supported the idea. It seems to be more common when having more EQ nodes in a larger project. This issue is what's keeping LinkEQ from entering 1.0, which is generally when I add them to mrelwoodplugins.ml .
Old 02-01-2020, 07:23 PM   #278
mrelwood

Quote:
I noticed that the LinkEQ undo support doesn't work after all.
Aaaand... fixed!

LinkEQ 0.74:
- Fixed undo
- Fixed individual link
(Occasional audio glitch while dragging remains.)

http://b.link/mrelwood_LinkEQ_0v74
Old 02-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #279
JamesPeters

Thanks for your replies! I wondered about the linking aspect and thought I might be missing something about how it worked.

Quote:
I don't think I will, unfortunately. I have just personally never found a way to implement it to my workflow, and I can't see how to do it in a way that would be useful.
The reason I find it useful sometimes: when trying to pinpoint a specific frequency that I find problematic in some way, it can help to cut out distractions by using a "solo band" feature (currently I'm using it in ReEQ by "nitsuj"). It's not something that's critical for me but it has some value to me.
Old 02-01-2020, 11:11 PM   #280
mrelwood

Quote:
when trying to pinpoint a specific frequency that I find problematic in some way, it can help to cut out distractions by using a "solo band" feature
I do understand that some people prefer to do it that way, whichever works! I prefer to hear the relations of the adjacent frequencies, which is why I sweep either with a sharp peak or a valley.

If I make the list of EQ modes tighter heightwise, I can imagine a BPF filter fitting in there though...

Btw, I noticed that the range of the width setting of the HSF/LSF is a bit off, so that steep and deep cuts for example may have a large resonance that the visual presentation doesn’t show. Will ”calibrate”... But I want to dedicate a few days to AmpEra right now, since the published version lags quite a bit behind.