Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 07-12-2019, 03:58 AM   #1
mccrabney
Human being with feelings

Default midi editor: "sync to arrange view" de-centers midi edit cursor, etc

right now, "sync to arrange" in midi editor essentially assumes that the user is only ever using a bottom-docked midi editor. this severely limits its application.

i recently enabled "sync to arrange view" in order to use renostraws' "adaptive grid" script.

however, due to the behavior demonstrated in the gif below, this causes a fullscreen midi editor's edit cursor to appear right of center (unless TCP is completely hidden)

behavior that causes issue: moving midi editor screen causes content to move. note that when you fullscreen the midi editor, the edit cursor appears right of center because of the space occupied by TCP.

this makes for bad movement of cursor when zooming in/out and all around disorienting workflow.

if i disable "sync to arrange view" i lose the adaptive grid, which sucks.

this behavior, as demonstrated by EvilDragon years ago, also completely bones the "sync to arrange view" function for MIDI editing if the midi editor is on a horizontally adjacent monitor, as it will only display midi before/after your arrange view content, depending on whether it's on the left or right of your main screen.

we need to be able to determine a position for both arrange and midi editor windows BEFORE setting their sync, so that the windows can be in the desired position yet still reflect the expected focus.

Last edited by mccrabney; 07-12-2019 at 04:04 AM.
mccrabney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 AM   #2
EvilDragon

Yes, please make this happen... I want to have MIDI editor synced to arrange, but this should not require the MIDI editor to be positioned vertically only against arrange. I know why this feature was implemented (to overlay MIDI editor with some transparency in the docker, against the audio peaks in arrange...) but there's other workflows this sync would be useful for, and they are just impossible in Reaper because of (frankly dumb) limitations like this.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-12-2019 at 04:17 AM.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:17 AM   #3
mccrabney

thanks ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I know why this feature was implemented (to overlay MIDI editor with some transparency in the docker, against the audio peaks in arrange...)
"but! if this changes, the one person who uses a transparent docker midi editor this will be upset!" /s

seriously, other than the cool demonstration gif (that i think YOU uploaded years ago), i've never seen nor heard of people actually doing this non-academically.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:46 AM   #4
EvilDragon

That linked screenshot was not mine, though. I think that was gofer's. I never used that theme. Also my recollection of a demonstration GIF about this seems non-existent, but hell... 23000 posts, I can't remember all of them

(Oh wow, I passed 23k 3 posts ago! )

I think the solution is simply having a second sync mode. Leave the current one as is (rename it, if need be), and add a new one that works properly and as we'd expect it...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:52 AM   #5
mccrabney

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
(Oh wow, I passed 23k 3 posts ago! )
hats off to you. i swore i remember seeing you back in 07 but i just checked and you joined in 09. you've been busy.

Quote:
I think the solution is simply having a second sync mode. Leave the current one as is (rename it, if need be), and add a new one that works properly and as we'd expect it...
whatever it takes.

Last edited by mccrabney; 07-12-2019 at 08:45 AM. Reason: attempted maturity
Old 02-24-2020, 01:54 AM   #6
EpicSounds

Fixed in 6.02
+ MIDI editor: sync timebase to arrange view without re-centering [t=222938]
Old 04-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #7
bwsd

I use a not attached docker.
And this decision (# MIDI editor: restore previous synced timebase behavior when MIDI editor is docked at top or bottom of main REAPER window) is not enough.
bwsd is offline   Reply With Quote